Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
They are clearly ratios of awesome:not awesome.

Or possible the other way round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Goddamn this game is crashing more and more often for me. I have 1.9 and everything ran fine for hours before crashing but now its like every 5 minutes. 8gb of ddr3 and my pagefile is fine.

I guess it doesn't help that i'm starting to explore further from spawn now that more of my structures are complete.

I just want to play blocks, notch, why wont you let me play blocks?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Haha lost shard is going to be completely broken once we get actual spells and repair skills and poo poo like that

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've got a question for anyone that wants to answer it.

I'm trying to make a switch where you throw an item into a pit and water carries that item to a pressure plate. However, I don't want to have the item sit on the plate for ever until it dissolves. I can't seem to figure out how to get the water to push the item past the plate. Can anyone help me out with the solution?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I can't check it right now, but do pistons pop depressed plates? Either that or just a piston just ahead of the plate that blocks the water for a moment, then opens up and pushes the item past.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Pistons destroy pressure plates, so that won't work.

E: Found something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_d7udNcQ0&feature=player_embedded

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 27, 2011

Eikre
May 2, 2009
But the bit where the piston opens and lets in more water to direct the item off the switch certainly will.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
He edited that in after I posted. :argh:

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

ascii genitals posted:

I posted a link to a small server I'm running awhile back and have a small group of people who have been playing. My IP changed recently and I haven't been able to find a few of you (elogain, danith, and others). The new IP is 174.109.163.170:420. If anyone else wants to come check out what we've made and gently caress around feel free.

I've got a permanent host name setup that I can give to anyone who plays a lot.

We've got plugins for teleports/landmarks (its /pw or /pw help for info), sponges, and flying (/fly). Once craftbukkit and 1.9 are out I might install some more plugins.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat and break peoples stuff. Also please don't fly off in one direction for a really long time and make the world file huge. I'll just revert to a backup and ban you. Other than that pretty much anything goes.

(click for big)

Hey :) Have some problems with minecraft and out of memory bug/crashes :/ Soo waiting for that to get fixed before I play again.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
Some of you may have seen my post about a week ago talkin' about an incomplete function on Minecraft.net that required players with illegal usernames - for example, those with periods, commas, etc - to submit a new login. This function has since been fixed and anyone that was unable to properly log in and change skins/download server JARs can now go ahead and do so.

People who want to change their legal username are still SOL. :saddowns:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Here's a basic mechanism for clearing a plate. You can probably use the plate + repeaters to open and close the pistons.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

:ninja: EDIT: ^^^Or this might work as well. Good ideas all around.^^^

Vatek posted:

Pistons destroy pressure plates, so that won't work.

E: Found something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_d7udNcQ0&feature=player_embedded

This is perfect, thanks. :)

Now I just have to figure out how to get the door I want to have to open properly. I'm figuring that one out slowly though.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Just started playing again since the latest update.

I found my first abandoned mineshaft that went forever, and one of the tunnels in it led to this cavernous jaw-dropping cliff that looked out into this giant cave with lava flows everywhere.

Is this normal now with this update? If so, this is amazing.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Yeah, you will get a lot of abandoned mines and cool ravines now. Aint life grand?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ascii genitals posted:

I posted a link to a small server I'm running awhile back and have a small group of people who have been playing. My IP changed recently and I haven't been able to find a few of you (elogain, danith, and others). The new IP is 174.109.163.170:420. If anyone else wants to come check out what we've made and gently caress around feel free.

I've got a permanent host name setup that I can give to anyone who plays a lot.

We've got plugins for teleports/landmarks (its /pw or /pw help for info), sponges, and flying (/fly). Once craftbukkit and 1.9 are out I might install some more plugins.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat and break peoples stuff. Also please don't fly off in one direction for a really long time and make the world file huge. I'll just revert to a backup and ban you. Other than that pretty much anything goes.

(click for big)

Hey, I'm the guy that built that big black wool cave leading to the mini nether. I see you have a whitelist now, i tried logging on a moment ago and wasn't allowed. I'd like to come back on, my IP is 71.114.55.89 and my MC name is FP0. Looks like a lot more stuff has sprung up since I was on last.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

FirePhoenix posted:

Hey, I'm the guy that built that big black wool cave leading to the mini nether. I see you have a whitelist now, i tried logging on a moment ago and wasn't allowed. I'd like to come back on, my IP is 71.114.55.89 and my MC name is FP0. Looks like a lot more stuff has sprung up since I was on last.

Yeah I meant to turn white list off, its off now.

I think the wool got burned down :(.. you're right though, theres a lot more stuff. Including a really long train.

Murdershoe
May 8, 2009

Jervas Dudley posted:

Has anyone done that survey graph for the new terrain generation? I'm almost ready to give up and start strip mining for diamond. I've found 2 in caves.

I'm finding very few diamonds on the server that i play on, and i'm strip mining :(
An updated graph would be welcome to dissuade or confirm my suspicions that diamonds are rarer now.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Murdershoe posted:

I'm finding very few diamonds on the server that i play on, and i'm strip mining :(
An updated graph would be welcome to dissuade or confirm my suspicions that diamonds are rarer now.

Not that you're the first person to get this wrong, but strip mining invovles mining at the surface. It should probably be called drift mining.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Most people refer to strip mining as the basic dig out a big hole in the ground strategy, even if that's not real world correct.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ascii genitals posted:

Yeah I meant to turn white list off, its off now.

I think the wool got burned down :(.. you're right though, theres a lot more stuff. Including a really long train.

i wouldn't be surprised if it did, there's lava in the nether I made, it's close to the wool. I'll fix it, no biggy.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

simosimo posted:

I've only just made my first ever portal on my server. But how do you determine how multiple portals work. Would you build a portal at settlement #2. Enter the nether...and try and locate the portal from settlement #1?

Easiest way is to get destination coordinates in the real world, divide them by 8 (you only need to calculate the x and z coordinates, portals seem to ignore y) and then build your portal in the nether to get there.

Conversely, you can build a portal in the exact spot you want in the real world, do the same thing in the nether (with the coordinates divided by 8 again) to get them to link up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Furnok Dorn posted:

Easiest way is to get destination coordinates in the real world, divide them by 8 (you only need to calculate the x and z coordinates, portals seem to ignore y) and then build your portal in the nether to get there.

Is y height?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I wonder if they're ever going to make water behave more realistically.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Y is height.

Murdershoe
May 8, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

Not that you're the first person to get this wrong, but strip mining invovles mining at the surface. It should probably be called drift mining.

yeah, my mistake, i dig down to y=16 or so and mine parallel tunnels 4 blocks apart.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I dig large holes all the way to bedrock and then lure creepers and unsuspecting players into them. :haw:

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
My friend has a lovely netbook with a 1.6GHz Atom and integrated 945-express graphics, and Minecraft is unplayable (like, she gets 2fps). Her dad took her to Best Buy looking for a desktop more suitable for gaming... and they picked up an HP P7-1154. It has a 2.1GHz quad-core AMD A6-3600, integrated Radeon HD 6530D graphics, and 8GBs of DDR3-1060 RAM. Can that play Minecraft 1.9 and the YogBox satisfactorily? (She specifically asked the dude at Best Buy, "Minecraft is sort of CPU-intensive, are you sure this is okay for games like that?", and he laughed at her and said "Of course, Minecraft isn't even a serious game.")

edit: I tried looking up some relevant benchmarks, but the platform is relatively new and I couldn't find any information.

Happy Fun Bollocks fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 27, 2011

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Suddenly Tentacles posted:

Mother of God. :psyduck:

Howmuch posted:

That took a minute to register..... please tell me this was just imported or created with some other witchcraft

Esme posted:

E. ^^Amazing!

Okay, not to be dense... but what am I looking at here?

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Okay, this was way too satisfying considering how simple it was.
Notch! Add solid block characters on signs please!

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Deep Winter posted:

Okay, not to be dense... but what am I looking at here?

1 block = 1 pixel.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Vatek posted:

Reaching a steady state in a fluid simulation is hard enough as it is without an infinite world, most of which isn't currently loaded.

So, no.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

A Sassy Dog posted:

Now I want to drive cars with Source physics around a Minecraft highway.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

PalmTreeFun posted:

Oxcart! :whip::gonchar:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

A Sassy Dog posted:

I'm making the Garden State Parkway next!

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'm imagining the HL2 buggy driving into a 1 tile raise in the highway, and proceeding to launch into orbit now.

More games need poorly tweaked havok physics.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Vatek posted:

I dig large holes all the way to bedrock and then lure creepers and unsuspecting players into them. :haw:

One time I dug a big bedrock hole. Never again.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009

Vatek posted:

It used to about a year ago, but its behavior was changed to what it is now intentionally. I doubt they would revert back.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If my car doesn't have square wheels that cause it to bounce around, my immersion will be RUINED!!!!!!

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Ferroque posted:

One time I dug a big bedrock hole. Never again.

Everyone does this at least once. It's a right of passage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

PalmTreeFun posted:

Welcome to my world.

A man can dream.. a man can dream..