Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Despite everything, my only real complaint about 1.8 is it dropped me from 60-70 fps down to about 14. And that it gets worse as you play the game, despite updating Java. Honestly, I'd just love to play the game at this point, and once that gets fixed, I'll be really happy.

The only thing that makes me a bit sad about 1.9 is that the new terrain generation makes creating a world I want to keep playing sort of useless in 1.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Traveller In Time posted:

The pistons at the top hold back water source blocks that flood the chamber after the switch is pulled, then I can go round back and fire in more eggs to load it up.

The worst part is the chilling silence after they all die. :(

Oh my god, are you related to some mad scientist that worked for the Nazis?

Jin Wicked posted:

I found more ways to be terrible to chickens! :haw:

It needs to be larger to really produce, but I had limited space.

Oh man, this guy is even worse. Battery hens!

Minecraft breeds new ways of being evil to the poor chickens. :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Odette posted:

Minecraft breeds new ways of being evil to the poor chickens. :(
I have a single pet chicken just chilling out in my mine, running around in my underground farm. I'll just be running around getting coal or whatever and sometimes I find presents! Egg presents! :3:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Jin Wicked posted:

This is the first time a minecraft factory has really struck me as impressive. Way to go.

Jerk.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Tried Sphax on a friends 1.8.1 server and it didn't work. Is it not for 1.8.1? The website just says 1.8

pech
Jul 19, 2004

I've been exploring and constantly coming across amazing formations like this:

I will name this komodo hill. i will not create a body for it. no.. no....n...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Loving Life Partner posted:

Tried Sphax on a friends 1.8.1 server and it didn't work. Is it not for 1.8.1? The website just says 1.8

Working fine for me. Did you use the patcher?

Orv
May 4, 2011
For kicks I decided to try loading the x512 Sphax texture pack. OOM error the moment it loaded. :allears: Back to my lowly x256.

I demand people come up with a fully automated Chicken Purger that cycles out chickens every half hour. I don't care if the repeater cycle has to be a mile long, do it!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Working fine for me. Did you use the patcher?

Yeah, got a "user not premium" error, so I just reinstalled fresh and it worked.

I Am Sogard
Jun 15, 2005
Love from #evo

President Ark posted:

Their wool doesn't regrow yet, so it's still limited even if you shear them.

Saw this a while back but no one really continued the discussion...

Been playing 1.8 for a bit now, I've had the same 2-3 sheep near my settlement and have sheered each multiple times...

Am I going nuts and have hidden sheep? I could have swore they're the same ones. Can anyone else confirm that wool does indeed regrow? It is for me, as far as I know.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Odette posted:

Oh my god, are you related to some mad scientist that worked for the Nazis?
Minecraft more like Mengelecraft. :rimshot: Though I'm not sure I'd agree that the battery chickens are worse than chickens being drowned alive.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

DoctorJones posted:

The reason I tried it is that when I'm playing on our multiplayer server I start lagging, blocks reappear after destroying them, then after a few seconds the entire game locks up. My internet is fine, so I thought it was a memory issue.

Has this happened to anyone or know of a fix. I recently installed 64-bit java. I tried the memory tweak. Tried deleting .minecraft folder and reinstalling. I don't know if it's me or the server. A friend of mine is experiencing the same problems.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MMAgCh posted:

Minecraft more like Mengelecraft. :rimshot: Though I'm not sure I'd agree that the battery chickens are worse than chickens being drowned alive.

Well at least the drowning chickens get to feel the sweet relief of death. The other chickens are forever being tortured!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there a way of building up a world in Creative mode and then switching back to Survival? I'd love to build some clifftop towers in the -911059665853344167 seed without having to worry about resources, then switch to Survival and go adventuring :black101:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
You could probably make a piston system that would waterboard them

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Jin Wicked posted:

It needs to be larger to really produce, but I had limited space.

One of my friends decided he wanted to farm eggs on our SMP server. He came up with this:

It produces a good amount of eggs, but as he put it when he introduced us to it, oh god, the clucking.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

We've built connections between the areas using rail, and even connected to an NPC village in the west.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 22, 2011

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I just started playing this a few days ago and I've probably already sunk in over 30 hours. Holy crap this game is fun.

Is there any way I can run this fullscreen in vista?

How can I farm animals? Is there any way for me to pick them up and put them in a fenced-in area? Or do I have to try and awkwardly corral them by pushing them around?

Is it just me or do Endermans only pick up blocks that are 2 high?

B <-- this one
B
GGGGGG <-- ground

Also creepers are terrifying and loving awesome. They're almost as good as the headless from serious sam, my favorite game enemy of all time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpY-cfTqzsI&feature=related

HarkToTheLoons posted:

There are a bunch in the second post. I doubt 1.8 breaks them, and the only one I've played so far is Valley de la Seda, which I can give a glowing recommendation.

The link in this threads second post (and the link in the origianl post) are dead :( Anyone know where I can find it or has it been abandoned?

Baronjutter posted:

And paper is made out of sugar! Would love to see paper actually made out of wood, or some sort of reeds. He had such a great chance to add another plant and more diversity but nope, reeds is sugar now!

Paper should be made out of those grey birch(?) trees.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Is there a way of building up a world in Creative mode and then switching back to Survival? I'd love to build some clifftop towers in the -911059665853344167 seed without having to worry about resources, then switch to Survival and go adventuring :black101:

NBTEdit would be your friend.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/6661-nbtedit/

To expand on that you need to load the level.dat file and change the Gamemode to 1, then save and vice versa to play on Survival once again.

1=Creative
0=Survival

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 22, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

AnimalChin posted:

I just started playing this a few days ago and I've probably already sunk in over 30 hours. Holy crap this game is fun.

How can I farm animals? Is there any way for me to pick them up and put them in a fenced-in area? Or do I have to try and awkwardly corral them by pushing them around?

Yes, hit F11. No, they really are that annoying. Also, only chickens can be reproduced by throwing the eggs that they occasionally drop.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

AnimalChin posted:

Press F11.

e: f;b

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh look at the Feelings Brigade and their Luxurious Hen Apartments. How spacious! How vast! Why won't you give them their own private island while you're at it?
Sorry, I raise chickens for eggs, meat, and feathers. I do not raise them to make friends.

You'll sit there and you'll like it. :colbert:

drat right.

Baronjutter posted:

And paper is made out of sugar! Would love to see paper actually made out of wood, or some sort of reeds. He had such a great chance to add another plant and more diversity but nope, reeds is sugar now!
Paper actually can be made from sugar cane, even in real life.
Not after it's been processed into sugar, though, neither in real life nor in Minecraft.

wise purchase posted:

but then I run across stuff like this which shakes my confidence.
This chart is disingenuous at best and an outright lie at worst. Entire updates are omitted, features go unmentioned, and excuses are exaggerated.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Montalvo posted:

Install the Single Player Commands mod, and then you can bring up the chatbox and type /gamemode survival or /gamemode creative to switch up the modes while you play.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Am I just having bad luck in finding NO canyons and mines? I ended up loading my map into an editor and zipping around, unable to find jack. How common are they?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

People were talking about texture packs earlier, specifically John Smith. It's, in my opinion, far, far better than any other texture pack out there, but like anything it has little problems. So I figure that's a good chance to post the edits I've been doing on it. Mostly I've just mix-matched textures from different versions he's released, but I finally got bothered enough with what he was doing to smoothstone and ores to actually do some real edits. Credit still remains with John Smith of course.

The wonderful inventory HUD

Ok, sorry for the image dump! Last relevant thing, terrain.png:

The .zip is here, includes some other stuff like extra mob skins and custom rain and a smoother font (which you can see in the corner of those pics)

And the puny structures are from here.

Hope whoever downloads it enjoys. :3:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Eiba posted:

It's way more than a $15 dollar game now, even if nothing else is done. It's not unfinished by any stretch of the imagination.

It's most definitely unfinished--some aspects of the game don't even do anything, like XP levels and ender pearls. The game's in a weird state right now, in the middle of a transition to some kind of RPG.

Toady fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 22, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Taffer posted:

A bunch of loving :words: about loving textures.

Oh, hmm. That's actually quite good, I'll give that a try, along with your server a bit later. Cheers!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Holy crap that Sphax texture pack is the first hi-res pack I've seen that isn't total crap. Most of them use too much detail, that one uses hi-res to get smooth lines on it's vector goodness :allears:

Edit: his download page is ad.fly leading to mediafire :fuckoff:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Toady posted:

You can't possibly make this kind of prediction with that kind of certainty.
Every single time Notch has ever taken a break of any degree or duration, the fanbase has exploded with cries that the sky is falling, Notch has abandoned the game, and it will never be updated again.
This happened before survival mode, about halfway through InDev, near the end of InDev, just before InfDev, just after the basics of InfDev were finished, and on and on down through time. Every feature has been systematically predicted as never materializing. Multiplayer survival was the biggest for this; it was a popular claim to make absolutely certain claims that we'd never, ever see it.

And every time he's said he would come back to it, Notch has come back to it.
I expect Minecraft will stop its meandering development eventually, but not now, and not soon. Maybe when Notch says they're done, but not before.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times. I have checked the Minecraft wiki and I can't find it.

What is that green progress bar on my screen for?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

the posted:

I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times. I have checked the Minecraft wiki and I can't find it.

Fill it up with exp to get to fill it up again. Gameplay wise? Absolutely nothing.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The problem with persistent animals is the fact that they all get stuck in one area and don't disappear. It's usually under my bridge. Every few days I have to go down and kill them all.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Apocadall posted:

Fill it up with exp to get to fill it up again. Gameplay wise? Absolutely nothing.

So it literally does nothing except fill up and then repeat?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My only problem with Snowmen is that they represent something Mojang does way to often; an interesting idea that will be implemented poorly and then abandoned. Snowmen are a joke but they actually fill an important role of a friendly defense mob. If you could equip them with arrows or something they could help defend your house. But they're probably just going to end up like wolves; completley useless.

That being said I'm still looking forward to 1.9 because holy poo poo they're actually doing stuff with the nether. It only took them almost a year to realize all the wasted potential there, but at least they're finally adding stuff to it.

Vib Rib posted:

I thought in a set up like this the chickens would die due to suffocation?

VVVV Is this actually true? I know animals don't despawn now, but I'm pretty sure they still spawn. Just not as often. I've seen some animal wandering around in my front yard and that area was definitely cleared out of several times.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 22, 2011

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

the posted:

Notch likes to add half-finished features into the game before finishing them. It's an XP bar that levels you up.... but does nothing.

Much like the animal spawning that was all but removed, because he plans to add some kind of animal husbandry system later - but decided to just make animals never spawn before finishing the other half.

Internet Kraken posted:

VVVV Is this actually true? I know animals don't despawn now, but I'm pretty sure they still spawn. Just not as often. I've seen some animal wandering around in my front yard and that area was definitely cleared out of several times.

They still respawn, but EXTREMELY slowly. I can't remember the numbers exactly, but it's something along 1/400th of the previous rate. The difference is that now they spawn in groups of a few, rather than one at a time, to help the herd vibe. So yeah, they can spawn, it's just that it hardly ever happens.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 22, 2011

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the posted:

It's your experience bar. Levels don't do anything though. Yet.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Taffer posted:

The difference is that now they spawn in groups of a few, rather than one at a time, to help the herd vibe. So yeah, they can spawn, it's just that it hardly ever happens.

I swear this applies to Creepers now, as well. I haven't come across any lately that aren't part of a group that's at least 4 big.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Bat Ham posted:

I swear this applies to Creepers now, as well. I haven't come across any lately that aren't part of a group that's at least 4 big.

I thought I was just getting lucky (creeper spawner gently caress yeah unlimited tnt!) when a stream came running around a corner the other day. I was disappointed when I didn't find a dungeon.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

EightBit posted:

I thought I was just getting lucky (creeper spawner gently caress yeah unlimited tnt!) when a stream came running around a corner the other day. I was disappointed when I didn't find a dungeon.

AFAIK Creeper Spawners don't exist in un-modded minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

HAL9100 posted:

AFAIK Creeper Spawners don't exist in un-modded minecraft.

I thought the same too, but two people on my server claimed to find them independently of each other. I didn't see it myself though.