Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EightBit posted:

They really should just put Jeb and Notch in "idea guy" positions and get them away from the code.

Notch, yes. Jeb's the one responsible for any non-buggy releases and code these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I've been a fool and accidentally deleted this awesome seed without writing down the seed properly

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 18, 2011

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Can servers be given a seed for map gen yet? With the use of bukkit would be preferred. (well for when they release the new 1.8 wrapper)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm having a strange bug. I updated Minecraft, and now it crashes whenever I go to video settings. I deleted minecraft.exe, the entire minecraft app data folder, Optifine and MCPatcher, and downloaded a fresh .exe. I'm wondering if I missed something when I was trying to wipe stuff for a clean install. Searching for minecraft or mcpatcher doesn't turn anything else up. How do I get a totally clean install of Minecraft? I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit.

Edit: Looks like I had not, in fact, deleted the appdata folder. Trying again!

Edit 2: Fixed! I am An Moron.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 18, 2011

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

TehKeen posted:

powered minecarts

powered rails

Wait until you find more gold; powered minecarts are terrible. (I seem to recall notch or jeb_ saying they would make improvements, probably for 1.9.) You only need 2-3 segments of powered track to start (if you butt the end up against a wall and put a button on the wall above it, it'll launch the cart if its on the first segment when you press the button) and one every 35 track segments or so (with a redstone torch next to or under it) to maintain speed on a flat surface.

Krinkle posted:

can you ride a track in a circle for a while to get the achievement or does it seriously have to be a mile in absolute distance?

You have to ride it a kilometer away from where you started. I made a video of it when I got it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZSrtFWiAY

mrwuss posted:

Can servers be given a seed for map gen yet? With the use of bukkit would be preferred. (well for when they release the new 1.8 wrapper)

You have two options - there's an entry for level-seed in the server.properties, or you can generate the world in single player and copy it to the server, setting the world name appropriately in the server.properties. (This makes it possible to convert a single player world into a multiplayer world.)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Which goon minecraft server should I start playing on? Too many.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Dominoes posted:

Which goon minecraft server should I start playing on? Too many.
I don't play on any at the moment, but when I did, Wilson's was always the best.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
So, me and some friends of mine, we found this nice little village on the "Something Awful" seed and decided to turn it into a little village.

code:
Seed: Something Awful
Coordinates:
x:    117
y:     71
z:     54
It took some work.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Mordaedil posted:

So, me and some friends of mine, we found this nice little village on the "Something Awful" seed and decided to turn it into a little village.

It took some work.

We did the same thing on Penislandia, we founded all our towns on NPC villages, this one was right by spawn. We've dubbed it NPCton. We expanded it to the south a ways, and are working on building more outlying settlements to the north and east.

Plus the black and red flags own hard.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm really liking being able to switch between creative and survival for new seeds with NBTedit. Building my last house in survival was a complete bitch, especially when I decided I wanted a powered rail system in the place and had to re-model half of the place and ruined a few picks in the process. If I want to mess with my setup now I just switch to creative and do what I need to do.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

TheSteelCurtain posted:

For some reason whenever I start a game in SP or MP the game will not load any of the world, it looks like I am using a wall hack. All I can see is the outlines of blocks and sometimes lava or monsters. Anyone else have this issue? I've tried re installing it a couple times as well as removing my texture packs yet it won't go away.

Mine was doing that for a while, I deleted .roaming and updated java and seemed to fix it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
How do I know if I'm using 32 bit or 64 bit java, as the memory trick isn't letting me use more than 1024 meg before it gives an error. (virtual machine could not be loaded)

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Getting a weird issue with spawns in SMP. We originally spawned in a forest. Now we're spawning in the ocean a few hundred blocks away.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mrwuss posted:

He also said it was impossible to do colored light. Community proved him wrong and it ended up in the game.

He said it was with his light engine. Which it was. It required rewriting the engine to do it

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

crazylakerfan posted:

He said it was with his light engine. Which it was. It required rewriting the engine to do it

Well the community didn't have to rewrite the light engine. It's more of Notch opinion of doing it 'right' would be impossible with what he had right then.

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 18, 2011

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

YOURFRIEND posted:

^^^^^^^
He was being "ironic"

I understand you're trying to imply that I don't read the thread, and you're correct. However my questions didn't show up in the last couple of pages, and they aren't in the OP, and expecting me to read 80+ pages of people posting about their favorite seeds is demanding a lot and it's not going to happen. Rather, you can get over it and answer my question, or ignore my post and not respond at all. Either way, the content of the thread is improved.

I wasn't implying that you do not read at all, I was in fact meaning myself. I was convinced by the guy's satire of saying snow biomes were not going into the game and I wanted to argue that they in fact, will be be in the game, but as soon as I posted I realised it was satire.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Playing with TNT in creative mode is just too much fun.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I'm using Painterly, and I swear I saw someone else with this issue.. Endermen, Spiders and a few other things all have a plain white texture. Anyone recall what you're supposed to do to fix that?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

glug posted:

I'm using Painterly, and I swear I saw someone else with this issue.. Endermen, Spiders and a few other things all have a plain white texture. Anyone recall what you're supposed to do to fix that?

If I recall correctly MCPatcher fixes this issue.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

How do I know if I'm using 32 bit or 64 bit java, as the memory trick isn't letting me use more than 1024 meg before it gives an error. (virtual machine could not be loaded)

AFAIK, you only specifically have 64 bit if you manually downloaded it using IE 64 bit or similar method.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

hogofwar posted:

If I recall correctly MCPatcher fixes this issue.

WOrks like a charm, thanks.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hadlock posted:

AFAIK, you only specifically have 64 bit if you manually downloaded it using IE 64 bit or similar method.

This is true unless it changed recently.

The java site won't serve you the 64 bit version unless you to there in 64 bit IE. No other browser works.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

ThndrShk2k posted:

Well the community didn't have to rewrite the light engine. It's more of Notch opinion of doing it 'right' would be impossible with what he had right then.

When did he say it was impossible? I only ever remember him saying it would not be easy.

http://twitter.com/!/notch/status/26684407641

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Dapper Man posted:

When did he say it was impossible? I only ever remember him saying it would not be easy.

http://twitter.com/!/notch/status/26684407641

He also mentioned multiple times about rewriting the light engine, along with other things, but that doesn't matter because the focus of my sentence was him doing it 'right'.

The main point is that Notch may say something is impossible, or hard, but that's only because he wants to do it the way he wants to do it, the 'right' way. If he wasn't spurgy about his game like that, then we would have all sorts of things already added into the game. We barely even got betterlight and other mods into the vanilla game because of Notch's temperment, which Jeb has been the community savior for doing not-stupid things.

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 18, 2011

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

ThndrShk2k posted:

He also mentioned multiple times about rewriting the light engine, along with other things, but that doesn't matter because the focus of my sentence was him doing it 'right'.

The main point is that Notch may say something is impossible, or hard, but that's only because he wants to do it the way he wants to do it, the 'right' way. If he wasn't spurgy about his game like that, then we would have all sorts of things already added into the game. We barely even got betterlight and other mods into the vanilla game because of Notch's temperment, which Jeb has been the community savior for doing not-stupid things.

The focus of my sentence was you not providing any source to your original statement... but whatever.

So he has aspergers because he want's to make the game the way he wants to? Are you saying that you know the right way to direct minecraft and he doesn't? Not trying to be combative, just don't know where you're going with this.

I mean, didn't jeb implement wolves? So much could have been done with that, but never was.

I think minecraft is going along at a good pace, and while some things could be handled better, I've gotten my monies worth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Death Himself posted:

This is true unless it changed recently.

The java site won't serve you the 64 bit version unless you to there in 64 bit IE. No other browser works.

Not true. You can get it in any other browser on the manual download page: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

ThndrShk2k posted:

It isn't really 'spurgy' (sic) to want to do things the right way. If you just chuck lovely quick-fixes into the code as you go, it's going to come back to bite you in the rear end later.

Not that I know anything about coding, or Notch's coding specifically, but the same is true with anything.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Dapper Man posted:

I mean, didn't jeb implement wolves? So much could have been done with that, but never was.

Notch did it for Molyneux as far as I knew.

im a girl btw posted:

It isn't really 'spurgy' (sic) to want to do things the right way. If you just chuck lovely quick-fixes into the code as you go, it's going to come back to bite you in the rear end later.

Not that I know anything about coding, or Notch's coding specifically, but the same is true with anything.
True, not having shoddy coding is good, and is a good coding practice. However Notch's initial and continual reluctance for code changes even by his own team points to he wants it done his way, because it's his game.

He's gotten better with it, but there's still him wanting to do it his way, the way he thinks is right. This is not a bad thing and it is his game, so it's his right to do it. I was just saying that to give a point of view on why it would be "impossible" to do things, in which modders do without a too hard of a time.

Anyway arguing over it is moot and just bickering over past things.

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 18, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Excuse me for not really knowing what I'm doing, but what do I do to play Minecraft without it killing itself for lack of memory every ten minutes?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

The tweak doesn't work for me either. I get an "invalid or corrupt jarfile" message on execution.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

ThndrShk2k posted:

Notch did it for Molyneux as far as I knew.

I know that was just because Notch is a fan of Molyneux, but whenever someone brings this up I like to picture Peter Molyneux as some kind of malevolent spirit who does nothing but give bad ideas to game designers who are forced to implement them.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
With how this game just refuses to play on any of my computers since the update, I have given up on Minecraft.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
It's been posted a million times but what worked for me is to download the 64-bit java: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

JGBeagle posted:

With how this game just refuses to play on any of my computers since the update, I have given up on Minecraft.

I got 35fps on normal back in september 2010, 1 year and 1 week later and I can barely push 20fps on tiny.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That solution doesn't really work for people not using a 64-bit OS.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Bolian Blues posted:

I know that was just because Notch is a fan of Molyneux, but whenever someone brings this up I like to picture Peter Molyneux as some kind of malevolent spirit who does nothing but give bad ideas to game designers who are forced to implement them.

Hey, Molyneux has some pretty great ideas. It's not his fault he's a game maker first, and game designer second. I would imagine if he had years to make a single game, something akin to Dwarf Fortress would pop out of him. But he makes games to sell, not because they're cool.

Vib Rib posted:

Even with 64bit OS, and 4GB of ram minecraft likes to go MEMORRRYYYY
Edit: tried the 'solution', game crashes after a while(doesn't when I just run it normally). Guess I'll have to close out of my other programs (like chrome) when I want to MC

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 18, 2011

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Vib Rib posted:

There really isn't an excuse not to be running a 64 bit OS now.

Gadaffi Duck
Jan 1, 2011

by Ozmaugh
There is if you're using a netbook.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Super Dude posted:

There really isn't an excuse not to be running a 64 bit OS now.

I don't run one because I don't have it. I also use a CRT monitor and a wired mouse and keyboard! And only 2 gigs of RAM :(

Newer poo poo's expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
When I started playing Minecraft in July 2010 in ran perfectly, about six months ago I picked it up and started to play again and began to crash every 2 to 3 minutes. I figured out my computer suddenly had an issue with rendering distance set to far, I switched it to the distance just below far and everything ran fine and I chalked it up to an issue with whatever patch was live at the time. I recently downloaded it again for the latest version after hearing all the changes in the adventure update and it's still loving crashing with rendering set to far. Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can fix it? It's frustrating the hell out of me because I can run any game I want to with the absolute highest settings and I can't fathom why my computer can't handle a far draw distance in this game.