Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

mrpwase posted:

Aww, he brought me flowers. :3:

e: the fucker trampled my wheat :argh: gently caress endermen

HAHAH That'd be awesome of the new endermen don't mess with your structure blocks anymore, but have a preference for trampling your hard work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Bat Ham posted:

You know that wavy-world effect that you see when you go through Nether Portals? Dial that up a few notches.

Not mine, but shows it off if you put up with some darkness at the start.

Oh, he means literal, real-life nausea... :barf:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Switched.on posted:

Oh that's awesome. gently caress 'Oregon Trail', we should have long distance races where you have nothing but a wooden sword and a pile of nausea potions.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

mrpwase posted:

Aww, he brought me flowers. :3:

e: the fucker trampled my wheat :argh: gently caress endermen

He's just apologizing for trampling your wheat. He feels really bad about it and wanted to make up for it.

I like the new direction they're going with endermen. Making them a little bit more creepy rather than annoying.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Switched.on posted:

Yup. Totally gonna rebuild my pub on SMP and sell that poo poo.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

A Sassy Dog posted:

God dammit, I saw Jebs new post with the odd potion stand then read your post, imagined small diagrams on how to position certain potions together to properly combine them into something new. Saw beautiful, dimly lit alchemy labs under castles.

Now I want that.

Although awesome labs would be amazing, what I was really eluding too is the over complex and frustrating restone system. They will find a way to take something simple and turn it into an entire wiki section with different chemical mixture schematics taking up entire rooms.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That potion system is awesome. Water breathing, finally.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

FidgetyRat posted:

Although awesome labs would be amazing, what I was really eluding too is the over complex and frustrating restone system.

Boy, straight over the head.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Want to play hardcore without those pesky monsters? Just open another game, turn it to peaceful, then go back to your hardcore game and never risk a creeper explosion again!

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
What if you had to create a whole new table for alchemy, similar to a workbench but you can only craft potions onto it, maybe out of wooden planks, redstone, and glass. But wait, here's the cincher: In order to get desired effects for certain potions, you must place certain blocks on certain sides of the alchemy table. For example, place an obsidian block on the top side, glowstone block on the east-facing side, a snow block on the north-facing side, and a torch beneath it in order to get Suave Potion of Lava Resistance. Certain recipes should require a water block on certain sides and no air blocks available so you'd have to craft it entirely underwater. Some would even necessitate some creative and intuitive block-placing within LAVA! :supaburn: Also, potions crafted in the Nether would have different effects than those crafted in the Overworld, and their effects should change to something else entirely when brought from one dimension to the other. And the alchemy table, like the (useless) bookcase and glass blocks/panes, is unable to be mined once placed so you'd have to be very picky about where you want to put it.

Yes. I can see this happening.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Stupid Question.

I'm loving around with Redstone for the first time. Figured I'd do it in creative mode first before applying it in Survival. But I can't seem to find repeaters in the item list. Am I missing it, or is it just not there?

Edit: VVV Awesome! Thanks! VVV

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 30, 2011

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Stringbean posted:

Stupid Question.

I'm loving around with Redstone for the first time. Figured I'd do it in creative mode first before applying it in Survival. But I can't seem to find repeaters in the item list. Am I missing it, or is it just not there?

They are there near the bottom, right above all the dyes and such.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Enchanting! :3:

Notch posted:

How does enchanting work in Minecraft? Well, you open a magical book and pick a random spell, not quite sure knowing what it will do. MAGIC!

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011

wyoming posted:

Enchanting! :3:

From the looks of it, the recipe is probably 4 diamonds, a book, and four cobble. Too bad diamond is so drat rare now :argh:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I have yet to find a single diamond block in my current world. My hoard of exactly 7 diamonds has all come from mine/monster spawner chests.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

i am very excited about enchanting and minecraft meth labs.

Vatek posted:

I have yet to find a single diamond block in my current world. My hoard of exactly 7 diamonds has all come from mine/monster spawner chests.

thats pretty unlucky. Find a ravine and walk around in it for awhile. or turn on creative mode and give yourself a nice supply :P.

maybe there will be some way to turn spider eyes into diamonds.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 30, 2011

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Some thoughts about the new armor system: you should never build a helmet until after you've build everything else. Compared to other peices, helmets have a much lower ratio of unit of materials needed versus defense provided.
Likewise, always build a breast plate before building leggings. For using one extra item you get significantly higher defense.

The Snark posted:

Edit: Now that you have me thinking about it I confess I'm now having visions of a lab set up with equipment to pipe potions around, maybe rigged to dump them into holding cells to test their effects in unethical experiments on pigs, cows, zombies... Villagers....

I'm probably getting my hopes up for a simple chemistry set as it is however.

Don't worry, I'm sure someone will make a Mengele mod soon enough.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

And the alchemy table, like the (useless) bookcase and glass blocks/panes, is unable to be mined once placed

Last I checked, you could recover glass panes. I have no idea why.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 30, 2011

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Well, the brewing stand is certainly interesting looking (and I know the model is a work in progress), I'm still currently unsure how this makes knowing what potion you are making easier, unless you use the stand, put in several ingredients, the stand tells you what the result would be and then you confirm if this is what you want, adding two ingredients at time (three jars, two for brewing, third for finale potion).

At the very least it looks like Jeb will still keep the cauldron in, says you can fill it with water still, maybe they can re-purpose it as a storage for large quantities for a potion.

The enchanting table is rather nice looking.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Schwarzwald posted:

Last I checked, you could recover glass panes. I have no idea why.

It was fixed in this last pre-release glass panes do not drop anymore.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

It sounds like this next update will be huge. Potions; Enchanting; Animal husbandry.

Speaking of, was there any talk about putting in a use for the XP system?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

TalonDemonKing posted:

It sounds like this next update will be huge. Potions; Enchanting; Animal husbandry.

Skill Tree leveling system (expect that to not be out till 1.10, Notch and Jeb have been very quiet on this matter) and Notch says the enchanting table consumes exp.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Snark posted:

Haven't had a chance to play with the cauldrons, but everyone upset with cauldrons getting the boot really should consider certain wonderful alternatives...
You're right. Cauldrons were very visually appealing, emphasized the experimental nature of potion-brewing that I liked, and could make for great decorations. But their basic interface was clunky.
I don't know exactly what the alternative is going to be, but until I see it I should reserve judgement instead of assuming it'll be worse.

All I hope is that it doesn't reduce brewing to crafting table recipes and keeps in the nature of randomization and experimentation. And of course, looking cool couldn't hurt.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Looks like they're keeping the cauldrons as an aesthetic option at least.

Also:

Notch posted:

How does enchanting work in Minecraft? Well, you open a magical book and pick a random spell, not quite sure knowing what it will do. MAGIC!

Huh. Not sure about that, but when he was talking about potions I thought it would be much simpler.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

You're right. Cauldrons were very visually appealing, emphasized the experimental nature of potion-brewing that I liked, and could make for great decorations. But their basic interface was clunky.
I don't know exactly what the alternative is going to be, but until I see it I should reserve judgement instead of assuming it'll be worse.

All I hope is that it doesn't reduce brewing to crafting table recipes and keeps in the nature of randomization and experimentation. And of course, looking cool couldn't hurt.

That's a big thing. I like Terraria's system where you have multiple crafting tables for certain items. I think it makes it much more fun. I hope we see some other setups in minecraft to give a different "feel" for crafting other objects.

I kinda hope the cauldron can be kept for some use, though. It really is visually appealing and just having them around for visual effect would be nice.

Alternatively, it would be nice to move mushroom stews to cauldrons, as well as add meat stews.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

TalonDemonKing posted:

In 1.9, exp determines your score when you die, nothing else yet.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

That's a big thing. I like Terraria's system where you have multiple crafting tables for certain items. I think it makes it much more fun. I hope we see some other setups in minecraft to give a different "feel" for crafting other objects.

I kinda hope the cauldron can be kept for some use, though. It really is visually appealing and just having them around for visual effect would be nice.

Alternatively, it would be nice to move mushroom stews to cauldrons, as well as add meat stews.

I see cauldrons as a generic "cake block" for liquids. Throw down a cauldron & throw a liquid in & consume it in multiple draughts with a visual effect of the level going down. That'd be awesome.

I'd also love to have some way of crafting wool blocks into wool cloth like either glass panes or slabs (or both) to allow for way more decorating options. Reuse the existing textures & much of the code, I can't see it being too difficult, not accounting for my complete lack of knowledge regarding the internals.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

runsamok posted:

I see cauldrons as a generic "cake block" for liquids. Throw down a cauldron & throw a liquid in & consume it in multiple draughts with a visual effect of the level going down. That'd be awesome.

I'd also love to have some way of crafting wool blocks into wool cloth like either glass panes or slabs (or both) to allow for way more decorating options. Reuse the existing textures & much of the code, I can't see it being too difficult, not accounting for my complete lack of knowledge regarding the internals.

If cauldrons can hold more liquid (x16 buckets worth) and be dropped into minecarts like forges and chests, I can see this as completely awesome for certain sorts of large-scale constructions. Magma train!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

crazylakerfan posted:

Redstone is simple if you understand logic gates.

Fitting redstone into a tight space is extremely spergy because of how redstone needs to be facing certain directions to power things.

I think that's fun though, making secret underground logic rooms just to power stupid crap on the surface.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Senator Woofington posted:

It was fixed in this last pre-release glass panes do not drop anymore.

Really? That sucks rear end.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Cephalocidal posted:

If cauldrons can hold more liquid (x16 buckets worth) and be dropped into minecarts like forges and chests, I can see this as completely awesome for certain sorts of large-scale constructions. Magma train!

This would be the best thing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tinaun posted:

In 1.9, exp determines your score when you die, nothing else yet.
No use in the 1.9 prerelease maybe. Sounds like it'll have a use in the real thing:

Notch posted:

Working on Item Enchantments. It costs experience points. It's totally random. It has three tiers.

I have to say, besides the random part, it sounds like a pretty awesome way to make items more personal, which is fantastic.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like the new enchantment and potion tweets but I love them even more thanks to what they're doing to the official forums. So many people angry about them and how Notch is turning Minecraft into a joke, that they know how things in Minecraft are supposed to be cause they've played since way back in beta 1.4

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Jervas Dudley posted:

Huh. Not sure about that, but when he was talking about potions I thought it would be much simpler.

Makes me wonder about those turning page sounds on the 11 record...

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?
The alchemy system reminds me of Morrowind's, which is just great in my book. I'd rather the ingredients have positive and negative effects that have to be offset with other ingredients to get a "pure" good potion, but in a pinch you could get the desired good results with a couple bad side effects. Way more interesting than just combining two ingredients to always get the same result.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Honestly, the best thing that notch could put in would be being able to put your maps on the wall. I'd love to be able to compose a map of the world.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

King Crab posted:

Honestly, the best thing that notch could put in would be being able to put your maps on the wall. I'd love to be able to compose a map of the world.

Or some kind of map block you could create with 9 maps that, when placed, creates a map table that you can view. Bonus points if it's a little 3d projection of the actual landscape.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I like the new enchantment and potion tweets but I love them even more thanks to what they're doing to the official forums. So many people angry about them and how Notch is turning Minecraft into a joke, that they know how things in Minecraft are supposed to be cause they've played since way back in beta 1.4

Wait, what is notch doing to the offical forums?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

King Crab posted:

Combining a map and picture block into a wall map would be amazing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Enchantments costing experience points means there's a reason to kill monsters now.

It's weird, a mechanic I couldn't stand in D&D makes perfect sense and sounds awesome in Minecraft. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

TalonDemonKing posted:

Wait, what is notch doing to the offical forums?

Hopefully nuking and starting over with rules and good mods.