Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
so I started getting into this again after years and years, got the Bedrock edition off the Microsoft store, and achievements don't work

no, I am not in Creative mode

no, cheats are not on

yes, I've tried reinstalling Minecraft and yes I've tried setting up another world

I've googled the everloving poo poo out of this problem and apparently it's been a thing since at least 2013, and I can't get any actual answers as to what the gently caress to do with it

I just, don't have achievements, or any of the poo poo that gets unlocked by achievements. The game says I can unlock them; I cannot. My only theory is that it's because I selected Save to Device or whatever instead of "save purchases to microsoft account" when it prompts you at the start, but I can't find any way to change it. Even after installing I never got the prompt again. I don't even know if that's the problem. Microsoft's help site sucks and the store UI sucks and this frankly insignificant problem has turned into a whole ordeal, how does Microsoft gently caress up a chievo system in Minecraft, that whole sentence makes me want to scream. It's the principle of it, how does this happen

edit: I'm on Windows 10 if that makes any difference

double edit: I solved it but I can barely explain how

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Lunatic Sledge posted:

so I started getting into this again after years and years, got the Bedrock edition off the Microsoft store, and achievements don't work

no, I am not in Creative mode

no, cheats are not on

yes, I've tried reinstalling Minecraft and yes I've tried setting up another world

I've googled the everloving poo poo out of this problem and apparently it's been a thing since at least 2013, and I can't get any actual answers as to what the gently caress to do with it

I just, don't have achievements, or any of the poo poo that gets unlocked by achievements. The game says I can unlock them; I cannot. My only theory is that it's because I selected Save to Device or whatever instead of "save purchases to microsoft account" when it prompts you at the start, but I can't find any way to change it. Even after installing I never got the prompt again. I don't even know if that's the problem. Microsoft's help site sucks and the store UI sucks and this frankly insignificant problem has turned into a whole ordeal, how does Microsoft gently caress up a chievo system in Minecraft, that whole sentence makes me want to scream. It's the principle of it, how does this happen

edit: I'm on Windows 10 if that makes any difference

double edit: I solved it but I can barely explain how

I'm curious how, because I have this same issue. I think mine is associated with turning off services that report stuff back to MS, but I don't care enough about achievements to turn them back on.

Edit: The service is "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry." Enabling this temporarily allowed the achievements to work, and I didn't have to exit the game to do so.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 19, 2021

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Glass of Milk posted:

I'm curious how, because I have this same issue. I think mine is associated with turning off services that report stuff back to MS, but I don't care enough about achievements to turn them back on.

Edit: The service is "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry." Enabling this temporarily allowed the achievements to work, and I didn't have to exit the game to do so.

that was, in fact, exactly what I did

my work here is done

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Glass of Milk posted:

wonderful! i hate it!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I tried to replace my skin with a different skin and swap the heads out but when I did that I ended up with a LOT of areas that were just black. I'm guessing it's because I used Paint because I don't have anything that can do transparency? Is there a way to fix that? I guess GIMP could potentially do transparent, if that's what the problem is.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

I tried to replace my skin with a different skin and swap the heads out but when I did that I ended up with a LOT of areas that were just black. I'm guessing it's because I used Paint because I don't have anything that can do transparency? Is there a way to fix that? I guess GIMP could potentially do transparent, if that's what the problem is.

Maybe someone can answer you with more confidence but yeah, it could be transparency, and yeah GIMP would handle transparency properly. I seem to remember heads have a sort of outer layer that you can use for e.g. hair, and that would often have a lot of transparency in it.

I guess another potential problem is the old vs. new models (if I recall correctly it's to do with how wide the arms are) but if you only swapped the head it's probably not that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's probably the outer layer stuff that's supposed to be transparent making everything black, even if all you changed was the head, like you said, Paint isn't properly going to save the transparency. If all you're looking for is something that will save the transparency in images, I feel like Paint.NET probably would be a better choice over GIMP because it's less resource intensive and more importantly, it starts up faster.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Post it here, I can fix it for you if you like.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Oh thanks. Currently using this, i suspect the problem is that most of the extra space is white and not transparent probably. Tried to combine it with this this one but it really didn't work. Wanted to keep the body and hood of the second one and just add the face (and probably eyebrows/hand) of the first one (and change skin color to yellow) but every time I tried it there was either white or black space everywhere. I'd appreciate you taking a look at it!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Thumbtacks posted:

Oh thanks. Currently using this, i suspect the problem is that most of the extra space is white and not transparent probably. Tried to combine it with this this one but it really didn't work. Wanted to keep the body and hood of the second one and just add the face (and probably eyebrows/hand) of the first one (and change skin color to yellow) but every time I tried it there was either white or black space everywhere. I'd appreciate you taking a look at it!

You could also go here, import the good one and paint the parts you wanted to change.
https://www.minecraftskins.net/skineditor

or here

https://www.minecraftskins.com/skin-editor/

Both have options to upload from file then download to file.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Oh that works extremely well, awesome. Thank you, got it fixed up myself! Cool site.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Is there something special about clerics and/or brewing stands that would explain why this guy isn't picking up the job?

If I remove the stair block in front, he picks it up, then drops it after I replace the stair block.

e: nvm, lowering the brewing stand one block fixes it. must be a weird LoS thing.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 3, 2021

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I started playing Minecraft again like a month ago? I've been playing on screenshots and trying not to venture too far out so that any new world generation changes could be added in to places I haven't loaded into my game yet.

But what I didn't expect was;

1. They were increasing world height and depth.
2. This would make all current worlds incompatible (possibly temporary, but who knows how long that will be)

So now I can't get any further updates to my game because the world will not work beyond 21w05b.

What I was hoping I could do, was re-create the seed in the current snapshot, and somehow edit the stuff I've built into that new world. Looking at stuff, it appears that can be done using WorldEdit. But to use that, I need to install Forge, and from what I've read, Forge will only work for the game version it's made for, and they don't make versions that support snapshots.

So is there anything I can do, or am I just gonna have to start from scratch?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I would also like confirmation of the world compatibility thing. I have a server that at least 2 other people play on and this could be a huge bummer.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

They haven't announced anything so we don't really know. Likely the snapshots will continue to be non-compatible because if they're going to put in the effort to add the ability to upgrade worlds, they're not going to do it until they're done messing with the new generation. So that might not even be until they start to put out release candidates at the absolute earliest. They also probably haven't announced it because they're not 100% sure either way. Some change along the way might equally either make things really easy or really difficult.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
The patch notes for 21w06a specifically state “You'll be unable to open old worlds in this snapshot as there is currently no upgrade path towards the new world height,” so make of that what you will. I personally interpret that to mean that the intent is to implement an upgrade path, but who knows how that will actually work.

The thing with playing on snapshots is that everything could be destroyed at any moment due to a change. You may need to abandon your old world and start a new one. Some unforeseen bug could kill everything you hold dear and there’s nothing you can do about it. You must embrace chaos and welcome entropy. You worship The Wither now.

EDIT: While we’re on the subject of snapshots though, it’s super weird to me that grimstone further cements regular-rear end stone as the outlier among all stone types. I expected grimstone to drop a cobble variant, but it drops itself like granite, andesite, diorite, and blackstone do. At this point, cobblestone dropping from stone seems to be opposed to the way the current developers want stone to work in general. I wonder if they’ll change it, or if they’re afraid to do so because the player base might revolt. It’s kind of like how one of the core design principles of the game authored by Jeb is that disaster can only befall a player if it’s their fault (i.e. due to insufficient preparation), but Creepers don’t follow that principle because they’re too iconic to change and existed before that principle was written.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 18, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's a shame too because smooth stone and its subsequent crafts are such a good material they belong in almost every build, but they take a ton of time to smelt up and have to be re-smelted if you make a mistake placing them. Sucks.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Vib Rib posted:

It's a shame too because smooth stone and its subsequent crafts are such a good material they belong in almost every build, but they take a ton of time to smelt up and have to be re-smelted if you make a mistake placing them. Sucks.

I'm considering make a datapack to bring it in line with the other stone types by changing some drops and recipes:

1) Stone drops itself
2) Smooth stone is made by crafting 2x2 stone, rather than smelting it
3) Stone bricks are made by crafting 2x2 smooth stone
4) Cobblestone and smooth stone are added to the existing stonecutter recipes for stone

I think that's all it'd take. I wish datapacks were documented better because you can actually fix a lot of poo poo about the game with them, but people just don't know what they're capable of and they're world-specific so of course implementing then isn't as simple as it could be.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol the world now goes down to -64, rather than moving sea level up to 127?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Lol the world now goes down to -64, rather than moving sea level up to 127?

Likely because doing it that way will make it easier to convert old worlds with minimum fuss.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Well, for now, I made a new world in the current snapshot with the same seed, just in case these changes end up messing with overworld generation or something.

It's just kinda frustrating that all of this is up in the air at the moment. It doesn't even have anything to do with playing on snapshots. I could be playing in 1.16.5, and I'd still be wondering what's going to become of my world when 1.17 comes out.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What'll probably happen on servers is that people will make like a second hub a hundred thousand or so blocks out and as long as that's generated on the snapshot then that area should be fine with the height limits and such, and it'll only get weird when you get to newly generated chunks in the "old world"

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There is value in having a cheap block while exploring that clearly designates where you have been. Creating a smelting system for processing lots of cookables at a time also loses some of its appeal without stacks upon stacks of cobble to process. Ores don't have the same bulk to fill that role of keeping a wall of furnaces going.
Ideally stone would drop smoothstone when broken for easy reshaping of natural stone formations and standardization of stone types, can be cut into cobble in a crafting grid, and cooked into a more appealing blocks for construction. Maybe have smoothstone craft into slightly more cobblestone blocks when crafted to fulfill the filler block role.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Honestly I think the grimstone should have a cobble variant, or make its current texture into the cobble variant, because it looks a bit too busy compared to smooth stone to be seeing all over the place when digging deep enough.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Has anyone tried out the new DLC for Minecraft Dungeons? Am I understanding that they've now added stuff that makes it even more similar to Diablo?

It looks great, and I might finally pick up this game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the promise of more interesting cave systems has done the impossible and made me want to play some minecraft again after who knows how many years. in fact, i couldn't even wait for that and just downloaded the latest snapshot and started playing (the increased world height was tempting enough, apparently.) this game, as it turns out, is still pretty fun! and i haven't even run into any of the few actual cave additions that are already in yet. i do have have like 10 other major updates' worth of content to catch up on in the meanwhile so it's not so bad, i guess.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Amppelix posted:

the promise of more interesting cave systems has done the impossible and made me want to play some minecraft again after who knows how many years. in fact, i couldn't even wait for that and just downloaded the latest snapshot and started playing (the increased world height was tempting enough, apparently.) this game, as it turns out, is still pretty fun! and i haven't even run into any of the few actual cave additions that are already in yet. i do have have like 10 other major updates' worth of content to catch up on in the meanwhile so it's not so bad, i guess.

Have you gone below 0?
I think right now they only generate below 0 to keep old worlds working.
levels -1 to -64

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that would make sense. i've been steadily going deeper but i didn't want to just do the "mine diagonally downwards until i hit bedrock" strategy so i instead dig until i hit a cave and then start following it to see if it goes roughly downwards, which as it turns out takes a lot of time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well i did it, i found a huge cave

immediately afterwards, i realized that huge caves are not nice places where you want to hang out

E: yeah exploring a huge underground space is really making me wish for some better lighting options right now. i hope they're thinking about those, as well as maybe how mobs should spawn here, with this update. having to litter the entire floor of this huge cave with torches as i explore is just silly and it looks awful too. either some drastically more powerful light source that could light up big parts of an area at once or, finally, some handheld lighting appliances would be fantastic for big cave spelunking.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 3, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Minecraft's extremely touchy per-block lighting/spawning system is a real pain in the rear end and it's long past time they could ever change it. Something like monster nests you could clear out, similar to the poison spider spawners of mineshafts, would have been a big improvement over this. Instead you light up an enormous cavern but one block, surrounded by light, is just slightly too dark so now there's a creeper there.
Pretty cool that there's no normal in-game way to even check for it, either.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I concur. The way mobs can still randomly spawn in an area you've completely built up if you just put one light one block too far from another is total garbage.

That and how it's impossible to increase your number of basic inventory slots are #1 and #2 on my list of things that should've been improved a long time ago.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

uXs posted:

I concur. The way mobs can still randomly spawn in an area you've completely built up if you just put one light one block too far from another is total garbage.

That and how it's impossible to increase your number of basic inventory slots are #1 and #2 on my list of things that should've been improved a long time ago.
The comparison I always see is Terraria. Over time, the number of available blocks and items in Terraria massively ballooned from its original count, and so your inventory would fill up much faster. As a result, they added another row of inventory space and doubled the amount of slots in a chest (plus made each slot hold more items). Minecraft however is still using the same inventory sizes from when these were all the items in the entire game:

You could fit every single item in the game in 3 double chests!

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 3, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i'm not really talking about the enemy spawning when i say the caves are a hassle to explore. like, yes, that's another hassle but a much later one and you aren't necessarily going to ever revisit most caves. i mean more that basic navigation and spotting valuable ore/interesting locations is a lot more trouble than it should be! and if they're going ahead with introducing a whole lot of big, poorly lit areas into the game. they really should consider doing something about this situation

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Enemy mobs spawning under certain light levels was always an absolutely terrible design.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Jamesman posted:

Enemy mobs spawning under certain light levels was always an absolutely terrible design.

It makes playing with RTX odd since the game can often be brighter with path tracing than the internal MC logic says it is so you get spawning because you have no idea that it was "dark" there.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Amppelix posted:

i'm not really talking about the enemy spawning when i say the caves are a hassle to explore. like, yes, that's another hassle but a much later one and you aren't necessarily going to ever revisit most caves. i mean more that basic navigation and spotting valuable ore/interesting locations is a lot more trouble than it should be! and if they're going ahead with introducing a whole lot of big, poorly lit areas into the game. they really should consider doing something about this situation

Presumably that's all part and parcel with the underground biomes they're adding. We only know of like two (Lush and dripstone) which are in various states of still being implemented in the snapshots, plus whatever the deep dark warden area is going to be-- presumably spawning under Y level 0. And none of the snapshots have had any of the archeology stuff in it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

why couldn't they consider a mega glowstone variant that extends like 14 light in a much larger radius before it starts decaying, and maybe make it decay slower? idk how exactly the lighting formula works but shouldn't that be possible to implement?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What's weird is it seems like they heard complaints about there not being enough light sources, then added a bunch of new ones that are weaker and thus impossible to use as spawn deterrent because you have to spam them even more than glowstone/torches/shroomlight and it looks even worse. I think candles that they're adding isn't even full light at four candles? It's a baffling choice.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
To me it's how it combines with the villages that's mind boggling to me. Found a village? Great! Now proceed to wall off the entire thing and put torches everywhere before the first night or the villagers all turn to zombies by the following morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dig holes and push the villagers in, light that up and bury them until you need them/it's safe.

It's dumb as poo poo. Pillagers should've been the response to Villages becoming more safe in the Village & Pillage update instead of just more crap to deal with on top of the already lovely mechanics surrounding village safety.