Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Well, you'll know one of the random things on it, anyway.
And even that you can only "re-roll" that by enchanting another item first. :psyduck
But yes, good ideas all: resources to target enchants (EnderIO does this with its enchanter), finite-cost repairs (because what's the loving point otherwise) inflated slightly by enchantments, and something I'd really like to see, upgradeable/additional enchants on already-enchanted items. It seems weird you have to do it all in one go or not at all; being able to add new or improved enchantments to existing magic items would go a long way. Or at least let us disenchant.

There are so many half-baked ideas and unfinished features lingering around the whole game feels almost surreal. A lot of things I take for granted because I usually play modded, but things like lapis lazuli and nether quartz are mostly useless in vanilla. There's lots of really desirable items in mods (ender pearls are the go-to "expense item", short of nether stars) but unmodded, many are worthless. There are a lot of worldgen things like jungle and desert temples, strongholds, one-room "dungeons" (what ever happened to those anyway? Just nothing, I guess.), and chances are you'll never even see them. You could play on a vanilla server for many, many hours and never see any of them. The only ones I ever run into with even remote regularity are chasms and sometimes mineshafts. If you didn't know about them, you could easily play to the point of exhaustion and never even get to the End or the Nether, and you wouldn't really miss much. Hell, play without NEI or the wiki and see how many items you miss out on completely. It's not like I'd have ever guessed you could make a compass.
Again, grab any aspect and you'll find something that'll make you ask "why did they do it that way??" Villages: breeding? Trading? Iron golem spawning? How about zombie attacks? The End: No in-game explanation of what to do with the rift portals. No map feature -- enjoy getting lost. KeepInventory off by default, so say goodbye to that pair of wings you searched hundreds of chunks for. Potions: like enchantments, kind of useless? The only ones I ever use are fire immunity and water breathing, and then only for specific tasks. I guess strength would help vs the Wither? Also the Wither: why? Beacons are poorly explained and not practical or useful.
Don't get me wrong, it's a testament to the game's whole lightning in a bottle appeal that it works so well even despite all the flaws, but some of these are, as Old Greg said, mind-boggling.

The fact that the 6-minute long ending text crawl is still in the game is proof enough of that.

I'm considering giving TerraFirmaCraft a try, despite warnings.

You can use pistons to shuffle bookcases in and out of range of the enchanting table and that will reroll the enchantments as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
That's something that always really annoyed me; Requiring x amount of bookcases around an enchanting table.

It's another one of those railroading things in a sandbox game. So everyone's going to take these decorative blocks and lay them out in almost the exact same way so they can use them for a function. How many times have you seen a player with an "enchanting room" which is the table surrounded by bookcases? Because you NEED to have it like that in order for it to work.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

You can use pistons to shuffle bookcases in and out of range of the enchanting table and that will reroll the enchantments as well

This is only partially true. Shuffling the books will change the enchants, due to different numbers of books being in range, but it will not re-roll the enchantment for a specific number of books.

i.e. if 7 bookcases in range gets you Bane of Arthropods III for your sword, 7 bookcases will only ever get you that until you enchant something else.

I've got a fully adjustable enchanting room for just this reason, so that I can min/max what I'm trying to get and then drop down to the lowest level useful enchant to stick on a book so I spend less XP shuffling the deck.

The book feature is a good one I think, especially that you can combine books to raise enchanting levels. Throwing a bunch of cheap Unbreaking I enchants on books to shuffle the deck works out OK as you can later combine all of them up to a single level III book to throw on whatever.

I'm with Vib Rib on a lot of that though. The big ones are beacons and disenchanting.

Beacons are a stone-cold bitch to get, cost a ton of resources, and don't do anything that potions can't for a fraction of the cost. If you want beacons to be the end game coolness, give them novel useful effects. Off the top of my head:
  • Mob protection - no mobs spawn in its area of effect
  • Satiety - you don't get hungry in its area of effect
  • Teleportation - you can teleport from one beacon to another that has the same type/number of items powering it (or add more item slots to be a key or something)
These would actually be useful and something I'd actually like to have around as opposed to just a pillar of light for the cool points and yeah I guess I can run fast too. :geno:

Disenchanting is the big one. On the Nameless server I've got a conjoined zombie/skeleton dungeon built into an XP grinder. I am drowning in random enchanted items. I would love to be able to stick an enchanted item and a book in an anvil and spend the XP needed to normally enchant said item with the enchants it has, but instead use that to pull its enchants off onto a book.

gently caress knows I don't need Protection III leather boots, but I'll gladly pull that off to stick on my diamond gear.

Hell, even make it so that you have to fully repair the enchanted item first before you can disenchant it if you want extra cost associated, but goddamn, that should be in the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vib Rib posted:

There are so many half-baked ideas and unfinished features lingering around the whole game feels almost surreal. A lot of things I take for granted because I usually play modded, but things like lapis lazuli and nether quartz are mostly useless in vanilla.
you can extend that to "the entire nether" tbqh

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I've played modded so long I honestly thought nether quartz was added by Tinker's Construct or Applied Energistics because what the hell else is it even for? :psyduck:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

chairface posted:

I've played modded so long I honestly thought nether quartz was added by Tinker's Construct or Applied Energistics because what the hell else is it even for? :psyduck:

Marble. :colbert:
Since other mods added marble so much earlier than vanilla did, and did it better, most of those still kept their own version of marble.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Tinkers is one of my favorite mods, like almost every mod, it is a tad more complicated than I would prefer. I just like building this massive device that does things, and then having all kinds of smaller things I can make with it, sometimes all at once. And then using those small things to make others things. It really puts the the craft in Minecraft for me. And it makes farming for materials more fulfilling. Dumping a full batch of ore into the smelter and having it fill is pleasing to me for some reason. Much better than vanilla smelting. It is also nice that there are usually extra materials to use, though I do think that is kind of where it gets a little less intuitive in most modpacks.

I am also a big fan of Harvestcraft for all the new crops to grow, but I have yet to see a modpack/set up that makes it both worth it and fun to grow a variety of foods. I have seen nutrition mods before, but most seem way more annoying than fun. I think more simple systems for saturation and some buffs would be good enough, instead of the crazier stuff like penalties for eating too much of the same thing, or needing to balance your nutrients...

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 8, 2016

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ToastyPotato posted:

Tinkers is one of my favorite mods, like almost every mod, it is a tad more complicated than I would prefer. I just like building this massive device that does things, and then having all kinds of smaller things I can make with it, sometimes all at once. And then using those small things to make others things. It really puts the the craft in Minecraft for me. And it makes farming for materials more fulfilling. Dumping a full batch of ore into the smelter and having it fill is pleasing to me for some reason. Much better than vanilla smelting. It is also nice that there are usually extra materials to use, though I do think that is kind of where it gets a little less intuitive in most modpacks.

I am also a big fan of Harvestcraft for all the new crops to grow, but I have yet to see a modpack/set up that makes it both worth it and fun to grow a variety of foods. I have seen nutrition mods before, but most seem way more annoying than fun. I think more simple systems for saturation and some buffs would be good enough, instead of the crazier stuff like penalties for eating too much of the same thing, or needing to balance your nutrients...

The 1.7.10 Pack is the closest I've seen to giving Pam's Harvestcraft purpose without a hunger mod, and it's just that there's quests in the HQM questbook for poo poo like a stack of supreme pizzas, a stack of mixed salads, some nutella, etc. I did Blightfall with Pam's and the hunger mod and it really just encourages you to tote around a bag of holding full of stacks of different food instead of a single stack of a single food. The 1.7.10 Pack does lose points for not having Cooking for Blockheads, which at least takes some of the hassle out of working with the Pam's stuff for making poo poo like dough where you need water in the recipe. Something's wrong with the food mod if I'm honestly rigging up a Cyclic Assembler to an Aqueous Accumulator to make loving dough.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

chairface posted:

The 1.7.10 Pack does lose points for not having Cooking for Blockheads, which at least takes some of the hassle out of working with the Pam's stuff for making poo poo like dough where you need water in the recipe. Something's wrong with the food mod if I'm honestly rigging up a Cyclic Assembler to an Aqueous Accumulator to make loving dough.

I fully admit you're correct but my setup for dough and salt for Agrarian Skies was like the perfect metaphor for modded Minecraft as a whole. Setting up complicated machinery for its own sake (or in this case one quest's sake) and nothing else, but drat is it a cool little machine.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

chairface posted:

The 1.7.10 Pack is the closest I've seen to giving Pam's Harvestcraft purpose without a hunger mod, and it's just that there's quests in the HQM questbook for poo poo like a stack of supreme pizzas, a stack of mixed salads, some nutella, etc. I did Blightfall with Pam's and the hunger mod and it really just encourages you to tote around a bag of holding full of stacks of different food instead of a single stack of a single food. The 1.7.10 Pack does lose points for not having Cooking for Blockheads, which at least takes some of the hassle out of working with the Pam's stuff for making poo poo like dough where you need water in the recipe. Something's wrong with the food mod if I'm honestly rigging up a Cyclic Assembler to an Aqueous Accumulator to make loving dough.

One time HQM quests seem more like a pointless chore than just having a small lunchbox of various different varieties of food. Pam's is garbo without Blockheads, but with it it can be strangely fulfilling to collect tons of different seeds and have a really big, varied garden/farm, with hunger getting easier and easier to take care of as you can make meals with more ingredients. The best combination i've found with it is when a mod adds near-instant health regen when you are at full shanks of hunger and have any amount of saturation, trading saturation for hearts (I have no idea which mod does this, I've just seen it in at least two modpacks) - then having high quality varied food is essentially a health potion and the diminishing returns on food makes it so you can't just get the equivalent of infinite healing potions out of a stack of bread. I'd rather make a variety of food than deal with making health/regeneration potions with vanilla brewing which is kind of rear end.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Wolpertinger posted:

when a mod adds near-instant health regen when you are at full shanks of hunger and have any amount of saturation, trading saturation for hearts (I have no idea which mod does this, I've just seen it in at least two modpacks)
As of 1.10 this is a vanilla feature. If your hunger is at maximum you trade saturation for hearts very quickly. A good reason to stock up on high-saturation meals via Pam's.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I always end up using Applied Energistics to auto-craft ~9 different PBJ sandwiches. High saturation & enough variety that I just eat them in sequence and never suffer from the diminishing returns. :shobon:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
The change to fireworks in the 16w50a snapshot is probably the most fun change I've experienced in the game for a good long while. If you trigger them while using an Elytra, they provide thrust.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

EricFate posted:

The change to fireworks in the 16w50a snapshot is probably the most fun change I've experienced in the game for a good long while. If you trigger them while using an Elytra, they provide thrust.

Can't wait for that to get rolled into the next update. Finally have something to do with all the gunpowder I've been hoarding for no good reason.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

EricFate posted:

Now you have a way to travel quickly and efficiently across the world endless void of unloaded chunks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Until of course your elytra breaks. Which brings us back to what a good idea that was.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Until of course your elytra breaks. Which brings us back to what a good idea that was.

Also, having a thing which can break and plummet you to your doom (and cost you a crazy endgame item), whose damage bar is impossible to see while it's in use is another stupid stupid thing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why are beetroots so loving bad

e: oh holy poo poo boats are so much better than they used to be though

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 19, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
are you loving kidding me

STOP

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kill them :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wanted to make my home base out of this village. why on earth do villagers rip out partially grown plants and put a new seed there randomly.

who on the dev team at mojang was playing minecraft and thought "you know, I'd really prefer it if villagers took away the progress my crops had towards growing, but only some of them, and replaced them, but with a random plant so my farmplots will be a patchwork of different plants growing at different times"

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 20, 2016

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

IronicDongz posted:

who on the dev team at mojang was playing minecraft and thought

Faulty assumption.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fuego Fish posted:

Faulty assumption.
Both parts, actually.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Hahaha, which? The thinking part?

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Arkitektbmw posted:

Hahaha, which? The thinking part?

Playing Minecraft or thinking.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I mean, it does fit with how villagers are so dumb they need the player's immediate intervention to stay alive, and even then it's a risky endeavor. I blame whatever catastrophe struck this alien world and wiped out civilization Mojang being lazy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mojang can barely manage to make combat work, AI is literally magic to them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
like why wouldn't they only plant in empty plots, first off
and why wouldn't they plant the same seeds as what's growing next to that plot.

also lmao

"how are we gonna fit the map in your hand with a shield, we gotta ship this build by morning"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Damnit I want to put end crystals around my base as decoration but I'd rather not blow up half the base with a single mistimed click.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

MikeJF posted:

Damnit I want to put end crystals around my base as decoration but I'd rather not blow up half the base with a single mistimed click.

I saw Xisuma do this on a hermitcraft video.
Seemed to work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsF6X2mZfDI

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

also lmao

"how are we gonna fit the map in your hand with a shield, we gotta ship this build by morning"

You should probably use an image host that works, like imgur.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Oh hey, they updated the Minecraft launcher so now it launches a launcher to launch the launcher so you can launch the game.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

It's an easter egg feature so you can obtain certain seeds without having to hunt for them. It's actually good and cool and something 99.9% of the playerbase will never encounter. Just make your farms so villagers can't walk to them.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CaptainCaveman posted:

Oh hey, they updated the Minecraft launcher so now it launches a launcher to launch the launcher so you can launch the game.

It's really irritating, it downloads it every 2nd time.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I like how I'm getting alerts that I can now download the 1.11 snapshot

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SugarAddict posted:

You should probably use an image host that works, like imgur.
not my fault that an image host died with no warning between when I posted that and you saw it

in other news elytra are fun but I wish they didn't have durability, or only lost durability at the end of flights

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

in other news elytra are fun but I wish they didn't have durability, or only lost durability at the end of flights

Unbreaking III + Mending is the only way to fly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unfortunately, Mending is a real arsehole to get. Ended up breeding villagers to get it and got lucky, but even so...

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

MikeJF posted:

Unfortunately, Mending is a real arsehole to get. Ended up breeding villagers to get it and got lucky, but even so...

An AFK fisher should turn it up within a few hours. Much faster than dealing with villagers breeding, growing up, and then locking out trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A block they should really have: the redstone projector. When it's receiving power, the block 5 blocks ahead of where it's facing is powered.

MonkeyMaker posted:

An AFK fisher should turn it up within a few hours. Much faster than dealing with villagers breeding, growing up, and then locking out trades.

It comes from librarians, so they're easily placated by paper.

Non-librarians found themselves mysteriously burning to death.