Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Has anyone else had this problem before? My friend was working on our SMP server and we wanted to make a togglable lava fall as a defense mechanism for our castle gate.

He put a piston that blocked a lava source block on top of the castle wall. When he opened the piston it made the lava fall successfully but then when he turned it off the flow went down a few blocks but then stopped and wouldn't go away. He waited a few minutes to see if it would move but he ended up having to manually destroy all the lava via dirt blocks.

I'm not sure if he used 2 pistons and 2 lava source blocks or just 1 though.

edit: Oops, now he says it does seem to be going away, just verrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. I guess it's not something to turn on lightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jin Wicked posted:

I found more ways to be terrible to chickens! :haw:

This is disturbing and just the best thing.

Can't wait to combine it with some buildcraft pipes to collect the eggs, dispensers to shoot the eggs and make the next generation, and the drowning setup on the last page for even more automated horror.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Squibbles posted:

Has anyone else had this problem before? My friend was working on our SMP server and we wanted to make a togglable lava fall as a defense mechanism for our castle gate.

He put a piston that blocked a lava source block on top of the castle wall. When he opened the piston it made the lava fall successfully but then when he turned it off the flow went down a few blocks but then stopped and wouldn't go away. He waited a few minutes to see if it would move but he ended up having to manually destroy all the lava via dirt blocks.

edit: Oops, now he says it does seem to be going away, just verrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. I guess it's not something to turn on lightly.

Lava has always been slow to go away. You can experience this by making a lavafall and removing the source block.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

octoroon posted:

Notch isn't a bad programmer or an idiot savant of game design or anything like that. He's a pretty good programmer who dedicated a lot of time to making a great game because he was confident and persistent. The game is well-designed because a lot of time was spent making it, testing it, making it a little better, testing it, ad nauseam. That's how good games get made, and that's exactly the process that makes them good.

The game has bugs because it exists and grows. The only games that don't have bugs are those that have stopped growing and have been rigorously tested for months/years. Notch is not a bad programmer, and the game does not have bugs because Notch is a bad programmer.

The game is poorly designed on a technical level. For example, several subsystems are dependent on each other and slow down if any one of them lags, and SMP is very inefficient. A lot of people will point out that the game is successful regardless and that technical issues must not be holding it back, but I'd note that Minecraft would be even more successful if it ran on netbooks and if server hardware requirements weren't so steep.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Seriously, I can't look at those egg grinder images without cackling with glee. This loving game, man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Save the chickens! Rescue the poultry! Petition to Notch! Farms are inhumane and ruin the Minecrafting experience! :qq: :qq: :qq:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Squibbles posted:

probably not applicable in your case, but I did it this way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZviMl_Zt34

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
My underground pyramid that I started in April:

Still not finished though.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Droopy Goines posted:

This is glorious. I love looking at Minecraft stuff on a huge scale. How many people have you had working on it, or is it a solo project?

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Cygni posted:

This is disturbing and just the best thing.

Can't wait to combine it with some buildcraft pipes to collect the eggs, dispensers to shoot the eggs and make the next generation, and the drowning setup on the last page for even more automated horror.

Fire or a lava blade needs to be involved instead of drowning to produce pre-cooked chicken. Ready to eat!

Is there a vanilla way to automatically load a dispenser or hatch eggs without throwing them?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Okay, I just destroyed about 50 random blocks in a cavern trying to track down a knocking noise that I heard.

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? It sounds just like someone mining, which is creepy the gently caress enough, since I'm on an MP server but it was empty, but still, the hell?

I thought I had stumbled upon a silverfish, but the wiki doesn't say they make any noises other than spiders.

really creeped me the hell out.

Amaritudo
Jul 5, 2003

The Bitter Timelord

Loving Life Partner posted:

Okay, I just destroyed about 50 random blocks in a cavern trying to track down a knocking noise that I heard.

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? It sounds just like someone mining, which is creepy the gently caress enough, since I'm on an MP server but it was empty, but still, the hell?

I thought I had stumbled upon a silverfish, but the wiki doesn't say they make any noises other than spiders.

really creeped me the hell out.
Holy poo poo I had the same experience earlier today. I could have sworn there was someone else around but I was completely alone. :tinfoil:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was probably cave ambiance.

...Probably. :tinfoil:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Could have been a squid party at the bottom of a lake somewhere above you.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Could have been a squid party at the bottom of a lake somewhere above you.

Ahh, that kinda tracks, one block I broke did unleash some water, but I didn't investigate.

Do they make knocking sounds?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Droopy Goines posted:

You don't know how disappointed I am that this wasn't your way of topping the previous chicken farm but showing us your insanely huge chicken farm pyramid

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

The Sweetling posted:

I had some trouble getting it running with Java 7 + the memory tweak as outlined in the OP, but after some digging, success!

1. Create a .cmd file containing

and drop it in your .minecraft folder. Launch minecraft through this file.

2. There is no step 2 that's it. Tweak the -Xm args to use memory as appropriate.

I tried this, but i bypasses login and I can't join multiplayer servers. Is there a way around it?

The reason I tried it is that when I'm playing on our multiplayer server I start lagging, blocks reappear after destroying them, then after a few seconds the entire game locks up. My internet is fine, so I thought it was a memory issue.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

THE MACHO MAN posted:

How many things did he say were not doable that were done by the community??

Not much? The only thing I can think of is stuff to do with lighting, but that was just "it won't work unless I rewrite the lighting system" and then he rewrote the lighting system so

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Am I retarded and illiterate or is it ever explained how you guys are getting chickens IN your chicken farms? Are animals persistent now or something? Reproduce? Some method of getting them to spawn in your chicken farm?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sometimes when you throw an egg a chicken pops out.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
^^^^ gently caress. :argh:

Baronjutter posted:

Am I retarded and illiterate or is it ever explained how you guys are getting chickens IN your chicken farms? Are animals persistent now or something? Reproduce? Some method of getting them to spawn in your chicken farm?

Throwing an egg has a 1/8 chance to spawn a chicken and an even smaller chance to spawn multiple chickens.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
And yes, animals are persistent now. Enjoy your wool while you can!

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
There's a neat post on reddit where a guy mapped out 99 seeds and put their pictures and seeds up. Good for browsing new seeds, but it gets repetitive really fast (at least from the map perspective).

http://similardilemma.imgur.com/ninetynine_minecraft_seeds

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Macaluso posted:

And yes, animals are persistent now. Enjoy your wool while you can!

Or just make some shears.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ALFbrot posted:

Or just make some shears.

Their wool doesn't regrow yet, so it's still limited even if you shear them.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
There is the super inefficient method of dying white blocks made from web string.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

President Ark posted:

Wow. I knew their mortality was persistent, not their shearing.

Great news! We added a Load feature! Save feature coming eventually.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

President Ark posted:

Thats why you murder them after shearing.

Also on one of the SMP servers I play on, I murdered all the sheared sheep near my base, the next day there was one lone sheep to be sheared, along with some new cows. Either they traveled there from god knows where, or they actually spawn rarely.

I'm assuming the latter, just because it makes sense for them to spawn rarely since they're persistent to prevent too many sheep.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The persistence isn't going to change, it's your motivation to get off your rear end and go exploring which Notch has always said was lacking in the game.

You really only need wool for a bed, and after that its decoration. If you want your prettypretty house, you'll need to make a boat, sheers, and a compass and get busy.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Cygni posted:

The persistence isn't going to change, it's your motivation to get off your rear end and go exploring which Notch has always said was lacking in the game.

I don't think animal persistence is meant for that, because breeding is coming. It's probably just a test for NPC persistence.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well yeah, but we don't know how that's even going to work yet. You might need tons of starter animals, maybe just 1. As it stands now, it's motivation to explore.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cygni posted:

Well yeah, but we don't know how that's even going to work yet. You might need tons of starter animals, maybe just 1. As it stands now, it's motivation to explore.

Pretty sure you're going to need more than just 1 animal for breeding

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The problem is that exploring is boring. Forcing people to explore the same random terrain to find wool isn't exciting. Once you've seen the few biome types you've really seen it all. By making things so extremely random, you end up making everything look pretty much the same.

We need unique and rewarding sites and terrain. Huge ruined temples full of valuable loot and unique monsters. A variety of dungeon types. Biome specific resources and animals/monsters. Unique tools you can't craft, but rather you loot from dungeons and ruins or collect from boss monsters. Perhaps even some sort of "ancient knowledge" system where your character actually has to collect plans for more advanced items, or find one before you can reproduce it.

Most games accomplish this by having everything you need to survive generally easy to get anywhere, but the more complex and powerful things you want, the more you'll have to explore and fight, giving an important sense of progression. Terraria did this quite well, and is something notch has stated he'd like to emulate.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think the problem is that Minecraft has a wide enough appeal that the fans want vastly different things. I don't give a poo poo about animals, but love it whenever he adds random poo poo, like wolves or pistons or snowmen.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
It's really rather strange that the most sustainable source of wool in the game is now spiders.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

redmercer posted:

It's really rather strange that the most sustainable source of wool in the game is now spiders.

This has always boggled me. You make string from wool, not the other way around!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And paper is made out of sugar! Would love to see paper actually made out of wood, or some sort of reeds. He had such a great chance to add another plant and more diversity but nope, reeds is sugar now!

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Crashes just after login, any ideas?

quote:

Minecraft has crashed!
----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to support@mojang.com.
Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT a1dce528 --------
Generated 21/09/11 23:20

Minecraft: Minecraft Beta 1.8.1
Java: 1.6.0_27, Sun Microsystems Inc.
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
LWJGL: 2.4.2
OpenGL: GeForce 8800 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! version 3.3.0, NVIDIA Corporation

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Function is not supported
at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkFunctionAddress(BufferChecks.java:64)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glMatrixMode(GL11.java:2054)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.x(SourceFile:337)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:250)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:629)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT a2c0ec8f ----------

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Travic posted:

x:278
y:70
z:387

Those coordinates will put you inside that mountain so allow a little wiggle room.

This is a god drat breath taking area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork-Ringtail
Feb 28, 2007

The Sparky Madgirl
I think the snowmen look dumb and out of place. Maybe if they were just there for decoration, and didn't do something silly I'd like them more. I mean at the very least they give snow blocks a crafting purpose. But as a base/ village defense that throws snow balls at monsters, that seems just really silly, like something my nephew would say.

How about improving the behavior of wolves so they're not useless for village defense? That's another example of something being rush added to the game because it was a neat idea, then totally forgotten about later.