Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Jump up and down like a spaz while you're fighting and if you're using an iron sword or better you'll kill pretty much everything in two hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Vanadium posted:

I have the opposite impression, can you explain how you deal with the new skeletons? The closest I can get to not getting hit is dashing in a circle around them until they shoot, then getting a hit in and running off again.

Just lure them up close, run around or crouch behind cover until they shoot, and then sprint up to them and smash the poo poo out of them. You might get hit, but you'll get hit less often and fewer times than you would fighting the old skeletons. A head-on assault used to be a suicidally stupid tactic against skeletons unless you had a diamond sword and balls of steel, but now it's perfectly viable and practically foolproof after a bit of trial and error.

If all else fails, you can also use your sword to block (right-click) until they shoot you, then rush them. You'll only take half damage and you'll be able to creep towards them while blocking, so it lets you close the gap faster without sacrificing too much health.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So some fuckwit on the official forums just messaged me saying that he is going to use the story line from my adventure maps for his "retail console game". He doesn't want my permission, but he just wanted to let me know that he was going to use it. Such a nice guy.

The Minecraft community really is amazing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drquasius posted:

Got knocked into lava, did you?
I've never been killed by a skeleton. I just hate them.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

toggle posted:

So some fuckwit on the official forums just messaged me saying that he is going to use the story line from my adventure maps for his "retail console game". He doesn't want my permission, but he just wanted to let me know that he was going to use it. Such a nice guy.

Mention legal action, I'm pretty sure everyone on the Minecraft forums is designed from the ground up to poo poo their pants and throw a tantrum at the merest mention of copyright law.

Although in all likelihood the guy is a self-professed "ideas man" and doesn't have the faintest idea about how to make a videogame.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fuego Fish posted:

Mention legal action, I'm pretty sure everyone on the Minecraft forums is designed from the ground up to poo poo their pants and throw a tantrum at the merest mention of copyright law.

Although in all likelihood the guy is a self-professed "ideas man" and doesn't have the faintest idea about how to make a videogame.

He is gonna make an awesome console game in RPG Maker. You can export that to PS3, right :downs:

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

xf86enodev posted:

Isn't putting burning crosses in front of other people's houses some kind of insult in the USA?

Burning.... crosses??? Clearly :notch: is giving us the double, flaming middle fingers.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

JGBeagle posted:

1.8 made so older graphic cards are unsupported so you may not be able to.

Wait, so it might not even run on my big machine (if I can fix it) anymore?

Why did they do that?

Is there some way to test this? like a demo version on the site?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Drox posted:

They shoot less often and are less accurate- it's pretty simple to dash at them with a sword and kill them that way before they shoot you.

Also yeah iron armor + food makes you invincible as long as you aren't getting cornered or dumped in lava so.

I had iron armor and survived falling into a 1x1 pit of lava for about five seconds before I whipped my water bucket out and dumped it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fatkraken posted:

Is there some way to test this? like a demo version on the site?

You said you hadn't played in "several months" which implies that you had an account before. It should still work, just log into the website and download the newest version in like 10 seconds. You can even just play it in a browser!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Right so, it just crashed my browser and maxed out virtual memory. Before even genning a world. I don't think this is gonna work :/

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

toggle posted:

How did he preface it? Did he just message you saying "I like your map so I'm robbing the story ktnxbye" or what?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Fatkraken posted:

Right so, it just crashed my browser and maxed out virtual memory. Before even genning a world. I don't think this is gonna work :/

How much memory does your computer have? And what browser are you using?

You might have to have minimal things running depending on things, and perhaps even upgrade to Java 7 and have the ViewDistance set to a low setting so it doesn't use memory for chunks/rendering.

VVV
Any trees and wild grass?

Cut down a tree, cut down the grass, plant trees, hoe ground, stand still for 3 ingame days to get 1 bread. Repeat until you have a farm. Doing poo poo just makes you hungry. On Easy/Normal you stay alive while hungry, Hard you die.

No grass, dig down. No Trees, you're hosed.

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 26, 2011

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've got a question for anyone that can answer it.

I used a seed to generate a map with just a few small-ish islands in a vast ocean. The problem is that there aren't any animals spawning at all on any island. Also, my hunger bar is always at max. I don't have to ever worry about food because it just never goes down, which means I never need to heal. I hope it's not a problem with the map itself, since I really like the map. A look in MCEdit shows that it's got the biggest jumbled mess of an abandoned mineshaft I've ever seen, which literally fills the whole map. I haven't even dug down into it yet.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

I've got a question for anyone that can answer it.

I used a seed to generate a map with just a few small-ish islands in a vast ocean. The problem is that there aren't any animals spawning at all on any island. Also, my hunger bar is always at max. I don't have to ever worry about food because it just never goes down, which means I never need to heal. I hope it's not a problem with the map itself, since I really like the map. A look in MCEdit shows that it's got the biggest jumbled mess of an abandoned mineshaft I've ever seen, which literally fills the whole map. I haven't even dug down into it yet.

Did you accidentally set the game to peaceful? And hunger only goes down if you're active.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Did you accidentally set the game to peaceful? And hunger only goes down if you're active.

I've been on peaceful, but I've always seen animals spawn on peaceful. I have yet to see any food-giving mob at all. And I've been actively digging in the mines, making a tree farm, and building a house from the cut down trunks of said tree farm.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

I've been on peaceful, but I've always seen animals spawn on peaceful. I have yet to see any food-giving mob at all. And I've been actively digging in the mines, making a tree farm, and building a house from the cut down trunks of said tree farm.

I may be wrong but I believe that edible mobs don't spawn in 1.8. If they do, they have a really low chance of spawning. I think it has something to do with the new animal farming thing Notch is currently tweaking. Animals don't spawn after the first batch, but they also don't despawn.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
I doubled my world size on my SMP server to finish building 20% of my wool lighthouse.

gently caress Sheep Forever.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Cabinet posted:

I may be wrong but I believe that edible mobs don't spawn in 1.8. If they do, they have a really low chance of spawning. I think it has something to do with the new animal farming thing Notch is currently tweaking. Animals don't spawn after the first batch, but they also don't despawn.

Ocean Biomes don't spawn edible animals as far as I know. Or the chance to spawn one is astronomically low.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Hey, I just realized: Portals look way cooler now. The edges are darkened and the center is brighter. Look at that!

Speaking of new features people aren't really talking about, does 1.9pre handle armor differently? The armor icons seem to function differently than before. Has he finally implemented that plan to make armor protect the same no matter how damaged it is? Because if so, armor might finally be worth using.

Also, while I can get snow on snow-filled seeds like Smuggler's Bung and others, my starting island on This is a good seed gets snowfall in some areas, but no actual snow on the ground. Strange stuff.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ThndrShk2k posted:

Ocean Biomes don't spawn edible animals as far as I know. Or the chance to spawn one is astronomically low.

I was disappointed that squid didn't yield calamari. On the other hand, I'm constantly surprised where the little bastards will spawn. Set up a waterfall near your town? Enjoy your new squid buddies!

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

ThndrShk2k posted:

Well, there's always fish.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Vatek posted:

Well, there's always fish.

Yeah, I suppose... I really wanted a chicken farm on my little island though. Or at least a pig to saddle up and keep me company.

What about my hunger bar never going down? I've had the hunger bar go down on other maps I've been on.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Did you switch it to peaceful by mistake?

In theory you could explore far enough to get out of the ocean biome, locate a bunch of chickens, collect as many egg as possible, then return and use them to spawn chickens at your farm.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I suppose... I really wanted a chicken farm on my little island though. Or at least a pig to saddle up and keep me company.

What about my hunger bar never going down? I've had the hunger bar go down on other maps I've been on.

On the other maps did you run everywhere instead of walk, jump, and explore/be active?

Hard to be active on tiny islands.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

ThndrShk2k posted:

On the other maps did you run everywhere instead of walk, jump, and explore/be active?

Hard to be active on tiny islands.

Unless your tiny island has a horrible twisting labyrinth of caves below it. :gonk:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Vatek posted:

Unless your tiny island has a horrible twisting labyrinth of caves below it. :gonk:

Bingo. I should screen shot the labyrinth of caves and mine shafts below my island. It's daunting to think that I have to explore that eventually.

EDIT: Here's some Cartographer renders:

After looking at it from this angle, the mineshafts are smaller than they looked in MCEdit. Still really huge though.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 27, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've never understood the need to completely explore a system of caves. I just treat them like the overworld: go in when I need something, carve out a small area, torch it, then leave. It's just too big to try to be feasible.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's just too big to try to be feasible.

It's too big to be feasible. It's not too big to try. :v:

Eikre
May 2, 2009
There's a certain extra joy in taming a wicked underground system since it's so much more involved than the overland. I like keeping the caves organic but adding little civilizing touches until it's like taking a trip through Luray caverns.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I've been finding a bunch of mineshafts at perfect diamond level. Never before had I found 10 diamonds so quickly.

Furthermore, where the gently caress do I find slimes? I found one, once. That was it, never again.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've got some cool plans for the mineshafts. Unfortunately, only 1 extremely small cave hits the surface where my island is, but there's an underground ravine that just barely breaks the surface right at the ocean's edge. The far end of it stops less than a dozen blocks short of a dungeon room with a spider spawner, which is down the hall from the mineshafts.

I have an idea. I'm going to build an island paradise. On the surface, it will look like a small village with a farm, a few houses, and a dock. For those of us with extra curious perceptions who can find that ravine, I plan on building much, much stranger things for them. I don't know how long it will take me, or where I will go, but it will be worth keeping the map small enough to easily upload and download.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish things like mineshafts and fortresses had surface entrances. I'd love to be walking around and find a spooky boarded-up mine entrance, or the ruins of some ancient tower beckoning me to come below.

Has notched stated any intentions in regard to villages? I've been spoiled on some awesome village mods and hope notch looks to those. Man I'd so love the ability to hire an NPC one day. I love building things, but it's so lonely. Wanna build some houses and living quarters and have little dudes move in and work.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never understood the need to completely explore a system of caves. I just treat them like the overworld: go in when I need something, carve out a small area, torch it, then leave. It's just too big to try to be feasible.

For me, the cycle seems to go something like this.

1. Get established on a low level on any given survival map.
2. Find cool underground stuff until I find abandoned mines.
3. Immediately feel compulsive urge to light up the whole drat thing, pick up all the free rails, loot all the chests, and smash EVERY SINGLE GOD drat SPIDER SPAWNER.
4. Fail in this, lose some good diamond gear in the process, and start over on a new map.

Abandoned mines are the DEVIL. And they are GREAT at dropping poisonous spiders on your head when you least expect it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Senator Woofington posted:

I've been finding a bunch of mineshafts at perfect diamond level. Never before had I found 10 diamonds so quickly.

Furthermore, where the gently caress do I find slimes? I found one, once. That was it, never again.

Get Rei's Minimap, turn on "show Slime Chunks." Prevent normal mobs, both friendly and hostile, from spawning on the surface. Dig out a giant space near bedrock and light it up. Then wait.

On my old 1.7.3 map I got lucky and built my tower right on top of a slime chunk, I probably saw 5-6 or them in the time I was playing, killed them all. Not a single one ever dropped a slime ball. (They were always mini-slimes for some reason.)

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Have people figured out an efficient way to deal with poison spiders/spawners yet? Because gently caress them. gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them. The old spawner tactic of 'clear a path, run in and torch it up' doesn't work so well when there are webs everywhere and I keep taking poison damage.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bat Ham posted:

Have people figured out an efficient way to deal with poison spiders/spawners yet? Because gently caress them. gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them. The old spawner tactic of 'clear a path, run in and torch it up' doesn't work so well when there are webs everywhere and I keep taking poison damage.

It would be a lot easier if webs burned. But ifs and buts ain't candy and nuts.

I have had some success in sealing off sections, then digging in close to the spawner and breaking it thusly.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Bat Ham posted:

Notch or Jens talked about milk curing poison, no idea if it's in the game yet or not though.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Water removes webs. You can use this to deal with the ones on the floor. For everything else, bring shears. Swords also work but use up 2 durability per.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Get Rei's Minimap, turn on "show Slime Chunks." Prevent normal mobs, both friendly and hostile, from spawning on the surface. Dig out a giant space near bedrock and light it up. Then wait.

On my old 1.7.3 map I got lucky and built my tower right on top of a slime chunk, I probably saw 5-6 or them in the time I was playing, killed them all. Not a single one ever dropped a slime ball. (They were always mini-slimes for some reason.)

I believe if you kill slimes with a sword they don't drop slimeballs for some reason. The smallest slimes die in a single punch though so it's not like you really need a sword anyways.