Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«864 »
YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Broken Loose posted:

Before this gets out of hand, those are both really stupid questions that could be answered with mere seconds of research.

The snow biome one was easily findable but the other one was not; thanks for taking the time out to vent some worthless vitriol into your doublepost though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

--I don't read--

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004

Broken Loose posted:

Notch has removed the snow biomes permanently because they don't fit his "vision" for the game.

If that's the case then what's this?

Notch posted:

Iím working on Snow biomes

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/102384...we-released-1-8

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

^^^^^^^
He was being "ironic"

hogofwar posted:

--I don't read--

I understand you're trying to imply that I don't read the thread, and you're correct. However my questions didn't show up in the last couple of pages, and they aren't in the OP, and expecting me to read 80+ pages of people posting about their favorite seeds is demanding a lot and it's not going to happen. Rather, you can get over it and answer my question, or ignore my post and not respond at all. Either way, the content of the thread is improved.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

YOURFRIEND posted:

I understand you're trying to imply that I don't read the thread, and you're correct. However my questions didn't show up in the last couple of pages, and they aren't in the OP, and expecting me to read 80+ pages of people posting about their favorite seeds is demanding a lot and it's not going to happen. Rather, you can get over it and answer my question, or ignore my post and not respond at all. Either way, the content of the thread is improved.
He ninja-edited his post. He originally said snow biomes were coming back in 1.9

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

How common is the memory issue that causes a crash? I looked around a bit and found that making sure both 64 and 32 bit java apps were installed was a possible fix. It seems to have worked for me as well.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

edit: sorry, nevermind.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

SMP posted:

Curse required all texture pack creators to add a copyright thing to their threads, under the threat of removal.

Huh. Maybe that's why Planet Minecraft's popularity suddenly blew the gently caress up. The site is beginning to buckle under traffic.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Ok, I think I'm screwing something up. Trying to do the memory trick, followed the instructions in the op, but when I click the newly created shortcut it doesn't seem to do anything. Isn't it supposed to open Minecraft? I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Do you have significantly more than 4 gigs of RAM? if not, lower the 4___ number. I should add that to the op.

Hitlers Gay Secret
Mar 7, 2010

The Third Reich's under new -- and better -- management.

Hasn't word reached Camp Pendleton yet?

College Slice

Got my new computer and lo and behold, it too can't play Minecraft without stuttering to a halt.

Also my old computer can't play it anymore due to "bad drivers" or something.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

Vanadium posted:

Not a lawyer, but you don't need to file for a copyright. You just create something, and if its copyrightable (ie. not trivial or whatever), bam, you have the copyright.

what about the fact that it's an edit of notch's terrain.png? Does that matter?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

glitchwraith posted:

Ok, I think I'm screwing something up. Trying to do the memory trick, followed the instructions in the op, but when I click the newly created shortcut it doesn't seem to do anything. Isn't it supposed to open Minecraft? I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong.

I've tried this, but I get a "Could not create Java virtual machine" error when trying to start.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Years later we would look back on this moment and laugh, but at the time it truly seemed as if the world were coming to an end.

GreatKesh posted:

what about the fact that it's an edit of notch's terrain.png? Does that matter?
Not by itself, no, because that's just a filename and although the contents may appear similar that's a result of structural functionality, not of derivation.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

NO FILE

Broken Loose posted:

Before this gets out of hand, those are both really stupid questions that could be answered with mere seconds of research.

Thanks for taking those seconds to put in the effort condemning the other guy for being lazy instead.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Has anyone figured out how to change the lighting colours yet? None of the Painterly options or my own light_normal.png's do anything, so I'm assuming that's not how you change it. The torchlight falloff looks like poo poo, though, and I'm very much looking forward to fixing it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

glitchwraith posted:

Yep, that's the issue. Will try a lower amount. Thanks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PalmTreeFun posted:

Clearly it's an organic diode.

Google "kimichi vegetable diode"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

I'll have what he's having.

Hadlock posted:

Google "kimichi vegetable diode"

I did, but I only got results for "kimchi vegetable diode"!

Side note: I want to make an adventure map. What do the people of SA like to see most? Jumping puzzles? Lock mechanisms? Redstone circuit/minecarts? Portals? Map-based traveling?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I'm playing Tech's pack. Christ, found some rubber trees, found some copper. No loving clue what to do with them yet, but I like to figure stuff out through experimentation, so I love dis pack.

I will say going back and forth between this and 1.8 shows me that the lighting really is better in 1.8. But I'm just not that into vanilla minecraft anymore. Once you go Tech...you never go back. Yeah.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007
INSOLENT

Grimey Drawer

When I was watching the Yogscast do The Return (which is a pretty cool map now that the lava jumping puzzle was removed), it occurred to me that it'd be neat if somebody made an adventure map where phase one happened in the regular world, phase two happened in the Nether, and then phase three happened in in a modified copy of phase one's area in a different location of the regular world.

i.e. you could make a city, enter the Nether through a portal in that city, exit the Nether through a different portal that comes out in a duplicate of that city (copied via MCEdit or something) that has been altered to fit the plot somehow.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

pseudorandom name posted:

When I was watching the Yogscast do The Return (which is a pretty cool map now that the lava jumping puzzle was removed), it occurred to me that it'd be neat if somebody made an adventure map where phase one happened in the regular world, phase two happened in the Nether, and then phase three happened in in a modified copy of phase one's area in a different location of the regular world.

i.e. you could make a city, enter the Nether through a portal in that city, exit the Nether through a different portal that comes out in a duplicate of that city (copied via MCEdit or something) that has been altered to fit the plot somehow.

Play Gourd Avenger 2.

http://yogiverse.com/showthread.php...Gourd-Avenger-2!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007
INSOLENT

Grimey Drawer

Huh. I've already played GA2 and I don't remember that at all.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Huh. I've already played GA2 and I don't remember that at all.

It really matches what you just said above. You go to the nether, do your thing there and then come back to what I think is actually the same location only..modified. (I'm probably wrong though, never cartographed GA2)

Edit: wrong as in it could be a duplicate area.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007
INSOLENT

Grimey Drawer

No, you're right, there's duplicated chunks.

And I think GA2 was another adventure map where I died in lava in the Nether and deleted it immediately afterwards.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

So a couple friends and I were trying to make a sweet railroad track to transfer resources from our NPC-town homebase to a nearby station at the spire where we are building a doom fortress, but I can't seem to figure out how to get powered minecarts to work. I set up a chestcart full of building supplies, put a furnace cart behind it, apply coal, and it just bumps into the chest cart and stops, without moving it at all. I've tried it with two powered carts just to try and get some more power, but still nothing.

Is there some basic principle here that I missed or are they bugged in 1.8.1 or something? I would try using powered rails, but we haven't found that much gold.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Well I can't find it but I'm pretty sure someone posted coordinates for a stronghold on the Something Awful seed, I think it was like, 300X, 30Y but I don't know the Z. I checked the last 15 pages, anyone write down the coordinates around there?

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:

No, you're right, there's duplicated chunks.

And I think GA2 was another adventure map where I died in lava in the Nether and deleted it immediately afterwards.

My bad dawg. My bad. But yeah I just copy pasted the spawn location and made some minor changes to the copied location.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010

Has anyone encountered Endermen yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLN20cT4Zw

This one scared the living poo poo out of me. I hit him and he disappeared. I assume he's out there waiting for me to let down my guard and gently caress me up.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.

Fun Shoe

mcsnitches posted:

Has anyone encountered Endermen yet?

No. You are the first. No one has ever seen them before or discussed them in the last five to thirty pages of this thread. Please, tell us all about them for we are frightened and confused by the macabre rumors about these mysterious things.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

TehKeen posted:

So a couple friends and I were trying to make a sweet railroad track to transfer resources from our NPC-town homebase to a nearby station at the spire where we are building a doom fortress, but I can't seem to figure out how to get powered minecarts to work. I set up a chestcart full of building supplies, put a furnace cart behind it, apply coal, and it just bumps into the chest cart and stops, without moving it at all. I've tried it with two powered carts just to try and get some more power, but still nothing.

Is there some basic principle here that I missed or are they bugged in 1.8.1 or something? I would try using powered rails, but we haven't found that much gold.

Powered minecarts basically suck, and no one uses them because they can only really push themselves up a slope (and even then they sometimes suck). Use powered rails for minecart transit. I usually end up cheating in rails because gently caress trying to dig up enough gold and iron...

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

TehKeen posted:

Cart collisions only work in the north-south direction. On east/west track they just stop.

Edit: In order to travel east/west, do something like this:

tinaun fucked around with this message at Sep 18, 2011 around 13:45

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Taffer posted:

Redstone question time!

I have a nice fancy piston door that works great, but it'd be neat if it could close automatically after ~5 seconds. My current setup is a button, hooked up to a flip-flip circuit that will toggle when the button is pushed, but I'd really like it to just hold the circuit in an off state for 5 seconds. is this possible?

I made a "bridge that comes out of nowhere when you press on pressure plates and lasts only as long as it takes to run across" by adding redstone repeaters to the circuit. Right click each repeater to make the two leads as far apart as you can (its either 3 or 4 clicks). I think each repeater adds like half a second?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

Trophy-ko says:
~death to capitalism~

Hilalry is 45

I like how Endermen behave on multiplayer right now. That is, how they don't respond to you looking at them, and only become hostile if you attack 'em.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

can you ride a track in a circle for a while to get the achievement or does it seriously have to be a mile in absolute distance?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So do Endermen have some kind of sense when you're about to attack them to teleport away? I swear I had an Enderman who would only get close to me when he was behind me and only the sun rising saved my rear end

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

GobyWan posted:

Has anyone figured out how to change the lighting colours yet? None of the Painterly options or my own light_normal.png's do anything, so I'm assuming that's not how you change it. The torchlight falloff looks like poo poo, though, and I'm very much looking forward to fixing it.

Notch buggered something up, so, much like the issue with compasses and watches, the game is reading a hard-coded path for the lighting colours, taken from the base game file, and ignoring the ones in texture packs.

I actually bugged Notch and Jeb about the compass/watch thing before and got some weird runaround answer about how it would be next to impossible to make the compass and watch graphics read from texture packs, which is ridiculous because mcpatcher makes it work just fine.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kas posted:

Notch buggered something up, so, much like the issue with compasses and watches, the game is reading a hard-coded path for the lighting colours, taken from the base game file, and ignoring the ones in texture packs.

I actually bugged Notch and Jeb about the compass/watch thing before and got some weird runaround answer about how it would be next to impossible to make the compass and watch graphics read from texture packs, which is ridiculous because mcpatcher makes it work just fine.

They really should just put Jeb and Notch in "idea guy" positions and get them away from the code.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

kas posted:

He also said it was impossible to do colored light. Community proved him wrong and it ended up in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

For some reason whenever I start a game in SP or MP the game will not load any of the world, it looks like I am using a wall hack. All I can see is the outlines of blocks and sometimes lava or monsters. Anyone else have this issue? I've tried re installing it a couple times as well as removing my texture packs yet it won't go away.

«864 »