Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Way back in 2011 I posted this online:

quote:

Here's what I want out of Minecraft: the ability to define what I want from the game. I want to be able to load up "Minecraft Editor dot exe" and be presented with a user-friendly GUI that gives me all the tools I need to create new block types to use in my game.

[...]

If Minecraft is supposed to be a sandbox game, let me make the sandbox. Let the players define the content they want to see, and share it with each other.

It's not until I stumbled across it again that I realise that's exactly what Hytale is doing. My younger self would be fuckin' amazed at all this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I just started playing minecraft with my son & daughter on the PC Java edition. Are there any "must have" mods like texture packs? It's hard to figure which are still current and which are no longer supported or any good.
We went on an "adventure" spending a couple hours exploring the world and only ran into one witches house with a dungeon and a prisoner cleric. Is there a way to make NPC villages or more interesting content like that? Seeing something like that only once in such a long time seems a bit too rare. Thanks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I just started playing minecraft with my son & daughter on the PC Java edition. Are there any "must have" mods like texture packs? It's hard to figure which are still current and which are no longer supported or any good.
We went on an "adventure" spending a couple hours exploring the world and only ran into one witches house with a dungeon and a prisoner cleric. Is there a way to make NPC villages or more interesting content like that? Seeing something like that only once in such a long time seems a bit too rare. Thanks

I've always loved the Gerudoku texture pack; it makes everything look like a slightly higher-res RPG version of itself, and isn't too crazy with anything (meaning that everything makes sense). The dirt and water textures alone are wonderful and worth it.

EDIT: I don't know if this will get you to the latest version of it, but here it is -> https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding-java-edition/resource-packs/1236209-gerudoku-faithful

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 24, 2019

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The short answer is no.

No texture packs or mods are "must have." There's a lot of stuff out there that's cool and fun, but I think there's something to be said for playing with the default textures, especially w/r/t seeing other people build stuff or building yourself and showing it off and being able to recognize and tell what all the parts are.

As for mods, there's certainly stuff that will add more structures and things to find to Minecraft. And Twitch definitely makes it easy to throw together a personal pack with a few mods to do that, but it's not the most simple thing. Biomes O'Plenty and Recurrent Complex will add lots of stuff to find and explore. Depending on the age of your kids, something like this could be all you need for more fun "adventures." Most of the modpacks out there these days are full of mods that change tons of things that can be quite confusing.

If at the end of the day vanilla minecraft is too "boring" for you or your kids, there's an old mod pack called Baby's First Space Race which is for a much older version of minecraft and so there's a lot of mechanics that have changed since then, but it's fabulous for teaching how playing modded minecraft works, and does so in a way that it provides a lot of materials and direction so you don't spend a lot of time just mindlessly grinding. If I was to recommend an exploration/adventure-based modpack in the most current version of modded minecraft it would probably be Sprout. But even that is full of probably too much to take in as new players.

Also, very important but mods do not work with the current version of minecraft, 1.13.2, which means there will be some differences even if you're playing with the most up to date mods. There are datapacks, which are like light mods, which are for the current version however. This page https://xisumavoid.com/vanillatweaks/ has a good compilation of those, but the only real "important" one there is Multiplayer Sleep. If playing together means everyone is sitting around and taking turns controlling the character, then this isn't needed, but if it means everyone has their own account and you're playing on a realm or hosting a local server, then this can be helpful when people are off doing their own things or might not have a bed handy when other people want to sleep.

Finally, if you haven't tl;dr'd out already, the newest update to Minecraft is around the corner (though no release date set yet) and 1.14 will be changing a lot about how villages generate and how the player interacts with villagers, which could be fun for you and your kids, but it will mean either A) starting a new world or B) travelling to areas you haven't been before since when Minecraft adds new world generation stuff, it doesn't update anything that's already been built.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah that sucks. One tip is you could look at the Minecraft wiki to find out which biomes NPC villages spawn in and concentrate on exploring those. Off the top of my head that includes plains and savannah/whatever they call that now.

There's also a command you can use to find generated structures - https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Commands/locate - and a website that does something similar if you give it your world seed (I don't remember it's name but I'm sure others will).

Once you find a village with a cartographer at least you can buy maps to help find some other things without cheating.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

https://www.mineatlas.com enter your seed and use the /teleport command a lot or build a giant rail network haha

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I appreciate all the helpful responses. Right now we have 2 PC's so that sleep one would be really nice.
They really enjoy vanilla minecraft right now, and I dont want it to change too much right now so I might just look at a "hi res" pack.
Is there a way to make a map of the whole world? My son made a map, but it only covered a small area. Do you keep making maps and join them together?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah, just keep making new maps. But only start a new map once you're not visible on another map you're carrying because otherwise you'll just get a duplicate map. You can also build a cartography room and use Item Frames to place maps on walls and make one big map of your surrounding areas. It's a really neat feature.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I appreciate all the helpful responses. Right now we have 2 PC's so that sleep one would be really nice.
They really enjoy vanilla minecraft right now, and I dont want it to change too much right now so I might just look at a "hi res" pack.
Is there a way to make a map of the whole world? My son made a map, but it only covered a small area. Do you keep making maps and join them together?

Also, you can zoom out of a map to cover a larger area. Surround your map with either other papers or other maps, I can't remember.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

It would probably be a lot easier on you if you went with the win10 edition. I don't know if it's still free, but it has a ton of packs and adventures your kids may enjoy, already configured and easy to use. Yes they cost money but not that much and at least some of them were made by players and the players get a cut of the money.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If all you want is higher res graphics, there's a texture pack called Faithful that's rather popular that ups the pixel count. Other popular ones besides Gerudoku which was mentioned before are Sphax and John Smith. There's also stuff like A Little Taste of Jerm which keeps the 16x16 textures, but updates them with an eye towards making them blend a bit better and adds a lot of variation so not every cobblestone block for instance looks exactly the same.

You might need Optifine for that, which I guess I was sort of remiss in not mentioning in the post before. Optifine is a mod and it does work with the current version of minecraft. It's easy to install (just drop the compressed file into the appropriate folder) and all it does is give you more options with controlling the video settings in minecraft. This can be very helpful in tailoring Minecraft to suit your needs in terms of graphics and performance. One of those ways is by letting you load shaders, which can definitely make minecraft prettier, but also possibly run slower. Even with the default textures (or the new beta textures) Minecraft can look a whole lot prettier with shaders taking over how the game is rendered with advanced lighting.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

FPzero posted:

You can also build a cartography room and use Item Frames to place maps on walls and make one big map of your surrounding areas. It's a really neat feature.

You can put them on floors (and ceilings) now too (as of 1.13) right? The floor seems like a good idea if you're going to make a really really big map.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Mojang removed Notch from all of the splash screens today.

That's going to go down well with a large childish part of this community.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
:munch:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Saeka posted:

Since Notch turned out to be an rear end in a top hat it might be good to get some distance from him so it was a good move on the developers part, it's not like they removed him from the credits so.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I can't imagine why they would want to distance themselves from Notch "Nazis are good. Feminism is bad." Persson

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I can't imagine why they would want to distance themselves from Notch "Nazis are good. Feminism is bad." Persson

Apparently I was out of the loop on this one. I was confused why it was childish to think is was bad that the original creator's name was removed from the product, but oof!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Saeka posted:

good, gently caress notch. i hope this makes him sit in his gigantic empty lonely mansion that's an hour from anything and cry for a few days.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Any time notch gets dragged I get a very genuine feeling of satisfaction

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Saeka posted:

Did a Google News search to see if there was anything about this out there, but the first match actually related to him was "Minecraft creator Notch says QAnon conspiracy theory is 'legit'" :lol:

The wiki page for the snapshot says:

quote:

Removed splashes referencing Notch:

"Made by Notch!"
"The Work of Notch!"
"110813!"
At this point the first two aren't entirely true - at least they omit all the other developers!

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Splash says that "110813" was "Notch's and ez's wedding day" and https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Ez says they got divorced a year later (wonder why?).

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Saeka posted:

Good. Maybe next they can remove the shout-out to /v/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Notch should be removed from everything everywhere. Notch is a piece of human ballast.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Imagine the outcry that removing his name from this mega popular game would have caused if Notch was a likable person

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

Apparently I was out of the loop on this one.

After selling Minecraft to Microsoft, he retired to a mansion so he could post on Twitter all day about how he hates people of color, women, transgendered people, Muslims, Jews, etc. But he likes facism and nazis.

On a side note, maybe Mojang will finally change the design for Villagers.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Imagine the outcry that removing his name from this mega popular game would have caused if Notch was a likable person

Maybe he'll make another game and HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jamesman posted:

After selling Minecraft to Microsoft, he retired to a mansion so he could post on Twitter all day about how he hates people of color, women, transgendered people, Muslims, Jews, etc. But he likes facism and nazis.

On a side note, maybe Mojang will finally change the design for Villagers.
I still remember reading an early, pre-Villagers discussion where he said he intended to add villages and they'd be populated by Pigmen. That was the whole reason the Nether has Zombie Pigmen. And then instead he went with... what we have now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Maybe it would have been changed to 'Based on the game originally made by Notch'.

I don't blame them one bit for removing his name from it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I mean at this point, aside from creating the game, he's had gently caress all to do with its success, and most of his contributions have either been detrimental or overshadowed and replaced anyway.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
And the sad thing is Notch *used* to be a likable person (personn), back when it was just blog posts where he was very open about his personal development process and game design philosophy. And when he went on the Craig Ferguson show and actually made a funny (a good one too) instead of freaking out from stage fright like any normal internet shut-in would have done. If he had just stayed like that, people would be defending him right now. He could have gone back to being that guy anytime by just growing up, getting over himself, and publicly re-thinking and renouncing his alt-right poo poo.

Tell me something, did C418 get comparatively shafted for his work on Minecraft? Without the relaxing music this game would not have hit me as an enjoyable experience like it did. I would have still played the hell out of the game for the technical promise that I saw in it, but the soul would have been sucked out of the experience. Something tells me that C418 came out of this with less than Notch's 4 billion dollars.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If he had just stayed like that, people would be defending him right now.

I mean, there are people defending him right now, they're just the scum of the earth.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They left his name in the credits, which I'm sure they gotta keep for legal reasons. But they should make it smaller than everyone else's name.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Unless there was something about it included in the contract when they bought the IP, there's no laws or rules about games credits.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Tell me something, did C418 get comparatively shafted for his work on Minecraft? Without the relaxing music this game would not have hit me as an enjoyable experience like it did. I would have still played the hell out of the game for the technical promise that I saw in it, but the soul would have been sucked out of the experience. Something tells me that C418 came out of this with less than Notch's 4 billion dollars.

Aren't the ghast sounds C418's cat? I think his cat needs to go to the vet.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Finally checking out the Bedrock version. Amazing how much more quickly and smoothly the chunks load. And I guess it's got almost all the same features as Java? Except the wack rear end new sword mechanics where you can't spam the attack?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Animal-Mother posted:

Finally checking out the Bedrock version. Amazing how much more quickly and smoothly the chunks load. And I guess it's got almost all the same features as Java? Except the wack rear end new sword mechanics where you can't spam the attack?

And the lack of any routine mob spawns at all; you only get the ones that spawn on chunk load apparently, no mobs spawning in dark caves (above ground might work). It's a big famous bug that they're famously unresponsive about

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

And the lack of any routine mob spawns at all; you only get the ones that spawn on chunk load apparently, no mobs spawning in dark caves (above ground might work). It's a big famous bug that they're famously unresponsive about

mobs can spawn in dark caves after the chunk loads, the issue is that the mob cap is fuckin insanely limiting and gets reached really quickly, especially if you're near water, where the game just constantly spawns a million drowned that never despawn. in fact, while there is a hard cap, that cap doesn't seem to apply to mobs that can see the sky, so nighttime mobs and underwater mobs are not affected by the cap, but still apparently contribute to it, which is why you almost never see new mobs spawn in caves and such since those underwater and nighttime mobs don't despawn.

in fact, *nothing* ever despawns except untamed passive mobs, which can despawn even when they are really close to you. any hostile mobs that spawn anywhere on the map will never, ever despawn at all, which is surely a major contributor to the extremely broken spawn mechanics in bedrock, and has the side effect of making areas completely chock full of creepers (ask any of the number of people who joined my realm only to get insta-killed by the horde of creepers near spawn), or even just full of skeletons that will shoot you in broad daylight since they don't sespawn and are not affected by sunlight when they're out of render range. it's a real bummer that the spawn mechanics are so goddamn stupid in bedrock because in every other way it is a lot better than java imo.

mojang has not been helpful at all by both saying that the spawn mechanics are working as intended and are a necessary part of making the game possible on smartphones, while also acknowledging the spawn mechanics as a bug in their official bug tracker for going on two years now without a single peep of how they plan on addressing any of it. it is very frustrating.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 29, 2019

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Yeah, it's quite ridiculous how that issue is not fixed yet.

But I guess without huge glaring bugs Minecraft wouldn't be Minecraft any more, so they keep it in until they can find another bug to replace it with.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Did the original Pocket Edition have the spawn bug? Because if it didn't, then that explanation is flat out bull poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ToastyPotato posted:

Did the original Pocket Edition have the spawn bug? Because if it didn't, then that explanation is flat out bull poo poo.

it's still flat-out bullshit because there appears to be no cap, or at least a much, much MUCH higher cap, on mobs that are able to see the sky. like the amount of drowned around my archipelago in my realm is absolutely fuckin insane, and the number of mobs that spawn at night is also extremely high. it really seems to mostly be an issue in areas that cannot see the sky, i.e. mostly caves, and i really don't fuckin get it. and frankly if this is somehow a case of making the game usable on smartphones, well then i'm sorry but if a given smartphone model can't handle java edition-style spawn mechanics then maybe it's time to just cut support to that model.