Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«871 »
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Fallen Rib

What's even funnier is that I never hear anybody speak about TES III or TES IV, it's always Oblivion, Skyrim etc. so from the point of recognizability the whole trademark is pretty moot. I couldn't even find the scrolls in Fallout 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I don't see how what he said was wrong at all. It's been said time and time again recently but basically you are required by law to defend your trademark if something is threatening it. In this case, Bethesda has a game called The Elder Scrolls. Mojang has created a game called Scrolls. Thus Bethesda is forced to defend their older patent or possibly lose the rights to use it. You might think "oh, but scrolls isn't that close to the elder scrolls, and they're both totally different games!".

That might make sense to a seasoned gamer but a judge is going to say "This game is called Scrolls and this game is called the Elder Scrolls. They're both video games. Bethesda wins." The same would happen if someone tried to make a game called Combat Evolved.

ok, give one example of a company who was still publishing a game/movie/anything losing their trademark because another company used a very common word from that title in their own game/movie years after the first game was published.

blah, we've been through this argument 6 times. The lawsuit is completely frivolous. There's no chance in hell Bethesda will win in court. And if it does, it would be travesty of justice. And trying to justify suing a company and wasting their time and resources by saying things like "But a judge might do something ridiculously stupid years later" is just nonsensical.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2011 around 12:50

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?

Grimey Drawer

Hexadecimal Gnome posted:

You, sir, do not know the meaning of tragicomedy

Tragicomedy is a dramatic character in a comedy though, not a comedic character in a drama.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wait, it's better to mine at 12-16 than right down at the bedrock?

I'VE BEEN LIVING A LIE!

The thing is, you're likely to dig up into a lava pool digging any deeper than that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RowboatMan: Freezing time is an old P.I. trick...

Nenonen posted:

What's even funnier is that I never hear anybody speak about TES III or TES IV, it's always Oblivion, Skyrim etc.

I carpool with a guy at work, he seems confused about a lot of things, and if you ask him what his favourite game is, despite how many times I've corrected him, he'll always say "Morrowind 3".

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lawyers have to do something every now and then or you forget why you keep them on retainer.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Mordaedil posted:

Tragicomedy is a dramatic character in a comedy though, not a comedic character in a drama.

Stop making fun of clowns!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'

Grimey Drawer

xf86enodev posted:

Stop making fun of clowns!
Work and fun don't mix, unless you're a clown.

Is there any official way to elevate something? I seem to have a problem where all my machines start below ground and have output of some resource but I want to live on the surface, a surface uncluttered with machinery. So is there a way to build an actual freight elevator using a minecart or something? It doesn't have to go straight up, just be able to transport something that falls into it back to the surface.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

pseudorandom name posted:

Code isn't the problem, it's the lack of space in the chunk format.

Every block in the world is stored in two bytes -- one byte is the block type, four bits for lighting, and the other four bits for block specific details. For leaves, those four bits encode the type of leaf it is and whether or not it was placed by a player. Those four bits are used by other blocks for other things.

Well this is the kind of poo poo they need to change anyway, since the limit in block IDs really sucks and puts a dent in the longevity of the game, once it's officially released and more mods are available to it post-deobfuscation.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I don't see how what he said was wrong at all. It's been said time and time again recently but basically you are required by law to defend your trademark if something is threatening it. In this case, Bethesda has a game called The Elder Scrolls. Mojang has created a game called Scrolls. Thus Bethesda is forced to defend their older patent or possibly lose the rights to use it. You might think "oh, but scrolls isn't that close to the elder scrolls, and they're both totally different games!".

That might make sense to a seasoned gamer but a judge is going to say "This game is called Scrolls and this game is called the Elder Scrolls. They're both video games. Bethesda wins." The same would happen if someone tried to make a game called Combat Evolved.

You do realize that life isn't like an episode of Law and Order, right?

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species

MrChupon posted:

Wouldn't it take just a creeper explosion, single chopped tree, or grabbed mushroom to foil this? I mean I guess there are a decent number of chunks that I truly never touched while running though, but on any reasonably populated server I think this would trend quickly to zero.

A populated server would have its altered chunks stored, yes, but all those areas that people sailed for days across the ocean just to explore would not have to be saved.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

CapnBry posted:

Is there any official way to elevate something? I seem to have a problem where all my machines start below ground and have output of some resource but I want to live on the surface, a surface uncluttered with machinery. So is there a way to build an actual freight elevator using a minecart or something? It doesn't have to go straight up, just be able to transport something that falls into it back to the surface.

Maybe something like a combination of How To Clear A Pressure Plate and a Piston Elevator?

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!

Score is XP.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

CapnBry posted:

You could use a minecart rail system but you would have to go down to your machines, fill up the cart manually and then send it on its way. If you're using Industrialcraft or whatever it is, couldn't you in theory have the machines below and just run a mega-length pipe up to the output on the surface?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CapnBry posted:

Have the empty minecart into which things are supposed to fall sitting on a stone pressure plate. Place a piston on one side (wired to the pressure plate), and a powered booster rail on the other, with a solid block behind.

That should trigger the piston to fire when something lands in the cart, launching the cart along the rail.

There might be some fuckery you'd have to do with things to get it working, but that should get the general idea.

In fact. I'm about to go to lunch, so I'll try and build something that might work.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

neogeo0823 posted:

Maybe something like a combination of How To Clear A Pressure Plate and a Piston Elevator?
Via related, I thought this looked really cool. It's a piston-train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzzxS_MP8sQ

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

AlexDeGruven posted:

Have the empty minecart into which things are supposed to fall sitting on a stone pressure plate. Place a piston on one side (wired to the pressure plate), and a powered booster rail on the other, with a solid block behind.

That should trigger the piston to fire when something lands in the cart, launching the cart along the rail.

There might be some fuckery you'd have to do with things to get it working, but that should get the general idea.

In fact. I'm about to go to lunch, so I'll try and build something that might work.

This won't work for a lot of reasons.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Did they speed up skeleton arrows in 1.9? They're loving deadly snipers now

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Look at this poor soul who's never seen Stranger Than Fiction.

Jax Nadine
Jun 12, 2011

by T. Finn

pseudorandom name posted:

Except there's no way to determine if a block is player placed or naturally occurring. (Short of regenerating the chunk and then comparing.)

Sure there is; glass is not naturally occurring, leaf blocks are. You can also have blocks have one metadata type when they are generated, and change to another metadata type once they are dropped.

Also am I the only one here who hates mines? The cave generation system was cool before it was scribbled over by a lot of lovely, claustrophobic tunnels leading nowhere.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Loving Life Partner posted:

Did they speed up skeleton arrows in 1.9? They're loving deadly snipers now

Do people just not bother with armor anymore? With a full set of iron I can stand next to a creeper while it explodes on normal and take virtually no damage, and hard mode doesn't jack up the damage by much at all. I guess in the early game when you're still working with stone tools and iron hasn't come into the picture I could see skeletons and such being a threat, but once you build up a decent iron supply enemies become more of an annoyance and a source of certain items than an actual danger.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Vatek posted:

This won't work for a lot of reasons.

Yeah... Looking into it further, things won't work that way. Interesting conundrum.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Vatek posted:

Do people just not bother with armor anymore? With a full set of iron I can stand next to a creeper while it explodes on normal and take virtually no damage, and hard mode doesn't jack up the damage by much at all. I guess in the early game when you're still working with stone tools and iron hasn't come into the picture I could see skeletons and such being a threat, but once you build up a decent iron supply enemies become more of an annoyance and a source of certain items than an actual danger.

Well, it was early game and I had just started exploring a cavern and got loving rocked,but that didn't really answer my question, before it seemed like you could strafe incoming arrows pretty easily, but this fucker hit me while i was jumping off another platform at an angle.

EDIT:
Also, for early game it seems like a no brainer there should be an offhand slot and a shield item. 9 wood, takes damage on each blow absorbed and then breaks, tada, no more annoying skeletons.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2011 around 17:20

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Jax Nadine posted:

Also am I the only one here who hates mines? The cave generation system was cool before it was scribbled over by a lot of lovely, claustrophobic tunnels leading nowhere.

Agreed. For me much of the appeal in minecraft has been finding cool terrain. When you find some interesting naturally generated structures it's like finding a little treasure. Much more rewarding than a dungeon chest with redstone and a little string.

Mines are just boring, you know that they will always look exactly the same. You don't have that tension you get in regular caves where you think that maybe around the next corner there will be an interesting room. You might happen upon a ravine, and while they are really cool, most of them also look the same so there's not much appeal in that after a while.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

The mines are boring, and unfortunately it looks like cavern generation has been ramped up significantly, sometimes while cruising the ocean I get some accidental x-ray vision and the underground is littered with mines and caverns.

Finding a cavern used to be a rare treat, but eh.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

I have a question for anyone who plays SMP. Has anyone discovered a chicken coop design that doesn't result in your chickens dying, due to clipping into the walls? I tried an open pit and a couple coop/battery farm examples posted earlier, but ultimately I haven't been able to reach a positive birth:death rate.

Is this even a problem outside our server?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to see less cave and feature density, but more variety.

You need a mine or two, you've seen them all. Spend some time coming up with other things. Abandoned temples on the surface and below, surface ruins with basements and underground elements, underwater ruins, more mine variety and surface connections, subterranean cities in huge caverns, Dwarf Fortress Style HIDDEN FUN STUFF.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Abandoned mines are the worst, because the generation for them is completely spastic and ends up with mineshafts over open air and overlapping tunnels that branch off each other seemingly endlessly. I like them as a feature, but they need to work on how they're generated. The layout should resemble how an actual mine would be laid out, instead of some horrible schizophrenic disaster that was apparently carved by miners who were left underground too long and went insane.

Mines and strongholds are at least a start to making the underground more interesting. I'm hoping they focus on things like this to flesh out the core of the game a little more, instead of silly things like snowmen that are a fun little addition but add no practical depth to the game.

Vatek fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2011 around 17:50

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Vatek posted:

Abandoned mines are the worst, because the generation for them is completely spastic and ends up with mineshafts over open air and overlapping tunnels that branch off each other seemingly endlessly. I like them as a feature, but they need to work on how they're generated. The layout should resemble how an actual mine would be laid out, instead of some horrible schizophrenic disaster that was apparently carved by miners who were left underground too long and went insane.
I like to think they were excavated by the wonderfully mobs from very early Minecraft versions.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to see less cave and feature density, but more variety.

You need a mine or two, you've seen them all. Spend some time coming up with other things. Abandoned temples on the surface and below, surface ruins with basements and underground elements, underwater ruins..

This is something Notch has been doing lately with the strongholds and abandoned mines, and this is glorious. What I would like to see is some more storytelling in the design. Empty towns generating in disrepair featuring a cave out of which floods poisons spiders and so on. Clues given as to WHO built these lost mines, possible reasons why they're abandoned now.

Give inspiration for a player to write a story in their heads about why things are as they are. Admittedly some times this isn't necessary. The present set of mines I'm playing in are partially flooded by the ocean above, which gives a pretty good excuse for their poor condition and abandonment.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Vatek posted:

some horrible schizophrenic disaster that was apparently carved by miners who were left underground too long and went insane.

Having read that, that has to be the canon answer and therefore why mine generation must not be hosed with.

How else do you explain miners who lay rail over gold ore?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

MMAgCh posted:

I like to think they were excavated by the wonderfully mobs from very early Minecraft versions.

Holy poo poo, that's loving hilarious. I laughed so hard I cried. Notch should add that NPC behaviour back in and randomly have villages spawn with an "insane" flag that makes all the villagers do that.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Elysiume posted:

Via related, I thought this looked really cool. It's a piston-train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzzxS_MP8sQ

See, this is the reason I won't do anything involving redstone. At all. Pistons, doors... whatever. It seems to me there should be a much easier, not spergy way to make cool things in Minecraft.

I mean, it's neat and I'd love a train like that, but build it? gently caress, no!

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

How would you do it, though? There's no way to just put poo poo together and have it magically work the way you want it to. Redstone isn't some spergy bullshit, it's a good logical method for creating all kinds of ridiculously elaborate systems.

Granted, it does have some silly limitations due to the block system and the way it works (making hiding redstone wiring a huge pain in the rear end unless you plan for it from the start, among other things), but it's easily one of the best features of Minecraft.

Vatek fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2011 around 18:08

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

A Lamer posted:

I have a question for anyone who plays SMP. Has anyone discovered a chicken coop design that doesn't result in your chickens dying, due to clipping into the walls? I tried an open pit and a couple coop/battery farm examples posted earlier, but ultimately I haven't been able to reach a positive birth:death rate.

Is this even a problem outside our server?

Don't use walls. Use fences instead.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

You can also seperate the chickens into individual pens, which stops them shoving each other into walls.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CJacobs posted:

And as well, Bethesda's law office has no case because "Scrolls" is not "The Elder Scrolls" and as long as Mojang acknowledges that TES is a thing that exists and they respect the right to not steal any of their poo poo, Mojang will likely come out of this lawsuit with an undeserving sense of pride!

Why would their pride be undeserving? You said it yourself that Bethesda/Zenimax has no case, so Mojang standing up for themselves against this lawsuit is a commendable act, and Mojang is right to ridicule the lawsuit.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2012 around 02:22

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Iacen posted:

See, this is the reason I won't do anything involving redstone. At all. Pistons, doors... whatever. It seems to me there should be a much easier, not spergy way to make cool things in Minecraft.

I mean, it's neat and I'd love a train like that, but build it? gently caress, no!

This is honestly the most complicated way to build this thing. Anyone with any amount of redstone knowledge could build that with far fewer working parts.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

I encourage everyone I play with to create things with redstone, because that development cycle of "holy gently caress how does this poo poo work?">"holy gently caress, it WORKS!">"holy gently caress, I can make it so much more EFFICIENT!" has got to be one of the most satisfying things you can do in the game. I always have some frankenstein of a mega-project going with redstone because it's a genuine challenge.

Plus, sometimes you get the satisfaction of bringing somebody new to Minecraft into your world, showing them all this fancy automated stuff with all the circuitry hidden from plain sight, and watching their heads explode as they try and figure out how that train station or whatever you made actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HYMEN.SYS posted:

This is honestly the most complicated way to build this thing. Anyone with any amount of redstone knowledge could build that with far fewer working parts.
He says in the video that there's way better ways to do it, but that way looks cool and helps showcase how exactly it works.

«871 »