Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Psst the game had sales before the deal, fishmech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Psst the game had sales before the deal, fishmech

Psst Notch ain't got $4 billion he ain't even got $2 billion. I mean poo poo you don't even know Bel Air ain't the same place as Beverly Hills though.

When Notch sold Mojang nearly 5 years ago, there had been a total of ~56 million copies of Minecraft sold across all platforms which included a ton of the reduced price Minecraft versions on phones at the time. So there wasn't even a billion bucks in sales yet at that point, much less him getting to keep all that money.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Are you Notch

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Prove that you're not Notch, right now

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah guys Notch isn't even that rich he doesn't even have 2 billion dollars, only 1.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Whalley posted:

I feel like these farms are explicitly made for youtubers/streamers, who generally either kill entire maps for getting resources (renewable clay sounds kinda great in a multiplayer setting) or need A Project To Do For A Video.

Yeah it's definitely overkill but still neat to see IMO. The new villager stuff seems kind of neat but at the same time makes them even harder to protect. They already die off in mystery while I'm offline as it is. I don't need anything else attacking them!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Prove that you're not Notch, right now

Haha fishmech is only ever called fishmech. Not a Nazi. Not anything else. Just fishmech.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

fishmech posted:

And also kinda did immediately blew a *few hundred million* moving across the world, getting the dumb house he barely used, a whole bunch of other dumb expensive crap and vacations etc.

What the gently caress? I know he bought a $70 million mansion, how the gently caress did he blow $130,000,000+ moving from Sweden and going on vacation? Even private flights to exotic mansions with 20 of your friends + the finest in alcohol and liquor don't cost this much money.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You might not know this about fishmech but he says wrong things. It's best to pretend you didn't notice

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I was gonna say that he probably always had somewhat similar feelings, but the internet is definitely a haven for far right wing ideologies and he's obviously unsociable and probably spends too much time on reddit and chan sites.

Actually...

https://notch.tumblr.com/post/28188312756/gender-in-minecraft

notch circa 2012 posted:

[Keep in mind I am no longer the lead developer on Minecraft, Jens is. This post is about what I thought about back when I was making it]
If it wasn’t for the fact that the default Minecraft character is referred to as “Minecraft Guy” and that I once jokingly answered “Steve?” when asked what his* name was, Minecraft would be a game where gender isn’t a gameplay element.

The human model is intended to represent a Human Being. Not a male Human Being or a female Human Being, but simply a Human Being. The blocky shape gives it a bit of a traditional masculine look, but adding a separate female mesh would just make it worse by having one specific model for female Human Beings and male ones. That would force players to make a decisions about gender in a game where gender doesn’t even exist.

All the other mobs in the game are genderless and usually exhibit the most prominent traits of both genders. Cows have horns and udders (even if I’ve later learned that there are some cows where the females do have horns), and the chicken/duck/whatevers have heads that look like roosters, but still lay eggs. For breeding, any animal can breed with any other animal of the same species.

Obviously, I’m not saying this is a good way to deal with gender in all games, as the better your graphics are, and because of how quickly the human mind tries to identify the gender of other humans, you are going to have to make a decision as a developer about gender, but I felt we could get away with it in Minecraft.

There’s no point to this post. I just wanted to clarify, so there’s an official word on it.

Also, as a fun side fact, it means every character and animal in Minecraft is homosexual because there’s only one gender to choose from. Take THAT, homophobes!

* I do regret using masculine terms to talk about the default character. These days I try to use the up-and-coming use of “they” as a genderless pronoun.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

What the gently caress? I know he bought a $70 million mansion, how the gently caress did he blow $130,000,000+ moving from Sweden and going on vacation? Even private flights to exotic mansions with 20 of your friends + the finest in alcohol and liquor don't cost this much money.

Around the time he first moved to the US, he was known to drop $100,000 to $200,000 a night at clubs in Vegas and other cities, paying huge amounts to host parties when he was home, and he reportedly spent a ton of money setting up his "Rubberbrain" company after Mojang which doesn't seem to have done anything of note. Also generally jetsetting around for parties and poo poo.

Which is also why it's extra funny that now all he does is sit and sulk as far as we can tell.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vib Rib posted:

That's really cool, and I'm marveling at the work that went into figuring out these mechanics and then exploiting them in a functional, reliable way. That said, the loot doesn't seem even remotely worth it.
Loot in MC is almost never worth it minus elytra

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Saddles from chests are pretty rad

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
riding horses makes me sad because of how awkward most of the overworld terrain is to traverse with them

there's always trees in the way, or mountains, or rivers, or something. I went to a lot of time on one world building roads to carry lots of items on with donkeys but I'm pretty sure clearing the path cost more time than it saved, and then you can get shulker boxes anyways, so...

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

IronicDongz posted:

riding horses makes me sad because of how awkward most of the overworld terrain is to traverse with them

there's always trees in the way, or mountains, or rivers, or something. I went to a lot of time on one world building roads to carry lots of items on with donkeys but I'm pretty sure clearing the path cost more time than it saved, and then you can get shulker boxes anyways, so...

Yeah but donkeys carrying shulker boxes... or a caravan of 10 llamas carrying shulker boxes.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

You can get a lot of saddles from an easy auto-fish farm nowadays. Horse armor, though, that is nice.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

But it's so trivial to make an AFK fishing farm, so long as you have a mending fishing rod you can just go AFK for a few hours and you'll have quite a few saddles as well as a lot of other nice stuff.

This is what I've used, I don't know if it still works though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlI9USjiCE

IronicDongz posted:

Same! In some parts of some worlds you can find large areas with lots of plains, deserts and savannas, so maybe not too many trees that need to be cut down, and if you follow rivers far enough you might be able to find somewhere where the water is only 1 block deep so you can ford it. But then all those biomes have random sink holes and ravines you can end up falling into while you're riding, so you need to scout out a route pretty well. Trying to cut down lots of trees to make a path through a forest certainly takes a long time!

Fortis posted:

a caravan of 10 llamas carrying shulker boxes.

Sounds like a good way to lose 9 llamas worth of shulker boxes :v: They always seem to come unstuck..

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
But caving is more fun than afk fish farming

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Ok I can't figure out if I'm losing my mind or if I'm looking in the wrong places but I can't figure out if there's a way to put named pins on maps in Bedrock edition on the Switch. Neither banners nor the cartography table seem to do it but surely this new update wouldn't skip the most useful possible thing they could do for maps in the game, right?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Does anyone know if they fixed the mob generation problem in the patch this week?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Does anyone know if they fixed the mob generation problem in the patch this week?

That sounds so much like the star citizen joke of, "Can you still fall through your ship?"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Lol, go gently caress yourself Notch

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1122858484385636352

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I like to imagine that the people organizing this had visions of rushing to cut Notch's mic as he opens the anniversary speech with the fourteen words

"no gently caress it he can stay in his mansion"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

As with anything now and forever, stay far, far away from the comments. :wtc:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Comments on news sites literally turned me against democracy as a system of government. These people shouldn't be allowed near sharp or pointy objects; asking their input on how to run a nationstate is outright madness.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I looked at the replies and all I see are people delighted by this, so that's good.

Also apparently it has been decided that Hatsune Miku is the creator of Minecraft now. I'm also OK with this.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
vider gamers dont vote

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I looked at the replies and all I see are people delighted by this, so that's good.

Also apparently it has been decided that Hatsune Miku is the creator of Minecraft now. I'm also OK with this.

The tweets seem mostly fine, the comments on the article are however terrible.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Veotax posted:

The tweets seem mostly fine, the comments on the article are however terrible.

People pretending as hard as they can that they just can't understand why Notch is being persecuted so. gently caress 'em and their disingenuous bullshit

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I still follow Notch, and every now and then I'll see a thread roll by that makes me WTF.

A platform is a hell of a drug.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://classic.minecraft.net

You can run Minecraft Classic in your browser and you’ll soon see why. With just 32 blocks to build with, all the original bugs, and an (inter)face only a mother could love, Minecraft 2009 is even more glorious than we remembered! You’re in for a real treat, particularly if you’re really into dyed wool (and who isn’t it?) Click here to go back to a simpler time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Pretty sure the $4B number comes from the game’s sales figures multiplied by its price, since it never goes on sale.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Disappointing Pie posted:

https://classic.minecraft.net

You can run Minecraft Classic in your browser and you’ll soon see why. With just 32 blocks to build with, all the original bugs, and an (inter)face only a mother could love, Minecraft 2009 is even more glorious than we remembered! You’re in for a real treat, particularly if you’re really into dyed wool (and who isn’t it?) Click here to go back to a simpler time.

Can you start a world-ending fire? I miss those.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe not, apparently you can flood the entire underground cavern system practically to the ceilings in an instant though

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Maybe not, apparently you can flood the entire underground cavern system practically to the ceilings in an instant though

Ohhh lava runs are back!!!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Water and lava used to just expand to all the blocks below them outwardly and endlessly. “Lava survival” where a lava block spawned in a corner of the map and you tried to build a base that would survive while ruining other peoples’ was the poo poo back in the day even though the death penalty was just swimming in endless lava since there wasn’t even a health bar yet.

Actually I kind of miss that, it was pretty fun. In retrospect anyway.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Infinite lava takes me back to the days of Infiniminer and just building poo poo instead of playing the objective, hoping the dev would embrace it and add more support for creative gameplay...

Fuzz Boxer
Apr 28, 2007

sticking with whatever fails
Anyone else having trouble convincing villagers to get it on?

I l know it's about beds now and no longer doors, and they need to be willing from trading and have food in invy. The two worlds I've started had plenty of beds and trading. they would breed at first but eventually they would die in dumb ways like walking through camp fires or what not stop reproducing for some reason. I'm building them rad villages but they eventually just all die out.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm looking to update my old resource pack, Revival. Does anyone know of/have any maps with impressive medieval-ish/fantasy builds? Preferably something modern enough to utilize the newer blocks like granite and such. I need something to test on and I like to see how people actually use blocks in practice. I used to test on WilsonSMP, but that died long ago RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

SMP posted:

I'm looking to update my old resource pack, Revival. Does anyone know of/have any maps with impressive medieval-ish/fantasy builds? Preferably something modern enough to utilize the newer blocks like granite and such. I need something to test on and I like to see how people actually use blocks in practice. I used to test on WilsonSMP, but that died long ago RIP.

Try here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864082