Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Is it referring to actual maps? Like the map item you can craft?

It's probably this. Don't those dynamically update these days? If so, they'd have to be registered and get update events, so it would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Taffer posted:

It's probably this. Don't those dynamically update these days? If so, they'd have to be registered and get update events, so it would make sense.

I can't exclude that, but it does not seem likely.

I definitely have more than 3 maps that show the overworld, and no maps that show any location on the nether or the end. I'm not 100% sure about the other players, but the numbers definitely do not reflect the number of craftable maps 1:1.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
If you have access to the server file system you should see something like this:

if you have more world folders you may have some mod/add-on stuff going on

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

In 1.10 and 1.12 at least, dimensions have their own directories in the 'world' directory. There should be only one 'world' directory in the root minecraft directory. Here's the world directory of my local E2E server. Dim-1 is the overworld, I don't know what the rest of them are because I have never bothered to look, but one of them is the nether, one of them is the end, a bunch of them are advanced rocketry planets, and so on.

EDIT: I thought I was in the modded thread, but whatever, unless you guys are talking about Bedrock it still holds true.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 6, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, has anyone hosed around with running a Bedrock server? Since MS switched to UDP I'm having a bitch of a time debugging external connectivity. Internal works great, but opening up the port on UDP I'm not able to get connected from outside.

What’s your question? I have 3 running on a machine each in its own Lxc container group. Two are exported worlds from a Win 10 game.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

TheDK posted:

If you have access to the server file system you should see something like this:

if you have more world folders you may have some mod/add-on stuff going on

Happy Hedonist posted:

In 1.10 and 1.12 at least, dimensions have their own directories in the 'world' directory. There should be only one 'world' directory in the root minecraft directory. Here's the world directory of my local E2E server. Dim-1 is the overworld, I don't know what the rest of them are because I have never bothered to look, but one of them is the nether, one of them is the end, a bunch of them are advanced rocketry planets, and so on.

EDIT: I thought I was in the modded thread, but whatever, unless you guys are talking about Bedrock it still holds true.

Thanks, I'll check this out! I move from vanilla to spigot and it messed up the end and the nether and required me to replace some files so maybe duplicates ended up in there?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Actually, after thinking about it, you can have as many worlds as you want in the root directory. Isn't the one it loads specified in server.properties? So you could have 'world', 'some_other_world', 'fml_wtf', and so on, but the server is only going to load the one specified in server.properties.

The setting is level-name = whatever, I believe.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hughlander posted:

What’s your question? I have 3 running on a machine each in its own Lxc container group. Two are exported worlds from a Win 10 game.

I just can't get external connectivity to work at all. It works fine for everyone on my local network, but when I forward the 19132 UDP through my router, nothing gets through from the outside.

Edit: And I've verified that the local FW isn't blocking.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 6, 2019

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

AlexDeGruven posted:

I just can't get external connectivity to work at all. It works fine for everyone on my local network, but when I forward the 19132 UDP through my router, nothing gets through from the outside.

Edit: And I've verified that the local FW isn't blocking.

You're probably going to want to verify that, even with the new UDP communication, no TCP port(s) need to be open/forwarded as well.

For actual in-game server<->client communication UDP is ideal as neither has to verify that the other received every packet, but I wouldn't be surprised if TCP is used for initial login so both ends can confirm the process completed successfully.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I've tried opening both before the 1.9 server dropped this week, but I'll give it another shot.

And checking netstat on the host server I'm not seeing it listening on anything other than the 19132 on UDP:

pre:
netstat -anp | grep 16189
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:19132           0.0.0.0:*                           16189/./bedrock_ser

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

I've tried opening both before the 1.9 server dropped this week, but I'll give it another shot.

And checking netstat on the host server I'm not seeing it listening on anything other than the 19132 on UDP:

pre:
netstat -anp | grep 16189
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:19132           0.0.0.0:*                           16189/./bedrock_ser

16189 is the PID of the running instance

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If I don't care about mods, is the Windows 10 version better in general? Or is there still content and stuff only in the Java version?

I haven't played in years but I got a sudden urge to again and I'm way out of the loop.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Koramei posted:

If I don't care about mods, is the Windows 10 version better in general? Or is there still content and stuff only in the Java version?

I haven't played in years but I got a sudden urge to again and I'm way out of the loop.

It's basically at feature parity, but as far as I know it still has a mob spawning issue which will result in mobs not despawning in unloaded chunks.

After Update Aquatic the mobs trapped in unloaded chunks rose to ridiculous levels.

Other than that the bedrock edition is a lot better than the java version, you'll get a lot smoother experience all around.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Does redstone still work different due to the update rate differences between Java and Bedrock? That was the only other thing I remember being mentioned.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, redstone still has differences between the two versions.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I have heard that people are finding that the latest versions of MC Java are not as good as the 1.7.10/1.8 versions,

Why are people saying this? what is the reason for the changes that are forcing people to completely rewrite all the mods and addons and what are these changes doing in improving the game itself?

Or is it just microsoft trying to kill the java version so that the windows 10 version can take over and kill the modding community?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I have heard that people are finding that the latest versions of MC Java are not as good as the 1.7.10/1.8 versions,

Why are people saying this? what is the reason for the changes that are forcing people to completely rewrite all the mods and addons and what are these changes doing in improving the game itself?

Or is it just microsoft trying to kill the java version so that the windows 10 version can take over and kill the modding community?

The game is improved and better, but for the people you're talking about not enough to compensate for the loss of the mods which existed on that version. It's mainly that 1.7/1.8 was the modding heyday and there are a lot of mods still stuck on that version.

The reason that the mods are broken is because Minecraft was coded poorly and they've been slowly trying to fix it but to do so basically means they have to rip out and replace entire systems, which of course break mods and means they'd almost have to be redone from scratch.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 26, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The other big change from after that version is how combat works. In older versions you can just spam click and do all the damage you like. After 1.9, now there's a slight delay you have to wait before clicking again, or you'll do reduced damage. Some mob behavior like Skeletons have also been changed so they don't fire as often, but now you also have shields to help protect yourself.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They just added a scripting language to Bedrock at least for Win10. Perhaps modding can happen there as well now? Not sure.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, redstone still has differences between the two versions.

If I remember correctly only java has the weird quasi-connectivity thing where pistons fire from the block diagonal behind them (which people use a lot for complicated builds but is a totally unintuitive nonsense glitch turned feature) and only bedrock lets pistons move chests (which, honestly seems game changing)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I thought it was more than that? Like bud or soft powering just doesn't work? All I know is that redstone videos all inevitably have a ton of comments about how it doesn't work in Bedrock edition. I don't have a controller or anything for my tablet so I can't really do anything too complicated the rare times when I play on my tablet.

And yeah, moving chests is amazing. That's a feature java could use!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Potsticker posted:

I thought it was more than that? Like bud or soft powering just doesn't work? All I know is that redstone videos all inevitably have a ton of comments about how it doesn't work in Bedrock edition. I don't have a controller or anything for my tablet so I can't really do anything too complicated the rare times when I play on my tablet.

Yeah, bedrock in general "fixed" redstone to make things work more like it seems like they should, which makes things way more obvious but limits a ton of stuff that was build around the weird quirks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I never learned much about redstone, but the only video I remember watching that discussed redstone in Bedrock, IIRC, focused a bit on numbers or something regarding how Bedrock handles updates per second, I think, which I guess breaks some more complicated redstone builds? I feel like I remember tick rates or something similar being mentioned. It probably doesn't help my memory that I simply do not know anything about redstone. The most complicated thing I have ever built with it was a device using a row of pistons and water for harvesting a small area of wheat (water breaks the wheat and pushes it into hoppers for collection, though I don't think I got around to filling the ditch with hoppers.)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
look at my lovely setup. playing gt new horizons mod.
https://imgur.com/a/LahiXwN

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Mycroft Holmes posted:

look at my lovely setup. playing gt new horizons mod.
https://imgur.com/a/LahiXwN

With all the nice flowers and scenery, I barely noticed that you're living in a house made of dirt!

Am I reading right that this is based on 1.7?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Buttcoin purse posted:

With all the nice flowers and scenery, I barely noticed that you're living in a house made of dirt!

Am I reading right that this is based on 1.7?

latest version of minecraft, latest version of the mod

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I have not played Minecraft since the Alpha/Beta days, I bought it waaaaay back for $10 on Notches site when it was Alpha, do I still own this since now considering Microsoft owns it and not Notch anymore? I also see that there are two versions of MC, a Windows and Java Edition, what do people recommend picking, I just want to goof around with cheats and mods and stuff.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You should still have your Java copy if you can find the login info for it, and haven't somehow had the account stolen by eastern european kids like happened to my friend. Try and find your original purchase email and you should be able to get in still. As for Java vs W10, the Java version is the only one that allows modding like you're probably thinking of.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Oh that was easy, I went to Minecraft.net > Log In > Migrate to a Mojang account, done. Just used the ancient account info I had in KeePass.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Im_Special posted:

Oh that was easy, I went to Minecraft.net > Log In > Migrate to a Mojang account, done. Just used the ancient account info I had in KeePass.

Just a heads up, you might still be able to get a free copy of the Windows 10 version. For the longest time, you could get a code from you Mojang account and use it to get the game through the W10 app/game store. And you'll still have your older version, so you don't lose out on anything.

The new version (W10) runs so smoothly, it's insane. The tradeoff is that the crazy mods people have made over the years don't work with it.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The new version (W10) runs so smoothly, it's insane. The tradeoff is that the crazy mods people have made over the years don't work with it.

And weird mob spawn things, unless that has been fixed then please ignore and shame me.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just a heads up, you might still be able to get a free copy of the Windows 10 version. For the longest time, you could get a code from you Mojang account and use it to get the game through the W10 app/game store. And you'll still have your older version, so you don't lose out on anything.

I think it's the other way around. Under downloads all it has is the Windows installer...

but then under the redeem code page I can redeem the Java Edition, for free?

EDIT: Man, they really push their Windows version on you, all the obvious download links point to an .msi installer for the Windows version, and even the link from after redeeming the Java Edition points to the Windows version, gotta go "Show all downloads", "Download for your distribution" then "Alternate downloads" to find the Java one.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 6, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Im_Special posted:

EDIT: Man, they really push their Windows version on you, all the obvious download links point to an .msi installer for the Windows version, and even the link from after redeeming the Java Edition points to the Windows version, gotta go "Show all downloads", "Download for your distribution" then "Alternate downloads" to find the Java one.

Windows version is the main and unified version that is feature-parity cross-compatible with Android/iOS/Switch/XBox/PS4. Java is basically the new-feature test playground and moddable edition. Unless you know what you're doing you want Windows. It's probably good to avoid people being able to get confused.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Im_Special posted:

That's the Java version, not the Windows 10 one: you can only get Win10 from the Microsoft store because it's a UWP app. They just have a fancier launcher now that can download its own copy of Java if you don't have a separate one.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/chanbanhi/status/1091088560277590016

https://twitter.com/chanbanhi/status/1082373806008795137

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Booted this up for the first time in two years. There are dolphins? There are turtles and you can wear their shells as hats? There are shipwrecks and underwater villages with soaked zombies? :psyduck:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There are dolphins and they help you find your way

https://twitter.com/chanbanhi/status/1101231149370826752

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Most of the Hytale blogs have been pretty minor, this week I think it's worth posting.

https://hytale.com/news/2019/3/building-with-blocks-in-hytale

Details of the block system. Seems like there are basic, roof, stair, wall, pillar, slab, beam, and decorative blocks.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You can place slabs sideways :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope all blocks can be oriented in any direction please thank you.