Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Hohenzollern LP is what got me into Paradox games (and Something Awful) in the first place, so I'm really excited to be getting in on the ground floor for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Two updates ago merely surviving was an issue, now we're the Persian Empire.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So let's say our current king dies and has two sons. One inherits Khwarizm and the other inherits Azerbaijan. Does the newly-formed Khwarizm Kingdom have some "default" set of laws, or does it have all the same laws as Azerbaijan? I can see our semisalic gavelkind doing a lot of long-term damage to the region if the latter is the case.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ungrateful bastards. Ertan deals the heathens their greatest defeat in generations, doing more to push Christianity back than the real life Saladin ever dreamed, and the whole Ummah turns on him.

Of course, Ertan's bad reputation can be mitigated by distributing all the land he conquered to his faithful subjects and courtiers, but with such a low stewardship attribute and his warchest used up, it'll be hard to bribe convince many of his grumbling vassals to stay loyal.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Well, you could play as the Pope or a Mongol since they get no demesne size penalties.

New plan: Convert Mongols to Islam; marry into Mongol bloodline

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
God has granted Ertan victory against the Western heathens, now let the Eastern heathens come and face the sword of Islam.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wiz posted:

Ertan is Lustful, Vengeful, Selfish, Cruel, Energetic, Proud and Indulgent.

No, he is not a nice person. Not a nice person at all.

And yet popular history will probably remember him as a great conqueror and the savior of Islam.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Fosterling doesn't directly affect the stats of a character like most traits do, all it does is serve as a trigger for certain events. It goes away shortly after they turn 16.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

theblastizard posted:

How exactly did CK do Timur?

It doesn't.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

theblastizard posted:

I just figured he was a high martial leader of some random Khanate.

CK doesn't have any historical characters that are set to appear at a particular time aside from those who exist at the beginning of a campaign. The deterministic nature of the game makes scenarios even remotely similar to history go out the window within 20 years of starting a campaign. If you start the game in 1066, for example, it wouldn't make sense for Richard the Lionheart to suddenly come into being a century later since the moment the player takes control in 1066 all sorts of stuff could happen that would prevent Eleanor of Aquitaine or Henry II from even existing, much less getting married and having a son.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So, uh, how long until the Mongols stop getting reinforcements?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What's the religious map look like?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm kinda hoping we end up spending 40 years wandering in the desert before winding up back in our homeland.

This LP embodies the spirit of CK probably more than any other with its constant reversals followed by great triumphs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Glorious Alexandria, Third Baku

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm rooting for Brabant to take most of the Low Countries by 1399. An early united Netherlands would be awesome.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

theblastizard posted:

A scenario randomizer would be more ideal if we had had a full Vanilla EU3 LP.

What I'd really like to see is someone play with the EU3 random map generator set to randomize only the new world. Especially if they don't tell the audience that until they actually discover the new world. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with DW.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That Poland LP looked like it was going down the route of becoming a liberal constitutional monarchy. It would have made an interesting change from being a conservative Catholic monarchy like in Wiz's and Fintilgin's previous megathreads.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Viola the Mad posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy can't wait for next update :holy:

He sounds like someone from the Srjbyzantium LP. Where did you get this guy from, Wiz?

If he was in the Serbia LP he would have been elected Emperor in a heartbeat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You're a lot more unlucky than I ever was in regards to rulers getting injured in battle.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's always the chance that the vassals could convert :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How could you just let the Unnamed Infant Dynasty die out like that?

edit: never mind :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
As I'm sure we all know, the entire coast of Africa had been colonized by European countries by 1820.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nevets posted:

Don't know if it's true in CK, but EU3 blobs can all be blamed on the terrible 'lucky' nations option unless you turn it off. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to give France a further leg up? You start EU3 and invariably within 50 years they've blobbed up almost all of modern day french lands, which would make them the most powerful nation in Europe to begin with.

Lucky Nations is paradox's way of subtly pushing for historical results. The root problem is that the AI is too retarded to handle large empires, so without lucky nations you have England and France (post-HTTT, anyway) and Muscovy and Castile collapsing nearly every single game.

Personally, I play with Lucky Nations off.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If only one could mod the AI to be more intelligent about what land it grabs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Paradox games are worse than crack.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wiz posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a ruler with such terrible stats that didn't have some really horrible trait like crazed or schizophrenia.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

How are u posted:

I've never played a Paradox game before, or followed any of the other Paradox LPs. I don't understand any of the game mechanics but I have enjoyed the narrative so far!

And that's all that matters :v:

It was reading LPs on these forums, particularly Wiz's spectacular Hohenzollern Dynasty LP that got me into Paradox games to begin with. LPs on Something Awful actually taught me pretty much everything I needed to know about Paradox games.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What's the ethnic composition of Armenia look like?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wiz posted:

1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign?
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion?
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island?
4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent?
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile?

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. :hellyeah:
5. Yes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kainser posted:

e; I'm happy that Timur surviving is in the lead. Timur owns. (even though it doesn't make much sense that he shows up after 300 years of alternate history, but whatever.)

In the Hohenzollern LP, Otto von Bismarck showed up after 700 years of alt history. Basically, if a historical figure is awesome or interesting enough, then he's immune to the butterfly effect. Kinda like how in every alternate history that leads up to the late 20th century, Nixon always exists and is usually a used car dealer.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tomn posted:

I meant in the voting results, what with most losing results needing like 50 votes just to break even.

I think pretty much everyone interested in this LP's already voted and the current vote isn't likely to change. Unless there's like a huge flood of Shogunate fanboys that suddenly register.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I know nothing about Islamic vexillology (other than obvious stuff like the color green, star and crescent, etc) but I imagine Andalusia's flag would hearken back to the Caliphate of Cordoba. Unfortunately, I can't find any sort of symbol of the Caliphate, the closest I can find is the modern city of Cordoba's flag, the history of which I don't know anything about. But perhaps Andalusia's flag could be some derivation of this.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reveilled posted:

I miss the system EU2 had, where the Coat of Arms and the flag were seperate entites, so that, for example, Scotland's shield would show a Lion Rampant, but their flag would be the traditional white-on-blue saltire.

Judging from CK2's Dev Diaries, it looks like it's going to have a similar system

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hyord posted:

What in that screenshot says that? I can only see two flags in that, and ones for England and the other for the duchy of Normandy.

Below William's portrait looks like the coat of arms of the "de Normandie" dynasty. It's not a coat of arms for a country, but it's the coat of arms for dynasties. Which makes sense in CK.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MadPierrot posted:

The Greek kingdoms are not Byzantine successor or pretender states. They were set up by Italy in the aftermath of their Crusade (which wasn't actually a formal crusade), so they're not really Byzantine. And there is absolutely no reason for three people to quote the same thing three times in a row.

Nicaea and Thessalonica had been independent since before Italy invaded Byzantium. I imagine all three of the independent greek states (Nicaea, Thessalonica, and especially Cherson) are entertaining notions of recapturing Constantinople.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Darth Windu posted:

What happens if the Seljuk Turks conquer Byzantium in CK? I've never seen it happen before. Do they become the Ottomans?

No, the only time the Ottomans exist is if you start in the Hundred Years War scenario. Nothing special happens when the Seljuks (or for that matter anyone else) capture Constantinople.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Patter Song posted:

I wouldn't say that nothing happens, in my CK game when the Seljuks pulled it off they moved their capital to Constantinople despite it being one of only two provinces they owned in Europe.

Probably has something to do with how when a realm's capital is lost they move their capital to the highest-income province in their demesne that's within the land of their primary title. Since there's no land associated with the Seljuk title, I suppose that means they can move their capital to the wealthiest province anywhere in their demesne, which Constantinople is likely to be.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It hasn't gotten a lot of attention in this LP, but the Low Countries look exciting. Brabant and Flanders are going to be pretty powerful, and the area is a lot more unified than historically in 1400. The first two will probably be among the most powerful in the HRE, taking a back seat only to Burgundy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wouldn't it make more sense for most of Europe for rank 1 of monarchy to be "Duchy?" Unless countries like the French HRE states are big enough to be considered Kingdoms, they seem more like duchies to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wiz posted:

Yes, western principalities are duchies. You know you can change how government titles appear based on culture/religion, right?

Principality = Duchy

feudal_principality_christian;Feudal Duchy;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

Ah, yeah, that's what I was trying to suggest but, looking at my post, I don't think I made it very clear. :shobon:

• Locked thread