Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Anyone who's after a survival challenge might want to look at the seed 1451624539692177838

Spawns you on a decent-sized island that's 99% desert, with a bit of dirt and sugar cane around the edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

You gotta use your gigantic pile of redstone and slimeballs for something, right?

Does it even have to be sticky pistons? Wouldn't gravity keep the blocks in place?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Only sand and gravel are subject to gravity.

Clockwork-Ringtail
Feb 28, 2007

The Sparky Madgirl

Allen Wren posted:

Does it even have to be sticky pistons? Wouldn't gravity keep the blocks in place?

But dirt isn't affected by gravity :science:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You're right. I'm an idiot.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

toggle posted:

So some fuckwit on the official forums just messaged me saying that he is going to use the story line from my adventure maps for his "retail console game". He doesn't want my permission, but he just wanted to let me know that he was going to use it. Such a nice guy.

The Minecraft community really is amazing.

He wants a negative reaction. Just send a message back saying

"Cool, what engine will you develop this on? Who is your publisher and how big is your team? I don't really want my idea to be poorly represented so if you fail to deliver a decent product I will sue for intellectual property infringement.

Good luck and write back soon!"

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really like what the new lighting engine can do. :)

Here's hoping they can fix the performance issues soon!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mordaedil posted:

He wants a negative reaction. Just send a message back saying

"Cool, what engine will you develop this on? Who is your publisher and how big is your team? I don't really want my idea to be poorly represented so if you fail to deliver a decent product I will sue for intellectual property infringement.

Good luck and write back soon!"

Please do this and post his response :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Another call out by Notch! Simon and Lewis!

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Macaluso posted:

The other day I've noticed that they have almost a million subscribers on youtube now. That's quite amazing! I'm really happy for them and I'm proud I knew them before they were cool :3: (they were always cool)

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Macaluso posted:

He's a bit behind in the times!

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Clockwork-Ringtail posted:

But dirt isn't affected by gravity :science:

Instead of pushing them up, he could just push them from left to right. That'd require just two pistons per 15 blocks. (14 blocks dirt, 1 block air)

Eikre
May 2, 2009

mrwuss posted:

He's a bit behind in the times!

He is just shy, okay. It takes time to work up the gumption to admit these things.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Lallander posted:

Try this mod on for size.
Cubic Chunks
65504 world height. Multiplayer isn't ready yet, but he's working on it.

I can't get this to work, I'm just getting a black screen. :(

Does it work with 1.8.1?

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
Hot off the press!

Jeb posted:

This will probably ->NOT<- be included in Beta 1.9, but it's a nice screenshot

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Bottles! :swoon:

What's the icon for speed supposed to be, though?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Fuego Fish posted:

Bottles! :swoon:

What's the icon for speed supposed to be, though?

Gust of wind!

Lazy Bastard
Aug 23, 2004
Laziness is an art
How do you guys play minecraft? I see some people building houses while others range far and wide all over their map. For the people that build houses, how do you manage the time and distance that you can explore when you are tied down to one home location? For the nomads, do you still have a home base or do you just wander around until you find something good?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vinigre posted:

Hot off the press!

Oh god please let there be different colored liquids available! Mojang, just make the objects available in-game, I don't care if they have no functionality! Now all we need are different colored gems ...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Lazy Bastard posted:

How do you guys play minecraft? I see some people building houses while others range far and wide all over their map. For the people that build houses, how do you manage the time and distance that you can explore when you are tied down to one home location? For the nomads, do you still have a home base or do you just wander around until you find something good?

I usually build a nice big house on spawn, carry a compass, and then travel far and wide. If I find an interesting area, I'll build a smaller base there, with chests for supplies and a furnace and workbench so that I don't need to go back to spawn for anything. Maps are also helpful, and if a particular area is hard to navigate, I'll build a lighthouse or similar large landmark so that I can quickly orient myself when I break through the ground after a particularly harrowing cave delve.

Whenever I want to store a large quantity of precious resources (i.e. several diamonds or a full stack of gold) or start work on a megaproject, I head back to my headquarters at spawn. Otherwise, I rough it in the wild and gather food, wood, and whatever else I need as I go.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Lazy Bastard posted:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/The_Nether#Portals_and_Fast_Travel

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

fondue posted:

Oh god please let there be different colored liquids available! Mojang, just make the objects available in-game, I don't care if they have no functionality! Now all we need are different colored gems ...

Minecraft: Enabling spergs throughout the 21st century

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Angry Diplomat posted:

I usually build a nice big house on spawn, carry a compass, and then travel far and wide. If I find an interesting area, I'll build a smaller base there, with chests for supplies and a furnace and workbench so that I don't need to go back to spawn for anything. Maps are also helpful, and if a particular area is hard to navigate, I'll build a lighthouse or similar large landmark so that I can quickly orient myself when I break through the ground after a particularly harrowing cave delve.

Whenever I want to store a large quantity of precious resources (i.e. several diamonds or a full stack of gold) or start work on a megaproject, I head back to my headquarters at spawn. Otherwise, I rough it in the wild and gather food, wood, and whatever else I need as I go.

My SP gameplay is evolving into something like this. I used to just make a base near or on a large feature near spawn, mine down and around, then get bored. Just recently I've started making lava pillars as high as possible, so I can see them from a distance while I explore. I make sure to carry spare wood, coal and picks so I can burrow for safety if I'm too far away, and when I get far enough away from the lava pillar I'll try to make another one (also carrying a lava bucket or two). I'll have to see about exploring rivers with a boat, though - probably worth carrying a couple of boats as well.

I'm too much of a homebody in-game to try exploring the Nether yet, though.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Lazy Bastard posted:

Nomad reporting in!

Rules:
0) Play on hard. Delete any worlds you die on.
1) First day is to gather resources. Wood into stone tools, unless you're lucky and find some iron early on. Continue gathering until the first night.
2) When the first night comes, find the moon. Point yourself in that direct, and continue heading in that direction. Continue until you die.
3) If you find any caves/abandoned mines, explore them. This is okay, because its (potentially) more dangerous than the overworld.
4) No permament structures. You can build structures (Like, to cook iron or the like), but they can only last one day or one night.

I used to play with Belkar's weapon mods, which helped alot when traveling at night, but he hasn't updated since. Sprinting/Critical hits help alot; though.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Vinigre posted:

Hot off the press!

Oh awesome! Looks like he's putting work into potions! Wonder if you'll make them or find them instead

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

neogeo0823 posted:

I've got a question for anyone that can answer it.

I used a seed to generate a map with just a few small-ish islands in a vast ocean. The problem is that there aren't any animals spawning at all on any island. Also, my hunger bar is always at max. I don't have to ever worry about food because it just never goes down, which means I never need to heal. I hope it's not a problem with the map itself, since I really like the map. A look in MCEdit shows that it's got the biggest jumbled mess of an abandoned mineshaft I've ever seen, which literally fills the whole map. I haven't even dug down into it yet.

Curious and would like to check it out myself, care to give the seed?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

TalonDemonKing posted:

Nomad reporting in!

Rules:
0) Play on hard. Delete any worlds you die on.
1) First day is to gather resources. Wood into stone tools, unless you're lucky and find some iron early on. Continue gathering until the first night.
2) When the first night comes, find the moon. Point yourself in that direct, and continue heading in that direction. Continue until you die.
3) If you find any caves/abandoned mines, explore them. This is okay, because its (potentially) more dangerous than the overworld.
4) No permament structures. You can build structures (Like, to cook iron or the like), but they can only last one day or one night.

I used to play with Belkar's weapon mods, which helped alot when traveling at night, but he hasn't updated since. Sprinting/Critical hits help alot; though.

I don't really understand how this wouldn't get boring after you've done it a few times, but then again I like to build big things.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

@Chippy; I enjoy exploring more than building (As I suck at building, I'm not that creative :( ). Generally my dungeon exploring has gotten down to a science; yet I always manage to die in new and creative ways. I guess it's cause I like Demon Souls that it makes the harshness of dying even that much better. It's hard to explain.

Vinigre posted:

Hot off the press!

Jumping: 6. I really hope that means 6 blocks!. Also, I'm hoping for alchemy to be in soon!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
He should change the speed icon to the rabbit and the jump to a kangaroo.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TalonDemonKing posted:

Jumping: 6. I really hope that means 6 blocks!. Also, I'm hoping for alchemy to be in soon!
I want to point out that the stats all have a colon in them, not a decimal point.
They aren't listed values. They're times. What does it mean?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I posted a link to a small server I'm running awhile back and have a small group of people who have been playing. My IP changed recently and I haven't been able to find a few of you (elogain, danith, and others). The new IP is 174.109.163.170:420. If anyone else wants to come check out what we've made and gently caress around feel free.

I've got a permanent host name setup that I can give to anyone who plays a lot.

We've got plugins for teleports/landmarks (its /pw or /pw help for info), sponges, and flying (/fly). Once craftbukkit and 1.9 are out I might install some more plugins.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat and break peoples stuff. Also please don't fly off in one direction for a really long time and make the world file huge. I'll just revert to a backup and ban you. Other than that pretty much anything goes.

(click for big)

YJT
Oct 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I want to point out that the stats all have a colon in them, not a decimal point.

level:xp

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Vib Rib posted:

According to the minecraft wiki, there are Potion effects defined in minecraft. And judging by the bottle in the picture, it seems like you'll be able to craft potions to boost stats for a while.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

YJT posted:

level:xp
No, it's not that. Strength and Speed are both at level II but Speed says 1:34 and Strength is at 2:45.
Likewise the others all seem to be at I as they have no level suffix. It doesn't say Jumping VI.

Insanity Prawn posted:

According to the minecraft wiki, there are Potion effects defined in minecraft. And judging by the bottle in the picture, it seems like you'll be able to craft potions to boost stats for a while.
Oh, that's probably it! For some reason I had just assumed these were leveled skills/abilities.
It is interesting to know that potions of the same effect will come in different strengths.

So you can make a Strength potion, but a Strength II potion would be even better. It's quite a potential variety of items.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Looking at it again, it's showing that strength and speed are II, meaning either one or two upgrades.

I can't make heads or tails of this :psyduck:

Edit: Beaten.

Also, that link. Invisibility potions? This makes me a happy Pvper! :black101:

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 27, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'd appreciate a combination of potions and proper abilities. Isn't that what the XP bar would lead to, some passive or active abilities for the player character?

YJT
Oct 27, 2010
If those are potion effect times then that's some long rear end potion effects. I still think it's xp and that there's more than one speed and strength stat.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Perhaps the numbers are the amount of time each potion effect has left?

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
It's obviously bible verses.

Oh and prerelease 2? So does that mean the previous release was a preprerelease for a version of beta?

canned_fruit fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does anyone thing there's any scope for scenarios or other types of RPG elements?

For example, I love the recent Fallout games (Fallout 3 and New Vegas), and quest missions combined with random terrain, wandering monsters (to take a D&D reference), etc., would be awesome. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there's any hint of this type of playability to be coming in Minecraft. I know some people have released huge map packs with hidden dungeons and stuff, but IIRC none of them have characters or quests involved, just puzzle solving and stuff like that.