Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Senator Woofington posted:

So I built a nether gate at my castle. It took me to the nether! YAY!. Then I built a nether gate at spawn, and it took me to my first portals nether gate. WTF!? It means I can only travel one way now. How do I fix this?

Read the OP.

Or just this post here, which is linked from the OP to answer exactly your question.

thehustler posted:

Is anybody else having problems with absolutely no animals spawning? We have had them spawn since the 1.8.1 update, but now we're running around our world and absolutely nothing at all. We're still getting monsters, but not really to any great degree.

Tried a server restart. No dice.

It's making the hunger meter quite annoying...

In typical Mojang fashion, they've managed to implement the "persistent animals with no respawn" part of the animal husbandry/farming system they planned without actually implementing the breeding/farming part.

So cows/sheep/pigs/chickens now spawn on chunk generation, persist through server restarts... and never respawn once they're killed.

Until 1.9, pork, steak, chicken, leather and feathers (since I think they're just drops from chickens now, with zombies only dropping rotten flesh) are finite resources. Wool at least you can craft from string, so it's renewable via spider drops (and you can gather huge amounts of string from the webs in abandoned mine systems, provided you can find your way back out again).

arhra fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I'm working with funguw, a cowgus, a shrow or infected cow.

Fungus, shroom, cow, bovine, you'd think one could be more inventive than fungow at least.

That's clearly a cow so thoroughly infected that it's become a mooshroom.

e: Oh god I didn't realize that was the actual name

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I found a seed that starts off seemingly boring, but a very small trek in the right direction and you'll see a village on a ridge in the distance. There are cave systems right next to spawn with lots of coal and iron. More excellent caves near the village itself (it's pretty much on top of it). And there are some great scenic mountains near the village as well. If you go to the furthest house from spawn and start exploring the caves downward from there, there is a stronghold to stumble upon.

The seed is "winter is coming"
I built a ladder down the shaft at -364, 111 and dug through once I hit bottom to continue it (The village is at these coords)
I found the stronghold a stone's throw from my ladder at around y:25 depth in the cave system there.

edit: I think this isn't so much a stronghold as it is an abandoned mineshaft :doh:

Jelly fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 16, 2011

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.

thehustler posted:

Is anybody else having problems with absolutely no animals spawning? We have had them spawn since the 1.8.1 update, but now we're running around our world and absolutely nothing at all. We're still getting monsters, but not really to any great degree.

Tried a server restart. No dice.

It's making the hunger meter quite annoying...

Yes. They don't seem to despawn like they should. If I don't kill every sheep I sheer, they just mill-around forever. I also found about 10 cows and 5 pigs stuck down a trench just at the edge of my biome. And I've not seen a chicken since I started this map with the new patch.

You might have nothing but squid.

RunningOnEmpty fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 16, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

arhra posted:

In typical Mojang fashion, they've managed to implement the "persistent animals with no respawn" part of the animal husbandry/farming system they planned without actually implementing the breeding/farming part.

So cows/sheep/pigs/chickens now spawn on chunk generation, persist through server restarts... and never respawn once they're killed.

Until 1.9, pork, steak, chicken, leather and feathers (since I think they're just drops from chickens now, with zombies only dropping rotten flesh) are finite resources. Wool at least you can craft from string, so it's renewable via spider drops (and you can gather huge amounts of string from the webs in abandoned mine systems, provided you can find your way back out again).

Ahahahahahahha.

Seriously, is QA testing a joke these days, or what?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I sorta like it, honestly. Not just because cows no longer spawn in my house, but also because it forces you to setup farms which I never did before. I like them as a finite resource.

Although it does effect the feel of the game when the only creatures you ever see around your area are enemies.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cygni posted:

I sorta like it, honestly. Not just because cows no longer spawn in my house, but also because it forces you to setup farms which I never did before. I like them as a finite resource.

Although it does effect the feel of the game when the only creatures you ever see around your area are enemies.
I won't say I prefer it to the old behavior, but it does present an interesting dynamic in that early on you can easily just get fistfuls of pork and beef, but as time goes on the 'easy' food begins to thin out and you have to rely on more permanent solutions like farming and fishing. It's almost realistic in that sense, but yeah, setting up a pig/cow farm would have been a better option to be able to pursue.
Plus, it's a lot less fun for things without alternatives, like sheep.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cygni posted:

I love the idea of farms to get this stuff, cause I hate running around trying to find, say, wool and not running into any sheep for like 10 minutes but finding plenty of stupid cows. Having them all in a pen so I can just go in and sheer them and stuff would be great.

Of course, right now it's just "the animals won't respawn/grow back their wool" without the farming/breeding so that's great!

Oh well, I can just /give myself the stuff until that situation gets fixed when the problem arises.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Vib Rib posted:

Plus, it's a lot less fun for things without alternatives, like sheep.

I'm guessing you mean wool? You can turn string into wool blocks which was useful for like the first drat time when making a bed on my friends SMP server and there was only one sheep anywhere near the spawn (I had no sheers at the time :()

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I have absolutely no problem setting up a farm system if that is indeed how the game is going to go, but taking out respawns before it's ready is rather stupid, no?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cygni posted:

Reeeaaallly hate the fantasy biome. If he also worked in that awful fairy mod and potions to maximize the fantasy horribleness, I would finally have to start modding to remove them.

We've barely seen anything from it so I won't judge it to soon. A fantasy biome would be neat but it should be rare. The novelty would wear off real quick if there was a weird mushroom forest over every mountain range.

m2pt5 posted:

Notch just tweeted about these - apparently they're called "Mooshrooms" and they can be harvested with shears.

Harvest what? Mushrooms growing on the cow? The cow itself?

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
So since it looks like 1.9 is going to change the number of Strongholds that can spawn, does that mean that we're going to have to restart worlds again in 1.9?

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I know there's a lot of people out there that are going to hate Minecraft's steady progression into an actual game with a goal. I just hope Mojang implements enough depth and content to the game to make things like classes and levels worthwhile. It'd be disappointing to have a character growth system with no challenge to match with it.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS

Found this monstrosity hiding right beneath my desert. Ravines are loving insane.
e: tables

Seizureman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 16, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

ChewyLSB posted:

So since it looks like 1.9 is going to change the number of Strongholds that can spawn, does that mean that we're going to have to restart worlds again in 1.9?

Jeb mentioned on twitter before the release that 1.9 will require new generation as well.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vatek posted:

Jeb mentioned on twitter before the release that 1.9 will require new generation as well.

Why?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Taffer posted:

Why?

Because they didn't finish all the biomes they wanted in the generation, like snowy biomes.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

I'm having so much fun with this patch. I've just made a little holdfast with dock and have found a bunch of mineshafts near my house but keep getting chased out by baby spiders :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: From orbit With the Fires!

I keep seeing these rifts in the ocean floor when i go a sailin'. Possible SlEnderlair??? :tinfoil:

Sunrise at hooty hotel.

Welcome to Hooty Hotel! Please disembark from your fine oaken ship with care!

Ah what a nice hedge with assorted vines. Quaint!

Take a gentle left at the ancient symbol of blood death and...!

Welcome to the final destination! Hooray!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Because they didn't finish all the biomes they wanted in the generation, like snowy biomes.

That shouldn't require a new world though. You can still run 1.8 on super old worlds, it's just that the new stuff won't show up in old chunks.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Animals not respawning? Seriously? That's real lovely. On a side note experienced my first thunderstorm, it was awesome.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Taffer posted:

That shouldn't require a new world though. You can still run 1.8 on super old worlds, it's just that the new stuff won't show up in old chunks.
No, it doesn't mean that old worlds won't work anymore, it just means that the new world generation will be changed enough that the same seed in 1.8 and in 1.9 will create two totally different worlds. Just like how you can still play 1.7 worlds in 1.8, but won't get all the new stuff unless you explore new chunks.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I know that a lot of people don't like subterranean fog, but it makes for some really atmospheric environments sometimes.

It also figures that the first NPC village I happen to chance upon would be...flooded. :gonk:

This would be downright quaint if it weren't in the middle of the desert. :3: (And yes, I forgot to let the terrain finish rendering in the background. :doh:)

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

arhra posted:

Read the OP.

Or just this post here, which is linked from the OP to answer exactly your question.

To be fair, that doesn't point out the specific problem, which is that going through a portal exits you from the nearest active portal on the other side within a certain range. The bottom line is that surface portals within about 1000 blocks of each other will tend to link to the same Nether portal. This can be avoided by building portals in the Nether, but that requires mining obsidian (a pain), and can result in surface portals in weird or inconvenient locations.

I might try to write a more comprehensive guide; that one's rather bare-bones.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
I've been playing for over a year now, mostly messing around in single player (on peaceful so it was pretty much virtual lego all the way).

I decided to change that with 1.8, so I ventured into the difficulty settings and chose Hard.

Holy poo poo! This game!

I spawned on a beach, no trees in sight. I had to swim for a while until I found an island with a shitload of trees. Ok, great, now I have the basics to create tools.
Armed with my wooden sword and pick , I headed back to my spawn. Not far from the spawn I found an entrance to a huge cave system which was raided by me and my trusty wooden sword.

After the creeper/zombie/skeleton apocalypse in the cave system I was equipped with a shitload of coal, iron, gold and one diamond sword.

I had to go explore since that seems to be the popular thing to do. Now, my previous way of playing was to find a nice spot to build a shitload of stuff and just go mining in the immediate area.

In my travels I found two abandoned villages, stole their crops and kept on going on my way in search of a worthy landscape for my soon to be home.

While riding my boat up a river the game suddenly stopped.. Out of memory!
Never ever seen this error before.

I quit the game and decided to try the "give minecraft the memory it deserves" trick.

Why the hell didn't I ever do this before ??
The game jumped from 25fps to 40fps!

I just have to recommend that everybody at least tries this if their game is at least bit laggy. (info in the OP)

And just so that my post has more than boring text in it, this is my current home:

Texture pack is Summerfield 32x32

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there any way to use the more memory trick with the profile manager?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry if this has already been posted, but is there a version of Optimine for 1.8 yet? I'd really like to play on my laptop without avoiding forests like the plague. :ohdear:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Cygni posted:

It's no problem. Just got to sit on the porch of your fort with the ol' bow to make sure none of those Endermen varmints rustle yer cattle. :clint:

Although I'd probably be laughing too hard from seeing a Enderman carrying around a cow.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
If you spend too much time walking around in the mushroom biome you should occasionally lose control and just start building a nerdpole

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Having a weird issue on our server. Myself and a few other users have occasionally had an issue where the game will just lock and slow to a dead crawl. Like a 1/10 of a FPS. Restarts, reboots etc doesn't help it and it occurs very very rarely. Anyone else had this issue?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Finite animals wouldn't be an issue for me if zombies still dropped feathers or there was a way to get a lot more wool. I mean, it's great we have webs, but I like building with a lot of wool, and finite sheep are really bumming me out.

And arrows? I guess the only source of them longterm will be skeletons themselves, making archery really pretty unsustainable.

Food's no issue though- bread is a lot easier to gather in the long run anyway.

I hope they patch it so animal spawns go back to the way they were. Husbandry will be awesome, but it's just so stupid to limit animals before we have a way of working with them.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Howmuch posted:

Texture pack is Summerfield 32x32

So which came first, this or Jolicraft?

edit: hahahah the poo poo starts on page 2 when one of the other texture creators says "don't use adfly if you're loving stealing my poo poo"

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

So which came first, this or Jolicraft?

edit: hahahah the poo poo starts on page 2 when one of the other texture creators says "don't use adfly if you're loving stealing my poo poo"
Ohh, I'm so glad I just dl'd the pack and skipped the comments..... That place is surreal.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I decided to dust off Minecraft to check out the new update, and :iia:. Started up a new world, was in a swamp biome with a bunch of red and brown mushrooms nearby and not far from the spawn there was a mob spawner room that was hiding a massive abandoned mine behind it. The abandoned mines are pretty sweet. The new food system and zombie meat meant I could cave for a lot longer than it seemed like before with a fresh character.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Jibo posted:

I decided to dust off Minecraft to check out the new update, and :iia:.

Man you can't have a Road Rage Venom avatar and not be constantly screaming about PARKERRRRRR.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
For anyone having trouble with running out of food - get some eggs and chuck them into an enclosed area (a fenced-in area that's 5x5 inside is plenty) to get some captive chickens; since chickens lay the eggs, they (and feathers) are technically a renewable resource. If you're really hurting for renewability, charcoal (to power a furnace to cook the chicken) is also renewable since it comes from trees.

Internet Kraken posted:

Harvest what? Mushrooms growing on the cow? The cow itself?
I would assume the mushrooms because he said "they can be sheared".

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
So.. has anyone found any loving clay in this update, or did they gently caress it up again :(

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

So I've started playing Minecraft again after quitting a little bit before pistons were released, and I'm having a bit of a problem.

When I destroy or place blocks, the game doesn't seem to visually update that fact until quite awhile later. Often several minutes. Newly placed blocks still block my progress, even though I can't see them at all on my screen. I can pass through recently destroyed blocks, even though they appear to still be there. Sometimes placing torches nearby forces the blocks to update, but not always.

This poo poo only started happening since I started back up after that several month break, and it's pretty much completely ruined the game for me. It's pretty difficult to build anything when you can't see what you've placed for 3+ minutes. Anyone know what's up?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

glug posted:

So.. has anyone found any loving clay in this update, or did they gently caress it up again :(

Yes, you can find it abundantly in some places where there is shallow water. But I think the rules have been tweaked a little so it might not be found in what used to be typical places.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My previous world was kind of boring, so I made one with the seed I don't want to live on this planet anymore in hopes of finding a cool mineshaft or stronghold or something.

The game put me on a tiny desolate island in the middle of loving nowhere. There were no trees and no animals. I could barely see a couple of islands on the horizon; there was one stunted little tree on each. When I dug a hole to make a little cavehouse, I discovered that I was living directly on top of a rather alarming cave network. When I swam to one of the other islands to chop down a tree and gather up some saplings for sustainable wood production, I discovered there was a spider spawner there. I spent two days straight at half a heart because I had no food whatsoever, ultimately managing to barely survive by murdering zombies and cannibalizing them with ghoulish, ravenous fervor. I'm afraid to waste my stone picks because I don't have any wood to make more, I have to recover and relocate my torches to explore, and whoops now I'm starving again because I encountered a skeleton and I dare not challenge him to gain access to the delicious zombie flesh that surely lies beyond, oh well I guess I'll toil on my little island, barely clinging to life, viciously guarding my four tiny patches of seeded ground and watching my fishing lure sit lifelessly on the surface of the damnable, uncaring ocean. I still have not found a single mushroom or animal - just monsters and starvation as far as the eye can see.

Every single second of this game has been a bitter, bloody, screaming, tooth-and-nail scrabble for survival and holy loving poo poo is it fun. Why did I ever play any other way :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Have you guys had any problems with changing your skin? It's not letting me change it for some reason since the update.