Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

It's horrible, but wasn't it much worse earlier on?

Yeah, back when there were no repeaters basically everything was twice as large to implement. Notch should just make redpower the default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Minecraft needs a spike block.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What do you want to do that cactus won't let you?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Another nice thing would be to have double doors conduct power to one another like powered rails do.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Drox posted:

Or lava!

Actually, the placement on cactus is really annoying, and it's quite easy to destroy. Lining a pit with it, for instance, doesn't really work. A spike block that had an iron component (for sturdiness) would be nice.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Drox posted:

Probably place a damaging block on walls, or just anything other than sand. Also style for spike pistons.

Murdershoe
May 8, 2009

dpbjinc posted:

For those of you wondering about ore distributions, I'm creating a spreadsheet that lists them and graphs them out. It will take a while, but I do have results on diamonds in 1.9pre (with structures on). Based on a map of 13413 chunks, roughly centered at the origin, there are about 2 diamonds per chunk now, which, if the wiki is correct, is about half what it used to be. Diamonds are still concentrated around lava level. Counting the lowest block as y = 0, most diamonds can be found at y values from 7 to 14, with slightly more at the higher end of that range.

In short: Yes, diamonds are rarer now. No, the optimal mining depth has not changed. For best results, mine directly above the lava layer (which still ends at y = 12). You'll find diamonds about 1 every 40 meters that way. You could mine one block lower for slightly more diamonds, but the increase is minuscule at that depth. You can be safer and mine a block higher for less chance of falling into lava, but your chances decrease to 1 in 45 meters.

thank you, i knew i wasn't going crazy.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

EightBit posted:

If you think redstone circuits are highly spergy, congratulations you're not a programmer and probably couldn't do it proficiently even if you went to school to get a CS degree.

Y'know, there's stuff I'm good at which you're probably completely inept at. So congratulations!!! Our respective educations took us down separate paths!!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I code daily and redstone is beyond me. :downs:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Montalvo posted:

You mean that when you code, you don't spread out a vast network of wires that can never cross under any circumstances, each one operated by a system of on/off switches that can alter the entire fundamental structure if they are misplaced just slightly?

How could there possibly be a more simple and elegant system than that? I bet you use Visual Basic or something :rolleyes:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Montalvo posted:

I'm a programmer and redstone is needlessly annoying to place and deal with.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Redstone isn't programming, it is integrated circuit design.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It is integrated stupid fart design

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
FOUND SLIMES! Haha how dumb they are so loving rare now. The sticky piston should be worth more than a diamond block.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Senator Woofington posted:

FOUND SLIMES! Haha how dumb they are so loving rare now. The sticky piston should be worth more than a diamond block.

Since their implementation, I have seen slimes once. If endermen were that rare, I'd still think they were cool and really interesting.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I found a slime spawning chunk just to the side of a ravine directly under my house. Find a slime? hollow that poo poo out.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

If they made any official changes to the way redstone works the top thing on my list would be insulated wires that you could place in a certain direction depending on which way you're facing (sort of like how repeaters work). That way you could run two redstone lines in parallel on adjacent blocks without them powering each other.

I know something like this exists in mods, but that would make redstone about a thousand times better in vanilla.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found a slime spawning chunk just to the side of a ravine directly under my house. Find a slime? hollow that poo poo out.

You did it wrong.

You want a floor at 6, two blocks of air, a floor at 9, two more air, floor at 12, two more air, and a floor at 15 (with two air). All fully lit.

Ideally, you do this in slime chunks without any caves at all, or you go and light all the caves in the chunk.

edit: fixed the numbers

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 29, 2011

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

xezton posted:

If they made any official changes to the way redstone works the top thing on my list would be insulated wires that you could place in a certain direction depending on which way you're facing (sort of like how repeaters work). That way you could run two redstone lines in parallel on adjacent blocks without them powering each other.

I know something like this exists in mods, but that would make redstone about a thousand times better in vanilla.

in crafting box 3 vertical redstone dust with 3 wool on each side

do it notch

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pseudorandom name posted:

It's more of massively-UNintegrated circuit design.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

You did it wrong.

You want a floor at 6, two blocks of air, a floor at 9, two more air, floor at 12, two more air, and a floor at 15 (with two air). All fully lit.

Ideally, you do this in slime chunks without any caves at all, or you go and light all the caves in the chunk.

edit: fixed the numbers

Good luck doing this with lava around. gently caress lava.

Also it costs a full diamond pick or more unless you're in a cave.

trandorian posted:

It's more of massively-UNintegrated circuit design.

It's also actually massive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Evek posted:

But I did manage to build a four sided clocktower on my regular server to scare my friends on redstone. It only encouraged them to start using it.

Is it a rotary clock or a digits clock? If you found a way to make feasible clock hands then I am incredibly envious.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

At the very least, you could do something with pistons raising/lowering blocks for the different hand positions.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

At the very least, you could do something with pistons raising/lowering blocks for the different hand positions.

With the new lighting system, you could pull some white blocks back with sticky pistons and get a deep black clock hand

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've never liked the slime spawning code. If he wants to make them just really rare, that's one thing, but the idea that there are only certain chunks, at random, which they'll spawn in? What's the point?
If he's trying to make slime spawns seem 'localized', that's a bad way to do it. Here's an idea: much like ravines, dungeons, and mineshafts, have slime pools/slime caves be randomized, generated terrain features. Anything from a viscous pool of green goo to just ooze dripping off the walls and ceilings to indicate "Hey, slimes spawn here!" and you're leagues better off than this wild snipe hunt.

Miijhal posted:

Of all the things I'd like to see done with redstone, my biggest wish would be for the ability to wire up three dispensers/doors/what have you side-by side to one line of redstone instead of having to go through tons of inane bullshit to make sure the lines of redstone don't interact in any loving way.
Well, at least redstone repeaters can do that now. You can at least have a line of pistons all go off without having to do loop-arounds.

Drox posted:

A block that damages enemies, but not players, would be nice. Or even mobs, but not items, so you could make a spike trap that doesn't destroy everything its victims drop.

RandyF
Oct 27, 2000

K100 W900 T800 C500
TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS!!!
I just found a point of land about 10m above and out into the ocean. Cool place for a lighthouse! Built a 40m high lighthouse and thought I made a perfect little lava catch pool and set a couple-three sourceblocks of lava up at the top. Next thing I know I have a 8x8x40m high lava pillar that flows all the way down into the ocean. So, I spend the next hour trying to tear it down with stone tools since that's all I have after dying so many times trying to take care of this thing... only about half-way down at the moment... lava waterfalls are a bitch. 40m-high perfectly vertical lava waterfalls are worse.

Krill Nye
Feb 25, 2010

Science rules!
Does anyone have the 1.7.3 server jar? I'm trying to find it, but I can't. I have some friends who want to play some mods that haven't been updated for 1.7.3 yet.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
all the redstone talk really got me into trying my hand at it. I tried to make a door that opens with a lever, with the cables hidden under the ground.
Didn't work because redstone placement is :wtc:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ArfJason posted:

all the redstone talk really got me into trying my hand at it. I tried to make a door that opens with a lever, with the cables hidden under the ground.
Didn't work because redstone placement is :wtc:

Did you use a redstone torch? Because that's pretty necessary.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Exactly. It's not that complicated, guys.

Oh, wait, I'll need to put a via right here.

gently caress me. :argh:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Exactly. It's not that complicated, guys.

Oh, wait, I'll need to put a via right here.

gently caress me. :argh:

This picture sums up so perfectly how goddamn retarded redstone implementation is.

I love building crazy redstone stuff, especially with pistons, but that doesn't mean I think it's a good system. It's loving worthless, and HUGE.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Taffer posted:

This picture sums up so perfectly how goddamn retarded redstone implementation is.

I love building crazy redstone stuff, especially with pistons, but that doesn't mean I think it's a good system. It's loving worthless, and HUGE.

It makes a lot more sense when you remember that despite being mostly air, redstone wire and redstone torches are blocks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The problem with redstone is that, while it works as a true-to-coding current system (for the most part) with inputs and outputs, each redstone ash pile takes up a block's worth of space, as do redstone torches. There's no way to make contraptions anything but 'huge and poorly disguised' because redstone just takes up too much drat space and micromanaging to be worth it for building design purposes.

EDIT: Dammit Vinigre you beat me to it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Did you use a redstone torch? Because that's pretty necessary.
Your avatar is me right now. Damned redstone torches, I even forgot they existed.

Vinigre posted:

It makes a lot more sense when you remember that despite being mostly air, redstone wire and redstone torches are blocks.
Yeah, this seems like a better way to approach them.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

CJacobs posted:

The problem with redstone is that, while it works as a true-to-coding current system (for the most part) with inputs and outputs, each redstone ash pile takes up a block's worth of space, as do redstone torches. There's no way to make contraptions anything but 'huge and poorly disguised' because redstone just takes up too much drat space and micromanaging to be worth it for building design purposes.

Which is why we need circuit blocks in vanilla, condense it all down to minimal space.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vinigre posted:

That doesn't make it any less retarded, or smaller.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Taffer posted:

I got a retracting piston door to work, the one where the piston being extended keeps the door closed, then when you hit the open button the pistons retract, and then sticky pistons grab them and pull them back out of the way. To get this to work I needed two 20x20 rooms (because I built in the air instead of on the ground). One housed the buttons and disguised the upstairs open and shut redstone lines. The other room housed all the redstone wiring, repeaters and torches needed to get this to all work right. A pain in the rear end for a single player world no one will ever see but me.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Taffer posted:

That doesn't make it any less retarded, or smaller.

Well, if it were implemented that way then at least you would be able to run signals vertically simply by stacking redstone blocks and it wouldn't always require a supporting surface underneath (this is often overlooked, but because of this requirement a single piece of redstone wire effectively consumes two cubic meters of space).

A mod I'd be interested in seeing (though I have no idea how to go about making it myself so I don't think I'll ever try) is to have blocks that are like cubic chunks themselves with conducting faces that you could modify (so, specifically, right clicking on such a block would make you take control of a robot inside a 14x14x14 space with solid redstone walls where you can build whatever redstone stuff you want connected to the six faces and then press "Esc" when done) and then after modification the block continues to perform all of the functions of the miniature stuff inside according to normal minecraft physics, just unseen. You could maybe also have features like right clicking on such a block with another such block in hand copies its functions so that then placing such blocks will start them off with the same stuff the other had internally.

Something like this is the only way I can see of retaining the few-component functionality of current redstone while making it smaller. Although I personally like the pre-made single-block gate ideas, I doubt they'll ever become standard because I think one of the reasons for the way redstone has been implemented is that you can in theory do anything with only two block types (repeaters weren't added until later) and suddenly increasing that by an order of magnitude for even just basic operators would seem like game clutter to those not using much redstone.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Lazyfire posted:

I got a retracting piston door to work, the one where the piston being extended keeps the door closed, then when you hit the open button the pistons retract, and then sticky pistons grab them and pull them back out of the way. To get this to work I needed two 20x20 rooms (because I built in the air instead of on the ground). One housed the buttons and disguised the upstairs open and shut redstone lines. The other room housed all the redstone wiring, repeaters and torches needed to get this to all work right. A pain in the rear end for a single player world no one will ever see but me.

I am finishing up a similar project. I've got a facade with the same hidden doorway with double retracting pistons, and my gimmick is that it's hiding a pathway built into a shrine. You have to throw an object into a well, which presses a pressure plate and opens the door.

The door works great, and I fit it all into an 8x8x8 space. The trouble is, the plate isn't pressed long enough to have the door open for a long enough time to enter. So now I have to figure out a good way to lengthen the signal. I'm thinking an AND gate with multiple inputs, each fitted with repeaters set to different delays. I figure I should be able to lengthen the signal enough to get maybe 10 or 15 seconds before the door closes again.

EDIT: Found the solution. It's these extenders.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Now that vines can attach to vertical surfaces, redstone really should too.