Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
And by Minecon next year, those dozen full time developers will almost certainly still have added less content than random, sometimes individual hobbyist modders did in about the same time. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

drat, we have 11 developers and have been afloat for years on VC money

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Change the caves, Mojang! :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FPzero posted:

Change the caves, Mojang! :argh:

Yes, this is literally the lady major thing that the game needs holy poo poo.

I sound sarcastic, but I don't mean to be. Caves are boring. Make them better.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, this is literally the lady major thing that the game needs holy poo poo.

I sound sarcastic, but I don't mean to be. Caves are boring. Make them better.

I was watching the Yogscast's All the Mods videos and Sjin showed Lewis and Duncan a super-rare cave biome added by the Quark mod that spawns giant translucent "crystals" in a small ravine with tons of ore spawns. Kind of reminds me of the little gem caves in Terraria. Even something as simple as this would go a long way to helping the underground variety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh5zzYLdNzU&t=816s

Go to 13:35 if the timestamp doesn't work.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fleshing out the caves and making the world 2 or even 3 times deeper is the #1 thing i want from minecraft at this point. them doing things to overworld biomes is meaningless to me right now.

after they make caving more interesting, they should look at making the nether not a miserable slog, it's as boring as the caves are with the added bonus of it being too dangerous to be fun to gently caress around in. really, both the extra dimensions should be fleshed out a whole hell of a lot, i have always loved the idea of just permanently living in one of them but neither are interesting enough for me to have the drive to do it.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Yeah, I've been dreaming about them making the underground deeper ever since the the world height got an increase.

The Nether could use some biomes to make it more interesting, I understand the hellish theme must be there but does it need to have netherrack everywhere?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Is there any reason not to add the flame enchantment to a bow, in regards to loot or xp?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Deep Winter posted:

Is there any reason not to add the flame enchantment to a bow, in regards to loot or xp?

Unless something has changed, lighting mobs up with a flame bow should have no effect other than more damage.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Deep Winter posted:

Animals that die when on fire or to fire damage drop cooked meat. You may or may not want that.

Also zombies that are on fire spread that fire to whoever they hit.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Does the fire damage hurt tick still give them a brief moment of invulnerability?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Blind Duke posted:

Does the fire damage hurt tick still give them a brief moment of invulnerability?
This is the #1 reason I never use it. I died to zombies burning in sunlight way too often because I didn't get the expected knockback and I swore off fighting burning enemies forever. If they've changed it since I wouldn't know because I just don't fight anything on fire anymore.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Just loaded up Minecraft for the first time in a year or so. Who thought it was a good idea to add a mob that swoops out of the sky and hits me if I don't sleep in a bed every 60 minutes? Another inventory slot burned I guess.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Just loaded up Minecraft for the first time in a year or so. Who thought it was a good idea to add a mob that swoops out of the sky and hits me if I don't sleep in a bed every 60 minutes? Another inventory slot burned I guess.

The same people who decided that a sandbox game where you're encouraged to build should punish you for staying in an area for too long.

And the same people who decided monsters MUST spawn every night.

What if... there were more natural threats above ground? We have wolves and bears, and the evil villagers, and you could even add spiders. Just have them all spawn naturally, regardless of light levels. Then when you go underground, that's where you find zombies and skeletons and poo poo. Have a nice divide between above ground and underground, without needing any kind of day/night spawning poo poo so you don't need to have a grid of torches spread out to keep creepers from ruining all your poo poo.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Just occurred to me that complaining about Minecraft's design is like talking to that friend who complains about the same thing for years and whenever you're annoyed about it they just get mad at you instead.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jamesman posted:

What if... there were more natural threats above ground? We have wolves and bears, and the evil villagers, and you could even add spiders. Just have them all spawn naturally, regardless of light levels. Then when you go underground, that's where you find zombies and skeletons and poo poo. Have a nice divide between above ground and underground, without needing any kind of day/night spawning poo poo so you don't need to have a grid of torches spread out to keep creepers from ruining all your poo poo.

Or just make a difference between cave darkness and outdoors moon-and-stars nighttime darkness

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mojang were the people who installed mods to increase Cliff Racer spawns in Morrowind.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or just make a difference between cave darkness and outdoors moon-and-stars nighttime darkness

Which is something they already do, it's just all applied the same way.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Remember when they were able to spawn in The End? A flying mob with a very accurate kickback attack in a dimension that's 99.9% deadly void you couldn't sleep in if you wanted to?

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
I recently migrated my old Minecraft account over to a Mojang account to receive my free copy of the Windows 10 edition, because I want to play cross platform.

However I don't see the option on my Mojang account to receive my free copy.

Mojang says here that it needs the Java version to be bought before October 19th 2018.

I bought my copy in July 2010...

My Mojang account says otherwise, but it's still before the date they specified

Anyway, I've already emailed Mojang about this, even showing them the old Paypal purchase number from 2010. It could be up to two weeks before they get back to me, but I was wondering if any other goons had an issue like this.

Thanks.

EDIT: I found sites selling Minecraft Windows 10 for less than 50 cents.... Forget this post

BiG TrUcKs !!! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 22, 2018

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

The community voted for it. So blame everyone.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'm dicking around with the new snapshot (I keep a personal copy of Painterly up to date so I was seeing what's new) and do we know if the crossbows are supposed to be inferior to bows in every way or is the damage formula still a work in progress?

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Fortis posted:

I'm dicking around with the new snapshot (I keep a personal copy of Painterly up to date so I was seeing what's new) and do we know if the crossbows are supposed to be inferior to bows in every way or is the damage formula still a work in progress?

Unknown about the crossbow... but would you mind sharing your version of Painterly?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Saeka posted:

Unknown about the crossbow... but would you mind sharing your version of Painterly?

Sure: http://zantetsuken.com/minecraft/1.13/%5b1.13+%5d%20Painterly%20-%20Fortis%27s%20Mix.zip

(In case anyone is wondering, I PM'd kas about it and he's cool with it)

There's a bunch of extra stuff in there, particularly if you've got Optifine installed. There are also some 3D models I did to try out Mr. Crayfish's model creator; if you'd prefer the classic look for stuff, you should be fine just deleting the 'models' directory from assets/minecraft/

At the very least, it's ready for customization via the huge .zip of assets available on the Painterly site if any of my choices don't match up with yours.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 25, 2018

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Are there any games like Factorio or I guess Graveyard Keeper that are similar to the magic/alchemy crafting mods (forgot what they were called) or I think Technic which was about building stuff like forges and nuclear reactors? Basically creating pipelines of increasingly crazier stuff.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Factorio is the obvious answer though you already mentioned it. I know there's another game in development called Satisfactory in development that looks to be a take on a Factorio style of game but in 3D from a 1st-person perspective. I've got my eye on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_lmP8jYVLs

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FPzero posted:

Factorio is the obvious answer though you already mentioned it. I know there's another game in development called Satisfactory in development that looks to be a take on a Factorio style of game but in 3D from a 1st-person perspective. I've got my eye on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_lmP8jYVLs
Closed beta for it apparently just started but it's NDA so we won't get to hear much for a while yet. Still, yeah, looks worth watching at least.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

lordfrikk posted:

Are there any games like Factorio or I guess Graveyard Keeper that are similar to the magic/alchemy crafting mods (forgot what they were called) or I think Technic which was about building stuff like forges and nuclear reactors? Basically creating pipelines of increasingly crazier stuff.

Try Oxygen Not Included. There's a thread around for it too.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

I haven't had time to mess around with it, but I'm fairly sure the goal with crossbows is that they are supposed to fire straight with little to zero drop in bolt flight, additionally they are apparently set up so you can load the bolt and then switch to something else, so you can pull and immediately fire when you need it.

According to the patch notes crossbows "Shoots arrows with base power slightly higher than the bow, but less durability", so maybe the damage formula isn't quite right (not surprising for the first snapshot).

Crossbows seem to really shine (like the Trident) with enchantments.

Multishot (I)
Fires two additional bolts to the left and right of the main bolt when you fire your crossbow. Cannot be combined with Piercing

Piercing (I, II, III, IV)
Allows bolts to travel through mobs, hitting any mobs behind the target. Number of mobs the bolt can damage and pass through is equal to the enhancement level plus 1 (for a max of 5 mobs at max level). Cannot be combined with Multishot.

Quick Charge (I, II, III)
Each level of quick charge decreases the amount of time it takes to fully charge your crossbow by .25 seconds

I assume that on top of these 3 enchantments, crossbows can be enchanted with things like Power and Infinity.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Infinity is bow-only for now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Potsticker posted:

:negative:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Enzer posted:

I haven't had time to mess around with it, but I'm fairly sure the goal with crossbows is that they are supposed to fire straight with little to zero drop in bolt flight, additionally they are apparently set up so you can load the bolt and then switch to something else, so you can pull and immediately fire when you need it.

According to the patch notes crossbows "Shoots arrows with base power slightly higher than the bow, but less durability", so maybe the damage formula isn't quite right (not surprising for the first snapshot).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess we'll see how it pans out in the next few snapshots. The enchantments are pretty great, although I'm still not sure what the point of being able to shoot fireworks is. I was hoping they'd act like bomb arrows but it doesn't seem that firework explosions do much damage. :sigh:

Edit: For anyone who was interested in my personal, 1.13 (and 1.14 snapshot!) compatible version of :wooper:Painterly:wooper:, I've updated it to remove some of the more egregious custom poo poo I did (notably I put the diamond color back to the original Painterly pale blue instead of electric teal), plus I discovered a stolen elytra texture I put in that wasn't from kas, which I've replaced. You can grab it here: http://zantetsuken.com/minecraft/1.13/%5b1.13+%5d%20Painterly%20-%20Fortis%27s%20Mix.zip

Some of the carpet CTM patterns are taken from the mod Chisel, otherwise this is all assets from the Painterly site.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 25, 2018

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess we'll see how it pans out in the next few snapshots. The enchantments are pretty great, although I'm still not sure what the point of being able to shoot fireworks is. I was hoping they'd act like bomb arrows but it doesn't seem that firework explosions do much damage. :sigh:

Edit: For anyone who was interested in my personal, 1.13 (and 1.14 snapshot!) compatible version of :wooper:Painterly:wooper:, I've updated it to remove some of the more egregious custom poo poo I did (notably I put the diamond color back to the original Painterly pale blue instead of electric teal), plus I discovered a stolen elytra texture I put in that wasn't from kas, which I've replaced. You can grab it here: http://zantetsuken.com/minecraft/1.13/%5b1.13+%5d%20Painterly%20-%20Fortis%27s%20Mix.zip

Some of the carpet CTM patterns are taken from the mod Chisel, otherwise this is all assets from the Painterly site.

It might have just been a For Fun feature (firing rockets at people could potentially be funny), but it looks like two fireworks deal enough damage to kill a creeper (even if it has a large splash size I highly doubt it would justify all the gunpowder needed..).

https://gfycat.com/IdlePoorElephantbeetle

Guy who posted that suggested being able to use them as traps, which I can see being useful if you are being hounded by a large number of mobs and can get them to path through a choke point.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 25, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Is there any web service that collects / hosts a repository of little pieces of Minecraft worlds? Not necessarily in chunk sized pieces, just like single buildings?

We agree that the default world generation (underground) is not getting any better, so it would be nice if you could instead generate a world by randomly pasting together bits and pieces that other folks have built. Like building a brick house one brick at a time, maybe tiling them together in little 80x40x40 "bricks" and using that for worldgen instead of the default noise function.

Instead of randomly drawing bricks from the pile (out of all buildings ever submitted), the generator could be smart about it and try to smooth out the final result by tending to hook up certain ones more often, categorized by how filled in they are with solid blocks at their boundaries... the "profile" of the building or cave fragment so to speak.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Potsticker posted:

Infinity is both great and lousy; great because it's less resources to lug around, and lousy because it makes gathering a resource in a resource-gathering game pointless. Also, with spawner farms as well as the game's horrid enchanting system it's more or less arbitrary when you wind up with it; there's nothing you can really do to "earn" any particular enchantment.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Enchanting, like potion making, is poorly balanced and barely realized, and not very satisfying from a gameplay perspective.
It's kind of a bummer because potions and magic could potentially be some of the coolest and most interesting systems, but instead you've got a processing machine and a dice roller.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The idea I once had for Enchanting was that they could incorporate more gemstones and rare metals into the game, and you would use those to imbue your equipment with different properties. That way you're caving and exploring and earning your enchantments, while also being able to choose what ones you wanted. And hey, more blocks/materials that you could use to craft things! You know, something that fulfills both the "Mine" and "Craft" aspects of the game "Minecraft." It would also tie into my idea for Dwarf villages underground, which would specialize in rare gems and stuff.

But I guess building an XP grinder to farm so you can spend numbers on a slot machine is good too.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Enchanting got a lot better when I made one of those auto fish farms, which I only tried for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Now I have a chest full of books I can mix and match, and plenty of enchanted bows ready to go once repaired.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Jamesman posted:

The idea I once had for Enchanting was that they could incorporate more gemstones and rare metals into the game, and you would use those to imbue your equipment with different properties. That way you're caving and exploring and earning your enchantments, while also being able to choose what ones you wanted. And hey, more blocks/materials that you could use to craft things! You know, something that fulfills both the "Mine" and "Craft" aspects of the game "Minecraft." It would also tie into my idea for Dwarf villages underground, which would specialize in rare gems and stuff.

But I guess building an XP grinder to farm so you can spend numbers on a slot machine is good too.
Honestly going halfway between the Silent's Gems mod and vanilla enchanting would be basically exactly what you've described, and I'd love that. Silent's Gems is such a good mod example for how Mojang should handle rare gemstones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The cool parts of Minecraft are everything except the mining and the crafting~