Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know this is the FO1/2/Tactics thread, but I have a related New Vegas question:

I didn't finish NV, only put maybe 15-20 hours into it over 6 months ago, but this week I'm going to be getting more into it. I remember FO2 being hard as poo poo, and I was wondering if putting NV on Very Hard makes the game feel more like 2, or would that be overkill? My favourite thing about FO1 and 2 is that you'd level up, be able to take on a few enemies here and there, but god help you if you ran into a super mutant. I found FO3 never made me feel terrified of super mutants if I was past level 8 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

LLCoolJD posted:

Since everyone here seems to love these games, I'd like to point out what a good job they did of pacing your equipment and skill upgrades over the course of the game. There were ways for experienced players to get around that, but on the first time through these games really made finding the desert eagle or hunting rifle of FN FAL a real treat.

The FN FAL is a great gun when you have the ammo for it. It sucks that 7.62mm is so rare.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh the memories of finding a truck with like 10000 caps like 5 seconds after exiting the Vault 13. "Bottle caps? o.O WTF would I need bottle caps?" I learned 5 minutes later.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know this is the FO1/2/Tactics thread, but I have a related New Vegas question:

I didn't finish NV, only put maybe 15-20 hours into it over 6 months ago, but this week I'm going to be getting more into it. I remember FO2 being hard as poo poo, and I was wondering if putting NV on Very Hard makes the game feel more like 2, or would that be overkill? My favourite thing about FO1 and 2 is that you'd level up, be able to take on a few enemies here and there, but god help you if you ran into a super mutant. I found FO3 never made me feel terrified of super mutants if I was past level 8 or so.

New Vegas has less level scaling than Fallout 3 — as far as I know, gaining levels no more "upgrades" enemies their harder versions, but it makes them carry better weapons instead, thus still making them more dangerous. Changing the difficulty in New Vegas changes how damage is calculated — on Very Hard, you will be doing 50% of your normal damage and enemies will be inflicting 200% of their normal damage. It does make enemies more dangerous, yes, but it also turns pretty much every enemy in the game to a giant bullet sponge.

I would recommend for you to look into Project Nevada and especially its Rebalance component. By default, it lowers the hitpoints of every creature in the game (including your character) and removes the extra hit point gains from leveling, which makes the combat a lot more dangerous. The default settings of the Rebalance component aren't really optimal in my opinion, but the great thing about Project Nevada is that everything can be configured to your needs.

Another option would be to get one of the custom difficulty mods. This mod in particular has some nice options. Something like the 75/200% version might be a good starting point.

Oh, and I would recommend for you to visit the modding thread. The guys there will no doubt have more options for you to consider.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
So does the first game play it completely straight? I've only played FO2(and the new ones) and the impression I got from reading complaints about FO3 was that the first games were all about jokes and humor.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Fallout has its humour but a lot of it is fairly bleak and in-universe, whereas by comparison a lot of the humour in FO3 (and to a similar, but not quite the same, extent as FO2) is based on pop culture references or overtly 'whacky'. It's why I'm glad New Vegas relegated it to a trait, honestly; there was nothing inherently wrong with the humour but it could jar the sense of immersion. IIRC, Tactics played the setting almost completely straight and only had the occasional combat bark be out of character.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's weird that the talking deathclaw bit kinda got lumped into the whole "wacky wasteland" thing, they were played entirely straight in FO2 (and not very many things in FO2 were played entirely straight)

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
What are Deathclaws, anyway? I mean I've played both games to completion so I know what they look like and all, but where did they come from? I swear I remember them being mutated chickens or something.

Also I don't see what's wrong with talking Deathclaws, even in FO1 they are recognised as being extremely intelligent.

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up. Apparently they're "Jackson's Chameleon".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, they're mutated chameleons. Genetically modified - or engineered, I forget which - by the FEV virus. Also I don't think that Deathclaws talking was the problem, per se, but rather how a massive vault of them came out of nowhere.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Fallout has its humour but a lot of it is fairly bleak and in-universe, whereas by comparison a lot of the humour in FO3 (and to a similar, but not quite the same, extent as FO2) is based on pop culture references or overtly 'whacky'. It's why I'm glad New Vegas relegated it to a trait, honestly; there was nothing inherently wrong with the humour but it could jar the sense of immersion. IIRC, Tactics played the setting almost completely straight and only had the occasional combat bark be out of character.

I dunno, Fallout 1 had a lot of pop-culture references too, you just had to look more for them.

But maybe Mad Max references, Godzilla and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy don't quite count?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

poptart_fairy posted:

Fallout has its humour but a lot of it is fairly bleak and in-universe, whereas by comparison a lot of the humour in FO3 (and to a similar, but not quite the same, extent as FO2) is based on pop culture references or overtly 'whacky'.

Wait, what? I don't remember much in the way of wacky pop culture references in Fallout 3 (admittedly, I haven't played it all too recently), but I can definitely point to a number from Fallout 2. I always thought FO3 was closer to the original game than the second was, at least in its approach to humour.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mordaedil posted:

I dunno, Fallout 1 had a lot of pop-culture references too, you just had to look more for them.

Well that's my point, more of it was hidden away. F02 and FO3 seemed a little too eager to throw things in your face and point out how hilarous! these things were.

yerrow peril posted:

Wait, what? I don't remember much in the way of wacky pop culture references in Fallout 3 (admittedly, I haven't played it all too recently), but I can definitely point to a number from Fallout 2. I always thought FO3 was closer to the original game than the second was, at least in its approach to humour.

Hence the qualifying statement about whackiness, dude. :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, they're mutated chameleons. Genetically modified - or engineered, I forget which - by the FEV virus. Also I don't think that Deathclaws talking was the problem, per se, but rather how a massive vault of them came out of nowhere.

I thought it was explained away by having the Enclave and specifically Dr. Schreber experiment on Deathclaws which could make them talk, or something?

Mordaedil posted:

But maybe Mad Max references, Godzilla and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy don't quite count?

Yeah but the references in Fallout 1 weren't as overt and obvious as Fallout 2, outside of random encounters on the world map.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

poptart_fairy posted:

I feel like the distinction was fallout 1 had a ton of pop culture stuff but stuck it all in Easter eggs away from the main game, fallout 2 had a lot of silly stuff in during main quest type stuff.

The two games blend together in my memory a lot but it's interesting to read the fallout bibles and see how the developers feel about certain things. An interesting point is how much they regret FEV in fallout 2, that using it so often as explanation changed the tone from 1950s "radiation does everything" to 1990s "genetic mutations DUUUUDE" and they wish FEV stayed being the source of only the really gruesome and extreme mutations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
On the flipside, remember fallout one had psychic powers? That was dumb and kinda just never happened again.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

And a loving lot of engine bugs fixed. For example, ammo types have no effect in Fallout 1.

Ammo types had no effect in FO2 either. You needed a fan patch to make AP rounds functional and even then there was really no difference compared to the JHP rounds.

poptart_fairy posted:

The Enclave engineered them to be killing machines, but they couldnt control them. They tried to make them smart enough to understand human speech just enough so they could be told to guard a place or attack but still be dumb enough to not have any sense of self-preservation. The experiment went wrong and they became legitimately intelligent and pretended they werent until they were ordered to hold Vault 13 and make sure nobody tried to get inside it, for whatever reason that would be. Thats how the deathclaws came to be and why Bethesda actually earned a point by having deathclaw handlers use telepathy or some poo poo like that to control them in FO3, as weird as that sounds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I thought it was explained away by having the Enclave and specifically Dr. Schreber experiment on Deathclaws which could make them talk, or something?

yeah, and the deathclaws there helped in the capture of the Vault 13 inhabitants by the enclave though I kinda forgot why they stayed there afterwards

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

On the flipside, remember fallout one had psychic powers? That was dumb and kinda just never happened again.

Fallout 2 had a ghost.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

yeah, and the deathclaws there helped in the capture of the Vault 13 inhabitants by the enclave though I kinda forgot why they stayed there afterwards

They wanted a new life away from the Enclave so they made Vault 13 their home.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

HoldYourFire posted:

Fallout 2 had a ghost.

Where?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sam. posted:

Where?

The Den, in the haunted house after midnight.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

HoldYourFire posted:

Fallout 2 had a ghost.

And a mummy! :zombie:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Category Fun! posted:

And a mummy! :zombie:

I actually just got that quest where you find out that guy is some dude from Gecko that went missing

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Evoq posted:

Ammo types had no effect in FO2 either. You needed a fan patch to make AP rounds functional and even then there was really no difference compared to the JHP rounds.

Ammo types are fully functional in Fallout 2, it's just that the stock armor piercing rounds are poorly designed and do half listed damage (while hollow points do double, less the DR mod) up front before anything else is applied and thus never make it past the target's DT if they're wearing anything resembling decent armor. .223 FMJ, .44 magnum FMJ, 4.77 mm caseless, 2mm EC and AP rockets all perform quite nicely vs armor, especially since most .223 and both 2mm guns have the ignores DT flag and the rockets do more than enough damage to go right through the target's DT.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy loving gently caress, I just read through the entire LP of FO1 that was posted earlier. Those who haven't read it yet, stop everything you're doing, and read it now, it's loving fantastic.

Loved the ending, the 'last entry'.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Ammo types are fully functional in Fallout 2, it's just that the stock armor piercing rounds are poorly designed and do half listed damage (while hollow points do double, less the DR mod) up front before anything else is applied and thus never make it past the target's DT if they're wearing anything resembling decent armor. .223 FMJ, .44 magnum FMJ, 4.77 mm caseless, 2mm EC and AP rockets all perform quite nicely vs armor, especially since most .223 and both 2mm guns have the ignores DT flag and the rockets do more than enough damage to go right through the target's DT.

Yeah I remember now. They werent broken just useless without the patch that fixed the way they did damage. Not that it matters, either youre a dumb sniper build and just crit one shot everything or you melt them down with an automatic weapon. You dont fight anyone in any armor worth a drat until the oil rig and even then you hardly do any fighting. Better off just selling all the FMJ/AP rounds you get.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Evoq posted:

Better off just selling all the FMJ/AP rounds you get.

The .223 FMJ pistol in FO2 is up there with gauss weaponry in how much it annihilates everything. The sniper rifle is powerful too, but uses a ton of AP, and does about the same damage as the pistol. Even while using .223 exclusively, I wind up with thousands of rounds in my trunk every single time.

AP rounds are pretty worthless though. I save em for enemies I don't want to waste "real" ammo on that aren't really capable of hurting me, rats, junkies, etc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doing the math again takes .44 magnum fmj off that list. Hollow points doubling the damage before DT is just way too strong barring targets with implants and the toughness perk wearing metal or less.

This is why the sniper, the .223 pistol, the gauss guns, the ripper and the power fist are so strong, they ignore DT in the first place.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 10, 2011

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Am I remembering things wrong or did the Khans in FO1 always drop their armour upon death? I vaguely recall when I first played I was annoyed that that cool leather armour wasn't lootable, but replaying it recently it was.

Being able to pick up about seven sets of expensive armour is a huge turning point in the game now. Pre-Khan it was still a struggle to feed the basic shotgun, but after the battle your cup floweth over.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Boogoose posted:

Am I remembering things wrong or did the Khans in FO1 always drop their armour upon death? I vaguely recall when I first played I was annoyed that that cool leather armour wasn't lootable, but replaying it recently it was.

Being able to pick up about seven sets of expensive armour is a huge turning point in the game now. Pre-Khan it was still a struggle to feed the basic shotgun, but after the battle your cup floweth over.

Seems about right. I seem to remember my issue being carrying it all. But then, I always played scrawny fast-talking sharp-shooters.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

Minarchist posted:

AP rounds are pretty worthless though. I save em for enemies I don't want to waste "real" ammo on that aren't really capable of hurting me, rats, junkies, etc.

Its entirely possible to go through FO2 using nothing but the thousands and thousands of AP rounds that you find to barter with.

Also the best mod for someone who has played Fallout 2 a trillion times and just wants to do a crazy runthrough like that flare-between-the-eyes build is the one that makes enemies drop their armor upon death. It is impossible to do a 100% complete Den run through as a good guy (which means killing the slaver that Im forgetting the name of) and not be overencumbered after buying out all the merchants (then killing Flick and getting it all back!).

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Evoq posted:

Also the best mod for someone who has played Fallout 2 a trillion times and just wants to do a crazy runthrough like that flare-between-the-eyes build is the one that makes enemies drop their armor upon death. It is impossible to do a 100% complete Den run through as a good guy (which means killing the slaver that Im forgetting the name of) and not be overencumbered after buying out all the merchants (then killing Flick and getting it all back!).

I'd just have armor stashes in every town. Lara's gang house has lots of containers for stashing gear, and they don't mind you using it especially when you sell them out to Tyler

Even in vanilla, I eventually hoard enough gear to where:
  • I can't sell it, even in San Fransisco
  • I can't use it all, even if I decide to murder the whole map
  • I can't fit it all in the trunk
  • I don't even need it, why do I have 5 miniguns and 10,000 rounds for them when I can clear out Navarro with the .223 pistol?
A mod that takes out a lot of item drops and makes stuff more expensive would improve gameplay for me a lot, as it is, it's just looting and ammo gathering with some marginally challenging combat thrown in, even on Very Hard.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Chainsawdomy posted:

Seems about right. I seem to remember my issue being carrying it all. But then, I always played scrawny fast-talking sharp-shooters.

Ah yes, the best template for an easy but comprehensive play-through, what I like to call The Gentleman Sniper.

With the use of Gifted and Small Frame you can get high perception, agility, charisma and intelligence at the cost of average luck and strength, and sub-par endurance. It opens up pretty much all diplomatic solutions, but still allows you to be a killing machine with a hatred of eyeballs.

I think I'm a terrible RPG player. Every time I try to make a Fallout character that's for example a dumb but strong knifeman, I immediately miss all my snappy retorts and verbal shortcuts. It doesn't help that the canonical Vault Dweller was clearly a Small Guns / Speech build.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Minarchist posted:

A mod that takes out a lot of item drops and makes stuff more expensive would improve gameplay for me a lot, as it is, it's just looting and ammo gathering with some marginally challenging combat thrown in, even on Very Hard.

Something in the Mib88 Megamod does this, I believe, because I'm sucking dick for nickels. Also, it (lamely, some might think) modifies drops so that you can't loot weapons off of every person you kill. Unrealistic? Hell yes. But it seems to balance the game quite well...so far, at least.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Something in the Mib88 Megamod does this, I believe, because I'm sucking dick for nickels. Also, it (lamely, some might think) modifies drops so that you can't loot weapons off of every person you kill. Unrealistic? Hell yes. But it seems to balance the game quite well...so far, at least.

Megamod makes equipment looting based on your repair and science skills. Get both up around 150 and you can even loot Horrigan's armor

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

dis astranagant posted:

Megamod makes equipment looting based on your repair and science skills. Get both up around 150 and you can even loot Horrigan's armor

Ah yes, that's what it is. Thanks.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Boogoose posted:

Ah yes, the best template for an easy but comprehensive play-through, what I like to call The Gentleman Sniper.

With the use of Gifted and Small Frame you can get high perception, agility, charisma and intelligence at the cost of average luck and strength, and sub-par endurance. It opens up pretty much all diplomatic solutions, but still allows you to be a killing machine with a hatred of eyeballs.

I think I'm a terrible RPG player. Every time I try to make a Fallout character that's for example a dumb but strong knifeman, I immediately miss all my snappy retorts and verbal shortcuts. It doesn't help that the canonical Vault Dweller was clearly a Small Guns / Speech build.

"Quick Draw" might actually be more accurate for me. I tend to take Fast Shot and Gifted (does anyone not take Gifted?), followed up with Action Boys and Bonus Rate of Fire. The ultimate expression of this build was my first Fallout Tactics protagonist, who could fire the Gauss pistol ten times and reload every turn.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I am at a quandary in Fallout 2. I'm still in Klamath and have yet to kill the rat god or rescue that trapper dude. Problem is I am completely out of bullets. I bought out the two shopkeepers I could find and they have none left. Where can I get some more ammo?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I am at a quandary in Fallout 2. I'm still in Klamath and have yet to kill the rat god or rescue that trapper dude. Problem is I am completely out of bullets. I bought out the two shopkeepers I could find and they have none left. Where can I get some more ammo?

I'm trying to think of other quests in Klamath, because jeez, where did you use all the bullets

(you should be meleeing most poo poo in Klamath that isn't the rat god, or a golden gecko)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Did you break into Vic's house? I think he's got some ammo.

Failing that, go to that farm on the outskirts of the Den (the one that gets attacked by Slavers shortly after you show up.) Don't participate in the firefight, just loot the bodies afterwards.

And like Fag Boy Jim says: When you're out of bullets, it's time to learn how to poke poo poo with a Spear.

• Locked thread