Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I traded with a cartogrpaher and ran 10k blocks and cleared out a woodland mansion which was also cool but pretty... empty. Are ocean monuments similar? What's next, ender dragon then the end? I've never made it this far :)

The mansion is good because you get one or two totems of undying, which are handy for elytra accidents.

Ocean monuments get you sponge, which is great if you want to clear out lots of water, otherwise I guess they're a bit pointless. They're at least more of a challenge to beat than a woodland mansion, what with all the water and everything.

Yeah go kill the dragon and spend a few minutes reading the ending text and then wish you could get those minutes of your life back :v:

ToastyPotato posted:

Well you probably shouldn't expect them to do tech support. It doesn't matter if other companies big and small, or even modders have run tech support. They are working on 8 platforms! MC is the most complicated software ever designed by man. That kind of service is for tiny, simple projects, like World of Warcraft or Hearthstone.

:v: This is Microsoft, maybe he needs to purchase a support contract!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ocean monuments are too annoying with the mining fatigue and yes, the water breathing if I was going to spend the effort needed to get sponges I would rather spend the effort just clearing out the ocean/water directly.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Buttcoin purse posted:

:v: This is Microsoft, maybe he needs to purchase a support contract!

:v: Will it be as bad as BOFH sees it?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Before the new water mechanics you could cheese monuments by laying out a couple stacks of ladders to provide easily accessible air pockets. They still suck, the entire concept is just a godawful, unfun mess of a 'challenge'.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Before the new water mechanics you could cheese monuments by laying out a couple stacks of ladders to provide easily accessible air pockets. They still suck, the entire concept is just a godawful, unfun mess of a 'challenge'.

The trick is to locate a monument, then go back to your base (or build a new base nearby). Fill up your entire inventory with sand, then return to the monument and start dropping sand around the monument to isolate it from the rest of the ocean.

After that, run in and search frantically for a sponge block. Get it and escape as quickly as you can, then return to base. Put the sponge in a furnace to dry it.

Now you use that sponge in the water to soak up a chunk of it. Return to base, put in furnace to dry it again. Repeat until all the water has been removed.

It's really simple. I don't understand why people would look at ocean monuments and consider them to be tedious.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just made water breathing potions and then went in and murdered the enemies

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Yall doing it wrong and should probably watch piropito do it, cus that is the correct way and i wont have it otherwise :colbert:

For reference, he clears an entire sea temple starting with like 2 sponges. Then after clearing everything he finds a secret room with a ton of sponges in it and exclaims it is great and everything is good now. Oh yeah he also trapped himself with no blocks in a hole while being mining fatigued.

LoL

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 10, 2018

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Jamesman posted:

The trick is to locate a monument, then go back to your base (or build a new base nearby). Fill up your entire inventory with sand, then return to the monument and start dropping sand around the monument to isolate it from the rest of the ocean.

After that, run in and search frantically for a sponge block. Get it and escape as quickly as you can, then return to base. Put the sponge in a furnace to dry it.

Now you use that sponge in the water to soak up a chunk of it. Return to base, put in furnace to dry it again. Repeat until all the water has been removed.

It's really simple. I don't understand why people would look at ocean monuments and consider them to be tedious.

I dont know man this looks and sounds tedious as all get out.

Like, doing it this way takes hours lmbo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
like literally you can just drink water breathing potions, put on depth strider boots, and then walk around in the temple and kill all the big guardians

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

heard u like girls posted:

I dont know man this looks and sounds tedious as all get out.

Like, doing it this way takes hours lmbo

:thejoke:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ayyyyy

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Cant help but take everything at face value here, Ive spent millions of hours doing stupid boring poo poo in vanilla and modded minecraft AMA i guess

Yall wanna setup a server and sponge some water temples

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just drink the water

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
When I cleared out an ocean monument I somehow managed to bring a cow with me that I kept in the first area I cleared of water, and would go back periodically for milk buckets until I found the Elder Guardian and killed it. I don't remember how I got the cow there, it was either from a spawn egg I got as loot from an MCDungeon-generated dungeon or a Spigot plugin that let us catch mobs in eggs.

I guess if I were doing it in pure vanilla I'd load up on milk buckets and take a couple trips to fill chests with them before getting started. Once the elder guardian is dead it's pretty simple.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You could also drag a cow over with a lead.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

IronicDongz posted:

You could also drag a cow over with a lead.

I guess you could also build a glass-encased railway into the monument and then transport a cow in that way. (It's glass-encased because that's the coolest way to do anything going underwater :colbert:)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Go in there with torches for temporary air bubbles and an invisibility potion and just kill the three dudes

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Go in there with torches for temporary air bubbles and an invisibility potion and just kill the three dudes

Does the torch thing still work with the new water physics?

Also I thought mining fatigue still triggered even if you were invisible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
is counteracting mining fatigue really the point of the invis potion there?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
No it's to kill the dudes

You gotta be able to tank some damage though, and have depth strider for chasing the fish

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

is counteracting mining fatigue really the point of the invis potion there?

For some reason I thought mining fatigue affected your attack too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

heard u like girls posted:

Yall doing it wrong and should probably watch piropito do it, cus that is the correct way and i wont have it otherwise :colbert:

For reference, he clears an entire sea temple starting with like 2 sponges. Then after clearing everything he finds a secret room with a ton of sponges in it and exclaims it is great and everything is good now. Oh yeah he also trapped himself with no blocks in a hole while being mining fatigued.

LoL

Haha, I just got caught up to his most recent video, saw the ocean monument one. When he started with the first sponge I thought 'there's no way he's going to brute force this thing'... then I remembered his bridge and settled in. Having to restore his game to a previous savestate due to the mining fatigue pit was pretty funny.

I also loved when he discovered coordinates and his first thought was I have built this bridge all wrong, better knock the whole thing down so it starts at X=0 . I do unironically like this guy though, his curiousity and methodical approach to figuring things out are good, and it's a chance to brush up on my Japanese.

It is going to be hilarious if he ever figures out how to summon the Wither though...

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Fortis posted:

When I cleared out an ocean monument I somehow managed to bring a cow with me that I kept in the first area I cleared of water, and would go back periodically for milk buckets until I found the Elder Guardian and killed it. I don't remember how I got the cow there, it was either from a spawn egg I got as loot from an MCDungeon-generated dungeon or a Spigot plugin that let us catch mobs in eggs.

I guess if I were doing it in pure vanilla I'd load up on milk buckets and take a couple trips to fill chests with them before getting started. Once the elder guardian is dead it's pretty simple.

I always had this plan that I would try to get a cow into a boat with me, hope that the guardians didn't kill it on the way, and then build a small "floating" base around the boat to protect it.

In the end, I didn't bother. I had an Efficiency V pickaxe, so the mining fatigue was tolerable without any milk so long as I wasn't trying to break much. I just broke about 8 blocks at various points around the outside of the temple and found and killed the elder guardians first. It helped when they swam right up to the walls and you could see a bit of them sticking out :v: I also had reasonably good armor so killing the elder guardians was easy.

I also had this plan of dropping TNT in through the top of the temple to get the first guardian but TNT seems to do nothing when it detonates under water. I guess my plan with the cow probably would have worked out just as well as that TNT plan.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
These seem like good plans. But banking on potions is hit or miss with how I hate searching the nether far and wide for a fortress.

I lucked out on my little island, as I dug down to the ocean floor, broke into a bit of a cave system while digging sideways, and found an end portal room from a stronghold. Explored it a bit more and found a mineshaft bisected with it.

Sometimes you roll natural 20s, but the ocean isn't warm here, so no turtles :(

Makes me just want to set it up how I want, and spawn some intial seed villagers and other wildlife

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah, infinite worlds are cool and all, but I’d accept Terraria-style limited worlds (as an option, mainly for single player) if it meant a guaranteed occurrence of each thing at least once within a reasonable distance from spawn. Getting a boring seed is the worst.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
AMIDST is still a thing right? It’s a newbie mistake to gen a new world without spending 5 hours finding a good seed first.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

AMIDST is still a thing right? It’s a newbie mistake to gen a new world without spending 5 hours finding a good seed first.

Pft, those 5 hours are better spent walking in a straight line and trying to make your way though forest and plains biomes in hopes of seeing something different and useful.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Vib Rib posted:

Just drink the water
Maybe a little obscure

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fortis posted:

Yeah, infinite worlds are cool and all, but I’d accept Terraria-style limited worlds (as an option, mainly for single player) if it meant a guaranteed occurrence of each thing at least once within a reasonable distance from spawn. Getting a boring seed is the worst.

This is why I appreciate the console versions of the game separately from the PC version. You get a way better sense of your surroundings. Like, eventually, you wouldn't need a map at all.

Looking forward to eventually getting a Switch and playing this with my wife.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is why I appreciate the console versions of the game separately from the PC version. You get a way better sense of your surroundings. Like, eventually, you wouldn't need a map at all.

I've never played the console versions, what is it exactly that they do better in this regard?

I think the landscape in the Java version tends to have enough variations that there are almost always unique terrain features that I eventually start to recognize, although I almost always use JourneyMap.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

I've never played the console versions, what is it exactly that they do better in this regard?

I think the landscape in the Java version tends to have enough variations that there are almost always unique terrain features that I eventually start to recognize, although I almost always use JourneyMap.

I should specify that as far as non-java versions, I've only played the Xbox360 and the Pocket Edition (briefly). The 360 version had a limitation of 864x864 blocks, in terms of area, which I agree is quite small. The Switch version (currently) is 3072x3072, which is far better, if it had to be limited.

Anyway, what I appreciated about the limited area was that the area felt more personal, more like an area you'd call home, because you really had to live with it. If your seed gave you a snowy forest in the NW corner, that'll always be there. I do love the infinite nature of the original, but I also loved how quickly the limited world felt lived in.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Granted, I'd absolute 100% always choose the larger map size (3072) over what I've used more (864),because I do love the space, but I don't always need infinite space.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
The one major thing infinite maps give you is essentially unlimited resources. I can't imagine how sad I'd be if I had to play in a finite map size and built amazing things and right before I finished some project I'd sunk 200 hours into I discovered that there simply wasn't enough diamond or whatever in the limited world for me to finish it.

Finite worlds are essentially an expiration date.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

The one major thing infinite maps give you is essentially unlimited resources. I can't imagine how sad I'd be if I had to play in a finite map size and built amazing things and right before I finished some project I'd sunk 200 hours into I discovered that there simply wasn't enough diamond or whatever in the limited world for me to finish it.

I guess I kind of look at it a bit like hardcore mode, in that it's all temporary. :shobon:

That being said, I think with 3072^2 (or even with the XB1 limit of 5k^2), it'll take you quite a while to run out of iron, for example. All moot if the Better Together update makes it infinite, even if only connected to a Realm or Win10 server.

That being said, can anyone verify that I'd be able to locally host an infinite world on my win10 laptop, and connect to that with the console version that's running the same version? Whenever I get a Switch plus that version, I'd love to still have access to the infinite worlds whenever I want, with a minimum of screwing around with the details.

Man, I'd really love is a Starbound-like system, where your items in your inventory stay with your character. Also, I'd love support for characters.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blasphemeral posted:

Not when you have things like infinite mobs spawning and dropping items, or villager trading. At the moment, sure, not EVERYTHING is renewable, but a lot is and could always be expanded.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe my appreciation for limited worlds comes from my tendency to wander off from my initial building spot in the original game. You definitely get that sense of taming and owning the land when you've only got some of it, vs just having a small percentage of a near infinite world.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It is going to be hilarious if he ever figures out how to summon the Wither though...

Agreed. He's gonna have to farm so many wither skulls too :rolldice:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Personally I'd love a limited world size -- configurable maybe, but the Skytouched modpack makes me think 2k * 2k is probably enough (even if most of that map is ocean, it has a lot of biome and landmark variety).
As for limited resources, this is something I saw a lot of back in InDev. Mushrooms, e.g., were non-renewable, so sometimes you'd have maybe 3-4 bowls of soup on your map and then they were just gone. A lot of things are farmable now, but obviously ores and similar resources on aren't.

I think a modpack built on a limited world size could be fun if it ensured a varied spawn/surroundings and gave you some way to make things renewable. EnvironmentalTech or endgame-gated Skyblock-style resource generation might work, even. Start producing your own ores late enough that they'd only really matter for non-vital projects that would risk expending natural deposits in the first place.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Blasphemeral posted:

Maybe a little obscure

The one with the vaping samurai was also pretty good.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

The 360 version had a limitation of 864x864 blocks, in terms of area, which I agree is quite small. The Switch version (currently) is 3072x3072, which is far better, if it had to be limited.
:stonk:

Maybe my appreciation for limited worlds comes from my tendency to wander off from my initial building spot in the original game. You definitely get that sense of taming and owning the land when you've only got some of it, vs just having a small percentage of a near infinite world.
I see, that makes sense. I like the fact that whenever I feel like exploring, there's always going to be somewhere new to explore. Who knows what I'll find? Okay we all know - I might find some interesting landscapes, and yet another temple or village or whatever - so there are definite limits to how "new" the experience might be. As opposed to how the small world makes you feel, the infinite world makes me feel small and insignificant, so it's realistic :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Personally I'd love a limited world size -- configurable maybe, but the Skytouched modpack makes me think 2k * 2k is probably enough (even if most of that map is ocean, it has a lot of biome and landmark variety).
As for limited resources, this is something I saw a lot of back in InDev. Mushrooms, e.g., were non-renewable, so sometimes you'd have maybe 3-4 bowls of soup on your map and then they were just gone. A lot of things are farmable now, but obviously ores and similar resources on aren't.

I think a modpack built on a limited world size could be fun if it ensured a varied spawn/surroundings and gave you some way to make things renewable. EnvironmentalTech or endgame-gated Skyblock-style resource generation might work, even. Start producing your own ores late enough that they'd only really matter for non-vital projects that would risk expending natural deposits in the first place.

You can easily limit the size yourself with the /worldborder command.