Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

To be fair, MC was running like crap even while in indev. Especially on Huge (and probably Deep) maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The thing is there are only 32k max blocks per chunk, that is so loving trivial. 99% of blocks are static, they don't require any math beyond populating and z culling. Other people are making cube-based engine demos, some with full physics environments(!), and they don't have poo poo fps on good hardware. Minecraft has java and bad coding, both are a problem, but the bad coding is much worse.

Edit: infiniminer didn't have poo poo performance three years ago. It had the same issues to deal with, could deal with maps larger than the draw distance, and didn't have eleventy-million dollars for development.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 30, 2012

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Klyith posted:

The thing is there are only 32k max blocks per chunk, that is so loving trivial. 99% of blocks are static, they don't require any math beyond populating and z culling. Other people are making cube-based engine demos, some with full physics environments(!), and they don't have poo poo fps on good hardware. Minecraft has java and bad coding, both are a problem, but the bad coding is much worse.

That's what I keep on thinking about : there are tons of MC clones that run just fine, and often with larger map heights and/or smaller blocks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shnakepup posted:

That's what I keep on thinking about : there are tons of MC clones that run just fine, and often with larger map heights and/or smaller blocks.

Minecraft has always run "just fine" for me even when i had a 1.5 ghz core duo (not even core 2 duo) and a crappy AMD graphics card in my old laptop. I've never had a computer that didn't run it "just fine" besides a crappy netbook that didn't run anything well.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Klyith posted:

Edit: infiniminer didn't have poo poo performance three years ago. It had the same issues to deal with, could deal with maps larger than the draw distance, and didn't have eleventy-million dollars for development.

Infinfiminer had small, finite maps, and a drastically simpler amount of gameplay features. Plus, half the reason it ran so great is that it broke just about every rule of sensible client/server game coding by caching way more than it should about game state on the client which sped things up (true) but also made it way open to hacking. Took me all of an afternoon to run up a fly / phase through walls / see diamonds hack for that.

Talking to Zach who made Infiniminer about "fixing" it though, he said an interesting thing which was that it wasn't just unfinished it was basically a scratchpad for playing around with game design and wasn't destined to be made into a full game. Which is sort of what my feeling about Minecraft's been for a while - it's not that Notch's coding is as terrible as people make out but it has suffered from that same kind of scratch-pad development. It's a great way of learning but at some point the sensible thing to do is take the lessons you've learned and take a big virtual scythe to the codebase and cut out as much of the technical debt as you can.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Well, my minecraft clone is soon ready, got painterly terrain.png mapped onto a quad with transparency and all that stuff, see ya in 2 years when I'm 100 million dollars richer shitlords.

*edit*
Aight, as soon as those texture artifacts are gone I'm gonna start the alpha, prolly sell it for like 5 bucks,

click here for high resolution to awe and awww http://i.imgur.com/5BNFw.jpg

Bicehunter fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 30, 2012

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
StonedCraft?

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch
Can someone explain to me why the enchanting system is so abysmally loving retarded?

I've been playing Minecraft off and on for the past month or so, but I only today got things set up to where I had a nice big, permanent home and could set up an enchanting table plus the necessary 30 bookshelves. I figured I'd be able to choose the enchantments I want, or at least have some control over the process.

Instead, it's a total cypher, with illegible glyphs and an experience cost that doesn't seem to directly correlate to...anything. Why, in what is ostensibly an end-game process that should act as a reward, or triumphant moment for the player, is control totally wrested away, and the process made entirely arbitrary? The entire implementation of it is so mind-bendingly stupid that I literally cannot believe someone thought this was a good idea. I know redstone is idiotic in its implementation, but they're doing something fairly complex with that. Is the idea of X experience levels for Y enchantment so difficult to add/implement? Is this more of Notch's bullshit "indie charm"?

Seriously, is there a mod or something that changes this so there's more control over the process?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Sprite Based posted:

Can someone explain to me why the enchanting system is so abysmally loving retarded?

No, there is no way to explain the thought patterns of Notch.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Sprite Based posted:

Seriously, is there a mod or something that changes this so there's more control over the process?

Only a little. There's one mod that allows you to choose the exact amount of levels you have to use, and one that lets you disenchant items. At the cost of half its durability. And you only get an 80% experience refund.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Enchanting is even more hilarious, because to gather the experience points needed to enchant things, you have to spend a lot of time with Minecraft's terrible combat system.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Oggumogoggum posted:

Enchanting is even more hilarious, because to gather the experience points needed to enchant things, you have to spend a lot of time with Minecraft's terrible combat system.

You don't find punching spiders in the face fun?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Oggumogoggum posted:

Don't worry, the AI is being improved to make combat better.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I love reading this thread, it's like watching actual flagellants doing their thing

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Bicehunter posted:

Well, my minecraft clone is soon ready, got painterly terrain.png mapped onto a quad with transparency and all that stuff, see ya in 2 years when I'm 100 million dollars richer shitlords.

*edit*
Aight, as soon as those texture artifacts are gone I'm gonna start the alpha, prolly sell it for like 5 bucks,

This is like one of those Magic Eye pictures.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bicehunter posted:

*edit*

Did they add sailboats to the game?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Anyone know any good (or even better, Goon-related) hosting services in or near Japan? I tried connecting to the pubbie server of the one recommended before, but the lag was pretty bad. I guess an AU-based server would work well, too.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Meanwhile, at Mojang...

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sprite Based posted:

a starwar betamax posted:

Meanwhile, at Mojang...
There you go!

The API can't come soon enough, I love the game despite it's failings, but only because of how bukkit extends it and the promise of even more customization in the future.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
As much as I love complaining about Notch, I decided to show off a thing I made instead, enjoy.

Now Notch just needs to add orcs :v:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Azurius posted:

As much as I love complaining about Notch, I decided to show off a thing I made instead, enjoy.

(pictures)

Now Notch just needs to add orcs :v:

I feel like that's something out of WC3...nice build.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

D34THROW posted:

I feel like that's something out of WC3...nice build.

You are a terrible nerd, it is helms deep of course!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Azurius posted:

You are a terrible nerd, it is helms deep of course!

I haven't played WC3 since JROTC and drafting class in high school and I've never touched WoW, WC, or WC2. How am I to know? :P Or am I still off the mark?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

D34THROW posted:

I haven't played WC3 since JROTC and drafting class in high school and I've never touched WoW, WC, or WC2. How am I to know? :P Or am I still off the mark?

Lord of the Rings, man. The big battle in Two Towers.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The Helm's Deep custom map in WC3 was somewhat popular, to be fair.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
Ok ok ok so jungles are rad as hell

Found a cool seed that spawns you in or around a large jungle adjacent to a HUGE forest (no sacrificing cool jungle trees :woop:) and a sprawling prairie. Not pictured is the huge cave that goes on for frigging ever with three ravines, all contained generally under the jungle itself. This snapshot has got me interested in this game again, which is fairly loving herculean

Seed is ochre if anyone wants to try it out

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Lord of the Rings, man. The big battle in Two Towers.

That explains it. I've never been an LOTR fan. Saw the first two movies and they nearly put me to sleep.

the heebie-gbs posted:

Seed is ochre if anyone wants to try it out

Dammit, I just barely built my first enchanting table and brew stands in my first world since 1.8, and you have to go and post this. Must...not...abandon...

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Did they add sailboats to the game?

No, but they did add schooners.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

bango skank posted:

No, but they did add schooners.

I think, good sir, that you will find that a schooner is similar in purpose and structure as to that of a sailboat and that you, in turn, must have a cranium that is of less than average intelligence.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Bellend Sebastian posted:

I think, good sir, that you will find that a schooner is similar in purpose and structure as to that of a sailboat and that you, in turn, must have a cranium that is of less than average intelligence.

Are you aware that the Easter Bunny isn't real?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'd love if Minecraft had bigger vessels, like that Airship mod. I'd build a sailboat and just live in it, travelling from continent to continent and just annoy the wildlife.

Or a giant supertanker, so I can roleplay as the Smokers from that horrible Kevin Costner movie Waterworld.

Wartooth
May 31, 2011

Azurius posted:

Hey man, nice fort! But maybe you should reinforce or cover that culvert. It looks like a weak spot, a creeper might blow that poo poo up and let all the mobs in.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Iacen posted:

I'd love if Minecraft had bigger vessels, like that Airship mod. I'd build a sailboat and just live in it, travelling from continent to continent and just annoy the wildlife.

I'm constantly saying this.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Iacen posted:

Or a giant supertanker, so I can roleplay as the Smokers from that horrible Kevin Costner movie Waterworld.

They mentioned doing that at one point - vessels you could build onto. But it got dropped pretty early on. That would have been cool though, to build a houseboat.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

HauntedRobot posted:

They mentioned doing that at one point - vessels you could build onto. But it got dropped pretty early on. That would have been cool though, to build a houseboat.

I realize this isn't the modding thread, but I've been doing that exactly with the Zeppelin mod, since it has a boat controller. I build a big houseboat with tables, furnaces, chests, and just drive it around. Have to make sure it doesn't run aground when it gets shallow.

Anyway, I wonder if they don't abandon these things when they see the modders filling in the blanks they've left.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

meatsaw posted:

Anyway, I wonder if they don't abandon these things when they see the modders filling in the blanks they've left.

Notch said as much I think. Something like he feels a lack of motivation to do updates when he sees modders making a bunch of new features for the game.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Death Himself posted:

Notch said as much I think. Something like he feels a lack of motivation to do updates when he sees modders making a bunch of new features for the game.
Which should mean that a real mod API would be the primary focus for him instead of adding in poorly implemented features. And the giant circle of we need Jeb to finish the drat API already comes full circle so this game can really get going again.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

meatsaw posted:

I realize this isn't the modding thread, but I've been doing that exactly with the Zeppelin mod, since it has a boat controller. I build a big houseboat with tables, furnaces, chests, and just drive it around. Have to make sure it doesn't run aground when it gets shallow.

The Zepplin mod is so exactly what the game should do with boats and I don't know how it seems to be completely missing Jeb's attention. Especially with dispensers shooting fireballs now, the game's been screaming for cannon's and sailboats since day 1.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
I don't know if people still play adventure type maps but here's a thing I did. This was my first time making one of these so sorry if it's poo poo. Please tell me if I made a bunch of mistakes.

Download it to your personal computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Don't worry, the AI is being improved to make combat better.

They're giving zombies and skeletons more annoying AI while the player has no real advancements in dealing with enemies or avoiding them. I don't really see anything improved or better about that.