Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

J. J. Abrams makes a splendid hommage to Spielberg's 70's and 80's Science Fiction films such as Close Encounters, E.T. and even Poltergeist. I feel this movie is flawless in terms of filmmaking. It knows how to keep the audience on the edge of their seat by progressively letting us know what is going on and making us connect with the heroes on an emotional level.

We follow a group of young (~13 years old) children that want to make a zombie film using their Super 8 camera. That movie-in-a-movie subplot is an hommage to George Romero's Night of the Living Dead and fans will love the callbacks to some famous scenes from that movie. The fact that we see the events from the point of view of a child makes it even more intriguing as a whole, and I think that was a really great decision. Children are deep-down innocent, not understood by adults, and not evil, much like the alien in this movie.

The movie starts off with a bang. We really are clueless as to what's happening, this is your typical first-person narrative. The audience does not know (much) more than the heroes and this really adds a whole "mystery" dimension to this film which, if you enjoyed Close Encounters, will keep you interested all the way through. The main plot is pretty standard: we are introduced to a kid who has just lost his mom in a terrible accident at a factory. He his struggling to connect with his father and the events that follow will force them to try to understand each other better. There's also some kind of romantic story involved but I won't go into details in fear of spoiling it for the rest of you.

The special effects are, to my eyes, perfect. Not once have I thought that something looked out of place. The train accident, which we've all seen in the trailers, was one of the most intense crashes I have ever seen in the history of cinema. The rest of the special effects are mostly non-intrusive, and the movie does not rely on them for storytelling. This makes it a truly immersive experience, and some scenes are just epic.

Overall, I think this is a movie worth seeing again and again, and is probably the best Science-Fiction film of 2011. This isn't your usual "summer blockbuster".

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU