Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

edit: also why the gently caress isn't there a toggle sneak command for PC even though it's available on the switch?

There is absolutely a toggle sneak option on PC. I played with it a couple weeks ago. It's in the options menu IIRC, I think under accessibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Also, there seems to be some sort of undocumented feature(on the wiki) where villagers just being in proximity to a zombie gives a trade discount? A few of the homes on the edge of my village are near my containment and curing station and if I wake them up at night or if they are in the houses during rain they give me really good discounts even though I didn't go through the curing process with them.
iirc the cured villagers will gossip with the others to tell them how cool you are for curing them. sort of like when you do a lot of trading you'll get minor discounts from other vills.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

I AM THE MOON posted:

iirc the cured villagers will gossip with the others to tell them how cool you are for curing them. sort of like when you do a lot of trading you'll get minor discounts from other vills.

Pretty sure these are java interactions. Im pretty sure my villager thing isnt gossip related as it will immediately disappear as soon as the villager leaves the house near the zombie and will come back when they return. This is also occurring many many game days after my last curing. Ill try to watch is specifically tonight to see if I can see any other ways it pops up.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Any bedrock players here have first hand experience with allays? Do they need to be name tagged to prevent despawning if they aren’t holding an item?

It was a pita getting some back through the nether from a distant mansion and i sure as poo poo dont want to lose them after all that work.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I almost (almost) regret making my 4 farmer villagers get zombified and cured 3 times each. I have two 9x9 melon farms and a 24 piston auto pumpkin machine and holy gently caress I am suddenly swimming in emeralds. Like to many emeralds, so many I'm starting to use them as keystone decorative blocks. Kinda feels like I've cheated and broken a key gameplay loop that I shouldn't have.

Almost.

Wait until you discover the trade loop with librarians leveled up to sell glass plus cartographers leveled up to buy glass panes.

Also -- guess who didn't notice that they didn't have their game on normal mode instead of hard and lost their mending villager to an attempted zombie conversion?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

EricFate posted:

Also -- guess who didn't notice that they didn't have their game on normal mode instead of hard and lost their mending villager to an attempted zombie conversion?

The server I play on often "forgets" settings so I've done this too. I've also gotten lost in the nether and died to return home, only to find out the Keep Inventory rule was no longer on.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Any bedrock players here have first hand experience with allays? Do they need to be name tagged to prevent despawning if they aren’t holding an item?

It was a pita getting some back through the nether from a distant mansion and i sure as poo poo dont want to lose them after all that work.

I'd assume you need to name them or have given them an item. That said, I somehow lost two when I had to trek across the world to get them to my base and was never able to find them doing flybys afterwards with an Elytra.

That said, I'm assuming you're on 1.19.10 since you said you could get them through the nether (which I don't think worked at launch) - you can clone them by playing music on a jukebox, and when they're dancing, give them an amethyst shard, then just make sure to keep one leashed to a post with an item in case something happens to the ones you use.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Pretty sure these are java interactions. Im pretty sure my villager thing isnt gossip related as it will immediately disappear as soon as the villager leaves the house near the zombie and will come back when they return. This is also occurring many many game days after my last curing. Ill try to watch is specifically tonight to see if I can see any other ways it pops up.

oh well i have no idea about bedrock poo poo. sorry

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I almost (almost) regret making my 4 farmer villagers get zombified and cured 3 times each. I have two 9x9 melon farms and a 24 piston auto pumpkin machine and holy gently caress I am suddenly swimming in emeralds. Like to many emeralds, so many I'm starting to use them as keystone decorative blocks. Kinda feels like I've cheated and broken a key gameplay loop that I shouldn't have.

Almost.

Also, there seems to be some sort of undocumented feature(on the wiki) where villagers just being in proximity to a zombie gives a trade discount? A few of the homes on the edge of my village are near my containment and curing station and if I wake them up at night or if they are in the houses during rain they give me really good discounts even though I didn't go through the curing process with them.

With most of my farmers I end up trading the emeralds back for golden carrots. Get some masons and spend those emeralds on quartz blocks. Clerics and never have to mine for redstone again. Make multiple sets of backup tools and armor, fully enchanted. Make a wing full of fletchers and get every type of tipped arrow (I don't know if you can get fletchers down to 1 stick for 1 emerald, but you can get even more emeralds that way). And if you still have tons left over, make a wither skeleton farm and cover your server in beacons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Even without crazy discounts, playing the Village mini-game and getting everyone leveled up using trades between them can get you diamond level gear and endless trade fodder in a couple of days. I generally do this while also fixing any weird proc-gen the village may have then using its aesthetic to expand it for more villagers.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The fact that so much progression is gated behind finding a nether fortress, and there's no way to find nether fortresses, continues to be one of the dumbest loving things about this game.

I'm on a server so I can't use /locate or anything like that. Is there anything in the F3 screens that would help?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Jamesman posted:

The fact that so much progression is gated behind finding a nether fortress, and there's no way to find nether fortresses, continues to be one of the dumbest loving things about this game.

I'm on a server so I can't use /locate or anything like that. Is there anything in the F3 screens that would help?

If you know your world seed you could use chunkbase or something similar

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

If you know your world seed you could use chunkbase or something similar

Sadly know. Everything's hidden away because it's a server.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I always forget if it's just end cities or if it works on nether fortresses too where you have to go along a mostly east-west line to have the best chance of catching sight of a structure.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There's speedrunning strats that can help find bastions and fortresses through the F3 screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggVP6BV7aY&t=463s

(Should be linked to the timestamp but 7:44 for bastions and 8:46 for fortresses if it isn't.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's kind of amazing to me that Nether Fortresses block off both Netherwart and Blazes. Especially since Netherwart blocks are a part of Crimson Forests. Apparently it is possible to get Netherwart in a Bastion, either generated or as chest loot, but that's not much better. Blazes block both being able to mix potions (though you get can a brewing stand easily through finding a village with a chapel in the overworld) and opening an end gate and while you can get ender pearls through villager trading and piglin bartering, neither blaze powder nor netherwart is on either list.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Even if you get a brewing stand from a village, you still need blaze powder to use it. It's a huge bottleneck for being able to make any kind of progress and it's so loving lame that they don't have some sort of Eye of Ender or Compass type of thing to locate fortresses with. Like, they really can't implement something to make progression more accessible?

As an aside, I've gone up to 10,000 blocks in every direction on the overworld and have been unable to find any Pillager Outposts, and therefore unable to find any Allays. So that's also fun.

Thanks for that video. I'll try using it tomorrow and see if it works for the server.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also I feel like balance-wise, potions would be more useful in the early-mid game. There's a lot of relatively cheap and mild effects that could be nice to have pre-Nether.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It's the vanilla thread, but I want to join the nether fortress festival. Years back when I was working on Baby's First Space Race, I extended CoFHLib's terrain generation to allow generating dungeon structures. I then added rules to make Nether Dungeons that would have blaze or wither skeleton spawners and chests of typical fortress loot.

The pull request to merge it into the library was rejected due to "my vision." I believe "vision" was literally used in the rejection.

Anyways, nether dungeons. That's what we need.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I legit and am happy to admit that I haven’t ever settled on a world till I’ve checked out the seed both in a creative world and chunkbase. It’s mostly cause I don’t mind the grind to get things and progress but also don’t want to have to spend an age poking around with iron tools to find my first spawners so I can set up an xp farm so I can make use of the megre diamonds I find early on in the world.
Current world is the first where I’ve bothered to set up a network in the nether mostly due to my spawn being surrounded by crimson forests where the hoglins mince no words.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xerol posted:

There's speedrunning strats that can help find bastions and fortresses through the F3 screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggVP6BV7aY&t=463s

(Should be linked to the timestamp but 7:44 for bastions and 8:46 for fortresses if it isn't.)

Update: This worked. Thank you very much for linking it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was also able to find a bastion thanks to that video. Got three ancient debris and a lodestone from chests.

Are there any uses for keeping a bastion intact (any farms, I mean), or is it OK to dismantle it for blocks?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The only one I can think of off-hand is the froglight farm, and for that you really just need to keep the magma cube spawner intact.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't think this bastion generated with a spawner or treasure rooms. :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Regrettable, but feel free to tear it down for blocks!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Anyone have a good link to a more technical description on how mob spawn mechanics work in bedrock? There are lots of videos on mob farms, but no explanations as to why things need to be this way or that way specifically.

What I'm particularly confused on atm is why do you need to build a mob farm way up in the air (I keep hearing Y190) when mobs can only spawn in a range of 22-44 blocks from you and will despawn if they are further away than that?? Also how the gently caress does the 4 chunck simulation distance interact with this? I feel like if I watch two seperate tutorials on the same subject I'll get directly conflicting explanations on how these mechanics work.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Anyone have a good link to a more technical description on how mob spawn mechanics work in bedrock? There are lots of videos on mob farms, but no explanations as to why things need to be this way or that way specifically.

What I'm particularly confused on atm is why do you need to build a mob farm way up in the air (I keep hearing Y190) when mobs can only spawn in a range of 22-44 blocks from you and will despawn if they are further away than that?? Also how the gently caress does the 4 chunck simulation distance interact with this? I feel like if I watch two seperate tutorials on the same subject I'll get directly conflicting explanations on how these mechanics work.

This video goes into it, and appears to mostly match with the description given in the Minecraft wiki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Lv0AntJF8

Gist of it seems to be that the despawn radius is dependent on the simulation distance, maxing out at around 118 blocks. Since sea level is Y=64, that would explain the Y=190 value you keep seeing.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Got the basic outline of the ranch build done.

Plan is to connect that path up the hill to the bridge by going around the foreground hill.

Still a lot of decorating and detail to do but the broad strokes are done and it took me probably 20 hours to do all of it (a lot of which was afking to let wheat grow so I could make the mud bricks).

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Just Andi Now posted:

This video goes into it, and appears to mostly match with the description given in the Minecraft wiki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Lv0AntJF8

Gist of it seems to be that the despawn radius is dependent on the simulation distance, maxing out at around 118 blocks. Since sea level is Y=64, that would explain the Y=190 value you keep seeing.

This was helpful thanks! What sim distance do most people play on? 4 chunks does feel slightly restrictive at home base since it was laid out poorly before I understood any of this, but beyond that i don’t really see any advantage over higher sim distance when it just creates poo poo at ranges you probably dont want to deal with.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Playing again on Xbox and starting to do some redstone stuff.

Is there a block that generates a redstone signal based on the day night cycle?

I'd like to maka a digital clock, I was under the impression that the clock item in an item frame would give a signal based on the time of day but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

BigHandsVince posted:

Is there a block that generates a redstone signal based on the day night cycle? .

Yep, daylight detector. Made with nether quartz.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuevo posted:

There’s a cool tech I saw I think Wattles show off where you throw a nether pearl into a stream of bubbles that ends at a gate tied to a daylight detector. So you go off mapping/exploring/caving then get teleported back automatically back to your base at the end of the day when the trap door triggers and the pearl hits it.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Nuevo posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s a cool tech I saw I think Wattles show off where you throw a nether pearl into a stream of bubbles that ends at a gate tied to a daylight detector. So you go off mapping/exploring/caving then get teleported back automatically back to your base at the end of the day when the trap door triggers and the pearl hits it.

Thanks! There's loads more stuff/mechanics available since the last time I played, loving the telescope.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
TinfoilChef from the Hermitcraft server passed away yesterday. :(

He was an older member on the server, both in age and in how long he'd actually been a part of Hermitcraft. He wasn't a very active player in recent seasons, with his main thing being to do branch mining and check out what other players were building. He had various health issues that I don't really know the details of, but I know he had part of a leg amputated a couple years ago and other Hermits were raising funds for him.

Speaking of, this Reddit thread contains a post from Welsknight in the replies with information on donating to the family. I don't think I'm allowed to directly post that info in here, but it should be easy enough to find from this link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermitCraft/comments/wnin7r/tinfoilchef_has_passed_away/

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Jamesman posted:

TinfoilChef from the Hermitcraft server passed away yesterday. :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermitCraft/comments/wnin7r/tinfoilchef_has_passed_away/

That's too bad. I always got a kick out the fact that he was just this persistent part of their world who would just tirelessly go about doing his own thing in the background without any real awareness of whatever plot was unfolding around him.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Yeah I liked TFC's content, he's been having a hard time these last few years, with him losing his leg, having various illnesses and to top it off Minecraft was making him feel nauseous this past year, I was hoping for him to come back and do his thing once again.

Rest in peace Tinfoilchef!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I have realized over the last few days I want wallpaper, or veneer. I want an object the same thickness as carpet but can go vertically on walls and hide things behind it. There are so, so many times I want to hide hoppers and redstone contraptions and covering them will a full brick just looks like balls. I really really want various stone and wood veneers that can cover walls but are very thin. I would use the utter poo poo out of that.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

BitBasher posted:

I have realized over the last few days I want wallpaper, or veneer. I want an object the same thickness as carpet but can go vertically on walls and hide things behind it. There are so, so many times I want to hide hoppers and redstone contraptions and covering them will a full brick just looks like balls. I really really want various stone and wood veneers that can cover walls but are very thin. I would use the utter poo poo out of that.

Agreed. Trapdoors work in a pinch, as do banners to a certain extent. But if you really want to go crazy, then the only real option you have is item frames and maps where you have 'painted' the terrain to have the pattern and texture you want.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Similarly to the above, I want vertical half slabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I feel like a lot of problems could be solved if Minecraft was built on an engine that could detach block shape from texture. Stairs from anything, pillars from anything, slabs from anything, etc. Like that Carpenter's Blocks mod. But even better would be letting you 'paint' per face, so a one-block-thick wall could look differently inside and out.