Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

waffle posted:

Outside of the moving player blocks issue, I think one of the easiest steps twoards making Endermen interesting would be to have them build structures, rather than having them randomly move blocks around

I would really like this. They don't even have to be nice looking or make sense.

Then again, the current endermen on the 1.8.1 server I play on seem to have a habit of bringing their blocks to certain piles. Unless there's some player on my server who really likes making a grab bag stack of leaves, sand, stone brick and grass blocks. (Which reminds me, it's kind of handy having endermen carry grass blocks around especially into caves and tunnels. Now I have a lawn in front of my subterranean hell castle.)

I stand by my belief that endermen chopping holes in trees at random is awesome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

At a glance I think you could make the monorail reuse the same set of repeaters over a distance so yeah, could make it much simpler.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
If you were using redpower, you could even make one redstone repeater function like a whole line of them. Not only is there an advanced repeater that can delay up to 64 torches' worth, there's also a counter that sends out a signal after it's received an input a certain number of times. So you could loop an advanced repeater into a counter and have it only fire off a signal after the repeater goes off 8 times, for instance.

I know it's a mod and all, but it's really worth checking out if you're into playing with redstone.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vatek posted:

I like them as a feature, but they need to work on how they're generated. The layout should resemble how an actual mine would be laid out, instead of some horrible schizophrenic disaster that was apparently carved by miners who were left underground too long and went insane.

While logical mines would be excellent, I'd prefer to have them as an addition to, and not a replacement of, the current system. The occasionally schizophrenic structure is one of my favorite parts.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

More things to explore would, indeed, be awesome. Caves were amazingly fun, and having them randomly intersect with abandoned mineshafts is cool too. Plenty of string and rail tracks for everyone!

I kinda don't like the idea of only 'X strongholds per map'; though. Anyone else feel the same?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

TalonDemonKing posted:

I kinda don't like the idea of only 'X strongholds per map'; though. Anyone else feel the same?

Yep, they should be a randomly generated feature like anything else. X per map means that you could play for months and potentially never see one.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I'd just like mineshafts to be a block or two wider, since the fence block makes jumps hard to negotiate sometimes.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Senator Woofington posted:

Speaking of bedrock type things, I have been mining between layer 1 and 16 for miles now. Literally just going everywhere I can, whether its strip mining or following a cave and I have never come across a slime. I'm talking miles and miles of cave.

Anyone have any ideas? I used the slime chunk calculation and I even cleared out an entire chunk from layer 1 - 16 for slime spawning goodness and nothing happened!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Senator Woofington posted:

Anyone have any ideas? I used the slime chunk calculation and I even cleared out an entire chunk from layer 1 - 16 for slime spawning goodness and nothing happened!

Slimes count against the mob limit same as everything else, make sure there isn't a population of critters above ground (or in a dungeon) on the same chunk.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Slimes count against the mob limit same as everything else, make sure there isn't a population of critters above ground (or in a dungeon) on the same chunk.

Roger, time to go on a murder spree!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

trandorian posted:

I would really like this. They don't even have to be nice looking or make sense.

Then again, the current endermen on the 1.8.1 server I play on seem to have a habit of bringing their blocks to certain piles. Unless there's some player on my server who really likes making a grab bag stack of leaves, sand, stone brick and grass blocks. (Which reminds me, it's kind of handy having endermen carry grass blocks around especially into caves and tunnels. Now I have a lawn in front of my subterranean hell castle.)

I stand by my belief that endermen chopping holes in trees at random is awesome though.

I'd really like it if there were particular block co-ordinates that acted like endermen magnets. Every time they'd place a block, they'd try and place it as close to the "magnet spot" as possible. So that way you could end up with weird structures that encompassed, or reached up to, a particular point. Imagine finding a huge tower made from assorted blocks, stretching up towards the sky like a primitive attempt to commune with the gods.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fuego Fish posted:

I'd really like it if there were particular block co-ordinates that acted like endermen magnets. Every time they'd place a block, they'd try and place it as close to the "magnet spot" as possible. So that way you could end up with weird structures that encompassed, or reached up to, a particular point. Imagine finding a huge tower made from assorted blocks, stretching up towards the sky like a primitive attempt to commune with the gods.

And now imagine returning to that tower with buckets of water, as if to act as the Metatron.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have slain everything I possible could in the area... I just don't know anymore, maybe the slime spawning algorithm is different and my slime chunk is no longer a slime chunk? I just don't know anymore...

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Vatek posted:

How would you do it, though? There's no way to just put poo poo together and have it magically work the way you want it to. Redstone isn't some spergy bullshit, it's a good logical method for creating all kinds of ridiculously elaborate systems.
Redstone is overly complex for what you need it to do by design. If Notch wanted to make it more usable, he should've made the gates as single blocks, or even better, he should've used some kind of graphical programming scheme like the one in the PSX game Carnage Heart.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Loving Life Partner posted:

EDIT:
Also, for early game it seems like a no brainer there should be an offhand slot and a shield item. 9 wood, takes damage on each blow absorbed and then breaks, tada, no more annoying skeletons.
They added a way to block/parry with swords but despite the animation I don't think it actually does anything yet.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Finding a cavern used to be a rare treat, but eh.
I guess I'm in the minority but I always hated having to search so fruitlessly for caves, digging and exploring and not finding a single tunnel system, just uninterrupted rock.
I feel like underground dungeon rooms are rare enough, anyway. That we don't need more "one in every 40 chunk" features when they're hidden in solid stone.

TalonDemonKing posted:

I know Jeb said they were removing this in 1.9 and switching to an unlimited amount, but I just don't know if they've done that yet.

Vatek posted:

Redstone isn't some spergy bullshit
It kind of is.
Having to build XOR logic gates may seem like second nature to some people but as someone who's never taken any kind of computer logic or electrical engineering course I can safely say there's not one goddamn intuitive thing about it, and even copying an online diagram piece by piece just so I could get a piston door that opens on both sides was a mind-numbing chore even before I had to factor in the huge wiring footprint.
Any time you see anything remotely interesting in redstone, they then go on to show the wiring and it's a dozen chunks in size. I mean look at that 'high speed' train video. The thing crawls along and it's got literally thousands of repeaters involved to make it. Even as an exaggerated and intentionally visual way to demonstrate it, it hardly stands out against the kind of elaborate floating wiring systems you usually see poking out the back side of cliff faces.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Vib Rib posted:

It kind of is.
Having to build XOR logic gates may seem like second nature to some people but as someone who's never taken any kind of computer logic or electrical engineering course I can safely say there's not one goddamn intuitive thing about it, and even copying an online diagram piece by piece just so I could get a piston door that opens on both sides was a mind-numbing chore even before I had to factor in the huge wiring footprint.
Any time you see anything remotely interesting in redstone, they then go on to show the wiring and it's a dozen chunks in size. I mean look at that 'high speed' train video. The thing crawls along and it's got literally thousands of repeaters involved to make it. Even as an exaggerated and intentionally visual way to demonstrate it, it hardly stands out against the kind of elaborate floating wiring systems you usually see poking out the back side of cliff faces.
It's hard to think of a feature that would be as adaptable as redstone that didn't use such logic, though. I mean, there's an argument to be made for having a "circuit" block where you can place some of the more intricate redstone wiring, but at the end of the day, you're still working with AND, NOT, XOR, etc

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

redmercer posted:

And now imagine returning to that tower with buckets of water, as if to act as the Metatron.

That's not how you spell "lava".

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remember once looking up a guide on how to get double-doors to open on a pressure plate using redstone. I took one look at it and decided I'd rather just live with single doors.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Yeah, I'm not arguing that it's a perfect system that needs no improvement. It definitely needs ways to miniaturize circuits (maybe some kind of crafting table where you can combine components to make a chip?) and the workarounds you have to use to get redstone wire to go places are a pain in the rear end thanks to the way blocks interact with each other.

Of course it's not going to be intuitive if you jump right in and start trying to throw down XOR gates and all kinds of advanced poo poo all over the place. You have to start small and understand how it works before you start messing with logic gates and memory cells.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I remember once looking up a guide on how to get double-doors to open on a pressure plate using redstone. I took one look at it and decided I'd rather just live with single doors.

It's not as hard as you think it is.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 28, 2011

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you think redstone circuits are highly spergy, congratulations you're not a programmer and probably couldn't do it proficiently even if you went to school to get a CS degree.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Actually it's more I don't really want to dedicate the time to learning it for the sole purpose of applying it to a block building game.

edit; I guess my point is the average player wouldn't have much use for it. The only reason I was ever interested was because I was playing on the Lost Shard server, where you really really need to lock up your poo poo. Seeing people make things like combination locks was mighty impressive. Maybe I'm not creative enough to see the applications of it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 28, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's a relatively easy way to do those actually. I added this to the OP a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzuplCco8Dg

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

EightBit posted:

If you think redstone circuits are highly spergy, congratulations you're not a programmer and probably couldn't do it proficiently even if you went to school to get a CS degree.
Yeah we're basically just stupid luddites not smart enough to understand what's an obvious and intuitive system.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
The biggest thing that I wish Notch would finesse regarding redstone-related stuff is the delays related to repeaters. I want to have longer possible delays, and it seems like the delays are capped no matter how many I chain.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

EightBit posted:

Thank loving god.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Demitri Omni posted:

The biggest thing that I wish Notch would finesse regarding redstone-related stuff is the delays related to repeaters. I want to have longer possible delays, and it seems like the delays are capped no matter how many I chain.
How do you mean, "capped"?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah we're basically just stupid luddites not smart enough to understand what's an obvious and intuitive system.

I'm not claiming it's intuitive, because it's not. It actually requires putting a little effort into it to learn it.

Demitri Omni posted:

A repeater that brought up a prompt you could type a number (in seconds) into to set the delay would be a loving godsend. I know Redpower has one, but I like playing the 1.9 pre-release and Notch & Co are updating so fast that modmakers have no time to put out new versions. :(

Vatek fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 28, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

EightBit posted:

Having to design an XOR gate out of only NOT and OR gates sucks, especially when NOTs take up 2 cubic meters and ORs take up one, plus all the wires you need to hook them together, plus all the blocks to keep the wires from hooking up wrong, it's pretty hard to work around this poo poo even if you do know an RS-latch from a T flip-flop. I think I spend more time trying to make my circuits space-efficent and the timing not hosed up in Minecraft that I do actually making them.

I'm over halfway through my CS degree, by the way. If anything RedPower is less spergy because it actually does the sensible thing and puts all the common gates in one block, and lets you put wires on any surface or as blocks floating in midair, complete with covers to hide the wiring. It's much more sensible.

But I digress. They don't call it aspergite for no reason. Look what it's doing to me! :spergin:

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 28, 2011

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I just played around in creative mode and copied gates in YouTube videos. You get a sense of how it works. It's kind of cool having secret corridors running redstone wire all over the place and finding ways to hide it (like under bridges).

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'm over halfway through my CS degree, by the way. If anything RedPower is less spergy because it actually does the sensible thing and puts all the common gates in one block, and lets you put wires on any surface or as blocks floating in midair, complete with covers to hide the wiring. It's much more sensible.

I wish Notch would cut a deal with the Redpower guy and just integrate the mod into the game.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I studied CS for two years before failing out. For serious. I find redstone wiring to be ludicrously simple.

edit: Also gently caress slimes, I'm convinced they simply don't exist in game.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Redstone is simple if you understand logic gates.

Fitting redstone into a tight space is extremely spergy because of how redstone needs to be facing certain directions to power things.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Of all the things I'd like to see done with redstone, my biggest wish would be for the ability to wire up three dispensers/doors/what have you side-by side to one line of redstone instead of having to go through tons of inane bullshit to make sure the lines of redstone don't interact in any loving way.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
Man, I'd love it if dispensers could receive continuous current and use that as an indicator to fire .. continuously. I tried to hook up a dispenser to a lever and fill it with coal, only to learn at that point it wouldn't work. :(

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

A Sassy Dog posted:

Man, I'd love it if dispensers could receive continuous current and use that as an indicator to fire .. continuously. I tried to hook up a dispenser to a lever and fill it with coal, only to learn at that point it wouldn't work. :(

You have to use a clock to do that. There are some ways to do that using regular redstone on the wiki, but with RP you can just use a timer, which does the same thing only it takes up a single block and you can set how many pulses per second it fires, as much as 5 times per second.

Also 1.8 did something retarded and put a hard cap on how faster dispensers can fire. It's pretty slow, so between that and the way bows changed you can't really make TNT arrow bombs with any sort of ease anymore. Also rapid-fire arrow traps suck now.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I went for a CS degree for a while and I still think Redstone is terribly implemented and could be easily condensed/optimized. Minecraft is a game and most of my friends find redstone to be horribly un-fun. I'd love to see Mojang simplify it for folks that don't want to bother with all of the shenanigans it entails.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Vanderdeath posted:

I went for a CS degree for a while and I still think Redstone is terribly implemented and could be easily condensed/optimized. Minecraft is a game and most of my friends find redstone to be horribly un-fun. I'd love to see Mojang simplify it for folks that don't want to bother with all of the shenanigans it entails.

It's horrible, but wasn't it much worse earlier on?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

crazylakerfan posted:

Redstone is simple if you understand logic gates.

Fitting redstone into a tight space is extremely spergy because of how redstone needs to be facing certain directions to power things.

Yeah its not the logic that gets me, it the space limitation thats annoying the hell out of me.

But I did manage to build a four sided clocktower on my regular server to scare my friends on redstone. It only encouraged them to start using it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
My only redstone stuff was a lever that changed a minecart rail corner to change directions. :(
EDIT: Today I got my first "minecraft has run out of memory" error! yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The most complicated redstone thing I've ever built was actually... a clock hooked up to an AND-gate so that I had a lever that toggled a dispenser on and off, which would make it repeatedly shoot things instead of just once.