Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Akliz.net is reliable and what I've used forever. I have a server that has 4-6 people at most. We are running spigot with maybe 12 or so mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

https://imgur.com/gallery/p4oqDyB

An imgur gallery of the old Retribution/History of the World thread server.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone know if there are any plans to allow keyboard support for the Switch version? I prefer controller control but it would be nice to be able to type chat with my friends.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm hearing that the 18th is when we're getting the Update Aquatic on Java. Exciting!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
You can swim from waterlogged areas into dry 1x1 passages and "swim" through them. I hope they don't consider it a bug and fix it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fortis posted:

You can swim from waterlogged areas into dry 1x1 passages and "swim" through them. I hope they don't consider it a bug and fix it.

I don't understand what I'm looking at here. Mostly in how the bounds of the water are showing up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ceiling Steve is watching you masturbate.

The blocks around the 1x1 are waterlogged, possibly slabs or stairs but I don't recognize the texture. Right now you can see water on the underside of most waterlogged blocks, which is what's causing that effect.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It's a third person view from a flooded cave that I dug a 2x1x1 passage out of the ceiling from up and to the side. I'm in the passage looking back down into the flooded cave; those are actually solid stone blocks, you can just see the surface of the water because that's how it gets if there's air above it. If you swim (dash underwater) at a passage like that you can fit into it, since swimming lets you fit in 1x1 passages. The thing is it lets this happen even if the 1x1 space isn't flooded, so you can effectively crawl through dry tight spaces if you enter them by swimming.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They just released a release candidate where they said if everything goes well, MC Java will be released on Wednesday. Well for me, it immediately crashes and I'm not running any mods.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

1.13 just went live. Worried about journeymap, are there any other good mapping mods for MC?

https://twitter.com/JourneyMapMod

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Lorini posted:

1.13 just went live. Worried about journeymap, are there any other good mapping mods for MC?

https://twitter.com/JourneyMapMod

Try Xaero's Minimap, the creator is active, although they haven't yet acknowledged the new Minecraft update.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks! Although I guess it doesn't really matter just yet as the Forge dev has indicated it'll be awhile for an updated Forge.

From MC dev:

quote:

Server owners: you can now force upgrade your entire world to 1.13 format by passing in --forceUpgrade to the server jar. This is irreversible though, so backup first! It's also optional, we'll convert as people play otherwise.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 18, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well the game itself has a partial solution for the map issue. You can now put named banners on maps.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

nvm fixed.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 19, 2018

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is there any interest in a vanilla 1.13 server? I'm debating hosting one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean I'd dick around on it a bit here and there but I'll probably vanish after the first week or two

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I ended up doing it. Here's the thread if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864082

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I just tried out the windows 10 edition of the game and it's leagues better than the Java version, in the Java version the game sometimes stutters when destroying and putting down blocks and has a variable framerate and I can forget about putting the draw distance up, but in the windows 10 version I can put everything to max (including draw distance) and it runs real smooth no matter what I'm doing in the game.

I had no idea there was such a big difference, the last time I tried the windows 10 version (when it was basically new) it had a bunch of issues and it was not feature complete, at this point I'm wondering why they're even bothering with the Java version.

I guess it's because Microsoft doesn't want to port the game to Mac and Linux which is sad because it seems so much better, especially now that it has all the features from the Java edition.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the windows 10 edition has massive, major, bordering-on-game-breaking mob spawning issues and has for well over a year. these issues have gotten even worse since the aquatic update. it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

it's doubly frustrating since in every single other aspect, the windows 10/bedrock version is indeed way the hell better than java, but this one thing that is hosed up is really, really hosed up and really hobbles the regular gameplay loop.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the windows 10 edition has massive, major, bordering-on-game-breaking mob spawning issues and has for well over a year. these issues have gotten even worse since the aquatic update. it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

it's doubly frustrating since in every single other aspect, the windows 10/bedrock version is indeed way the hell better than java, but this one thing that is hosed up is really, really hosed up and really hobbles the regular gameplay loop.

What are the issues exactly, is it something I can live with?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kamrat posted:

What are the issues exactly, is it something I can live with?

crosspostin':

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

basically, mobs don't spawn correctly anywhere that has a roof after the initial spawn. what i mean is, the first time anyone visits an area, mobs will spawn in properly, but after that they simply don't. this can be easily demonstrated by finding an unlit cave, killing all the monsters and then coming back later with the cave still unlit - it will be totally empty. this means that, for example, guardian farms are impossible. i spent many hours draining the ocean around a monument to build a guardian farm before finding any of this out, and furthermore, it also means other common farms, like witch farms and endermen farms in the end, will not work, and likewise it means that the nether is largely empty most of the time. this has been an issue in this version of minecraft since may of 2017 and bafflingly still has not been fixed. mojang has claimed this is due to them trying to balance spawning so not too many monsters are spawning on mobile, but this claim is instantly shown to be bullshit by the fact that at night, a massive shitload of mobs do spawn above ground. it's more likely connected to the absolutely fuckterrible decision they made to have mobs never, ever despawn, ever - so the mobs that all spawned underground during the extremely long expedition that myself, ramenpower and another player did thousands upon thousands of blocks through the world are all still there. this also has the knock-on effect of mobs that should not be present in daytime, still existing as they never despawned, and as they are unloaded the sun doesn't kill them, leaving them free to massacre new players in broad daylight who are simply looking around for a place to live. not to mention the hordes of creepers everywhere.

it's a shame because in most other regards, bedrock is far superior to java, but the mob spawning issue is kind of a giant problem because it totally fucks up quite a few aspects of the gameplay loop most people are familiar with and enjoy in minecraft.

so for example, you want a slime farm? you're hosed, have fun going through swamps during full moons 'cause that's your best bet now to find slimes. want to get some magma cream and ghast tears for potions? good fuckin' luck to ya. and enjoy getting creepersploded in the middle of the day when you revisit an area you have not been to for weeks because the creeper that spawned there at night never despawned or moved from its last position.

oh but there is one thing i left out: passive mobs do despawn, and they'll despawn right in front of your face. in fact, unless you breed or nametag a passive mob, it can despawn at any time from any distance, even if it's in a pen and you are staring at it. several people on my server found this poo poo out the hard way; for example i found this out when i spent hours trying to find a donkey, finally found one and then it disappeared from less than ten blocks away before i had a chance to throw a saddle on it.

the entire way they've handled spawning in bedrock is just bewildering. i really, genuinely don't get why they'd change it from java.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 5, 2018

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

so for example, you want a slime farm? you're hosed, have fun going through swamps during full moons 'cause that's your best bet now to find slimes. want to get some magma cream and ghast tears for potions? good fuckin' luck to ya. and enjoy getting creepersploded in the middle of the day when you revisit an area you have not been to for weeks because the creeper that spawned there at night never despawned or moved from its last position.

Oh... I guess I can live without mob-farms, it's going to be weird not having a single mob-farm in minecraft though, I hope they get around to fixing it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah after 10 hours or so in a Win10 world, you'll realize that there's something fundamentally off with the spawns. I don't know why they can't/won't fix this as it really messes with the fundamentals of the game imo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It's the main reason I never switched over despite moving to Win10 this year. Kind of waiting for such a big issue like that to be sorted. The Red stone issue that the win10 version has doesn't bother me because I never built crazy redstone machines. The craziest thing I ever built was a thing that flushed a field of wheat into a basin with a lever pull.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kamrat posted:

I just tried out the windows 10 edition of the game and it's leagues better than the Java version, in the Java version the game sometimes stutters when destroying and putting down blocks and has a variable framerate and I can forget about putting the draw distance up, but in the windows 10 version I can put everything to max (including draw distance) and it runs real smooth no matter what I'm doing in the game.

I had no idea there was such a big difference, the last time I tried the windows 10 version (when it was basically new) it had a bunch of issues and it was not feature complete, at this point I'm wondering why they're even bothering with the Java version.

I guess it's because Microsoft doesn't want to port the game to Mac and Linux which is sad because it seems so much better, especially now that it has all the features from the Java edition.

It's mods. Mods aren't possible in the W10 version, but are in the Java one. If you don't care about mods, the W10 version will be unquestionably better (besides the spawn issue I guess, but most people can live with that).

There are some other differences, mostly around redstone and how things tick, but unless you're building wild contraptions those differences won't be noticeable.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi thread, apologies for jumping in with a question that may or may not be dumb as hell and/or answered somewhere in the last hundred pages -

Is anyone else having trouble playing online with friends on Switch? My brother and I can see each other as playing Minecraft from the Switch OS, but can't jump into each-others' worlds from the Play screen, it says that no friends are playing Minecraft - even as I'm in my world messing around or he's in his. Thoughts? We've both done a reset of our Switch since adding each other as friends but I'm not really sure what to do, which is really disappointing because I've been setting this world up to play together for ages. The world is using the Mario Mash-Up resource pack, if it matters - but I couldn't join his regular skin world either.

Sorry again if this is a stupid question but there's frankly so much Minecraft stuff online that finding an answer quickly to something like this turned up loving nothing ("Restart your Switch and make sure it is connecting to your Internet network", gee, thanks).

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I dunno, I think some of those Win 10 issues are fixed.

I've got a slime spawner set up on DEEP STATE PLOT's realm that works just fine, and, since I didn't light it quite right (misremembered torch light levels) I've found other mobs in it as well.

The passive mob thing is indeed true, but to keep them around you just have to "interact" with them. So, so long as you feed whatever livestock you want to keep around you'll be fine. Of note, this means you need to feed babies as soon as you get them from breeding so they stick around.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

really? because my slime farm does not work for poo poo. is yours located far away from the ocean? because a whole lot of people have said that, especially since the aquatic update, that farms near oceans do not work due to how many mobs (especially drowned) spawn there now.

so far as i can tell, the only thing they'd fixed recently was making withers actually spawn in the nether, although the nether is still otherwise a ghost town.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

Hi thread, apologies for jumping in with a question that may or may not be dumb as hell and/or answered somewhere in the last hundred pages -

Is anyone else having trouble playing online with friends on Switch? My brother and I can see each other as playing Minecraft from the Switch OS, but can't jump into each-others' worlds from the Play screen, it says that no friends are playing Minecraft - even as I'm in my world messing around or he's in his. Thoughts? We've both done a reset of our Switch since adding each other as friends but I'm not really sure what to do, which is really disappointing because I've been setting this world up to play together for ages. The world is using the Mario Mash-Up resource pack, if it matters - but I couldn't join his regular skin world either.

Sorry again if this is a stupid question but there's frankly so much Minecraft stuff online that finding an answer quickly to something like this turned up loving nothing ("Restart your Switch and make sure it is connecting to your Internet network", gee, thanks).

I've been playing a lot of Minecraft with mu friends between Switch and Android on my Realms server. I'm not quite sure, why. Sorry. I'm thinking it's some fuckery with the Xbox account system? It's been pretty smooth for us.

That said, holy poo poo I'm addicted to Minecraft again. I'm gonna be working on a Green Hill Zone Mobius loop this weekend.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

That said, holy poo poo I'm addicted to Minecraft again. I'm gonna be working on a Green Hill Zone Mobius loop this weekend.

I thought I was out. I thought I was free.

Then I got my dumbass brother hooked and holy poo poo they've added so much stuff, this is kinda awesome again.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'm going to try to jump back in if and when they fix this spawning stuff on the non-Java edition.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

really? because my slime farm does not work for poo poo. is yours located far away from the ocean? because a whole lot of people have said that, especially since the aquatic update, that farms near oceans do not work due to how many mobs (especially drowned) spawn there now.

so far as i can tell, the only thing they'd fixed recently was making withers actually spawn in the nether, although the nether is still otherwise a ghost town.

Yeah, mine is inland a good ways in a cave system I've entirely lit up. It doesn't work great but if you go during the day you'll definitely get a few slimes. Need to light the surface for it to work better at night but :effort:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh hey forgot to post this here.

Got a goon realm for anyone that wants to join. Mostly intended for nintendo switch peeps but I welcome anyone.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863868&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Don't forget there's a Nintengoons discord and we take up the minecraft channel in there.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
So I've been playing a bit of Minecraft lately, just because it's pretty neat in VR. It's almost like playing it for the first time again. Anyway, I wondered if any of you guys know what counts as looking at an enderman in VR. I've looked at them and not been attacked, but I've been attacked when minding my own business punching trees, so I'd like to know what it is that sets them off. This is in the Win10 version, and not Java+Vivecraft, btw

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Does the VR version have the reticle? I know in 2d that's what counts.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AlexDeGruven posted:

Does the VR version have the reticle? I know in 2d that's what counts.

Not really. You do get a crosshair for your right hand, but I'm pretty sure I was pointing it at a tree

I guess I'll just have to try various things the next time I find an enderman that isn't attacking me

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I hadn't watched any PiroPito videos for a while, so I checked and there's just this short video saying he's not going to do any more until October because of his other project, but then there's a second one because he noticed 1.13 is out. So if anyone wasn't checking his channel until October, there's one there.

I'm disappointed that he hasn't been owned by a phantom yet. I guess that'll happen in the next episode if he manages to avoid the drowned.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

So I've been playing a bit of Minecraft lately, just because it's pretty neat in VR. It's almost like playing it for the first time again. Anyway, I wondered if any of you guys know what counts as looking at an enderman in VR. I've looked at them and not been attacked, but I've been attacked when minding my own business punching trees, so I'd like to know what it is that sets them off. This is in the Win10 version, and not Java+Vivecraft, btw

Have you seen a problem on 1.6 VR where the camera is too far back and if you back into a block it goes dark as you clipped through it?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

Have you seen a problem on 1.6 VR where the camera is too far back and if you back into a block it goes dark as you clipped through it?

No, I haven't, but I've only played the new version for about half an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What's going on with Forge? Anyone know? I would like to get JourneyMap for 1.13