Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
God I wish there was a way to change biomes in a specific spot or add biome specific water somewhere, this build would benefit greatly from swampy water below it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does the game currently store biome at location or just assume it'll match a formula?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It stores the biome per column in the chunks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So are they looking at updating combat (again?) for the next update or something? Was kinda curious what they're looking to do next and there's something about a combat snapshot and a new mob vote on the reddit.

Wish they would do transportation update or something. Minecart networks were one of my favorite things of early minecraft thanks to the ridiculous glitch boosters, but basically every attempt to formalize that mechanic has kinda disappointed me. Powered minecarts were useless and awkward, and powered rails are kinda annoying to set up since you need gold.

Like, how the heck is there not a drivable train yet?!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah, they're working on making combat acceptable to both PvE and PvP players. Right now they are fine tuning for PvP and will then fine tune those changes for PvE. I'm mostly okay with that as an idea, except instead of adding new weapon types they're doing things like giving combat-centric attributes to hoes. I'll never understand why Mojang is allergic to adding basic new content. It always has to be a massive overhaul to something (Ocean Update, Village & Pillage, Nether) or something nobody asked for (Bees).

... Not that I dislike the bees as such... except for the missed opportunity for beeswax and candles.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't played much, but the Oceans and Nether updates seemed like the right idea - more world variety, more blocks, more -things.-

Or I certainly thought the Nether was always kinda lacking - it was just sort of a poo poo hole filled with annoying enemies where beds explode because gently caress you. Only a bit later did they turn it into "the place where you need to find a specific structure so you can do alchemy." I always felt mods like nether ores had the right idea of turning it into "dangerous but lucrative."

Always thought it was kind of funny they almost aggressively avoided ever doing the oft-fan requested idea of "The Aether" - but given how useless the Nether was, I guess maybe it was for the better. (Granted they went on to do an even more boring and lame second dimension.)

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Oxyclean posted:

I haven't played much, but the Oceans and Nether updates seemed like the right idea - more world variety, more blocks, more -things.-

Oh, yeah, for sure. To clarify, I wasn't saying the massive overhauls are bad (I love them, even the new villager mechanics), just that it's one category of content change Mojang is at all willing to do. If it's going to add new content people like, it'll come in a massive overhaul. If it's just a small change, it'll be something weird and out of left field. They just seem to have have weird restrictions on what they'll change; so they'll apparently overhaul the combat mechanics, but adding, say, spears as a weapon when they do this is out of the question because ???

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
You guys have any ideas for ways to protect something from TNT if lag makes a redstone machine gently caress up and not move the TNT like it's supposed to? I had a single bore TNT thing set up in the nether that lit TNT and then launched it forward but the server lagged as i did it and the TNT didn't move and blew up the entire thing and it was very sad

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

You guys have any ideas for ways to protect something from TNT if lag makes a redstone machine gently caress up and not move the TNT like it's supposed to? I had a single bore TNT thing set up in the nether that lit TNT and then launched it forward but the server lagged as i did it and the TNT didn't move and blew up the entire thing and it was very sad

If you had the machine fill the block the TNT started in with water after it was supposed to launch that would save you.

but... the nether. (lava might help too? I don't actually know what the interaction between TNT and lava is)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miM69fbTzoI

This is pretty cool, but somehow feels like a highly produced shitpost to me. Either way, I loving love it and I'm sure some people are very upset.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's the best that they went all-in on just not changing anything about how the character looks or animates. Either go big, or don't go at all, and it's hilarious they went with the latter

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
It doesn't seem like a good fit to me but I haven't played Smash Bros since the Gamecube days so I'm probably wrong on this...

Either way it will probably entice Minecraft kids to go out and buy the game now so in that way it works I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
almost all the mechanics steve has in the trailer look to be fairly unique, from the equipment upgrade gimmick to the minecarts being an individual entity that carries enemy players off if you jump out of them while they're moving, to the block placement and mining for resources. He looks like a jank-rear end character and I am 100% for it in lieu of Yet Another Swordsman

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Most of the DLC characters have been pretty unique. It’s actually really crazy all the mechanics they’ve thrown into the game.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone ever play Eco? It seems to be along the same lines of Minecraft but more simmy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This Steve and Alex gameplay breakdown for smash is kind of insane in how much detail from minecraft they crammed in there to make it as accurate as possible

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Minecon preshow is on.

Show starts in 15m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWZIfsaIgtE

e:Next update is Caves and Cliffs.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 3, 2020

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Finally some proper caves!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Bernardo Orel posted:

Finally some proper caves!

Yeah they've done a really good job with it.
Standard cave generation has changed plus Lush caves.

e: they hired The Aether mod creator for some of the new stuff.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 3, 2020

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Yay, caves! Also, the blind Warden looks cool.

Edit: Goats!

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 3, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

WTF, there's Minecraft books?
And they got Max Brooks to write them?

Sweet we got goats now.
Hated the llamas

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Friggin cave update FINALLY.

Also, playing Minecraft while this is going on and the creeper noises for the title cards was confusing the absolute hell out of me for a hot minute.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1312427526946521088

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Moobloom already being referred to as Piss Cow.

The Piss Cow is real.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I think I might just jump back in with a proper cave update (plus ocean/nether/whatever else I’ve missed since like ... 2016?)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Go vote for the squid you maniacs

https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1312432010431016960

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
They haven't even shown the cliffs update yet. That should be fun as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Glow squid should drop an ink sack that makes glow in the dark dye.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They've shown quite a bit of the new caves yeah but nothing about cliffs.

Also Glowsquid is the winner.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Copper and ore veins are awesome additions.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1312446162352238592

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Con highlights.
All of this coming in 2021 sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmkGOy7pS4I

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This is a pretty blessed time for this game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How are bundles any different than shulkers other than being (probably) easier to make?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IronicDongz posted:

This is a pretty blessed time for this game.
yeah, if anyone missed it, check out the Minecraft Steve & Alex gameplay breakdown in Smash Bros. It's really unbelievable the lengths they went to incorporate Minecraft mechanics in smash bros, and Steve looks like one of the most complicated fighting game characters ever because of it. Sakurai is really dedicated to his craft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sp5o1JJdDk&hd=1

complicated, but also, kind of incredible. I want to see what pro Steve smash play is like. Some of those moves are really nuts, and the very idea of strategic mining based on the location you're standing in any given stage is kind of nuts.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, if anyone missed it, check out the Minecraft Steve & Alex gameplay breakdown in Smash Bros. It's really unbelievable the lengths they went to incorporate Minecraft mechanics in smash bros, and Steve looks like one of the most complicated fighting game characters ever because of it. Sakurai is really dedicated to his craft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sp5o1JJdDk&hd=1

complicated, but also, kind of incredible. I want to see what pro Steve smash play is like. Some of those moves are really nuts, and the very idea of strategic mining based on the location you're standing in any given stage is kind of nuts.

I know it's because they all use the same model, but I'm unreasonably annoyed at the stubby enderman.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Have they ever fixed the spawning issue in Bedrock that led to slimes being impossible to find?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
im slightly disappointed that they didn't use ender pearls, that would have been a really interesting mechanic. probably OP but still fun.

still they basically built minecraft in smash so that's neat

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hughlander posted:

Have they ever fixed the spawning issue in Bedrock that led to slimes being impossible to find?

yeah bedrock uses java spawn mechanics now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Thumbtacks posted:

How are bundles any different than shulkers other than being (probably) easier to make?

Shulkers have 24 slots, all of which can hold 64 items.

Bundles have multiple slots but the total items that can be in one bundle can be no more than 64. So they are helpful to free up slots in your own inventory such as if you had 5 slots of 5 dirt, 15 stone, etc you just put them in a bundle and now you are just using one of your inventory slots instead of multiple.