Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

I've started a server to play this with some friends. We've done it before, but it has been a while, back when you couldn't take damage in multiplayer. It worked fine then, so I downloaded all the new stuff, fired it back up, had some people log in to test it, and it was going great. Until I logged in. It starts off fine, but blocks respawn a bit until I start moving around. After doing a little exploring, after about a minute, my client starts freezing and it jumps up to taking around 2 gigs of RAM and 90+% of my processor. When it does this, it also starts eating up everything the server has. I'm running a quad-core 2.4ghz with 8 gigs of ram, the server is a dual-core 3ghz with 4 gigs. I'm not sure how much this should be taking, but it definitely doesn't seem right.

I've allocated more RAM for both the server and the client, but that just seems to delay the amount of time it takes for everything to freeze a little bit. Any ideas?

Is it the same map, same player, same inventory that you used since before?

Try deleting your player.dat, or kill yourself (in game!) in a deep, wide pool of lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Semisponge posted:

Uh...

Clearly it's an organic diode. :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Minarchist posted:

Is it the same map, same player, same inventory that you used since before?

Try deleting your player.dat, or kill yourself (in game!) in a deep, wide pool of lava.

No, new map and have formatted since then.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Okay, I just found a single room with Mossy Stone, a mob spawner and a chest in a 1.8 generated world. Are old style "dungeons" still in? I thought Mineshafts and Strongholds were replacing them. Or did they and I just found one small part of a Stronghold?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Okay, I just found a single room with Mossy Stone, a mob spawner and a chest in a 1.8 generated world. Are old style "dungeons" still in? I thought Mineshafts and Strongholds were replacing them. Or did they and I just found one small part of a Stronghold?

Dungeons are still all over the place.

I found three side-by-side in a ravine earlier today.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I found a dungeon, complete with skeleton spawner. It was in the middle of a mineshaft, right next to a cave spider spawner.

Turns out skeletons are a pain in the butt when combined with an unfortunate water flow, spider webs, poison, and narrow passages!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, after posting that I've found like 3 more despite not finding a single one before today even though I got 1.8 with the first pre-release. Weird. Oh well, Mossy Stone time!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Man I keep crashing now like once every 3 minutes. Only mod is the map from Yogbox. Anyone else finding 1.8 more unstable?

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
There's definitely something wrong with 1.8. A lot of people have been complaining about that "out of memory" error since the update.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

updating java fixed that for me. I was using 32 instead of 64. Uninstalled 32, installed 64, and haven't crashed once since! Try updating java!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I know animals don't despawn, but what about monsters? Do they vanish or are they permanent now as well?And would zombie pigmen be considered a monster or animal in terms of respawning?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I haven't had any crashes besides the furnace one in pre1. I think it's increased mem usage finally coming to a head and needing 64-bit java on 64-bit OSes.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Edit: I don't know what's causing the "out of memory" error for everyone; I haven't seen it once in 1.8, even the pre and pre2 versions.

Bash Ironfist posted:

updating java fixed that for me. I was using 32 instead of 64. Uninstalled 32, installed 64, and haven't crashed once since! Try updating java!

If you're still using 32 bit browsers, you should have both. They're not mutually exclusive.

Also, I don't know if anyone else launches Minecraft through Steam, but using 64 bit Java breaks the Steam overlay in Minecraft. (I mostly use it for screenshots, which I can then upload to my Steam profile.)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Was considering starting up a server with minehost.org, but I am not very good at administrating a server. Any suggestions? I am just coming back from a lapse in play..from back around 1.5..so I'd have to relearn any admin stuff I learned.

I'm probably just getting the 256mb server if I get one..7 person limit.

Edit:

Reason I want my own server is because I can never find a server that fits me..and the ones I do find I end up getting poo poo reset on me or griefed or some other random annoyance.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

kas posted:

What browser are you using? Because I use firefox and the preview images are working normally for me - clicking the picture selects that option.

Firefox 5, I tested again and it still happens.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
I'm havin' a little problem where Minecraft won't start up at all for me. I've tried the in-browser version, the executable, and also uninstalling and reinstalling. The browser ver. gives a white screen and the desktop ver. crashes instantly after downloading packages. Any idea what's going on?

e: Java is up to date and everything, too.

e2: nvm

UberChair fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 17, 2011

Tpz
Mar 20, 2011

Obscurity posted:

Was considering starting up a server with minehost.org, but I am not very good at administrating a server. Any suggestions? I am just coming back from a lapse in play..from back around 1.5..so I'd have to relearn any admin stuff I learned.

I'm probably just getting the 256mb server if I get one..7 person limit.

Edit:

Reason I want my own server is because I can never find a server that fits me..and the ones I do find I end up getting poo poo reset on me or griefed or some other random annoyance.

Try Wilsons. Thread is up on Private servers.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Trying my hand at another Adventure map. Found a cool cave underground, built a minecraft track leading out, and now I'm building a giant temple of sorts.

This one has pistons that open up in the center of the floor via a lever in the top door. Not sure where to go from there but I always tend to build these things backward. Eventually you'll go in the floor and there'll be some sort of puzzle-boss in an Isle de la Seda style. Gonna try to build three or four temples total, methinks.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
This has probably been said a bunch of times already but man, the new world generation and dungeons in 1.8 are incredible. Just found an abandoned mine filled with cobwebs, tried to hack my way through the cobwebs with my sword and the gravel roof collapsed on me. That was a close call, probably wasn't an intentional 'trap' but if it was it's just perfect.

Suddenly Tentacles
Sep 14, 2008

kas posted:

What browser are you using? Because I use firefox and the preview images are working normally for me - clicking the picture selects that option.

I've had the same problem as him, and I use chrome.

C-BOX
Feb 7, 2010

by Debbie Metallica

Suddenly Tentacles posted:

I've had the same problem as him, and I use chrome.

Yeah, it's happening to me in Chrome too. The radio buttons work but selecting the tiny image to the right of the button just refreshes the page and resets all of the options.

Frock Lobster
Jun 11, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So I know animals don't despawn, but what about monsters? Do they vanish or are they permanent now as well?And would zombie pigmen be considered a monster or animal in terms of respawning?

Monsters spawn and despawn as normal. I think zombie pigmen are categorized as monsters (they disappear if you switch to peaceful).

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Vargs posted:

So I've started playing Minecraft again after quitting a little bit before pistons were released, and I'm having a bit of a problem.

When I destroy or place blocks, the game doesn't seem to visually update that fact until quite awhile later. Often several minutes. Newly placed blocks still block my progress, even though I can't see them at all on my screen. I can pass through recently destroyed blocks, even though they appear to still be there. Sometimes placing torches nearby forces the blocks to update, but not always.

From a few pages back, but the same thing happened to me with the 1.8 update. A lot of weird graphics glitches where I would destroy a block, it would still be there visually, but I could walk through the space. Also, when I would walk around, sometimes the ground would disappear and I could see tunnels and caves down below the surface. It wasn't a brief flash though, it would actually stay transparent for a while, which was actually helpful in locating some tunnels to mess around in.

1.8.1 seems to have lowered the number of times this has happened or it could just be coincidence. The only thing I can say that helped was saving and quitting and restarting Minecraft.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
Those mine shafts are a pain in the rear end. It wouldn't be so bad if they were occasional, but it seems that undeground is saturated with them, and they make getting lost so ridiculously easy because they always bisect each other creating infinite corridor grids. On the plus side, you're practically tripping over chests, but come on, less mine shafts please.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Semisponge posted:

Uh...

What am I looking at?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SMP posted:

Curse required all texture pack creators to add a copyright thing to their threads, under the threat of removal.

:geno:
That's ridiculous
Could you even legitimately copyright a texture pack

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If it's original art, maybe? The assets are no longer the official ones, that 16x16 pixel pumpkin could be any 16x16 pixel pumpkin!

Though I don't know much about copyright so don't go by what I'm saying too much.

e: Regardless, why you would bother copyrighting the things is beyond me.

fakeedit: I always laugh when I hear this copyrighted bullshit the commmunity spews. Has anyone there actually taken the time to file for copyright? I highly doubt it. They're all just writing words down that sound legalese except not really because I doubt any of them know legalese either.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Quick question about texturepacks: If I want to completely remove biome coloring, do I still have to have to edit minecraft.jar, or does it actually load the blank biome image from texturepacks?

Edit: Same question about lightmaps for clean/bloodmoon on painterly.

GreatKesh posted:

That's ridiculous
Could you even legitimately copyright a texture pack
Original art.
Although having it stick in court is another story, but the mods can go "This texturepack was made first, you copied. We do not tolerate copyright infringement" and therefor boot their rear end out.

That's what I'd use it for, at least. No tolerance for art thieves.

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 17, 2011

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Redstone question time!

I have a nice fancy piston door that works great, but it'd be neat if it could close automatically after ~5 seconds. My current setup is a button, hooked up to a flip-flip circuit that will toggle when the button is pushed, but I'd really like it to just hold the circuit in an off state for 5 seconds. is this possible?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

FirePhoenix posted:

e: Regardless, why you would bother copyrighting the things is beyond me.

fakeedit: I always laugh when I hear this copyrighted bullshit the commmunity spews. Has anyone there actually taken the time to file for copyright? I highly doubt it. They're all just writing words down that sound legalese except not really because I doubt any of them know legalese either.

Not a lawyer, but you don't need to file for a copyright. You just create something, and if its copyrightable (ie. not trivial or whatever), bam, you have the copyright.

Tommy Calamari
Feb 25, 2006

You see, there are three things that spur the mollusk from the sand
I found a village with a ravine through it.

It looked pretty dumb, the paths continued on the bottom of the ravine.

I'm digging the new distinct biomes and proper oceans (at last!), but I was hoping the biomes were bigger. You can climb a peak and see just about every type of biome around you.

Has savannah also gone alone with the snow?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Vanadium posted:

Not a lawyer, but you don't need to file for a copyright. You just create something, and if its copyrightable (ie. not trivial or whatever), bam, you have the copyright.

Huh, really? Maybe I was mixing up copyright and patent.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Has the spawn rate of diamond dramatically changed? I'm finding Iron, Coal and reasonable amounts of Gold. But bugger all diamonds now. Mind you I tend to spelunk for it down in the lava pool regions at around y13, because strip mining is dull, but I'm finding bugger all.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I forgot how much fun it was to just turn the world to Peaceful and go explore.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
What's the "world type" for under the world generation settings? Is notch really going to add the old generation settings back like he said he would?

Oh yeah, has he said anything about making the biomes larger and re-adding in the snow ones?

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 18, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
World Type crashes your computer and formats your hard drive. Don't click it.

Notch has removed the snow biomes permanently because they don't fit his "vision" for the game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Before this gets out of hand, those are both really stupid questions that could be answered with mere seconds of research.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arach posted:

Has the spawn rate of diamond dramatically changed? I'm finding Iron, Coal and reasonable amounts of Gold. But bugger all diamonds now. Mind you I tend to spelunk for it down in the lava pool regions at around y13, because strip mining is dull, but I'm finding bugger all.

It seems like most of the resources got cranked up but not diamonds. They're still down there but I'm finding them at about the same rate as I did before while I'm swimming in iron and gold.

My new house is perfectly safe from Endermen:

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Broken Loose posted:

What am I looking at?

Two stems attached to one melon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Ravines/Mines make it easier to find diamond than before, I'm finding. Or any material at all. Before you could explore caves but it was easier to just make mines once you had good mining tools; now that you can find massive ravines and scan the walls and just vacuum up tons of coal/iron/gold, as well as easily find exposed mines/caves.

Broken Loose posted:

Before this gets out of hand, those are both really stupid questions that could be answered with mere seconds of research.

cool thanks for the update on your double shitpost combo

I'm curious too; what is that grayed out world type thing for? Is it just the toggle for adventure mode or will you be able to make floating island/hell maps again in the future? :allears:

I don't think he's said anything about making biomes larger but snow biomes will be back eventually.