Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Forget Snowmen, Jeb is talking about new Nether stuff. And we might get it in tomorrow's patch/"leak".

quote:

@jeb_: Phew, on my way home again. Finished most of the nether stuff, which includes two new hostile mobs (one is the retexturing attempt)

quote:

@jeb_: Heh no, no screenshots since you'll be able to see them yourself tomorrow (knock on wood)

quote:

@jeb_: Oh, and when I said "retexture attempt" I mean the failed attempt. I was forced to also change the model, but it was worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Am I the only one who thought that the nether bridges look like broken down highways? It'd be kind of cool if the nether gradually became this post-apocalyptic wasteland type of place (it'd explain the zombies).

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
"Nether stuff" sounds intriguing. I have had no reason to visit the Nether for months, and even then it was a folly.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Al! posted:

That's the thing, right? Notch whipped up the basics of Minecraft as some goofy little toy with like four block types in like a week. Yet we haven't even seen so much as a prototype from anybody who claims to know better, even though they have the benefit of not having to invent the idea from scratch as notch did and also planning the project out for expansion from the beginning. It's actually a little baffling, to be honest, because I feel like you could make some real fuckin money if you set out and made a better one.

Minecraft clones have been started before, but the viciously devoted Minecraft fanbase is so hateful and crazy that the projects were driven out of existence or at least into obscurity.

Let's just hope the source code release leads to unofficial forks.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I build a tower out of Stone Bricks and Netherrack because I didn't think we'd be getting Netherrack Bricks for a while. :(

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Is there a trick to getting minecraft to run with the java7 jre? All I get is Null pointer exceptions thrown the moment I launch the launcher.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Like chain worlds?
Hate waiting for emails?

Then come help me help fellow goon and "brilliant" Minecraft modder Hogofwar test his new Bukkit plugin.

just connect to newfinland.dyndns.org:25580 and type /optin to join the queue for automated chainworld goodness. And if you have to wait there's a fantastic creative world you can build some crap in.

forgot to mention its on 1.7 for now, not that anyone who that excludes really deserves to play anyway.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 21, 2011

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Also: Can we make use of the word "entitlement" bannable, or at least a probatable offense? Using the word "entitlement" labels you as a 12 year old boy incapable of independent or original thought. :smithicide:

Banning everyone with an opposing viewpoint is a great way to encourage discussion also with implications about mental capacities of people using a valid word to describe someones reaction to something they honestly have no investment into.

I don't want to hamper on this, but what the fuuuuck. There are ways to express criticism about Notch's project without sounding like the best programmer in the world who could do anything, but lacks the motivation to do poo poo, because they didn't get to speak to Chris Avellone at the last convention.

What is it about Minecraft that turns people into babies?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

change my name posted:

Am I the only one who thought that the nether bridges look like broken down highways? It'd be kind of cool if the nether gradually became this post-apocalyptic wasteland type of place (it'd explain the zombies).

Yeah this would be awesome. Like perhaps the normal Minecraft world is where you and/or your multiplayer friends end up in as an alternate world to escape the post apocalyptic wasteland, or after you went back in time to the very beginning of the worlds. And the portals are your door to the other dimension/the future.

Obviously it's just some kind of silly hell dimension, but that would be a neat idea to build on.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Notch is an idiot savant of game design.

As far as I understand it, he was one guy with no professional game making experience who made a tiny little indie game that exploded into this huge multi-million selling, genre-defining thing. If it's his first big project of this sort, of course his code is going to suck. Maybe it sucks more than people expected it to? Or he isn't learning as quickly as some think he should? The bug tracker thing is retarded though, if actually true.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

People yelling at Notch for programming something during a break of bug fixing might as well yell at him for taking 8 hours of his day for sleeping. The snowmen add something to the game, sleep does not. :argh:

EDIT: Also, with those nether updates, if it's in 1.8.2 or something I might just upgrade the server, keep the regular world, and throw away the nether map. I don't think too many users have been there yet on our server, and I don't think they built anything.

Aug 28, 2011

by T. Finn

IUG posted:

People yelling at Notch for programming something during a break of bug fixing might as well yell at him for taking 8 hours of his day for breakfast, brunch, 2nd brunch, lunch, 2nd lunch, linner, dinner, 2nd dinner, bedtime snack, nighttime snack, and pre-breakfast. The snowmen add something to the game, sleep does not. :argh:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

42069 posted:

:downswords:

When did Notch become Gabe Newell exactly? Is "Notch takes too many breaks to eat" a new complaint or have I just never seen it before? :psyduck:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

When did Notch become Gabe Newell exactly? Is "Notch takes too many breaks to eat" a new complaint or have I just never seen it before? :psyduck:

yeah, I was under the impression the official notch joke was too many vacations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

:siren:Everyone who has the XP orb lag bug:siren:

UPDATE YOUR SERVER.

This bug was fixed several days ago. Getting kind of annoying seeing people bitch about a bug that is fixed.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

Is there a trick to getting minecraft to run with the java7 jre? All I get is Null pointer exceptions thrown the moment I launch the launcher.

I had some trouble getting it running with Java 7 + the memory tweak as outlined in the OP, but after some digging, success!

1. Create a .cmd file containing

quote:

start /high javaw -Xms2048M -Xmx2048M -Djava.library.path=bin/natives -cp bin/minecraft.jar;bin/jinput.jar;bin/lwjgl.jar;bin/lwjgl_util.jar net.minecraft.client.Minecraft

and drop it in your .minecraft folder. Launch minecraft through this file.

2. There is no step 2 that's it. Tweak the -Xm args to use memory as appropriate.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Notch is an idiot savant of game design.
As far as I understand it, he was one guy with no professional game making experience who made a tiny little indie game that exploded into this huge multi-million selling, genre-defining thing. If it's his first big project of this sort, of course his code is going to suck. Maybe it sucks more than people expected it to? Or he isn't learning as quickly as some think he should? The bug tracker thing is retarded though, if actually true.

Okay, I know this has probably been said plenty of times and the last thing this thread needs is a deviation into Notch-profiling, but here goes:

Notch isn't a bad programmer or an idiot savant of game design or anything like that. He's a pretty good programmer who dedicated a lot of time to making a great game because he was confident and persistent. The game is well-designed because a lot of time was spent making it, testing it, making it a little better, testing it, ad nauseam. That's how good games get made, and that's exactly the process that makes them good.

The game has bugs because it exists and grows. The only games that don't have bugs are those that have stopped growing and have been rigorously tested for months/years. Notch is not a bad programmer, and the game does not have bugs because Notch is a bad programmer.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 21, 2011

Aug 28, 2011

by T. Finn

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I didn't think this really needed explaining, but:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
But Notch is just regular fat. Gabe Newell is like melty fat

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey does anyone know what happened to the texture pack DokuCraft? Last I heard the guy who was making it decided to stop updating it after 1.7.3. Has anyone taken it up since?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Montalvo posted:

Hey does anyone know what happened to the texture pack DokuCraft? Last I heard the guy who was making it decided to stop updating it after 1.7.3. Has anyone taken it up since?

Yeah these guys: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/513093-18-dokucraft-the-saga-continues-32x/

The Doku guy said he might get back to it himself with 1.8 but so far hasn't from what I can tell

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
We one step closer to tower defense ya'll. Game on.. in 2012

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Minecraft desperately either needs a modding API or the source code released because the modding community is the only place I can get my Minecraft 'fix' anymore.
Mods have been doing things people are wishing for in the base game for a long time now. Airships, new mobs(horses/fish/bears/etc), real ACTUAL NPC villages (in 3 cultures to boot) with villagers and economies that grow and change with time, complex machinery and factories, real redstone improvements (that also add a poo poo-ton of aesthetic parts), fantasy alchemical things that push the 'game' itself out further, complex dungeons with redstone traps and musical puzzles..you can just keep rattling on.

To me the modding community (and as horribly terrible as it is) is where the real innovation is coming from now and the only place that puts to use things Notch has neglected. Still waiting for a reason for the Nether? Still want lamps? Still want windmills and water wheels? Still desire a rideable horse? Furniture? Guns? Turrets? The modding community has already done it and refined it down so well that I really doubt Notch's ability to deliver the same content without it being a sad attempt. Just look at Notch's NPC villages compared to Millénaire. Sure, Notch can all surprise us and his NPCs might be awesome, but there is a history of features that never get (or take a long rear end time) put into the game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

whalestory posted:

We one step closer to tower defense ya'll. Game on.. in 2012

I would probably actually play the hell out of a minecraft TD game. Or a WC3 style RTS where you directly control a hero on the map.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
I hope he actually makes a turret item now, or else people will pretrty much instantly mod the snowman into one

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Anyone fancy a challenge?

Ocean View.
World Seed: 7491442823088950424

This is an ocean world with very few resources - there isn't even a tree at your spawn point to get you started.

There are no large landmasses, so no sheep, pigs or even chickens. Want to avoid starvation? Better find some spiders and make a fishing rod.

What's that? You need a bed to reset your spawn point? Better find more spiders!

Enjoy!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eiba posted:

And so in the dark icy land of Sweden, an obscure indie programmer took up the challenge to make his own version of Dwarf Fortress... but he ended up getting distracted and made Minecraft instead.

I'm sure there's a lesson there somewhere.

That Notch was doing intensive research for Dwarf Fort 2.0 and ended up going with a method acting style to the point that he was struck with a fey mood?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Sweetling posted:

I had some trouble getting it running with Java 7 + the memory tweak as outlined in the OP, but after some digging, success!

1. Create a .cmd file containing

and drop it in your .minecraft folder. Launch minecraft through this file.

2. There is no step 2 that's it. Tweak the -Xm args to use memory as appropriate.

Can anyone confirm this works? I just had some weird error where blocks that I mined had missing sides, allowing me to see under the world, and then the game crashed due to running out of memory.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

DR AIDS posted:

Minecraft has officially blown my mind. I was swimming along and I see this:

I swam down there and realized I was in an... underwater waterfall? Somehow all the water doesn't go down there and flood the whole place. Weird poo poo.

I've come across lots of poo poo where there was a wall of water not flowing into a cavern, and it was my escape from a long night of dungeoneering. I like it.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Senator Woofington posted:

I am really liking the map on my server!

Which program and settings are people using to pop such a map out? Everyone seems to use the same layout of a map like that.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

How dare he add something cute and fun during a brief break from bugfixing.

1.9.1:
* Corrected Snow Golem pathing around cliffs
* Fixed a crash when Snow Golems fall in lava
* Fixed a crash when Snow Golems walk over tracks
* Fixed Snow Golems spawning too low in the ground when using beds in SMP
* Punching Snow Golems while running no longer puts them in an unmovable state
* Endermen can no longer steal a Snow Golem's body!
* Corrected snowball duplication bug
* Fixed SMP bug where Snow Golems could generate unbreakable snow
* Fixed lag spike during snow storms
- Nerfed snowball damage
- Removed Herobrine

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

SeXReX posted:

Like chain worlds?
Hate waiting for emails?

Then come help me help fellow goon and "brilliant" Minecraft modder Hogofwar test his new Bukkit plugin.

just connect to newfinland.dyndns.org:25580 and type /optin to join the queue for automated chainworld goodness. And if you have to wait there's a fantastic creative world you can build some crap in.

forgot to mention its on 1.7 for now, not that anyone who that excludes really deserves to play anyway.

:golfclap: Well done, I haven't been able to play since I updated to 1.8, but I'm sure it's a lot easier than my way of doing things. Is it creative mode or survival?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

glug posted:

Which program and settings are people using to pop such a map out? Everyone seems to use the same layout of a map like that.

I prefer Cartograph G: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/153066-cartograph-g-map-your-beta-18/

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I found more ways to be terrible to chickens! :haw:

It needs to be larger to really produce, but I had limited space.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Good job, you've invented the factory farm. Way to go. Jerk. :mad:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Drox posted:

Good job, you've invented the factory farm. Way to go. Jerk. :mad:

No way I'm eating your loving eggs.
You've single-handedly killed the SSP Farmer.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

octoroon posted:

Okay, I know this has probably been said plenty of times and the last thing this thread needs is a deviation into Notch-profiling, but here goes:

Notch isn't a bad programmer or an idiot savant of game design or anything like that. He's a pretty good programmer who dedicated a lot of time to making a great game because he was confident and persistent. The game is well-designed because a lot of time was spent making it, testing it, making it a little better, testing it, ad nauseam. That's how good games get made, and that's exactly the process that makes them good.

The game has bugs because it exists and grows. The only games that don't have bugs are those that have stopped growing and have been rigorously tested for months/years. Notch is not a bad programmer, and the game does not have bugs because Notch is a bad programmer.
[/quote]

There's been many people who are actual programmers saying his code is whack, and you don't have to be a pro to realize at this point that the method he has gone about addressing issues is god awful. How many things did he say were not doable that were done by the community??

I mean, I love the hell out of this game and it is cool that it's a small guy and not EA that is getting my cash, but it is drat frustrating being a fan of minecraft at times.

e: :frogsiren: PETA! :frogsiren:

How do they not die from the close quarters?? I thought fences are the only thing that prevents that

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That's brilliant and I'm ripping it off immediately.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Jin Wicked posted:

I found more ways to be terrible to chickens! :haw:
-chicken farm-

It needs to be larger to really produce, but I had limited space.

Does crushing a chicken with a piston still make it drop meat/feathers? This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I had a chicken stuck on a single block of stone in the middle of a lava pond for the longest time. It seems Chickens can't really move too far.