Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

MisterBibs posted:

The fact that XP doesn't 'fully' use 4g leads me to think to upgrade to Win7, but just upgrading to Win7 won't help the memory issues in minecraft... or would it?

Upgrading both won't help with your memory issues unless you get (or already have) a 64 bit processor and a 64 bit version of 7. It's not the version of Windows that is the issue, it's the bits - 32 bit simply can't address more than 4GB, and various things get counted against that (like video RAM), so the expected max on any 32 bit version of Windows is about 3.5GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Windows 7 really is the best windows to date, so glad I made the investment.

and yeah, 64 bit for life

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well, if you have a 32 bit CPU, you won't be able to use 64 bit Windows 7, so you would still not be able to use 4 gigabytes of RAM were you to then upgrade that.

To actually use more than 4 GB minus the RAM on your video card minus any other RAM on cards in the system (Which usually ends up with a 4 GB system having only 2.5-3.5 GB of RAM usable) you need to have:
A: A 64 bit CPU
B: 64 bit Windows (Vista or 7 would work but you'd obviously buy 7 now)
C: The 4 GB or more of RAM

edit: beaten

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The best way to avoid the minecraft memory issues is to upgrade to x64 Win7 with Java7. This doesn't always solve the problem since it is minecraft's issue.

Another way is to lower the render viewdistance.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Calm down, man, it's just the guide. That's what developer art is for.

There are only two people who do art for minecraft, notch and jeb. They're both programmers. Junkboy is on permanent scrolls assignment. So he's not overreacting, it's gonna look like poo poo.

Luckily I never use the default textures.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
On the plus side, releasing the textures this early means that kas gets one heck of a head start! :v:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
One thing I've done that helped me with the occasional stuttering is to set the performance to "power saver" mode, which as far as I can tell locks the framerate at about 40 fps - it wont try to render more than that. Lowering other graphics settings may also help, but the game looks bad enough as it is.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I have to admit this is vaguely off-topic for the thread, but since the framing-issue is Minecraft, I hope I don't get yelled at for it:

As I mentioned earlier, playing with a high-res pack (which is so purty I can't bring myself to go back) has been causing me a lot of out-of-memory issues. I'm on Windows XP, with 2g of memory (I'm a "upgrade only when I really need to" guy, which is why I haven't upgraded much), so it's not really surprising.

Because Minecraft is the only situation so far I've had issues with, I'm a bit hesitant about spending a lot of cash on a Windows upgrade and memory, so I'd like to pick one: upgrade to more memory, or upgrade Windows?

The fact that XP doesn't 'fully' use 4g leads me to think to upgrade to Win7, but just upgrading to Win7 won't help the memory issues in minecraft... or would it?

Buy a 300.00 desktop with a radeon card in it from best buy, it will be better in literally every way.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
Looks like Notch has improved the dragon a bit:

Still horrific programmer art, but now the wings look a bit more like wings.

...Also looks like he still hasn't fixed the swamp biome transitions.

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
I think that it looks great so far, actually. :3:

SMP
May 5, 2009

I think the only thing it needs now is some color. Right now it looks terribly unfinished.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I feel like if he bumped down the texture resolution by half it'd fit better in the ~*~`minecraft universe`~*~ :gay:

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe
I'd love to see the flight animation. I guess we'll have to wait on that though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I might make a mod that let's you mount a dragon head on your wall, if no one beats me to it.
I want that skull over my easy chair.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I want its skull AS my easy chair.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any particular reason why my house is being ransacked by monsters every time I try and go to sleep? I have a 2-block radius covered around my bed, and the lighting is fine. Here's some screens:

What is it about this that's causing me to get woken up? I've tried moving the bed, adding more torches, flipping the doors. What am I missing?

World link: http://www.filedropper.com/cocwads

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

SMP posted:

I think the only thing it needs now is some color. Right now it looks terribly unfinished.

I have a feeling we'll get variable dragon color, like we have with leaves and such.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Schwarzwald posted:

I might make a mod that let's you mount a dragon head on your wall, if no one beats me to it.
I want that skull over my easy chair.

I want that skull on my skull. Pumpkins be damned.

The dragon looks a lot better than I thought it would, but I would agree with Fayez Butts. It almost looks out of place in Minecraft. Too many polygons!

Also, I know that we started off with Zombies and Skeletons, but with all of the Endermen, Silverfish, and Ghasts, I was sort of hoping the Minecraft interpretation of "Dragon" wouldn't be a generic fantasy style Dragon.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
So I remember when minecraft updated with pistons and I was like "woohoo, another thing I'll never use".
I always ignored redstone, had shitloads of things, but was constantly turned off by seeing those complicated things they did to have something as simple as an automatic door. Hell, it was the only thing I hadn't done in minecraft after getting sick of it. I was even ready to leave minecraft (before the updates)!

Holy poo poo am I hooked. This thing just breathed a shitload of air to a game that was already gaining momentum with these updates. Now I fear for my academic output. :(

I also modified the timing of my escalator so now you have to be sprinting to gup it, and you have to jump at the last second or fall into a pool of lava. I almost died 3 times in there.
EDIT: replace "gup" with "go up" but for some reason I like gup more.

By the way, 1.9's terrain generation is fantastic:

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 9, 2011

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any particular reason why my house is being ransacked by monsters every time I try and go to sleep? I have a 2-block radius covered around my bed, and the lighting is fine. Here's some screens:

What is it about this that's causing me to get woken up? I've tried moving the bed, adding more torches, flipping the doors. What am I missing?

World link: http://www.filedropper.com/cocwads

It's because of the double doors - "When trying to sleep in a bed at night, a monster may enter through the outside right hinged door and disturb the player. To prevent this, keep the right hinge door open, and you will be able to sleep."

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Doors#Double_Door

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

billy cuts posted:

It's because of the double doors - "When trying to sleep in a bed at night, a monster may enter through the outside right hinged door and disturb the player. To prevent this, keep the right hinge door open, and you will be able to sleep."

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Doors#Double_Door

What the gently caress. I'll try this out when I get back, thanks. I might just remove the doors altogether and make a piston thingy instead.

Thud
Dec 17, 2002

A Shit eater?
Do we talk about Yogscast in this thread or the modding one? Either way, the latest SoI is up and it's definitely the best one in a while!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos#p/u/0/bNt-vUkFO1w

The only bad part is that it was almost impossible to see the Giant. Great episode though!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
So uhhh, who are these yogcast people? I see them mentioned a lot and pretty much what I know about them is that they do Let's Plays of minecraft? Any goon willing to shed more light on the subject?

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Thud posted:

Do we talk about Yogscast in this thread or the modding one? Either way, the latest SoI is up and it's definitely the best one in a while!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos#p/u/0/bNt-vUkFO1w

The only bad part is that it was almost impossible to see the Giant. Great episode though!

That was an amazing reveal when I realized it wasn't just a zombie chilling out at the end of the machine.

I just have to know how you were hurled into the air during the wild ride at the end.

EDIT: pres butan

sinekumquat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 10, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

ArfJason posted:

So uhhh, who are these yogcast people? I see them mentioned a lot and pretty much what I know about them is that they do Let's Plays of minecraft? Any goon willing to shed more light on the subject?

That's it, except they are exceptionally good at it and very popular and also post here occasionally :ssh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The music in this one was amazing :dance:

edit: holy poo poo the end!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 10, 2011

Rabbi Vole
Jul 19, 2003

muppet buttock

Macaluso posted:

The music in this one was amazing :dance:

edit: holy poo poo the end!

I had no loving idea you could do that with pistons.

I swear this poo poo gets more elaborate every episode.

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
I'm more surprised by the iTunes album. I didn't think it was all original music!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

I feel like if he bumped down the texture resolution by half it'd fit better in the ~*~`minecraft universe`~*~ :gay:
I like the idea of the dragons being way more detailed than everything else. Makes them a bit more otherworldly and alien.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ArfJason posted:

They're just a couple gaywads who talk over movies of a vidcon game

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.

Rabbi Vole posted:

I had no loving idea you could do that with pistons.

I swear this poo poo gets more elaborate every episode.

There is no way! I just tried a few different ways and got no such launching result. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ArfJason posted:

They're "Shadows of Israphel" thing is basically like a super long and elaborate DMed live adventure map built just for them that they record. They also do videos of other games that interests them and they're funny, so that's pretty much it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They're "Shadows of Israphel" thing is basically like a super long and elaborate DMed live adventure map built just for them that they record. They also do videos of other games that interests them and they're funny, so that's pretty much it.

In some ways I actually prefer the LPs of adventure maps to the SoI stuff, though the latter's amazing in itself just because of all the ridiculously awesome locations their friends build for them to bumble around in.

Here's all their Minecraft stuff collected together, though they do have videos of lots of other games too. I think they're funny, but apparently they irritate the hell out of some people, so YMMV.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 10, 2011

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Yeah, they're goons. "YOGS" stands for "Ye Olde Goon Squad", an EU SA WoW guild.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
That guy imitating Johnny Vegas makes me want to punch him in the throat so bad, because you just know he's the guy who does it all the time in real life and pisses everyone off around him.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Any word on whether he's going to make day/night toggleable in creative. Cause he totes should.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Tactical Grace posted:

Any word on whether he's going to make day/night toggleable in creative. Cause he totes should.

There was a really cool effect left in one of the recent patches where F5 and F6 would fast forward or reverse time. It loving OWNED and if there was a craftable item with limited time/uses that worked with that effect it would be amazing.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Make it an enchantment on survival?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone playing this with a Radeon card using the 11.10 drivers? Starting up minecraft crashes my drivers every time. Is there a fix for this besides rolling back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've been using the Rage drivers fine, try turning off triple buffering.