Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

This is Mojang working on Minecraft, features will get put in and taken out and re-implemented with a complete and polar opposite function from what they were originally intended to do. See: Books. Now that we know that bookcases are only for enchanting tables and will never ever ever ever be used for writing your own personal Minecraft journal into, I'm stuck with my Bulletin Board Dirt Walls Full O'Signs.

I really don't know why they haven't added in the ability to use paper sheets or books for writing yet. Modders have already done it - in fact you can 'read' them the way you read maps, by holding them in your character's POV and looking down at them. It's a tool that has even been used in some yogscast videos. It pretty much goes without saying how frustrating it is that mojang basically drags its feet on stuff that modders don't seem to have a problem putting in - even the simplest things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I haven't played 1.9 so my opinion may mean nothing here. Combat has just never made sense to me. Or maybe I am doing it wrong. Maybe you're supposed to get hit and you are supposed to go blow-for-blow with zombies until one of you dies. I mostly try to play evasive and not get hit at all. My problem is it seems like you swing into thin air, or a zombie just swings into thin air, and maybe you'll hit/get hit and maybe you won't. Because of this, I just avoid combat or use bows exclusively.

What I would change is adding some consistency to combat, where you actually have to connect with the enemies to land a hit and vice-versa. Change enemy attacks so they perform a physical swing so you can see when they are attacking and can evade the attack. Something other than getting hit by an enemy 2 squares away that you can't even hit and wondering how that even happened. If they are going to make enemies harder, combat should probably be improved upon. It's the only thing that irks me about Minecraft. :(

Pretty sure the idea is to avoid being hit by those you're hitting.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If he's playing SMP then he's closer to being right. You have to swing the sword like you're sending a shockwave at the enemies or else you trade hits.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It could be that he's planning to remove the infinite water thing, similar to how he put powered tracks in then removed the cart booster glitch.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PalmTreeFun posted:

If he's playing SMP then he's closer to being right. You have to swing the sword like you're sending a shockwave at the enemies or else you trade hits.

Yeah, that's probably more likely the case. I don't think I've ever been "hit" by a melee attack from 2+ blocks away in singleplayer.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I really wish Mojang would outright buy some of the ideas/mods from modders and properly add them into the game. There are so many mods out there that improve the quality of life of the base game that I find myself being rather annoyed when a new patch hit since that means all of the mods are out of date.

There's no reason why we don't have things as simple as redstone wire on walls or colored glass/lighting yet. Little insignificant things like that would be great and easy to implement but I'm starting to doubt if we'll even see alternate modes of transportation at this point.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Exactly. But it's hard to avoid attacks that sometimes hit you and sometimes don't. It just is not consistent. They are obviously working hard to add lots of great things for future releases. Tightening up combat would be a very welcomed addition to all of this.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Vanderdeath posted:

I really wish Mojang would outright buy some of the ideas/mods from modders and properly add them into the game. There are so many mods out there that improve the quality of life of the base game that I find myself being rather annoyed when a new patch hit since that means all of the mods are out of date.

There's no reason why we don't have things as simple as redstone wire on walls or colored glass/lighting yet. Little insignificant things like that would be great and easy to implement but I'm starting to doubt if we'll even see alternate modes of transportation at this point.

They seem to have STARTED doing SOME of that - pistons, for example.

If there's a means of getting all the mod content in multiplayer easily though that would solve all our problems. Just play on your ideal modded server instead of the vanilla game. I'd love an industrial/buildcraft server where we make massive factories.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Vanderdeath posted:

Unfortunately, this is the worst idea. If only because it'd give the already pretentious, entitled shits on the MinecraftForms a reason to whine or do something generally shittier than what we're already seeing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vib Rib posted:

Not anymore. Enemies got a lot stronger in the newest update.

Not in Easy, I'm pretty sure.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

trandorian posted:

Not in Easy, I'm pretty sure.
I'm playing on Easy and yes, they're way stronger.
Even the non-hostile mobs. A critical hit with a diamond sword isn't enough to kill a cow.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Insurrectum posted:

Courtesy of notch's twitter

This design needs a dispenser that shoots paper next to it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Times posted:

If there's a way to get plumbing to 'work' in the game so you can keep the cauldron constantly refilled that would be rad though.

Personally, I just use the water from my chicken condenser to fill potion bottles. It's a little gross if you think about it, so don't.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Droopy Goines posted:

This design needs a dispenser that shoots paper next to it.

Oh, cool, my white wool with leafy/glassy seat toilets can finally go.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fondue posted:

Hilarious! That's basically a cauldron, a hatch, a couple of stone blocks, and a lump of bread floating in the cauldron.

Of course it is, he pinched a loaf. :haw:

E: Ugh. SimCity 2000 flashback. I don't want to design a sewer system. Nor do I want to think of what Notch's idea of sewage would even be. You know there'd be at least a few potions that'd use sewage in a bottle...

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
That's "Better Than Wolves" you are thinking of.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Friends, Minecrafters, I have invented something incredible - a construct that allows you to 'latch' a redstone circuit with a button or pressure plate! That's right, all you do is, let's say, push a button once, and the device will remain on indefinitely! It's literally redstone with memory. But, you say, what if i want to switch it off? I have you covered - simply push the button again and the circuit turns off. Allow me to demonstrate this ingenious machine:

Currently the device we have the machine connected to - the torch - is off. We push the button, and the dispenser at the top fires an egg into the glass chamber. If it hatches, it falls to the bottom and activates a stone pressure plate! If it doesn't. . .

. . .A timer sends another pulse through to fire another egg, until the device is activated - the torch is lit.

When a chicken successfully hatches, the timer is broken by the piston.

As an aside, I ran out of chicken eggs during the testing process. Please don't let these ducks alter your opinions of this wondrous invention.

In any case, when the pressure plate activates, it connects another circuit and timer using this system here. . .

. . .Which, when the button is pressed again, activates the (patent pending) Chickeviscerator sub-system. The pistons retract one part of the glass chamber and allow an arrow to be fired from the lower dispenser. This piston door constantly opens and closes, keeping the chickens on the plate even as they are bombarded with lethally deadly arrows.

Yes, trademark Lethally Deadly Arrows.

And with the chicken gone, the device has switched off! The machine is successful!

This machine... I call it... THE C FLIP-FLOP

ArfJason posted:

Remember that time I posted about how Redstone is loving annoying and hard?
Of course you don't, but anyways, Redstone is still hard and annoying.

But boy is it loving awesome.

This is my very first redstone circuitry thingie and I'm so proud of it. Next I need to find out how to automate stuff.

EDIT: WHOOPS WRONG SCREENSHOT.
DOUBLE EDIT: Ahahaha, just put two repeaters with a delay connecting to each other, this is cool!
I'm currently making a tutorial on piston doors and other related poo poo which might be useful to you (when I complete it, anyway).

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Jeb is live-streaming himself playing a later build of 1.9v3. In this build he's been using the eye of ender to locate a stronghold. It flies into the air and points into the stronghold's general direction, and has a chance of disappearing after use.

http://www.twitch.tv/jebox

Edit: He just found one!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

UnCO3 posted:

Friends, Minecrafters, I have invented something incredible - a construct that allows you to 'latch' a redstone circuit with a button or pressure plate! That's right, all you do is, let's say, push a button once, and the device will remain on indefinitely! It's literally redstone with memory.

You haven't watched some of the more incredible redstone vids on Youtube, have you?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The point is that it's chicken powered.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Desperate Character posted:

Jeb is live-streaming himself playing a later build of 1.9v3. In this build he's been using the eye of ender to locate a stronghold. It flies into the air and points into the stronghold's general direction, and has a chance of disappearing after use.

http://www.twitch.tv/jebox

Edit: He just found one!

Jesus, did it really just take him four hits with a diamond sword to kill a zombie? How many hits does it take with a wooden one, then? :psyduck: We need a new set of weapon tiers if this is the case. Something Nether-based, presumably.

E: Oh, neat. Looks like you need 12 Ender Eyes total to activate the portal thing? I assume that's what was plugged into those blocks, anyway.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 9, 2011

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Maybe after this jeb will consider making strongholds easier to navigate? He's trying to find a portal room, but is just walking round in circles.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Maybe he'll fix the OpenGL memory leak now that he's finally experienced a crash from it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hahaha. He got to the portal room, said he was going to sleep and killed himself in lava.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
He found the portal room eventually (the portal blocks look different now! The new visuals kind of suggest you'll need lots of Eyes of Ender...) and promptly ended the stream. :arghfist::saddowns:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Exactly. But it's hard to avoid attacks that sometimes hit you and sometimes don't. It just is not consistent. They are obviously working hard to add lots of great things for future releases. Tightening up combat would be a very welcomed addition to all of this.

Wait, I'm confused, is the issue with hits not seeming to connect/getting hit from far away happening to you on SMP or SSP because I haven't had this issue in either case and if it is SMP you might want to end up blaming the server.

Either way, combat has been incredibly fun since 1.8, you just have to change how you do things and though 1.9 makes it take longer to down enemies, it is still easy. What I usually do is go sprinting at the enemy and do a jump hit on them, this gives me a chance of a critical strike while also throwing the enemy away from me sine I was dashing. If you keep sprinting the enemy has a harder time hitting you and if you feel they are getting to close for comfort, just sprint hit them to throw them away once more. With the changes that have been made to combat I have been finding myself throwing myself at the enemy all the time, even creepers, while pre-1.8 I would always hide and avoid, the changes to armor also make things a lot easier since iron is so abundant and easy to find right off the bat. The only thing I find a challenge in 1.9 are the Endermen, and since they are from the "final" dimension you access, it feels right, they are supposed to be harder.

My guess however is that the numbers for damage and defense will be tweaked just a little bit come 1.9 final release and that they are still trying to find a balance.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Here's some screenshots from the end of Jeb's stream. They added more chests to strongholds and the ender portal looks much neater:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sure, four straight-on hits with a diamond sword is what it takes, but if you do a dropping critical on them it only takes two.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChibiSoma posted:

Of course it is, he pinched a loaf. :haw:

E: Ugh. SimCity 2000 flashback. I don't want to design a sewer system. Nor do I want to think of what Notch's idea of sewage would even be. You know there'd be at least a few potions that'd use sewage in a bottle...

There were no sewers in 2000, pretty sure the only one with em is 4.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

trandorian posted:

OT, but there were water pipes in 2K.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

trandorian posted:

I'm like ninety nine percent certain you had to lay pipes in SimCity 2000.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mastiff posted:

I'm like ninety nine percent certain you had to lay pipes in SimCity 2000.

Yeah, but for water, not sewage.

You also only had to do that if you wanted a dense city. :eng101:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CaptainPoopsock posted:

No, it's perfectly consistent*, it's not like the game randomly changes the size of enemy hitboxes on you. It's just that the hitboxes they currently have aren't intuitive at all.

*Multiplayer excluded, but that's because of lag, not combat itself.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

trandorian posted:

Yeah, but for water, not sewage.

You also only had to do that if you wanted a dense city. :eng101:

I'm pretty sure there was no sewage system in SC4 either. Just water.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There was water from 2000 on, and garbage from 3000 on, and never any sewage.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Ender pearls have gone from being worthless to being one of the most valuable mob drops. That on top of Enderman becoming more dangerous and possibly more rare, might make Ender pearls the most valuable item in SMP.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Schwarzwald posted:

Ender pearls have gone from being worthless to being one of the most valuable mob drops. That on top of Enderman becoming more dangerous and possibly more rare, might make Ender pearls the most valuable item in SMP.

"Wanna trade 2EPs for an enchanted diamond pick?"
"2EPs? They're worth at least 5EPs"

Minecraft, now with SoJs.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just started playing minecraft again and my client runs out of memory(or just crashes) constantly. I have 4 gigs of ram so that shouldn't be an issue. Does anyone else have this problem?

I tried the fix in the OP with no luck.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

I just started playing minecraft again and my client runs out of memory(or just crashes) constantly. I have 4 gigs of ram so that shouldn't be an issue. Does anyone else have this problem?

I tried the fix in the OP with no luck.

Which fix? I'm betting you have a 64-bit OS and didn't grab 64-bit Java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Which fix? I'm betting you have a 64-bit OS and didn't grab 64-bit Java.

The shortcut fix, which doesn't always work and makes me crash, but default loader doesn't.

1.8 has horrible memory issues and I hope 1.9 fixed it (probably not)

If you're x64 os, get x64 java.
You can download Java 7 from oracle which improves performance as well.