Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Is Mann still a power on the map?

Also, if you would permit me a tangent, what is the deal with the Isle of Mann and Paradox LPs? Aside from the kickass flag, of course. Did someone use them in some abandoned LP?

And if not, then why hasn't anyone used them yet? I can see it now...

(Mann and Cheese: Let's Break the Paradox Games! ...And your leader would be Saxton Hale. :allears:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

You mean the Isle of Lesbos?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Can you even send troops to Morocco at all? It might be fun to push around an African nation or two if you could manage to support them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Really? That'd be one heck of a march! Not to mention that you'd need military access from the Ottomans(?), Syria, Egypt, and Tunisia(?), in that order.

*EDIT* OR, could you build boats in Morocco and have them pick up your troops?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

LordBaxter posted:

So after russia stops guaranteeing armenia and we annex it and kurdistan where next?

I say that if we can inherit Morocco, we need to try our hand at colonization. May the Azeri-Moor Dual Sultanate live for a hundred generations!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Let's see, our current ruler is a military minded leader, with no wars to fight... Maybe we can try and restore Azerbaijan to its past glory by conquering/owning Syria once more! :smug:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I was just thinking about this, and was wondering how easy it would be to add a new mechanic to the mod for the AIs and people that aren't playing in the Western Tech-sphere: National Competition.

Basically, the mod would look for areas of "Balkanization", and apply a bonus modifer to research for the nations in those areas. China and the East would be a good example based on the current map.

The logical idea is that since there are a number of semi-stable states all vying for position in what should be a larger country, the rulers of those states would take advantage of whatever advantages they have available to them, and maybe even by luring artisans and intellectuals from other courts. Yeah, it's silly, but it would allow for slightly stronger Eastern AI, and we might get something as awesome as Wu colonizing the east coast of Africa, or maybe even the New World!

(And yeah, this is inspired by the last chapter of Guns, Germs, and Steel, one of those books that's almost unavoidable in these kinds of threads)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Proposition Joe posted:

Because if there is one thing the Balkans is known for, it's its technological innovation.

Okay, not exactly the best choice of words.

It doesn't have to bring the tech level all the way up to the Western Group, just a mild buff to research. Also, it would be based on cultural groups to establish if an area is a "nation" or not: The Balkan states have a great deal of different cultures, so they wouldn't receive a benefit. I think this would be most effective in these kinds of Mega-LPs, where the game being played can be extremely different from the OTL.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

steinrokkan posted:

So you are basically proposing to give bonuses to civil war plagued regions?

Well, yes and no. Do you consider the HRE to be plagued by civil war? Because as a collective it was one of the most industrious and innovative areas at the time, and yet I've heard it described as "balkanized". Besides, the OPMs seem to often lead in tech and trade, so it makes gameplay sense to give analogous geography a similar benefit.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I might be wrong, but it looks like Crete already belongs to Italy: I wouldn't recommend going up against a world power just to try and gain a small ally.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Patter Song posted:

It belongs to Armenia.

Huh. Why so it is.

Do you think our current fleet could take it?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Wiz posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll be done before the halfway point in CK.

How about the Mongols? Will you take the time to nip that little invasion in the bud?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Supeerme posted:

:godwin:

In a nutshell:

Hitler = Hitler.
Leaders = Just as evil.
Citizens & Soldiers = Sin of omission/following orders.

Instead, lets talk about the LP, huh? Just think about the progression of topics that led us here:

National Flags--> Coats of Arms--> Insane CoA--> Mahjong--> Satirical Mahjong Manga--> Nazis.

Keep in mind that the linking element, The Legend of Koizumi, features Hitler going "Super-Aryan" where he gets super-mahjong powers and his hair goes all blond and spiky.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

theblastizard posted:

The Triskellion could end in even more legs.

Three is fine for me, thanks. :downs:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

CommissarMega posted:

Good thing I managed to get up before I metadetrain!

Also fortunate that you weren't at the subway, 'cause you would've metadethirdrail. And that would be bad.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tulip posted:

I also have to say that Mali in this game is really the most shocking thing. A huge, wealthy, militarized sub Saharan nation with 0 inflation in EU3 is just mind blowing. That thing also makes Qurighar look really drat doomed at this point.

Actually, it's not that bizarre historically speaking. You see in real life, at some point before the renaissance the king of Mali made a pilgrimage to Mecca. Since Mali was a wealthy country at the time, the king insisted that a massive procession be made across the Sahara with a large amount of gold. They made it across the desert, but not without significant losses.

Another trouble spot for the king was Cairo, along the way to Mecca. The merchants there saw how much the king was willing to spend, and raised their prices accordingly, and wound up robbing the King and his followers blind. The sudden influx of so much gold into the Mediterranean caused several economic effects, most notably in paying for many of the works of the renaissance. Unfortunately, this adventure bankrupted Mali, turning Timbuktu from a economic powerhouse into a ghost town, only remembered as a funny name today.

It wouldn't take a far stretch of the imagination for the King of Mali not to take such an extravagant trip, and for Mali's wealth to remain concentrated in Mali.

(Take this with a grain of salt: I learned about this from Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe Part 3 (Or maybe it was part 2...). His telling of history, as well as my recounting of it, is far more anecdotal than the average publication, and may have errors. Would appreciate it if one of the bigger history buffs could double check for me. Correlation does not equal causation, and a funny story might not be the reason for the collapse of an empire)

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 7, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

LordBaxter posted:

Might not want to spoiler that as it's not a spoiler.

Spoiler removed. I enjoy Gonick's stuff since it lets you look at things from a different viewpoint that you typically get in history books, and his series does an admirable job of covering all the bases as is possible in a legitimately entertaining way.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dibujante posted:

The American South is too complex and confusing for me to do anything but gently mock it from time to time.

To be perfectly honest, I LIVE in the "American South", and I STILL don't understand how it can be so insane. I was raised on the coast of South Carolina, that strip between Savannah and Charleston for those of you who are interested. Maybe that area has become less biased over time than surrounding areas... I just find it hilarious that even this far south we put the blame for redneck crazy poo poo onto OTHER states, usually Alabama, while still producing some unbelievable nuggets of insanity ourselves. (Stephen Colbert is actually from Charleston, SC)

But back to flagchat:

Propisition Joe posted:

^^^I think that's an early design for the South Carolina state flag. Not sure how the crescent moon has remained a feature, but that friggin' palmetto spruces up the flag quite nicely

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Uhhhhhh...

I think by "colors" Magrov meant the design of the flag itself, not "red, white, blue". There's actually a fairly narrow range of colors for standards and flags.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Oooh! If Netherlands Florida revolts, it needs to become the Orange Republic or some variant.

Also, do you guys think that the two sections of British North America would come together to form the USA, or are the areas too culturally distinct?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

NihilCredo posted:

Meh, "America" comes from a random Florentine explorer even though Florence never held so much as an islet in the continent.

"United States of Columbia" is something that's being thrown around in the IRC. I like it as a viable alternative to "America": Columbus discovered the continent, wouldn't be surprised if it got named after him :v:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nice set of turns! I think Burak has one more Russian War in him, time to make our status as "World Power" count!

Also, I take it we've earned our status as a Power by merit of our insanely competent army and the dynamic personality of our Sultan? Hopefully one of those Royal Marriages pulls through and we get some proper blobbing. A return to our glorious CK borders... :allears:

*EDIT*
As an aside, how many other nations have the "World Power" modifier?

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 24, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Seriously: The first chance we get, we need to knock Russia down a few pegs. ~2000+ income over the colonial trading empires, as well as being at the bleeding edge of modern tech? Clearly something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Wiz posted:

The Russians had what was basically a proto-national army based on peasant conscription while everyone else was using mercenaries. It wasn't an 'elite' army but it had the advantage of much greater cohesiveness and ability to drum up reinforcements than the other armies of the early modern era.

^This is pretty much the way I heard it: Russia was feared not by the skill of its soldiers but by just how many conscripts they could throw at one target.

We don't need to do any more blobbing at this stage, but an alliance war against Russia would be a good option (As well as fun to watch) if only to make the Bear release a few minor states in Asia. That way we can gain a little more breathing space when we get smacked hard in Vicky with "Demographics". :jewish:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 25, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hyord posted:

I'm giddy with anticipation of what a free, forward thinking Russia holds for the world. :allears:

That's actually an interesting thought, but all this means very BAD things for Azerbaijan. Russia can still be enlightened after loosing a few territories...

Thread posted:

Ottoman WWI Chat

One of the books I've read recently is titled Behemoth, which is an alternate-history fiction that talks about the SMS Goeben event. In a nutshell, the C.U.P. failed to overthrow the sultanate in 1908, so the revolution festered until they tried again soon after the Goeben pulled into Istanbul. They succeed, and with the change in government Turkey remains neutral in WWI.

Although this isn't WHY the Ottomans declared war, the public bore a grudge against Britain, and Churchill specifically, for confiscating two battleships that Turkey had commissioned before the war began. A lot of naval politics went into this war, without many major naval conflicts coming out of it, really...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Patter Song posted:

Mali-chat

After a smattering of research, I think we can initially attribute a stronger Mali to a still-strong Egypt, at least compared to the OTL. During a period of collapse due to internal struggles between Mali's constituent states, Mali was able to maintain the Trans-Saharan trade with Egypt well into the early modern era. Also, the 1591 Moroccan raid of Songhai likely never occurred, allowing the area to remain an important trading hub.

With the gold they still had due to trade, the Mali were able to purchase weaponry from the Portuguese which they used to begin reconquering their empire. By the time European colonization of the New World and India began in earnest, a respectably sized nation presided over a portion of the coasts where slaves were normally captured. Mali continued to get the long end of the stick over the years, as European sailors, from the Netherlands and Italy especially, could restock and make a tidy profit there.

Not sure what it'd be up to these days, but that's how it could have gotten started...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

While we're still in the Revolutionary period, I want to talk about the Industrial Revolution, since that was starting up around this time.

Namely, who do you think was able to industrialize first?

My personal vote would go towards some German OPM inventing the steam engine, but that's just me being wistful. :allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What's that patch of orange in Poland?

Also, OMYGOD WE'RE GUNNA DIE :ohdear:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Wiz posted:

STEPPE WOLFE
:)
:confused:
:stare:
:stonk:
:psypop:

Wow, that's some crazy sh*t. Long live the Tsar of the USSR!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dibujante posted:

I live somewhere where it's -50C :)

Hell, I live in a place where it rarely gets to 0C... Though it's actually funny that -40C = -40F, so even though I'm a backwards American I still realize how fuckin' cold that would be. :downs:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Whizbang posted:

No one Mann should have all that power.

Why not? It is SuperMann.

:suicide:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

uPen posted:

I need to invade continental Europe so I can dismantle the HRE and proclaim the Imperium of Mann, which is obviously the goal for anyone playing Mann.

Don't forget to establish the CoT, Mann Co. "We sell products and get in fights."

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

One thing that's always piqued my interest is how the "losing" sides of history tell their stories, and something I'd like to hear more about.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Was it this thread or Sjerbia that had the member of the dynasty wind up as a leader of the Aztecs?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I had almost completely forgotten about Colonial Italy. How strong do we assume their empire is?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Patter Song posted:

Parts of Burma, all of Bengal and a big chunk of Eastern India, (a rather rump) Brazil, two stretches of West African coastline, and various and sundry islands. Given that Espanya and Portugal have been hammered pretty hard in the colonial empire field, Italy probably has the world's biggest colonial empire.

Right, but the size of the empire doesn't translate to how well it'll stick together. How much colonial territory is getting gained/lost in Vicky II?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I remember Netherlands owning parts of Georgia and Alabama, and you saying that the rest of Louisiana going to Missouri...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SlothfulCobra posted:

It wouldn't be a paradox thread if it didn't get mired in historical controversy :allears:

Because we all know Bohemond was a fat gay hunchbacked fratricidal midget with a lisp. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

BBJoey posted:

Are you sure you're not remembering the propaganda people posted? The Azeri army was pretty good, but it certainly wasn't of the same calibre as the forces of the Great Powers.

That, and as far as I recall we barely had any military campaigns in what might be considered Europe except for trading blows with Russia a few times.

• Locked thread