Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I've been googling all over and I've gone to the McMyAdmin page and I just can't seem to figure this out. I want to change the server name and MOTD, but I can't seem to save it.

I put the text in, but it doesn't change anything and there's no button to save it at all. How do I make it accept the MOTD and server name change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We'll be able to mod out the stuff we don't like, and mod in things we don't like. But I agree that the snowmen look really dumb and out of place, and this is speaking from a universe of hopping skeleton archers and.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

The problem is that exploring is boring. Forcing people to explore the same random terrain to find wool isn't exciting. Once you've seen the few biome types you've really seen it all. By making things so extremely random, you end up making everything look pretty much the same.
Really? I think it's loads of fun.

Maybe you just need some sort of investment or goal when you're exploring. A friend and I set off to a faraway land to build our own city on the small MP server we play on, sailing east for about a minecraft day over the open ocean. We wanted to know if the land we'd found was a new continent or if it was somehow connected to the old one.

It took seven maps and four or five real-time hours to discover that we were on an extremely large peninsula, separated by a vast gulf from the spawn lands.

As we mapped our peninsula, we saw spectacular mountains, a swampy island that was on fire, a massive desert with an insanely long river winding through it that we eventually just gave up trying to find the source of because it was just too huge. And I got the biggest rush when I rounded the cape that proved we were on a peninsula and not just an isthmus.

All the while, when I was by myself and exploring, I'd leave signs with random thoughts and observations next to torches, in the hopes that if someone else ever wanders the faraway land I was mapping, they'd have a companion in the form of my signs.

And even in single player, if you know you're mapping your neighborhood, your realm... it's really quite satisfying. To know that off in that direction there are incredible mountains, and over there the ocean stretches off forever, and that you're really just on the edge of a really really large lake instead of the ocean or whatever... it adds a lot, and it's really fun to find out.

So yeah, 1.8 + maps = incredible fun while exploring.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Exploring annoys me because its got such a poor sense of scale. Maybe if stuff were in more realistic sizes I might want to hike that 2000 block tall mountain to the top.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Travic posted:

x:278
y:70
z:387

Those coordinates will put you inside that mountain so allow a little wiggle room.

Thanks, that area is incredible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Apocadall posted:

Exploring annoys me because its got such a poor sense of scale. Maybe if stuff were in more realistic sizes I might want to hike that 2000 block tall mountain to the top.

That's a big problem too, everything seems so small. Totally "realistically" sized biomes where you'dhave to hold W for days to get out of the endless plain you're in wouldn't work, but increasing the thickness of the world to allow for some actual mountains would be awesome.

I'd so love for some sort of simple level of detail system (come on this has to be easy when your world is made out of blocks, get some nearest neighbour poo poo going on here) that let us see the terrain thousands of blocks away. We could see a huge mountain range, or an ocean, wayyy off in the distance and really explore with a sense of scale and place. The visibility is so low it's often hard to get a true sense of a place.

Graphics people, how hard WOULD some sort of level of detail system work? Just something simple like "at 200 blocks display double sized blocks of the dominant texture, at 500 blocks display triple sized blocks of the average texture, at 1000 blocks display quadruple sized blocks of the average texture" or some sort of basic level of detail allowing us to see huge epic terrains.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, 1.8 still has the "bursting at the seams" featureful mapping.

It's river, and mountain, and hill, and gorge, and ravine, and mountain, and mountain and mountain, it's like there's no time spent roughing it between major land features.

My friend claimed the mountain near spawn for his fortress of doom, and I hung out for a while and I'm like "OKAY WORLD, I'm gunna have my own fortress of doom!"

and started out into the nearby forest

and stumbled across an even bigger mountain a hundred feet later with a giant lava waterfall.

Bah.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Minecraft desperately either needs a modding API or the source code released because the modding community is the only place I can get my Minecraft 'fix' anymore.
Mods have been doing things people are wishing for in the base game for a long time now. Airships, new mobs(horses/fish/bears/etc), real ACTUAL NPC villages (in 3 cultures to boot) with villagers and economies that grow and change with time, complex machinery and factories, real redstone improvements (that also add a poo poo-ton of aesthetic parts), fantasy alchemical things that push the 'game' itself out further, complex dungeons with redstone traps and musical puzzles..you can just keep rattling on.

To me the modding community (and as horribly terrible as it is) is where the real innovation is coming from now and the only place that puts to use things Notch has neglected. Still waiting for a reason for the Nether? Still want lamps? Still want windmills and water wheels? Still desire a rideable horse? Furniture? Guns? Turrets? The modding community has already done it and refined it down so well that I really doubt Notch's ability to deliver the same content without it being a sad attempt. Just look at Notch's NPC villages compared to Millénaire. Sure, Notch can all surprise us and his NPCs might be awesome, but there is a history of features that never get (or take a long rear end time) put into the game.

Well, this IS the Internet. One man can't do all that the hivemind collective can. I wish more games made use of this, since it's one of the unique things about the Internots.

I also like Baronjutter's idea, but I'm sure somebody might have already tried it and hasn't gotten it to work, else it'd already be here. :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm deep down in a mind slowly making my way out (kind of), and I turn a corner and :aaa:

DaftPVF
Aug 14, 2011
Now that animals don't despawn I can finally keep my own coloured sheep around forever!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So just to be clear on the new mob system, does this mean if I see some horrible nest of spiders in a cave far away, leave, come back a few real life days later with many minecraft restarts and saves, those spiders will still be there?

How does this work? Does a non-active area just freeze and remember what monsters and animals are there? Does it actively simulate their movements or anything?

Also has anyone else notices a huge drop in feathers? I used to always get feathers from chickens now they seem rare and I'm over-flowing in meat. I need arrows!!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I'm deep down in a mind slowly making my way out (kind of), and I turn a corner and :aaa:

What texture pack is that? I like the stone texture.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bash Ironfist posted:

What texture pack is that? I like the stone texture.

Oh! It's Sphax texture pack: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/376784-16x-32x-64x-128x-256x-512x18-sphax-purebdcraft-aetherzipline-v081-120911/

It's gorgeous.

Also that long tunnel opened up into the ocean, where I almost drowned huzzah!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Macaluso posted:

Oh! It's Sphax texture pack: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/376784-16x-32x-64x-128x-256x-512x18-sphax-purebdcraft-aetherzipline-v081-120911/

It's gorgeous.

Once you go Sphax you never go back.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Macaluso posted:

In this situation, I don't think that was a typo.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Macaluso posted:

It's gorgeous.

Nice. Although holy poo poo those res. 512x512? :aaa:

I figure the 32x is good to get?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I use 128 myself. Anything higher seems to make my game freeze upon trying to load the world for some reason.

redmercer posted:

Once you go Sphax you never go back.

Agreed. I go back to Kas' sometimes because his textures are awesome, but it's so hard not to always use Sphax.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I use 128 myself. Anything higher seems to make my game freeze upon trying to load the world for some reason.

Agreed. I go back to Kas' sometimes because his textures are awesome, but it's so hard not to always use Sphax.

128 doesn't affect your performance? I like the game, but it makes my comp run a tad hot.

edit: vvv nice, I'll give 128 a try!

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 22, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It affected it a little until 1.8, and now I have absolutely zero problems with it.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Clockwork-Ringtail posted:

How about improving the behavior of wolves so they're not useless for village defense? That's another example of something being rush added to the game because it was a neat idea, then totally forgotten about later.

It's confusing because the game is supposed to be considered complete in less than two months, yet rather than freezing features and polishing what's there in a final development push, the game is still in flux (is it becoming an RPG now?), and new things are getting thrown in on a whim. I guess the release date will be as meaningless as the beta label, seeing as how the game is already for sale anyway.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Toady posted:

I guess the release date will be as meaningless as the beta label, seeing as how the game is already for sale anyway.

IIRC, Mojang made it clear months ago that the release date was going to be just a label and not any sort of feature deadline. So, yeah, meaningless I guess.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Am I doing something wrong? How can people recommend the Painterly Pack after they've tried John Smith's (though I'm getting Sphax now as that looks a bit spesh)? Doesn't it take the game back to looking blocky and low-res for you?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evfedu posted:

Am I doing something wrong? How can people recommend the Painterly Pack after they've tried John Smith's (though I'm getting Sphax now as that looks a bit spesh)? Doesn't it take the game back to looking blocky and low-res for you?
... You're complaining about a game where things are made out of large cubes looking blocky? :confused:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I, for one, don't understand the appeal of hi-res textures on a world made entirely of cubes. It may work for some people, but not for me.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I don't know if it's just me but I prefer the 16x16 default resolution for minecraft. I often use Jolicraft and I just find that whole low pixel amount aspect of the look of Minecraft to be very appealing v:shobon:v

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

I, for one, don't understand the appeal of hi-res textures on a world made entirely of cubes. It may work for some people, but not for me.
Yeah there is nothing you can do to make the game not look blocky becuase it is made out of blocks. :psyduck:

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Yes yes very clever, but the whole appeal of the JS is that it smooths down the sharp edges somewhat. Plus his sprites for the tools don't make it look like Mr Minecraft is holding a fistful of pixels.

Strokes and folks, I guess :)

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Sphax is an amazing texture mod.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I want bump mapping and anti aliasing on my blocks

wise purchase
Feb 6, 2010

by T. Finn
Hey all, I have to say, this game looks very interesting and I've been considering purchasing it for awhile now, but I'm a bit concerned about the game still being in beta form. If people are paying the creator for an unfinished game, then what incentive does he have to finish the game? Who wants to pay full price for half a game? I mean, I have faith that notch isn't scamming us (he's a gamer like the rest of us, after all) but then I run across stuff like this which shakes my confidence. Do you think the community is robust enough to handle a non-beta minecraft becoming vaporware?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
One thing I don't like about the higher res textures is how apparent the tiling is. It seems more veiled in regular low res, but when you soup up the graphics, stuff like hi-res photorealism, the tiling is almost brain hurting.

Sphax looks good in that regard though.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

wise purchase posted:

Hey all, I have to say, this game looks very interesting and I've been considering purchasing it for awhile now, but I'm a bit concerned about the game still being in beta form. If people are paying the creator for an unfinished game, then what incentive does he have to finish the game? Who wants to pay full price for half a game? I mean, I have faith that notch isn't scamming us (he's a gamer like the rest of us, after all) but then I run across stuff like this which shakes my confidence. Do you think the community is robust enough to handle a non-beta minecraft becoming vaporware?

Trust me, you'll get your $15 worth of it. It's just that we used to get secret friday updates all the time, so development's slow relatively speaking.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

wise purchase posted:

Just buy the game. It is fun and worth way more than 15 bucks.

Also, didn't he only do the secret friday updates for like a month or two.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

wise purchase posted:

Just buy it, you won't regret it. Even though I only play a week or so a month of the game to keep from getting burnt out, It's easily became the most played game I've ever had. I bought it last October and probably have put in 200-300 hours into it.

crossektion
Jun 8, 2011

by T. Fine
Notch is a fat lazy gently caress, fat lazy gently caress goons agree with his life choices and support him, what a surprise.

Here's hoping 1.9 actually makes the game any fun. Some real goals would be nice.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

wise purchase posted:

Yeah as others have said, it's really fun, there's lots of different ways you can play it. Try to get on a multiplayer server with friends or goons (there's TONS of goon servers for your choosing) because personally I find building a lot more fun when you can show it off to other people, or can work together with other people to build something cool or go spelunking.

edit: and that picture you linked was done by some total nutcase so don't be worried about that stuff.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

crossektion posted:

Notch is a fat lazy gently caress, fat lazy gently caress goons agree with his life choices and support him, what a surprise.

Here's hoping 1.9 actually makes the game any fun. Some real goals would be nice.
:allears:

I've been having a good time setting my own goals.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

wise purchase posted:

It's not a half-game, it's just an excellent fantasy lego simulator that happens to also be a so-so game. Some people (myself included) wish it were fully both, but at its current price point it'd be worth it for the lego aspect alone.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

wise purchase posted:

It's way more than a $15 dollar game now, even if nothing else is done. It's not unfinished by any stretch of the imagination.

And it's totally not going to be going drying up at any time either. Notch has a company now, and employees (well at least one employee) to work on the game if he personally loses interest. Which he totally hasn't. He just made a snowman mob earlier today... you can tell he's enjoying himself with fluff like that. (For some unfathomable reason this pisses off people here to no end, who feel they're owed Notch's constantly suffering.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
plus the price will go up when it's in "release" mode. So if anything, it being in "beta" is an advantage. As was "alpha" when it was even cheaper.