Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, weird, because I actually wrote this in the Switch thread yesterday:

Obviously, I'm not trying to dunk on you or anyone else who was confused by this, but rather Nintendo for literally just putting it out there that "Hey, Minecraft is on its way, everyone!"

Oh, that explains it. For some reason I already thought the Switch version had the cross-play but guess I was mistaken. Thanks for the clarification!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Been away from Minecraft for a while after playing it on 360 and then Xbox One, today I realised the latest bedrock edition had downloaded itself already so I gave it a try. I’m not a fan of the UI and I’m sure that’s a common complaint, but I don’t doubt I could get used to it.

However as far as I can tell it’s literally impossible to quit a world without saving, right? I only really play on survival and being able to quit without saving is very important for how I enjoy playing, meaning I can experiment with building poo poo and reload if I don’t like it, or go and explore without worrying about dying, or reload if I gently caress something up and half my farm is killed or otherwise destroyed. Am I better off sticking to the Xbox One edition and carrying on there or just sucking it up and starting anew on bedrock?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Butterfly Valley posted:

Been away from Minecraft for a while after playing it on 360 and then Xbox One, today I realised the latest bedrock edition had downloaded itself already so I gave it a try. I’m not a fan of the UI and I’m sure that’s a common complaint, but I don’t doubt I could get used to it.

However as far as I can tell it’s literally impossible to quit a world without saving, right? I only really play on survival and being able to quit without saving is very important for how I enjoy playing, meaning I can experiment with building poo poo and reload if I don’t like it, or go and explore without worrying about dying, or reload if I gently caress something up and half my farm is killed or otherwise destroyed. Am I better off sticking to the Xbox One edition and carrying on there or just sucking it up and starting anew on bedrock?

If you're playing on Xbox One, aren't you already playing the Bedrock Edition?

Edit: did you mean 360 version?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
No, I have the Xbox One edition on disc installed separately to the new version which presumably downloaded itself automatically because I satisfied the requirements for it (playing 5 hours in the last year)

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah ok, I thought I was missing something because of the post from CJacobs about the torches, considering he (she? They?) just finally managed to get the Win10 version running.

Holy shiiiiiiiit I need a controller for the mobile version. :negative:

I just got an 8bitdo SN30 Pro. It's awesome and perfect for mobile Minecraft. But it only works with Android, not iOS.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Samila posted:

I just got an 8bitdo SN30 Pro. It's awesome and perfect for mobile Minecraft. But it only works with Android, not iOS.

Well, I guess for the millionth time, I'm thankful I went Android :smug:

Seriously, thanks for letting me know.

Any issues with it? Weird disconnects? Discomfort?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 17, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Samila posted:

Whoa, I was just looking up this controller, not for MC though. How does it feel compared to a real SNES controller? How is the dpad and the buttons? Nintendo Dpads are typically regarded as some of the best ever, but I think they had copyrighted their designs which is why most other dpads are not as good. Also, the shoulder buttons are doubled right? Are they prone to misclicks due to how close they are/the thin profile?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Well, I've only been using it for a few hours total so far, so I feel like my review doesn't really have much weight.

My initial impression is that the SN30 Pro seems a very nice reproduction with some well designed additions. The joysticks and triggers feel like they belong, and are comfortable to use (at least with my small girlish hands).

I haven't fully tested diagonals on the D-pad yet, but the D-pad itself feels great. And obviously I can't speak about longevity yet, but so far I haven't had any issues with it, and I'm very pleased with the quality of it.

I've also used the F30 Pro version, which was OK, but I definitely prefer the stacked triggers on the SN30 versus the side-by-side triggers on the F30/N30.

There's a phone clip for it if that's your thing. I didn't get it because I have a Galaxy Note 8 and I felt like it would just make the controller ridiculously heavy and unbalanced.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Samila posted:

Well, I've only been using it for a few hours total so far, so I feel like my review doesn't really have much weight.

My initial impression is that the SN30 Pro seems a very nice reproduction with some well designed additions. The joysticks and triggers feel like they belong, and are comfortable to use (at least with my small girlish hands).

I haven't fully tested diagonals on the D-pad yet, but the D-pad itself feels great. And obviously I can't speak about longevity yet, but so far I haven't had any issues with it, and I'm very pleased with the quality of it.

I've also used the F30 Pro version, which was OK, but I definitely prefer the stacked triggers on the SN30 versus the side-by-side triggers on the F30/N30.

There's a phone clip for it if that's your thing. I didn't get it because I have a Galaxy Note 8 and I felt like it would just make the controller ridiculously heavy and unbalanced.

Thanks for this! A friend of mine has one, got the phone clip, too, and while he loves the controller, apparently the clip is garbage.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Wasn't sure if I should ask this in the Switch thread or here, but here goes. I have the Bedrock Minecraft for Switch as well as Windows 10. I'm signed in to my XBL account on both, but the world I was playing on the Switch isn't available to me in Windows 10. Is that even a feature or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Found it on https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-titles/minecraft-windows-10-edition-faq#52be10f05db444689ece86c55e654a9a

That site posted:

I'm an existing Xbox or Windows Phone player. Can I transfer my existing Minecraft worlds to Windows 10?

The Windows 10 Edition does not currently support the transferring of worlds from other devices.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 24, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, unfortunately, while you're able to play on the same realm together from any platform running Bedrock (aside from PS4), the saves/world's themselves to don't transfer over :smith:

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'm looking into spooling up an AWS instance and keep it running when I want to play Minecraft, just so I can have a persistent world that I can play on whatever device... But it looks like the Switch can't connect to servers at launch but that will be patched in a few weeks. Has it been mentioned if Switch will ever be able to connect to custom private servers or just partnered servers?

It's also looking like there's not actually a server software for this "Better Together" edition (just Java edition)? That's weird, isn't it?

EDIT: I totally forgot that my avatar is a creeper. It's been loving years since I've played Minecraft. The Switch edition has pulled me out of retirement. I'm just looking at how to do all this because tonight's the one night out of the last year where my wife actually felt like playing with the Switch. Go figure.

EDIT2: I guess I could just get the cheap 2-player realm, as that seems to be available for Switch and Windows 10? gently caress, they went and made Minecraft super confusing.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 24, 2018

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

lol, PiroPito just discovered that hoppers transfer items, but I'm not sure he figured out that the first case was because of the direction it was pushing and the second case was because of the pulling from above rule. It will be fun/painful to watch him try to reverse engineer those two rules!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Macintosh HD posted:

I'm looking into spooling up an AWS instance and keep it running when I want to play Minecraft, just so I can have a persistent world that I can play on whatever device... But it looks like the Switch can't connect to servers at launch but that will be patched in a few weeks. Has it been mentioned if Switch will ever be able to connect to custom private servers or just partnered servers?

It's also looking like there's not actually a server software for this "Better Together" edition (just Java edition)? That's weird, isn't it?

EDIT: I totally forgot that my avatar is a creeper. It's been loving years since I've played Minecraft. The Switch edition has pulled me out of retirement. I'm just looking at how to do all this because tonight's the one night out of the last year where my wife actually felt like playing with the Switch. Go figure.

EDIT2: I guess I could just get the cheap 2-player realm, as that seems to be available for Switch and Windows 10? gently caress, they went and made Minecraft super confusing.

Ok, so aside from the Switch version needing a patch (I wasn't aware of that), ideally, any platform running the Better Together update (again, minus the PS4), can connect to anyone else running the same version, provided that they've allowed themselves to be joinable. Everyone needs to be logged in to XBL, but you're essentially always running a multiplayer instance. So, this is in some ways better than the Java edition, at least for those of us who don't want to bother having a separate PC running a server; think about it like now, everyone is essentially open to LAN, like on Java, unless they specifically restrict people joining them. Sure, the world will only be joinable when the host is online, but holy poo poo, is multiplayer much easier to get going nowadays.

Realms are just paid, persistent worlds, like how servers are on java. I'm sure there's some way that you can get one going, yourself, but I haven't looked into it.

Speaking of, there's a goon server that'd running on the Better Together / Bedrock version, and I'm sure you'd be welcome to join us.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844074

C'mon in! Even if you don't care about playing with goons, specifically, you should still hop on, as even the regulars mainly stick to their own thing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This was really cute and the fact that he's down to such short videos now really made me want to see where he goes next with this new information and being dribbled the content in such small chunks is painful. Figuring out slowly how different redstone components work has been really entertaining. The cuts he does for the little horror segments is pretty entertaining too.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Looks like Switch can't connect to realms yet, either.

The only reason I might be looking into multiplayer is just to host a world for myself. It seems so backwards to make progress on two different offline worlds. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Macintosh HD posted:

Looks like Switch can't connect to realms yet, either.

The only reason I might be looking into multiplayer is just to host a world for myself. It seems so backwards to make progress on two different offline worlds. :(

Ah, ok. That sucks that the main point of the update still doesn't work. I hope they patch it soon :smith:

Edit: so you're saying that you can't connect at all? I ask because I'm not finding any articles on this not working. I haven't been able to watch this whole video yet, but I think he shows off the cross play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d350SYg6EoA

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 24, 2018

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Crossplay works via peer-to-per but the Switch version can’t connect to realms or private servers.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
What the gently caress is the point of refactoring resource pack file names at this point in Minecraft's development? Even after changing basically every texture filename between 1.12.2 and the 1.13 snapshots, 1.13-pre3 (maybe pre2 which I skipped) changes the 'textures/blocks' and 'textures/items' folders to 'textures/block' and 'textures/items' after what... five years of them being blocks and items? And for no reason whatsoever, farmland_wet is now farmland_moist. I mean, I'm glad 1.13 does not in fact break resource packs but changing the filenames seems like busywork for resource pack makers more than anything.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Fortis posted:

What the gently caress is the point of refactoring resource pack file names at this point in Minecraft's development?

Preference. And maybe a bit of ego mixed in.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They should re-code the game from scratch with all their preferences included

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
That is likely to be better than with Notch's preferences mixed in.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
question:

Is it possible to somehow pull my niece's minecraft town she made on her ipad and get it into my windows 10 pc, and view the town in VR on my WMR headset ?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So it looks like Realms is available on Switch. However, selecting Create New Realm will give an error that it can't connect to the store. I'm guessing the store needs to update.

I'm seeing that it says you can upload your world to your Realm.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Aquatic update 2 just released today. It's rolling out all day apparently so if you don't have it now, then you should get it by the end of the day. I sure wish they'd give us an early game solution for water breathing so we don't have to pray to RNG to get the potions/enchantments that enable water breathing far later into the game. Or am I missing something?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Realms it out for Switch! This is amazing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Just booted it up for Win10.

Ocean zombies

Turtles

Note that I'm using the City resource pack so that will affect the look somewhat.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
So Aquatic isn't out for Java Minecraft?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Plastik posted:

Not yet, PreRelease 7 just came out, though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Plastik posted:

The first Aquatic isn't out for Java, not to mention the update that came out for the Better Together today. Hopefully they will combine the two updates for Java but I haven't been playing the Java release candidates, so I couldn't tell you.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Oh, that's weird, did drowned just get added to Win 10? I already had a few enchanted books with enchantments for tridents and was wondering why the hell I never found any drowned to get one from, now I know.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So with this update what is the win10 version missing over Java? Cause it seems that this was a big jump forward to get me to switch over, with the exception of local server hosting.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

mods? The ability to hold stuff in your off hand? Redstone that works the same as YT video tutorials?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Nuevo posted:

Oh, that's weird, did drowned just get added to Win 10? I already had a few enchanted books with enchantments for tridents and was wondering why the hell I never found any drowned to get one from, now I know.

Ocean Zombies got added yesterday, thought Drowned were already in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This email I got from Curse doesn't have anything to do with the actual game, just the forum, right? That's the implication but I don't really know what this has to do with anything or why I got it because I don't have a Minecraft Forum account. I cannot stand Curse and will not interact with their network under any circumstance so if this doesn't affect my ability to play the game then I'm just gonna ignore it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
There really isn't a Curse anymore, it's just Twitch now isn't it?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

There really isn't a Curse anymore, it's just Twitch now isn't it?

It still exists, it's just being slowly phased out. It'll be a while before CurseForge goes away.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Also unless you play modded Minecraft you don't really have to worry about curse/twitch, as your Mojang account is separate from that.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Lorini posted:

Ocean Zombies got added yesterday, thought Drowned were already in.

Drowned == ocean zombies (though land zombies can convert)

And no, zombies and skeletons both swam up until this latest update, now they sink. I gotta get to thinking on how to rework both my zombie and skeleton XP farms now, the water elevator drop trap is a no-go.

Not sure I want to attempt some kind of lava-then-water mostly-killer or a collection pit with timed suffocation block piston. :engleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What is a decent cheap server host? Any goons that offer the service? Players would be 4-6 with a small kitchen sink modpack of mostly QoL mods