Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've looked that page up and down twice now and unless I'm going blind there is no such link there.

Vib Rib actually posted it on page 117, but here's the link for you. I can confirm that it worked for me; no more lag spikes and a consistent 60-70 fps on my laptop. However, there are apparently some cases where it may corrupt old worlds, so you might want to start with a new one after installing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mulefisk posted:

I just bought a brand new high-end laptop, but now I'm thinking of getting my money back because minecraft runs almost just as badly as it did on my old laptop which basically didn't have a graphics card.

I don't get it, how can a game that looks like it was made in 1995 run at 30 fps on a brand new computer?

EDIT: Also, what are the specs for yours?

Asus A52J: i5 480M w/ 4GB, Radeon HD6370M 1GB, haven't upgraded the RAM to 8GB yet but planning to. Running Win 7 Home Premium but not running MC 1.9 yet, just on 1.8.1 - Asus stopped making this model right after I got it but this has been working really well for me on everything. I asked for suggested models on the laptop thread back in June, and someone else tried Minecraft on this exact model and said it worked great for them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

e: reading comprehension sucks

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 25, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah, I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet, it's just something on my Amazon wishlist. Maybe if I ran pre-release stuff before the kinks are worked out I would upgrade, though, there seems to be a lot of complaints about bugs.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Asus A52J: i5 480M w/ 4GB, Radeon HD6370M 1GB, haven't upgraded the RAM to 8GB yet but planning to. Running Win 7 Home Premium but not running MC 1.9 yet, just on 1.8.1 - Asus stopped making this model right after I got it but this has been working really well for me on everything. I asked for suggested models on the laptop thread back in June, and someone else tried Minecraft on this exact model and said it worked great for them.

That sounds good. I'm curious as to what's the deciding factor that makes Minecraft run like poo poo on some new computers while it works great on others.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

If you're getting slow performance try running the game in Linux. It's the only way I can play Minecraft on my laptop which has a GMA X3100.

In 1.6 I was getting over 300fps running the game in Ubuntu 10.04 on my 3-year old gaming PC. Max I ever got in Windows 7 was 100fps.

edit: Not sure if it has to do with running OpenJDK instead of Sun

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 25, 2011

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

babies havin rabies posted:

If you're getting slow performance try running the game in Linux. It's the only way I can play Minecraft on my laptop which has a GMA X3100.

In 1.6 I was getting over 300fps running the game in Ubuntu 10.04 on my 3-year old gaming PC. Max I ever got in Windows 7 was 100fps.

Man, that extra 200 FPS must make the game run so smoothly. :allears:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Family sold their home, now we're looking at a smaller house to buy.

Walked into a house where the tenants didn't wanna leave for the open home. Three of them were in the computer room, one coding & the other two playing Minecraft.

:3:

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Deep Winter posted:

Man, that extra 200 FPS must make the game run so smoothly. :allears:
I bet all that FPS makes the chocolate taste terrible.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Notch posted:

If you hold food in your hand, they follow you around. If you feed them, they enter "love mode". Two animals in love mode = babies.

So apparently breeding involves cannibalism if certain conditions are met. Fantastic.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

krushgroove posted:

I'm using a Gateway FX-Series laptop that I bought in 2009 for Minecraft. It has 4gb RAM, a 1gb Nvidia 9800m GTS, and an Intel Centrino 2 CPU, and runs on 64-bit Vista. I've never had any problems playing (unmodded) Minecraft--when 1.8 introduced more stuttering, I dropped the draw distance down to "Normal", but beyond that, the game's run perfectly fine.

I don't think it's a laptop issue. I thought that it might have been linked to your graphics card--that is, perhaps most people experiencing FPS drops were using ATI cards. I know that GZDoom (the 3D engine re-write for Doom) runs fantastic on my Nvidia laptop, but is comparatively poo poo on ATI-based computers because of the differences in how the cards handle OpenGL.

But there seem to be people with ATI cards and no problems. :iiam:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Mulefisk posted:

I just bought a brand new high-end laptop, but now I'm thinking of getting my money back because minecraft runs almost just as badly as it did on my old laptop which basically didn't have a graphics card.

I don't get it, how can a game that looks like it was made in 1995 run at 30 fps on a brand new computer?

EDIT: Also, what are the specs for yours?

You mean 1985?

On my pretty moderately spec'ed Unix box MC runs very smoothly - never using more than 219Mb RAM - when I switch to fast graphics and set bobbing to off. Maybe try that for a while. Smooth lighting off helps too, but then some angles show as black, e.g. open chests, stairs, etc.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Are we sure that the two animals in "love mode" have to be the same species? I was hoping to do some amazing crossbreeding.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fuego Fish posted:

Are we sure that the two animals in "love mode" have to be the same species? I was hoping to do some amazing crossbreeding.

I, for one, would like to crossbreed Pows (or Cigs???) with Sheeckens in order to make a single, ultimate animal that produces egg-milk and vomits wool.

I don't have time for multiple animals.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Underflow posted:

You mean 1985?

On my pretty moderately spec'ed Unix box MC runs very smoothly - never using more than 219Mb RAM - when I switch to fast graphics and set bobbing to off. Maybe try that for a while. Smooth lighting off helps too, but then some angles show as black, e.g. open chests, stairs, etc.

I would have killed for a game that looked like this in 1985, I'm not sure you remember what the standard was back then.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MrChupon posted:

I would have killed for a game that looked like this in 1985, I'm not sure you remember what the standard was back then.

Minecraft would have been incredible in 1995 too, most games at that point were still using pre-rendered sprites superimposed on geometry if they had true 3D at all.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.

Minecraft in 1982

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I, for one, would like to crossbreed Pows (or Cigs???) with Sheeckens in order to make a single, ultimate animal that produces egg-milk and vomits wool.

Cigs sound awesome. A smooth, milky, mellow, bacon-flavored smoke.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

bout it flautist posted:

Minecraft in 1982

Digcraft

I see no mines :colbert:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is Minecraft.net down for you guys? The connecting won't even hang, just near instantly says it failed.

Typing in wrong password. :downs:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Suddenly Tentacles
Sep 14, 2008

UnCO3 posted:

[Mineception]

Mother of God. :psyduck:

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

UnCO3 posted:

*screenshots*

That took a minute to register..... please tell me this was just imported or created with some other witchcraft

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
E. ^^Amazing!

In my case the performance problems are definitely a laptop problem. My graphics card just wasn't built for playing 3D games, and it's to Minecraft's credit that I can run it at all, really. I just wondered why my performance dropped so bad between versions. Also, for what it's worth, I fixed my problem by changing from "max fps" to "balanced". I'm getting a playable 12 fps now. Not sure why I didn't think to try that last night.

Node posted:

Wow. The official 1.8 release runs like butt for me and I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. Multiple second pauses every few seconds makes it unplayable. I really hope this game doesn't go the way of Dwarf Fortress, performance wise.

That sounds like a lag spike problem, maybe? Apparently there's an Optimine fix out for it now. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-173-optifine-hd-g-fps-boost/

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 25, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Howmuch posted:

That took a minute to register..... please tell me this was just imported or created with some other witchcraft
Given that it's built on a flat layer of bedrock I'd assume that yes, it is edited.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

UnCO3 posted:

Light it with giant torches and THEN I'll be impressed! :haw:

(But seriously holy poo poo that's awesome)

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Here you go:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hope that this will include dog and creeper eggs as well.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Suddenly Tentacles posted:

Mother of God. :psyduck:
I'm taking the voxel to a whole new dimension.

Vib Rib posted:

Given that it's built on a flat layer of bedrock I'd assume that yes, it is edited.
Edited together from hand-built megablocks using MCEdit. I spent more time wrestling with the program to place the megablocks than I did making the prototypes.

CJacobs posted:

Light it with giant torches and THEN I'll be impressed! :haw:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
There should be an animal crate tool that makes animals portable/storable as inventory items. How does putting a cow in a big wooden crate make it possible to carry 64 of them one-handed? Who cares. Makes more sense than working with eggs. Recipe could be something like a chest with iron bars in the middle.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

MrChupon posted:

Incidentally, this is exactly what trying to clear an abandoned mine shaft feels like.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Tobaccrow posted:

There should be an animal crate tool that makes animals portable/storable as inventory items. How does putting a cow in a big wooden crate make it possible to carry 64 of them one-handed? Who cares. Makes more sense than working with eggs. Recipe could be something like a chest with iron bars in the middle.

Makes as much sense as being able to carry enough building materials to construct a medium-sized house in your back pocket, I suppose.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I should be able to pick up chickens.

cutie
Oct 22, 2010

Is it possible to have shadowless stair blocks?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Since he's going to have every animal reproduce with eggs (like in Pokemon) he should just add a Pokeball-type tool to "capture" animals and then let them out where you want!

(And then add the ability to capture and tame enemy mobs)

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I was awake last night when he posted that, and the egg thing sounded like a joke to me.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

tinaun posted:

Finally, the hitbox for fences will be fixed, and they will attach to whole blocks, like glass panes. http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/117688347803136000

Wait wait...
Controls: you can't hold space to repeatedly jump, or hold leftmouse to repeatedly hit things, in the v1.9 pre-release

Does that mean just killing things, or also mining? Jesus.

Also, has there been an update to the original 1.9pre yet?

Lastly, thread should be named : Picks or it didn't happen.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
What's this cobalt he's talking about? Are they adding a new ore?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jin Wicked posted:

I was awake last night when he posted that, and the egg thing sounded like a joke to me.

Using eggs or something else you could pick up would be way convenient for things like starting a new farm in another section of a multiplayer world.

Montalvo posted:

It's a different game (made mostly by a different studio, and to be published by Mojang) http://mojang.com/2011/08/18/introducing-cobalt/

Jens has always been one of the devs on it.

quote:

Introduction to Cobalt
It’s hard to be a metal face. Agent Cobalt has learned as much after finding the Space Exploration Foundation’s lost colonization ship The Seed at planet X9CSEC5.5B-blue, Trunkopia. It was once built by a one million strong development team back on Earth, but disappeared merely 30 minutes after its subspace jump. Whatever happened on board during its misadventure, sanity was not invited.

Cobalt is an action game of running, jumping, rolling, shooting, throwing, dancing, hacking, rolling, flying, sliding, climbing, looting, deflecting, racing, piñata-ing, passing, scoring… and even more rolling! Play cooperatively with friends or defeat your enemies in a death match, loot match, race match, or Capture the Plug matches. (Or one of the other game modes, of course!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Montalvo posted:

It's a new game that Mojang is helping to develop and publish.