Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Does CK distinguish between Sunni and Shia? If yes, which one are you, if not, which one will you pick in EU3?

e: oops, missed it. OK.

I think right now, Azerbaijan is Shia. I'm not sure if that's always been the case (for the ruling classes), though.

Edit, according to Wikipedia:

quote:

The local dynasty of Shirvanshahs became a vassal state of Timur's Empire and assisted him in his war with the ruler of the Golden Horde Tokhtamysh. Following Timur's death two independent and rival states emerged: Kara Koyunlu and Ak Koyunlu. The Shirvanshahs returned, maintaining a high degree of autonomy as local rulers and vassals from 861 until 1539. During their persecution by the Safavids, the last dynasty imposed Shia Islam upon the formerly Sunni population,[43][44][45] as it was battling against the Sunni Ottoman Empire.[46]

So presumably in Crusader Kings they should indeed be Sunni.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Frionnel posted:

They're sunni in the 1187 start.

Yes, by 'right now' I meant in real life, 2011. Should have specified.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

eating only apples posted:

Thanks a lot, Wiz. You've got me playing EUIII again and I (still) have no idea what I'm doing. I played for a while as Ryazan and got steamrollered by Muscowy and Lithuania. Now I'm Castille because it seemed to be the easiest one and I'm still losing money and can't make more and Aragon won't loving accept my marriage proposal. I hate this game :argh:

EUIII is at its most difficult in the beginning. Just hang on and you will get a lot more breathing room, to the point that you will probably quit somewhere in the 17th century because there is no challenge left. Also, why would you ever play as Ryazan? Even for a pro, it would be hard to survive.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"SHALL. WE. CONQUER. SOME. BROWN. PEOPLE?"

Yes, those Swedes; militant Christians and notorious racists, every last one of 'em.

Can people stop with this 'brown people' thing already? It's so...cheap.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lonelywurm posted:

Well, first off, no one's suggesting it's some failing of the Swedish character, so relax. Second of all, one does not have to be explicitly racist or militantly Christian in order to be ethnocentric, and it's not unreasonable to point out that ethnocentrism and its effects on gameplay.

Plus, this isn't D&D, I'm pretty sure jokes are still allowed here.

To be fair, some of the criticism is justified. From what I've seen, it should be much harder for Europeans to conquer muslims in Crusader Kings - though I understand muslims start out with superior military units, so I don't really know why it keeps happening.

However, some of it is a little bizarre, like the complaints about the fact that the interior of Africa is inaccessible to non-natives in Paradox games. As far as I know, this is fairly historically accurate. How exactly should Paradox have handled it?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Eiba posted:

world where pretty much everyone who's not white exist without agency as a mere background for the European protagonists to tell their stories.

In other words, the world between 1600 and 1950.

However, I will admit that Crusader Kings seems to have an unjustified 'Eurocentric' bias, but in its defense, it is called Crusader Kings.

Edit: yes, I agree this is a little off-topic for an LP. We should take it to the general Paradox thread.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Manic Mole posted:

4) Yes, does this mean dinosaurs?

Do people realize that the Flintstones does not offer an accurate description of prehistoric times? Dinosaurs went extinct over sixty million years before the first creatures vaguely resembling modern human beings appeared.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As regards the 'Dutch' Baltic, I'm not sure why people are equating Dutch and Frisian. Frisian belongs to the Anglo-Frisian branch of West Germanic languages, while Dutch is a collection of Low Franconian dialects. In the early Middle Ages, the Frisian-speaking area ran along the entire North Sea coast from Bruges to the border of Denmark, and today Frisians are found both in the Netherlands and in Germany. There is really no compelling reason to call Frisia specifically 'Dutch', especially in an alt-history scenario in which an ascendant Frisia has remained independent so far.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wiz posted:

Because a large part of it was conquered by Brabant as well (Estonia and Samogitia to be specific) and even Holland grabbed a province there... it really was a Dutch crusade of sorts.

Ah. Okay, in that case I suppose it is reasonable to call it a Dutch area, though the Frisians get shafted once more. Poor guys; it is their destiny.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I figured it was because Manx nationalists were rioting in the streets when EU3 came out and it didn't include the Isle of Man.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

the JJ posted:

Yeah, I had to force myself through the the Mayan/Anasazi bits, for whatever reason, and I kinda blew through the last few chapters (the, 'so what should we do' bits).

Still, pretty fun stuff in there, surprisingly relevant to the madness of this thread. Discussion on the Greenland settlements, why the Mayans imploded before the Europeans showed up, how the shogunate managed to avoid raping their land, stuff.

I thought Collapse was a fairly interesting book, especially the bits about the Greenlandic settlements, since it was gripping to read about a community that is completely isolated from the rest of the world and slowly dying out. The only parts I skipped through were the ones about his personal experiences in the US state of Montana or something, I don't even know.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I played an epic game as Norway once where I got crushed by Sweden, fled across the Atlantic, moved my capital to my North American colonies, expanded, built up my forces and came back to take my revenge on Sweden. It was very satisfying. I had no interest in forming Scandinavia or whatever; I just wanted to wipe out every Swede in existence.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

theblastizard posted:

The one game where I expected to get crushed and be forced to flee to America eventually saw me ignored by every power in Europe as I slowly waited for cores in America so I could move over there and get more money because my one province in Europe is incredibly poor.

I have to admit I wouldn't have been able to pull it off with inflation turned on in my case, since I really minted a lot. It still felt satisfying, though. At one point, as I was getting clobbered by Sweden but was not yet firmly established in North America, two native federations actually managed to re-declare independence. From me. The player. That was an absolute nadir in the history of Norway.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ChaosSamusX posted:

So, I think I'm picking up on EU3 (other than I still don't know how to get a positive monthly income), but dear god alliances are horrible. I didn't even think there were a million people in Europe at this point, let alone a million armed people ready to flock to the aid of Achaea (this actually happened to me as the Ottomans).

You didn't think there were a million people in Europe? I think your sense of scale is a little off.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lonelywurm posted:

To be fair, a million soldiers represents around 2% of the entire estimated population of Europe at 1450, which is when I start seeing those sort of death armies.

Uhh...what version of EUIII are you playing? The great powers usually have a couple of armies made up of about thirty regiments, but nothing close to a million soldiers. At least not at the beginning of the game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MadPierrot posted:

As far as I know the black horse on the yellow field is a Paradox invention and was used in this game for the Hauteville CoA and the shield for Naples.

It's the Ferrari logo, but I don't know what its origin is.

Edit: Ferrari itself, it seems.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

It's a rooster from the Coat of Arms of Kenya. I though that Valois was filed with Walloons when I made the flag (and the Walloonian symbol is a rooster) but its still awesome anyways.

I think Valois was actually in the modern-day French department of Picardy. Though Picard is historically also spoken in a small part of modern-day Wallonia, Walloon is a separate language.

I love the idea of giving the Walloon rooster an axe, though. Sort of evens the odds against the Flemish lion.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Frionnel posted:

You really went far with this one didn't you?

Wow, the Kenyan coat of arms actually does have a rooster with an axe. And lions.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

It hasn't gotten a lot of attention in this LP, but the Low Countries look exciting. Brabant and Flanders are going to be pretty powerful, and the area is a lot more unified than historically in 1400. The first two will probably be among the most powerful in the HRE, taking a back seat only to Burgundy.

Flanders got lucky, because it looks like in whatever version Wiz is using Vlaanderen has been split into Vlaanderen and Gent.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

nimby posted:

Change Ghent to Gent, which is the correct Dutch spelling. Bit silly to have the Dutch names for Vlaanderen and Antwerpen, but then throw in Ghent.

If Artois is Flemish, it could be called Artesië. But it'd depend on how long it's been part of Flanders.

Agree about Gent, but it's such a minor flaw that it doesn't really matter. I think province names are dependent on the culture of the province and not on the dominant culture of its owner, so Artois would still be Artois, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wiz posted:

I still need a few flags if someone wants to work on them. Right now, I need Orthodox Ruthenian Crimea and Jewish Astrakhan.

I'll be happy as long as you include the axe-wielding rooster flag somehow.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dibujante posted:

One day someone will make an eu3 mod in which Europe starts as poor as it was historically.

Seriously, it's as if Johan took one look at Germany in 1934 and said "North Germany's a powerhouse! Better mod its tax and manpower values up!"

What? No, the Hanseatic League was a pretty big deal in 1399. I think North Germany is actually relatively poor compared to the rest of Germany nowadays, possibly even before the DDR was created.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 12, 2011

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone have any data on how poor Europe was relative to the rest of the world at the time? There's a lot of naked assertions being tossed around.

From the Renaissance on, Medieval Europe has gotten retconned as being absolutely terrible in every respect, but 13th-century Europe was actually quite advanced and wealthy. They just got hosed up by the Black Plague in the middle of the 14th century, which should perhaps be reflected in EUII's Grand Campaign. Still, it is ironically amusing to see the 'omg Eurocentrism' crowd unthinkingly accept the distorted depiction of the Middle Ages that has been offered by European modernity for centuries.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wiz posted:

Europe is still overrepresented in terms of tax and manpower, when you consider that more people lived in China than in all of Europe. Still, I think the issue is more other areas being made oddly impoverished, and the extreme tax base in Germany. It's a game, so some level of abstraction is necessary if you want to recreate any kind of historical plausibility, but the Eurocentricism is pretty glaring when you look at things like unit balance, tax in Asia, or the fact that Africa doesn't even have cavalry.

The high tax values for Hanseatic cities, Flanders/Brabant, North Italy,...are fairly accurate, but manpower should historically be a lot lower. I agree with that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

I've always thought that a "pitched battle" was just an intense battle

Same here. You learn something new every day.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nevets posted:

Don't worry we're almost done. We've passed the Off-Topic Discussion phase, and we just finished the Satirizing Off-Topic Discussion phase, and you just started the final phase: Posting About the Off-Topic Discussion while Complaining About it Being Posted.

And then there's the meta-posts.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Voting C. This limp-wristed notion of 'tolerance' is useless in our quest to spread Islam and Azeri culture.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I love seeing my name there. Makes me feel important.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

the JJ posted:

I love all this 'millet is tolerance' thing. It's a really fun, complex, issue.

Besides, for all the people referencing the Ottoman empire, look where their supposed tolerance got them in Victoria II's timeline. Turkey ended up turning into an ultra-nationalist rump state.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

skipThings posted:

That's for fourhundred years in the future

Just sayin', tolerance in pre-modernity does not necessarily translate to tolerance in modernity and vice versa.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ubern00b posted:

Yay, a Flemish Netherlands! You should change the provincename Holland to 'Olland.

I'm a bit more concerned with their religious policy. Their state religion seems to be Protestantism despite the fact that only Vlaanderen and Friesland are Protestant. I know Vlaanderen is the capital, but seriously, the next few decades are going to hurt unless they get lucky and manage to convert the other provinces quickly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

theblastizard posted:

Wouldn't it be Flemish Florida?

No, for the same reason that the Dutch East Indies weren't called the Hollandic East Indies.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Mali is richer and has higher Trade Efficiency than Mega-Netherlands? :psyduck:

Mega? The LP's timeline features the Netherlands as it should have been rather than the two rump states with arbitrary borders that we have today.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

nimby posted:

I dunno about the Holland-Dutch names for colonies, the Netherlands in this LP did form out of Flanders, which has the same language but a different use of words.

On the other hand, Flanders/Belgium never really colonized outside of Belgian Congo, so coming up with names would be pretty hard.

I think some people are approaching this rather anachronistically. Flanders refers strictly and exclusively to the actual county of Flanders in this timeline, since the rift between the Southern and the Northern Netherlands never occurred. While West-Flemish colony names could potentially be hilarious, we should just use general Dutch nomenclature with perhaps a focus on Flemish place names such as Bruges and Ghent.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

nimby posted:

Phlegmish, there's going to be some divide at least, Flanders was independent for a few centuries and fought/conquered the other Dutch nations. There's even a similar religious divide (although it's not christian/protestant).

I think in real life it was actually Brabant rather than Flanders that was dominant both economically and lingustically at this point in history. There is no reason for Holland, on the other hand, to ever develop beyond the relative backwater that it was during the Middle Ages.

In any case, though it might not make much sense, I don't think anyone will be mortally offended if this LP's Netherlands is inspired by today's Northern Netherlands for simplicity's sake. It's just fun to sperge about.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kainser posted:

Yeah, there will definitely still be a south/north divide due to various reasons.

Other than Dutch/Low Franconian being almost a minority language above the Moerdijk, I don't see why that would be the case.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kainser posted:

The obvious religious divide and the fact that most trade and capital flows through the recently conquered Friesland.

Today's religious divide is nothing more than the result of the outcome of the Eighty Years' War. Flanders and Brabant (particularly Antwerp) were hotbeds of Protestantism, first Lutheranism and later Calvinism. In fact, the Iconoclastic Fury (Beeldenstorm) in which churches were sacked and Catholic imagery destroyed started in Steenvoorde, which is in modern-day French Flanders, and spread throughout the rest of the Netherlands from there.

On the other hand, it is true that in the Dutch Republic Noord-Brabant and Nederlands-Limburg remained principally Catholic. I wonder how that came to be.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MadPierrot posted:

I figured that it wouldn't last so I didn't expect the flag to get used, but I thought I'd at least give it a try. We actually might need to get the iconography for the Dutch straight, because the red lion we're using now is the symbol for Holland, and IIRC Flanders was the nation to form the Netherlands. No House of Orange so far means no Lion of Nassau though, so at least there's that point of divergence!

Agreed. Also glad I'm not the only one who would actually sperge about this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Excitedly checked thread because of 43 new posts. Everyone stop posting until Wiz puts out a new update.

This is why we need to do away with democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is off-topic, but is there a thread about Dawntide on SA? I can't find one at first glance.

• Locked thread