Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Twibbit posted:

It makes playing with RTX odd since the game can often be brighter with path tracing than the internal MC logic says it is so you get spawning because you have no idea that it was "dark" there.

I specifically turn off smooth lighting for this reason.

I've started to really like the retro look of high res, tons of shaders, realistic movement, etc but whole number lighting levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Don Pigeon posted:

To me it's how it combines with the villages that's mind boggling to me. Found a village? Great! Now proceed to wall off the entire thing and put torches everywhere before the first night or the villagers all turn to zombies by the following morning!
God I can't stand this. Ever spending time near a village without walling it off during the first day guarantees it will become a ghost town. Inescapably, every time. I remember when PiroPito was doing a blind playthrough and couldn't figure out why every single village he found was empty when he came back to it. Terrible design.
The light system is bad, the fact that it's capped at 16 means you can never get stronger lights without doing jury-rigging some awkward solution (generally fake propagating blocks/entities), and then you base the monster spawn system on top of that and it gets even worse. A ton of mods add blocks and mechanics that prevent spawns in a given area regardless of light level and that's something vanilla needs desperately.
Or just a better light engine.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I know I'm bringing Hytale into this thread again but I'm really liking how their underground feels as alive and lived-in as their overground; plus the lighting situation seems to work very well

It constantly feels like minecraft is trying to push outwards but also in such a restricted scared way which I'm guessing is just years of bad engine design and the base mechanics not really allowing for easy vertical movement

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jewel posted:

It constantly feels like minecraft is trying to push outwards but also in such a restricted scared way which I'm guessing is just years of bad engine design and the base mechanics not really allowing for easy vertical movement
Minecraft needs to be completely redone from the ground up -- and not just remade in the same image, like Bedrock was, but with every aspect re-evaluated. There are so many fundamental problems with it, from redundant concepts and pointless systems to terrible balance decisions and unavoidable engine limitations that can never be compensated for.
The thing is, Minecraft is wildly, impossibly successful as it is and there's no reason to gently caress with it. It's a great game despite these serious problems and nothing else quite compares, plus its popularity continues to surge even a decade later. It's built on such shoddy, broken code and concepts that it can only really be "fixed" in Minecraft 2, which will basically never happen.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

Dig holes and push the villagers in, light that up and bury them until you need them/it's safe.

It's dumb as poo poo. Pillagers should've been the response to Villages becoming more safe in the Village & Pillage update instead of just more crap to deal with on top of the already lovely mechanics surrounding village safety.

Maybe it's because I turned off the day/night cycle in my game, but I get patrols every 10-20 minutes and it's loving awful.

Hytale can't come out soon enough.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Presumably that's all part and parcel with the underground biomes they're adding. We only know of like two (Lush and dripstone) which are in various states of still being implemented in the snapshots, plus whatever the deep dark warden area is going to be-- presumably spawning under Y level 0. And none of the snapshots have had any of the archeology stuff in it.
yeah the lush caves at the very least are going to be somewhat well lit and i'm pretty sure the deep biome is also meant to have ambient lighting (or i read something like that in passing) but these generic cave generation additions aren't going anywhere and are going to continue being huge, dark and menacing unless they have something else planned for them.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Maybe it's because I turned off the day/night cycle in my game, but I get patrols every 10-20 minutes and it's loving awful.

Hytale can't come out soon enough.
Is Hytale ever coming out?

Vib Rib posted:

Minecraft needs to be completely redone from the ground up -- and not just remade in the same image, like Bedrock was, but with every aspect re-evaluated. There are so many fundamental problems with it, from redundant concepts and pointless systems to terrible balance decisions and unavoidable engine limitations that can never be compensated for.
Yeah, there's a lot you can criticise about Minecraft and lots of games in its genre do aspects better, but all taken together nothing else really comes close.

Also it needs to be remade by an indie developer because the #1 thing that makes Minecraft better that most of it's peers is that it's wide open from the start and doesn't have dumb unlock mechanics. Big studios will definitely gently caress it up and hide half the game behind microtransactions/grind.

Is there a way to find mob spawners in Minecraft? I'm sure I once read the little 'stings' meant a spawner was nearby but I might have made that up.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Minecraft is in a weird place between change and stagnation. It has been out long enough that kids playing earlier versions are adults with jobs now. Lots of the iconic weird parts have been used in media and merchandise to the point that you can’t even change the graphics. Change the pig and every piece of media with it will be weird for the person living under a rock who doesn’t know about this game.

And yet these snapshots have drastic changes to iconic parts of the game. Finally ores are all getting unique different textures for accessibility. The Nether is almost unrecognizable. Makes me suspect ever since being acquired by microsoft there was a push to keep things fairly stable for merchandising and spin-offs. Sometime recently that attitude shifted and we see these changes.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm happy they're at least making changes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are they adding anything to the "game" side of things in the upcoming update? Some of it seems cool, but also a little hollow. New blocks and stuff seem cool for building, but outside of making caves less boring and something new to fight in them seems like the game will otherwise be exactly the same? The two versions split is also a source of frustration, since it seems mods more or less stick with an old version to work from.

A Minecraft 2 seems like a cool idea if you're dreaming up one as a player, but it seems like a Minecraft 2 would free them of the expectation to keep maintaining the java/mod-friendly branch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm kind of surprised that the 'Bedrock' edition STILL doesn't have the combat that was brought in to Java, what.... 3? 4 years ago?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I'm not sure what the spawning pattern is for random patrols without looking it up, but my experience is that sometimes they seem to just spawn nonstop at certain villages and then other times you can go long stretches without seeing any.

Khanstant posted:

Are they adding anything to the "game" side of things in the upcoming update?
Archeology sounds like a completely new activity to the game, and Skulk Sensors are expanding the redstone side of things.

Amppelix posted:

yeah the lush caves at the very least are going to be somewhat well lit and i'm pretty sure the deep biome is also meant to have ambient lighting (or i read something like that in passing) but these generic cave generation additions aren't going anywhere and are going to continue being huge, dark and menacing unless they have something else planned for them.
Aquifers in the old and new cave patterns seem somewhat interesting, but they've reduced how often they appear. They've been changing how abandoned mineshafts generate with new logs and chains to hold the platforms up, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see more tweaks to caves. On the other hand, I feel like they're going too hard on things not being visible in caves, like preventing geodes and ores spawning next to air blocks. We'll see what decisions they make.

toiletbrush posted:

Is there a way to find mob spawners in Minecraft? I'm sure I once read the little 'stings' meant a spawner was nearby but I might have made that up.

Mob spawners look like little cages and you can find them underground in "dungeons" which are square rooms made out of mostly mossy stone brick and contain two chests with loot in addition to the spawner.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I guess what I mean is there going to be any added progression or bosses and movement options. The bugwings and fireworks thing is funny and minecrafty alright, but still feels like the start of a system or a comedy option within one. Make a Blue Horse I have to kill and it drops a horseshoe that negates fall damage and we'll call that a new boss with exciting new movement opportunities.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I guess what I mean is there going to be any added progression or bosses and movement options. The bugwings and fireworks thing is funny and minecrafty alright, but still feels like the start of a system or a comedy option within one. Make a Blue Horse I have to kill and it drops a horseshoe that negates fall damage and we'll call that a new boss with exciting new movement opportunities.

Satchels are being added as a progression option, a way to keep and organize inventory before access to shulker boxes, and in a way that doesn't overlap when shulker access is acquired. There is a new boss of sorts, the Warden. Though it's not yet clear how or where it will spawn, the damage it's shown to be able to do is definitely on the boss-end of things. As for movement, the warden and skulk sensors both "care" about movement and we might see more options for moving without triggering either of them. Right now walking on wool is one way to prevent it. Powdered snow is also adding changes to movement, both in the way it acts to drag mobs and players down and in the ways that can be avoided.

But that's not really on the level of adding swim speed buffs from dolphins, bubble columns or soul speed, all fairly recent additions that deal with movement options

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Alright, they've added more than I'm giving them credit for but still, what is mr mojang's address I need to mail them a letter about the horseshoe thing, I don't even like dying from falling down.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I believe you can write to Hastune Miku at
11F NIHON SEIMEI SAPPORO BLDG., 1-1 NISHI4 KITA3, CHUO-KU, SAPPORO 060-0003 JAPAN

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I am legitimately loving Minecraft Dungeons. I only have the Flames of the Nether DLC, but the whole thing just keeps me coming back. It's a pretty good marriage between Diablo and Minecraft, I gotta say. They've apparently adjusted a bunch of stuff to further the end game, and now Ancient Hunts are a thing, so if you were at the end before, check it out again.

I really appreciate how enchanting works, where you get points every level and can reuse them with any type of gear, but you still only have a finite amount. You can spend them for good in Ancient Hunts, but in the main game, you always keep them.

I was sort of bummed when I couldn't trade items with anyone else, but then I unlocked the gift wrapper which allows you to send items to someone else in your camp. :toot:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I know "I can't believe Minecraft doesn't have this!" is a thing that you could say about so much stuff to the point it's kinda lost meaning, but I really do wonder why they never had aged/grey wood variants.

Having a greyish-brown wood option would really do wonders for a lot of builds, I think. And I don't mean acacia wood bark.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I know "I can't believe Minecraft doesn't have this!" is a thing that you could say about so much stuff to the point it's kinda lost meaning, but I really do wonder why they never had aged/grey wood variants.

Having a greyish-brown wood option would really do wonders for a lot of builds, I think. And I don't mean acacia wood bark.

Maybe the copper aging effect could be used for wood, like if you put oak planks in water they get washed over time. My current base is all dock-based and I'm annoyed with not having many good options for making it look aged.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel like you could either have an aging/weathering/rotting effect or recipe, or add in new trees like a petrified wood forest or something.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Are there any interesting solo mods that are fun to gently caress around with? I’ve heard good things about like skyfactory or stone-something

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's a thread for modded minecraft, you'd probably be better off asking there. But I really liked Sevtech Ages for a solo modded experience.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Agnes (and other devs)talking about newer updates
I like the powder (snow) spots that kind of act like quicksand like traps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAEw1lJrsL4

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 12, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's no Minecraft Dungeon thread, so I'll just gush about it more here; I just recently got into the daily trials, kind of avoided them until I was done the main story, and wow. I played one today that had some huge looting boost going on, and my projectiles were overcharged. I was blasting everything in my way, and there was a super satisfying "ka-ching" with every kill.

Love this game.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

OgNar posted:

Agnes (and other devs)talking about newer updates
I like the powder (snow) spots that kind of act like quicksand like traps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAEw1lJrsL4
loads of that looks really nice, but loads of those cave biomes look really bright. I hope there's plenty of dark caves too.

the ambient sounds in the nether are really nice, I can't believe they haven't added any to the overworld yet. Would make such a difference to have wind on the plains, the sound of leaves on trees, crickets in the desert etc.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Java edition, on a mac, Catalina. I haven't played for several months, I come in, open up some world, my mouse doesn't work for looking. I can use the mouse to place things or use tools, but I can't look around at all. If I escape to the menu, the mouse works perfectly. Same deal with the built-in trackpad. Anybody seen this?

Edit: God I hate computers. Restarted laptop and it's fixed.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 18, 2021

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

toiletbrush posted:

I'm sure I once read the little 'stings' meant a spawner was nearby but I might have made that up.

I assume you're referring to the occasional ambient noises? They just mean there's an unlit area nearby (I think unlit but open to the sky doesn't count), so it could be a dungeon with a spawner, but is more likely just a cave.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Seems that on the newest beta you can spawn slimes at 128 size now.
According to the Xisuma video.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i dont know how active this is but might as well try:

A friend from an old community sent me a dm with a strange request. Some dudes have been tracking down players from around the 2009 era. They are trying to archive as many old versions of minecraft as they can. Since i played the very first demos before there was an infdev version (hell, even an "indev" version), he asked if he could have my contact info, which my friend obliged. I checked in my folders and my oldest minecraft.jar dates to 2011.

I dunno why but i kinda want to help him out at least by asking here. does anyone have older versions archived in any way? I assume if anyone holds old archaic poo poo its something awful goons, so any help would probably be very welcome by those dudes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Aren't most old versions publicly available? I know I played Indev like, a year ago.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
quote from the dude

quote:

Yeah
That's like a very common misconception, less then half of every Minecraft version ever released are on the launcher and the rd versions are development versions

seems they are going super granular on this stuff. check out this spreadsheet lol

quote:

Actually, I just remembered something quickly could you also tell people to check their %temp% folders for https://www.minecraft.net minecraft.net or Minecraft folders? And link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OCxMNQLeZJi4BlKKwHx2OlzktKiLEwFXnmCrSdAFwYQ/

People can have versions in their temp folders without their knowledge if they still have the same pcs or hard drives

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If these are archived the same way on OSX, I can check there sometime.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If these are archived the same way on OSX, I can check there sometime.

quote:

classic, indev and infdev versions would be stored in /tmp or /var/tmp and alpha versions would be stored in
/Library/Application Support/minecraft/

thank u mate

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, I have a Realm that my wife and I manage. We're planning on doing an Easter egg hunt tomorrow morning (it's my son's birthday, otherwise, we'd just do it on Sunday). I know you can spawn and customize NPCs, not just villagers, and can give them custom commands.

Does anyone know if there's a command to place blocks or items in various, pre-determined locations?

What I'm aiming to do is have an NPC trigger whatever block or item we decide on beforehand to be placed around our current island. Not randomly mind you, I'd be going through tonight to look for good spots and write down the coordinates. Is there a command to, say, place <whatever block> in like... 10-20 specific spots at once?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ok, I have a Realm that my wife and I manage. We're planning on doing an Easter egg hunt tomorrow morning (it's my son's birthday, otherwise, we'd just do it on Sunday). I know you can spawn and customize NPCs, not just villagers, and can give them custom commands.

Does anyone know if there's a command to place blocks or items in various, pre-determined locations?

What I'm aiming to do is have an NPC trigger whatever block or item we decide on beforehand to be placed around our current island. Not randomly mind you, I'd be going through tonight to look for good spots and write down the coordinates. Is there a command to, say, place <whatever block> in like... 10-20 specific spots at once?

Well, if you're just marking coordinates down, you can use this command here to place the blocks at the specified coordinates: https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Commands/setblock

Combined with this you can do it on a timer: https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Commands/schedule

Alternatively, if you place down a specific block you want changed to a new one at those coordinates instead of writing them down, you can do them all at once with this, as long as the areas encompasses all of the area that the target blocks are in:https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Commands/fill

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 2, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Well, if you're just marking coordinates down, you can use this command here to place the blocks at the specified coordinates: https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Commands/setblock

Combined with this you can do it on a timer: https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Commands/schedule

Alternatively, if you place down a specific block you want changed to a new one at those coordinates instead of writing them down, you can do them all at once with this, as long as the areas encompasses all of the area that the target blocks are in:https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Commands/fill

This is exactly what I'd like, thank you! I want the area to be not ready when the kids start playing and then after one of them talks to a specific NPC, the hunt begins!

Now to figure out what item or block to use... I'm not going for actual eggs (spawn or regular) because I want something more special.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This is exactly what I'd like, thank you! I want the area to be not ready when the kids start playing and then after one of them talks to a specific NPC, the hunt begins!

Now to figure out what item or block to use... I'm not going for actual eggs (spawn or regular) because I want something more special.

One thing you could do is use something that's not usually in your area, but otherwise looks like it belongs. Like coarse dirt or infested stone, for instance. I'd probably run the command in the area first making sure to replace any existing copies of the block in the area if you're not certain. Like if you're crazy do something like replace all the andesite with stone with a command, then use andesite to mark the spots. Hyphae and/or it's stripped variety might also work, or maybe warped roots might otherwise blend into grass? As for what to replace it with to hunt? Glazed terracotta as a colorful easter egg-like block is a possibility, as are blocks of emerald, lapis, gold, diamond or ancient debris. (cinnamon buns) Sea lanterns are another possibility, or even sponges, though I feel like maybe kids are less likely to get excited for that block, but both are useful and not usually too plentiful if you're not farming them. Emerald Ore itself is both pretty and rare, though even if you just mine them for emeralds that still can be an exciting thing to do that's not very common. Purpur if they haven't been to the end might be an exciting new thing to find, or shulker boxes.

If you're doing custom NPCs anyway, the blocks themselves could be a turn in token for all sorts of goodie items. Maybe the blocks they find are like target blocks and those can be traded as currency for cool/unique items as prizes.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What a simple way to sidestep some of Minecraft's gameplay issues and make its exploration aspects 100x more rewarding!

I'll try an Easter Egg hunt with my friends group this weekend. We play Terraria, not Minecraft, though. In 2D it might be much harder to make it interesting. Since there aren't spatial obstructions based on your 3D view angle, you can't hide things around a corner, behind a tree, etc.

So instead we'll make the eggs invisible to keep them hidden. I think inactive stone blocks Echo blocks are the way to do that in Terraria; in Minecraft you could just use tripwires Barrier blocks. Collect an invisible block = collect an egg.

We'll begin by allocating large regions of the map to each player. They'll go seed their area with invisible eggs, plus "clues" (disturbed terrain or other disturbances nearby that it might take a sharp eye to notice) so others know roughly where to dig around blindly. Then, one at a time, we can have an Easter egg hunt in each person's domain while they watch and listen to the others describe their struggle. Should be funny.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 3, 2021

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You know, there might even be a better block to use, now that I think about it. I was like "Well, when they add the new light block, you could use that as an invisible item to replace," but there already is an invisible block that you can only add through commands! [url]https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Barrier[url]

The downside is that barrier blocks do have a hitbox, unlike light blocks. But if they're in hiddenish spots in the first place, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After preparing for my son's 4th birthday today, PLUS getting all the IRL Easter stuff ready, my wife and I were dead tired last night. We opted, for the egg hunt, to put certain dyes in item frames. They look like eggs, are multicoloured, and with the item frame, it's like a block. I also put the parental controls on the Switch (that's what my kids use) so the hunt isn't ready until we say so. We played them manually around the island village last night.

However, thanks to your help, my wife now has an NPC that turns on and off the street lamps, via switching out air for a sea lantern in specific spots. It's fantastic, and we thank you for the help!

Man, the whole summon npc thing is quite literally a game changer.