Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The last edition of Minecraft I ever played was the one with Life in the Woods: Renaissance. Is there a way to mod the version of Minecraft that comes with windows 10, I booted it up and it seems you buy resource packs and stuff, and the "mods" are just map packs? I heard on the giant bombcast about some insane new shader mod that totally changes the way minecraft looks, even moreso than the stuff that LITW came with, and I'm curious if it goes with the non-java version. I've become too attached to things like Magnet Mode(attracts all loose blocks to you instead of having to walk over them) and elaborate cooking mods, but the speed at which the non-java minecraft loads and the amount of chunks it can load by default is fantastic, plus the worldgen seems much improved from java vanilla minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Mods are only for the Java version, yeah.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
While mods are only for the Java version, at least in the Win10 version you don't have to wait ages when a new patch comes out while the modders (hopefully) mod the game to work with the new patch. The stuff you buy will continue to work through patches.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Mayveena posted:

While mods are only for the Java version, at least in the Win10 version you don't have to wait ages when a new patch comes out while the modders (hopefully) mod the game to work with the new patch. The stuff you buy will continue to work through patches.

Hmm, ok. But, counterpoint: Mods.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Arkitektbmw posted:

Hmm, ok. But, counterpoint: Mods.

To each their own :) I play Java but pure vanilla, I like playing with the latest version.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in most cases, mods add way, way more than the base game ever does. LITW in particular yielded like a thousand hours for me, and renaissance half that. so I was really hoping there'd been a way to mod the non-java minecraft since it redid the entire thing so the core game runs far better than any previous version. That combined with mods would rule, what's keeping folks from modding it, in particular? Better code obfuscation?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Whyyyyyyyy is it obfuscated at all. What are they afraid of. Idiots

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
We can mod the Java unhampered because natural method 📴 execution allows you to dumb in all the extra Java you want and obliterate game code.

The new version runs like conventional program with no extra way added in to allow deep system modification. Modding is strict possible but noone has made anything useful from it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

We can mod the Java unhampered because natural method 📴 execution allows you to dumb in all the extra Java you want and obliterate game code.

Well the Java code is obsfucated upon packaging and the biggest delay to mod updates is reversing that so that we know where everything is again. But it's doable easily, just takes a bit of extra time. It's dumb and honestly they should just let the code out raw at this point given how much it's been pulled apart.

Captain Invictus posted:

That combined with mods would rule, what's keeping folks from modding it, in particular? Better code obfuscation?

The non-java version is a proper program compiled to real machine code. It's technically possible to decompile it, edit, and recompile, but the result is near impossible to work with. Java modding is done because Java basically distributes half-compiled source code and compiles it as you run.

Any other game with extensive modding has a real modding API. Minecraft Java modding is more like hacking the game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 16, 2019

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Minecraft modding is both a positive and a detractor for Java Minecraft. The quality of the community and the mods themselves varies widely.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

The new version runs like conventional program with no extra way added in to allow deep system modification. Modding is strict possible but noone has made anything useful from it.

Isn't it UWP, which is sandboxed and somewhat more difficult to inject code into?

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
I like playing minecraft on switch and having a bit of fun :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For the record, MS is developing a scripting API for bedrock. It's currently in open beta, I believe. I don't know if there's been much uptake, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HiKaizer posted:

Minecraft modding is both a positive and a detractor for Java Minecraft. The quality of the community and the mods themselves varies widely.
You know, you can just not use the bad mods.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

You know, you can just not use the bad mods.

Because hey when you are browsing mods, they say BAD MOD. Seriously.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mayveena posted:

Because hey when you are browsing mods, they say BAD MOD. Seriously.

Well, sometimes, yeah.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Well, sometimes, yeah.

I don't want to bother finding it, but looking at those textures makes me want to post the cat puking gif.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arkitektbmw posted:

I don't want to bother finding it, but looking at those textures makes me want to post the cat puking gif.
Lovingly nostalgic for the days when 95% of Minecraft mods were "100+ new tools!" mods and palette-shifted diamond armor.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYKxBKj29dI

So...Pokemon Go punch a tree?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sure, why not. poo poo, my mom's even talking about it already.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
So I made a thing...

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Holy poo poo. :eyepop:

How much of that did you do in survival?

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
It's all survival. It took me a month to mine that out, then make the creeper farm and the wither farm.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Hell yeah that's bad rear end

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What in the goddamn am I even looking at? Charged creeper farming? Wither skull generator?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

What in the goddamn am I even looking at? Charged creeper farming? Wither skull generator?

It looks like a combination charged creeper/wither skeleton farm setup, so you get maximal wither skulls. :stare:

I didn't know such a thing was possible

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
I'm using ilmango's piston-driven creeper farm 24-60m out from the center in a circle. The advantage of this build is that it doesn't require voluntary movement by the creepers, so I can take up a large area without worrying about them freezing in place 32+m away.

I funnel them into a 5x5 holding cell and then grab them one at a time with a minecart dispenser in the corner.

That minecart goes up a short ramp and then skids to a stop on an unpowered rail facing down. The window looking at that rail is arranged such that the creeper can't see me, so it won't try to detonate.

I fished up several hundred nametags and bought several thousand more from others on my server. I use these nametags at the window to make the creepers persistent, then send them into a massive holding tank separated into 10 sections.

Each section is 2m tall and 7m wide. I save up about 400 creepers at a time, which is possible because nametags both prevent them from despawning and cause the mob cap calculation to ignore them.

On the roof of each section is a 1x1 cell into which I toss chicken eggs to get a chicken. Then I wait for a storm and throw a channeling trident at the chicken to summon lightning. The creepers below are close enough that they become charged, and since they're in water they don't burn for long. The advantage of summoning lightning on a chicken is that I can keep the creepers in a totally enclosed cell with no risk that they'll see me and detonate.

From that massive holding cell I funnel them into another 5x5 cell with a minecart dispenser. Next to that is a similar cell underneath a nether portal. I lure wither skeletons through the portal in the nether where my alt account is waiting. My alt pushes a button which summons minecarts for both cells, dropping the skeleton and creeper into a tank of water. Then I light the creeper with a flint and tinder. Since it's in water it doesn't destroy any blocks, but it does kill any nearby mobs in water. This gets me a 100% drop rate on skulls.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

SMP posted:

I'm looking to update my old resource pack, Revival. Does anyone know of/have any maps with impressive medieval-ish/fantasy builds? Preferably something modern enough to utilize the newer blocks like granite and such. I need something to test on and I like to see how people actually use blocks in practice. I used to test on WilsonSMP, but that died long ago RIP.

Oh poo poo it's SMP! Dude, I still use your texture pack (with tweaks done by Enzer_Deleo of WilsonSMP) to play. Right now I mostly do terrain with worldpainter, but I have access to a few old builds from WSMP including this sky island version of a big ol' mansion:

https://imgur.com/X5yj3KN

The folks I've been cooperating with are also putting together some new colorful blocks, which Enzer converted to your art style: (please ignore the concrete in the background, it's a consequence of how I have to paint modded blocks in WP 1.12 that will be fixed once the modding scene switches to 1.13+)

https://imgur.com/jNZayBl

And some new fancy colorful blocks, as shown here:

https://imgur.com/7AaDY7Z

You may want to track him down and see what he's been up to. Also, I can provide at least some schematics of old WSMP builds from the Brickston and Bellshire city builds. Failing in that, check planet minecraft for big ol' medieval builds, as there are tons for download nowadays.

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 22, 2019

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

What version of MC is your server running?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

plushpuffin posted:

This gets me a 100% drop rate on skulls.

Nice! I've been thinking about farming charged creepers and wither skeletons but never thought about combining them. Do you have a way of getting creeper heads out of this? Just put two creepers in there?

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

TheDK posted:

What version of MC is your server running?

It's running 1.13.2 right now

Buttcoin purse posted:

Nice! I've been thinking about farming charged creepers and wither skeletons but never thought about combining them. Do you have a way of getting creeper heads out of this? Just put two creepers in there?

Yes you can add 2 creepers. I don't have it set up for that right now but I would use non-nametagged uncharged creepers dropped into the wither cell for that. There are also some skeleton and zombie spawners nearby that I could add, but right now I'm focused on getting beacons.

It's been running for about 2 weeks so far and I've gotten ~16 stacks of beacons out of it. I'm splitting them with a partner who helped me dig out the pit and slab the nether.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What do you do for actually fighting the Wither?

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Vib Rib posted:

What do you do for actually fighting the Wither?

I smother it in the nether roof. The bedrock roof has exactly the same topology on all worlds, so you can just inspect it in creative mode looking for a 3x3 flat area of bedrock to use. Build the wither sideways with 1m of air between the body and the bedrock and it will flip when it spawns, putting its heads in the bedrock where it can't attack and will take constant damage.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Those screenshots, that is beauty right there. Especially love the water flow stuff, over the glass, where each level barely tapers off into the next. Brings me back to my giant creeper auto-flushing toilet machine on the Goontube map.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Priapus Unbound posted:

Oh poo poo it's SMP! Dude, I still use your texture pack (with tweaks done by Enzer_Deleo of WilsonSMP) to play. Right now I mostly do terrain with worldpainter, but I have access to a few old builds from WSMP including this sky island version of a big ol' mansion:

https://imgur.com/X5yj3KN

The folks I've been cooperating with are also putting together some new colorful blocks, which Enzer converted to your art style: (please ignore the concrete in the background, it's a consequence of how I have to paint modded blocks in WP 1.12 that will be fixed once the modding scene switches to 1.13+)

https://imgur.com/jNZayBl

And some new fancy colorful blocks, as shown here:

https://imgur.com/7AaDY7Z

You may want to track him down and see what he's been up to. Also, I can provide at least some schematics of old WSMP builds from the Brickston and Bellshire city builds. Failing in that, check planet minecraft for big ol' medieval builds, as there are tons for download nowadays.

Thanks man! Unfortunately, the problem with old Wilson builds is that A) they don't use the new blocks and B) It seems a lot of the stuff was built with custom textures in mind? If you've got anything new and cool made with the 1.13+ blocks (and also vanilla Revival compatible), hit me up!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

plushpuffin posted:

I smother it in the nether roof. The bedrock roof has exactly the same topology on all worlds, so you can just inspect it in creative mode looking for a 3x3 flat area of bedrock to use. Build the wither sideways with 1m of air between the body and the bedrock and it will flip when it spawns, putting its heads in the bedrock where it can't attack and will take constant damage.

You can do that? Since when? Also, I'm a long time modded Minecraft player but very little pure vanilla, so that build you posted earlier is just crazy to consider. Meanwhile I'm just using a beheading cleaver from TiCon.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/ihavemp4/status/1146798750142205952

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Started playing this again with some friends after like, 7 years of not putting more than 20 minutes into it.

Sadly the W10 version crashes every time I try to use the skin I made 9 years ago or any custom skin (Using Bedrock Edition because of crossplay).

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

After playing minecraft a loooong time ago (before enchanting was a thing), me and 3 friends started again a few months ago. My friends don't play that much though and the server feels kind of empty. Any tips on how to find chill players that may want to join?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Reddit's probably your best bet honestly, but unless you're running a heavily modded setup with some kind of never-before-seen gimmick, you're probably going to be disappointed. The griefer:legit player ratio will be like 5:1 and most of the legit players will get bored and disappear after an initial flurry.

You can try posting in the Private Game Servers subforum but pretty much every goon who plays minecraft already plays on one of the existing servers.