Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wolves are pretty bad. Villagers are debatable, but I don't like them because it seems like they said "eh, good enough" when they were still pretty solidly placeholder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

IronicDongz posted:

it seems like they said "eh, good enough" when they were still pretty solidly placeholder

This is the best review of Minecraft I've ever read :v:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

IronicDongz posted:

Wolves are pretty bad. Villagers are debatable, but I don't like them because it seems like they said "eh, good enough" when they were still pretty solidly placeholder

Wolves feel pretty tacked on too. Totally agree about villagers. They feel so unfinished. I wish they were more like legitimate RPG villages that could expand yourself. Perhaps even customize the village by deciding what kind of village it will grow into. Militaristic, agricultural, fishing, manufacturing, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man...I remember olde minecraft. I bought in very very shortly before alpha ended and beta began. Its so weird to me that I used to have to build giant pixel art out of netherrack and sand rather than colored wool.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Hu Fa Ted posted:

:hfive: buddy I remember when there was no multiplayer and it was you versus a planet the size of Jupiter. I still think dogs and villagers are dumb.

I remember when he was just some dev on tigsource and it cost me $10 pre order. People were flipping out about the final price and his idea of a lower price for the alpha.

notch 2010 posted:

:-O

It's about to hit 1000 sales in 24 hours. That's not sane.

It's kind of neat seeing how much the game stayed true to its original version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXIgAXGkgE

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I started playing a little before the Nether update. I remember my brother telling me about the possibility of torches being replaced with things that you had to keep lit or they'd go out, and I was dreading it. Not entirely sure why, considering I played on Peaceful mode because of my terrible laptop and its pitiful framerate, but eh. Because of said framerate, I watched X's LP of him visiting the Nether when it was added instead of trying it out myself first, and I had to turn my volume way down whenever he was in there because of the constant Ghast screaming. Man, that series taught me pretty much everything about the game. :3:

Old Minecraft is good for nostalgia, but I wouldn't really want to go back to it. Only one type of wood, noisy doors, no sprinting and no enchantments? Yeah, no thanks. I remember that huge hill I tried to clear out with nothing but iron shovels back in the day. I ended up just opening INVedit and giving myself a bunch of TNT to make the process go by faster. Enchantments are a godsend, even if they can be fiddly to get.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I remember running around a floating island map and wondering why the hell there were frog girls running around.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I started playing when you had two biomes: Snowy, and Not Snowy, and it was just a flag at map creation.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Building stuff on the old tiny creative multiplayer servers with a friend and nothing ever lasting 1 day before it was griefed full of holes.

When a single drop of water or lava would doom the entire world below the level it was dropped at as it got into a infinite loop of spreading to the nearest closet block until every block was filled.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 22, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I griefed when griefing actually meant something. Not this instant reset protect everything BS. Tears were shed, lives ruined.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I miss those days. I still remember playing all night on my favorite server and waking up in the morning and having to clean up all the griefer holes and water damage. A friend and I crafted some of the greatest hiding spots on that map. Hell, it shaped how I still build today. Even on friend's servers now I still build off underground with no visible entrance from the surface.

I also enjoyed griefing others too. :getin:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I griefed when griefing actually meant something. Not this instant reset protect everything BS. Tears were shed, lives ruined.

I used to play on a Goon server. This one time I spent two weeks building a giant tower from bedrock all the way to the top limit of the sky. Logged in the next morning and found it covered in lava from top to bottom.

This one memory will stick with me until the day I die.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I hosed up a goon server once. Maybe that was me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I used to play on a Goon server. This one time I spent two weeks building a giant tower from bedrock all the way to the top limit of the sky. Logged in the next morning and found it covered in lava from top to bottom.

This one memory will stick with me until the day I die.

The real trick is designing it with cunningly positioned tunnels and slopes so that, by extending or retracting a single piston, you can cover or uncover the tower with lava at will.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
I got into MC when you could only play it on the website.

Creative was the only mode, and the super tall falling maps were awesome.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I remember when searching for really cool seeds was something people did, back when terrain generation was mostly random and nonsensical. I miss that old terrain generation. Now it feels like if you've seen one world, you've seen them all. Back then, extreme hills were more navigable and often had big canyons to walk around in. Or you had the 404 Challenge where that gravel beach on the surface would give way and you fell into a cave that went down to diamond level, trying to survive down there as long as you could.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I remember when water was added to the browser version

When multiplayer finally came out and there were Lava Survival servers. There would be a timer of sorts at the top of the map holding back lava. After a set period of time for builders to build the lava would be released and it was a mad scramble to keep other players from burrowing into your base and flooding the whole thing with lava.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I think my favorite part of this UHC was Coestar's mic. When he would stalk someone all they would hear was the clicking. Clicking that would get closer and closer. Reminded me of the Jaws theme. I watched Seth's POV before their fight and had knowledge of Coestar's faulty mic. It got real tense real fast.

As for nostalgia chat what was that awesome seed everyone used? Was it Gargamel or something?

Travic fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 22, 2014

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Travic posted:

I think my favorite part of this UHC was Coestar's mic. When he would stalk someone all they would hear was the clicking. Clicking that would get closer and closer. Reminded me of the Jaws theme. I watched Seth's POV before their fight and had knowledge of Coestar's faulty mic. It got real tense real fast.

As for nostalgia chat what was that awesome seed everyone used? Was it Gargamel or something?

I think that one spawned you deep underground. I know there was a seed that did that and it was a challenge to escape without resources.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I remember the first time I hosted a server, I let some goons on it. One of them recorded a video and put it on youtube with the server information on the description. A few hours later my minecraft account was hacked and my password was changed, and then the person who did it went onto the server and poured lava all over everything. The server was only like 1 day old :iiam:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So The Wither has been unleashed on the console versions of Minecraft, I gotta ask, what in the hell is the point of spawning this guy? I hopped into creative mode to see what he is/does and he turned the area I spawned him in into rubble, then he proceeded to do nothing but carpet bomb pigs, horses and everything else ever.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I think you need to kill one to build beacons. Beacons give you small buffs within very small areas of effect.

So in conclusion there is no REAL reason to summon one outside of trying to see how fast you can kill it, I guess.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I'm feeling a touch nostalgic about minecraft right now just having re-watched the original Minecraft Interstate video (I'm pretty sure I found it in this thread) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asImTDkPWKA. What are the super nostalgic minecraft defining videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIhs8_m5qPc

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I remember trying minecraft out after hearing about this game randomly a few times. Thought I'd give it a shot.

Played for a few hours, dying to creepers and stuff. Then I promptly downloaded the Jolie Craft texture pack and never played in default minecraft textures ever again. :allears:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

enraged_camel posted:

To be fair, I can't think of any reason to make a tower like that other than to cover it in lava. Or water. Or both.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

ToastyPotato posted:

I think you need to kill one to build beacons. Beacons give you small buffs within very small areas of effect.

So in conclusion there is no REAL reason to summon one outside of trying to see how fast you can kill it, I guess.

"Small" buffs. (Permanent buffs inside the beacons moderate are of effect, basically all the beneficial potion effects plus Haste, which lets you mine things faster.)

If you want to do large-scale mining operations in vanilla (for whatever reason, flattening terrain, gaining resources for building, etc) then a beacon is basically a necessity. Efficiency V plus Haste II beacons means you can actually get the job done before your brain bleeds out your ears.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

IronicDongz posted:

Old Yogscast stuff before it turned into an awkward extended RP session and it was just a couple of british guys dicking around.
I actually really liked that.
"Blind" and mostly blind LPs are something I really love, the inexperience and learning is great to watch. They were fantastic about it.
But yeah, then it just became really hamfisted awkward lovely RPing.

ToastyPotato posted:

Wolves feel pretty tacked on too. Totally agree about villagers. They feel so unfinished. I wish they were more like legitimate RPG villages that could expand yourself. Perhaps even customize the village by deciding what kind of village it will grow into. Militaristic, agricultural, fishing, manufacturing, etc.
Millenaire was terrible made but it had a decent idea. Doing quests for villagers, resources for resources, making a stable home base populated by more than just fields of torches, etc. Terraria has some really rewarding building for me, even in singleplayer, because you move people in and you have a lot of furniture/decorative items, so it feels like a real little town you actually care about building up, and plus the villagers are actually useful. Minecraft should take some tips.
Or just Animal Crossing + Minecraft.

Serifina posted:

a beacon is basically a necessity
This is never true under any circumstances.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think they're talking about if you wanna dig out every block in an area all the way to bedrock(which is a stupid idea)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vib Rib posted:

"Blind" and mostly blind LPs are something I really love, the inexperience and learning is great to watch. They were fantastic about it.
Yeah, I meant I liked it best back when they were just dicking around not knowing how to do stuff.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, I meant I liked it best back when they were just dicking around not knowing how to do stuff.

Every once in a while I go back to this episode because the hilarity and reaction to things happening is too much.

"The Bomb" in their Voltz series is also a classic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is the video that got me to buy Minecraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBQ0MIpJsk&hd=1

edit: lol you fucker, no way

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

I think they're talking about if you wanna dig out every block in an area all the way to bedrock(which is a stupid idea)

I did this once on one of the previous incarnations of Wilson's server.

Except it was 3x3 chunks. And I built a tower to the build limit in the center chunk.

That took a while.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title

Vib Rib posted:

But yeah, then it just became really hamfisted awkward lovely RPing.

Millenaire was terrible made but it had a decent idea. Doing quests for villagers, resources for resources, making a stable home base populated by more than just fields of torches, etc. Terraria has some really rewarding building for me, even in singleplayer, because you move people in and you have a lot of furniture/decorative items, so it feels like a real little town you actually care about building up, and plus the villagers are actually useful. Minecraft should take some tips.
Or just Animal Crossing + Minecraft.

This is never true under any circumstances.

Were there any mods that did a better job then Millenaire?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

This is the video that got me to buy Minecraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBQ0MIpJsk&hd=1

edit: lol you fucker, no way

I think it got a lot of people to buy Minecraft. I got it after watching that video too.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Taffer posted:

I think it got a lot of people to buy Minecraft. I got it after watching that video too.

Aren't the Yogcast's videos considered to be significant contributing factor to the popularity of Minecraft? After all, they were pretty much the first guys to really "get big" through minecraft videos, kicking off the whole youtube fad based around it.

(Also yes I was one of the people who bought the game because of that as well)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nissir posted:

Were there any mods that did a better job then Millenaire?

MineVillage I think it's called. It's in yogbox, the villagers actually do crap and pay taxes, the miners actually mine stuff out. Shame it's an abandoned mod now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

VerdantSquire posted:

Aren't the Yogcast's videos considered to be significant contributing factor to the popularity of Minecraft?

I really doubt it

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

VerdantSquire posted:

Aren't the Yogcast's videos considered to be significant contributing factor to the popularity of Minecraft? After all, they were pretty much the first guys to really "get big" through minecraft videos, kicking off the whole youtube fad based around it.

(Also yes I was one of the people who bought the game because of that as well)

Yeah, absolutely. They were a huge part of MC going from a niche sperg game to a huge hit.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Certainly in popularizing the youtube craze of minecraft, but I wouldn't attribute them more influence than the sheer 'word of mouth' spread of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The entire aisle of Minecraft toys at Target isn't because of Simon and Lewis.

oddium fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 23, 2014