Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
A lemon pie, when done right, will have a soft merengue ontop of a custardy lemon mix, in a seamless interface. Mostly though, they separate, for a number of reasons. This is how I felt the sci-fi and drama elements of this film failed to complement.

It's a Spielberg tribute as far as I am concerned. E.T. and Close Encounters meet My Girl and Stand by Me, with J.J. Abrams trademark lightning and photography. Because of this the point of the movie pertains to family, emotions and growing up. Immensely predictable and cliche, ou'll figure out the ending at the 20-something minute mark. If you hate Spielberg films this isn't going to change your mind. I'll talk about the cosmetics instead.

What irked me the most was how the monster effects were handled. Sure, you are introduced to this "q" mystery, and it is related to "z" objects, that had to do with that "p" thing that happened years ago with that guy. Just show me the boogie man; not so. It is immensely annoying how it drags on. "Oh sure, the thing can eat a car, grab people, smash trhough walls, is apparently not pretty and walks on all 4", and it goes on and on until the very end.

It's the same retarded delayed suspense that was present in War of the Worlds.

The score was awful. Strings and horns all throughout the film, any chance of menace or mood set by the alien creep killed before they are born. I should hope they release a scoreless version somewhere in the future, I'd watch it for sure.

The kids were OK. It's the kind of light-hearted, funny and smart acting that doesn't rub any wrong spots. Pity you get the same tired cookie-cutter military goons and henchmen, but then, this is appealing to movies like E.T. so you expect that, kind of.

2/5 for the movie, and a 5/5 for the kids' festival project film which airs as the credits roll.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU