Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

kas posted:

Notch buggered something up, so, much like the issue with compasses and watches, the game is reading a hard-coded path for the lighting colours, taken from the base game file, and ignoring the ones in texture packs.

I actually bugged Notch and Jeb about the compass/watch thing before and got some weird runaround answer about how it would be next to impossible to make the compass and watch graphics read from texture packs, which is ridiculous because mcpatcher makes it work just fine.

He also said it was impossible to do colored light. Community proved him wrong and it ended up in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Can servers be given a seed for map gen yet? With the use of bukkit would be preferred. (well for when they release the new 1.8 wrapper)

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

paraspam posted:

I don't understand how portals work and I'm having an issue with this one. I can enter the nether by using this portal can exit the nether and come back out at this portal. But if I spend a bit of time in the nether and try to exit, another portal appears quite close to this one but in a very wide open space. I don't want this new, exposed portal and only want the one I built. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this the way portals are supposed to function?

This is a common issue.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430275&pagenumber=5#post394470332

this will guide you through it

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Does the food bar go down when you're standing still (like if I'm eating in real life and have to afk on my server)?

Also I'm finding that the food bar is much less of a pain in the rear end in mines than out in the world or in my village, since I don't sprint at all when down in mines because there's not enough wide open spaces. I do wish there was an instant health food though, because occasionally you'll have to hovel in a corner and let your health regenerate.

Golden Apple seems to put regen in overdrive.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

You're entitled to an opinion, but you are freaking out over a snow-man model.

No?

Notch really is an awful coder. This isn't opinion anymore, seeing the uncluster-hosed sourcecode only leaves you scratching your head more at the lesser cluster-hosed source code.

Notch has ADHD if anyone has ever had it.

These aren't bad things, they are just bad things for the people wanting current issues corrected rather than new feature that will most likely be broken or break other features that work well.

It's been like this since....2009.

The frustration has nothing to do with a snowman, it could have been anything.

(except fence gates, those would be OK to add)

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Besides, notch has people working for him now, right? So he probably doesn't even actively have to look for bugs and has some people whose job-description isn't net-code fixing and thus had some time on the side to work on this.

Unless you think it's really a good idea to let your artists mess with code. That tends to be minecraft.

Well, it's true.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Are Seeds save in map files yet?

Can I seed a map in single player and keep that seed once I upload it to the server? (For all new chunks spawned)

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

gently caress the haters! This is awesome.

I want defensive turrets to build around my buildings so I can avoid littering the landscape with torches.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Unoriginal Name posted:

So villages from 1.8 don't get populated in 1.9?

Well, no since that is part of generation. It's not going to generate the village with zoidbergs.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

KakerMix posted:

This is terrible. Am I missing some sort of ironic meta humor or....

No, his voice is just loving awful.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Sylink posted:

Can someone clear this up, do changes to the terrain code mean you can continue using an existing world and any new chunks you activate will have the new poo poo?

This is correct.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Another call out by Notch! Simon and Lewis!

He's a bit behind in the times!

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

It would be nice, but space limitations of the block data would prevent it.

Can that not be rectified by notch, easily? Can't blocks just take up another byte to use for this?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

This is the most entertaining post that is also the most productive at the same time.

Anti adfly plugin, brings out the masses.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/298619-siteuserscript-deadfly-the-adflyadcraftco-bypasser/

forgot the link

Carrion Luggage fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 5, 2011

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Lol, talk about riding two horses

I like the comment from the people complaining about taking the money that the mod makers use to host the content.

If modders are hosting their files on their own servers with so many resources out there that are free, then they are idiots and should be mining bitcoins.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Macaluso posted:

edit: Second page, one of the replies comparing this to Obama. This is great.

harmless my rear end

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Are these from a mod? They seem to randomly show up as I am exploring. Nothing seems to be under them. There is a single light stone in the center.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

This is Mojang working on Minecraft, features will get put in and taken out and re-implemented with a complete and polar opposite function from what they were originally intended to do. See: Books. Now that we know that bookcases are only for enchanting tables and will never ever ever ever be used for writing your own personal Minecraft journal into, I'm stuck with my Bulletin Board Dirt Walls Full O'Signs.

As long as they're just throwing dimensions into the game all willy-nilly with no purpose, they should put in a "dream" dimension that has a percentage of occuring when you use a bed to sleep. It would be a strictly wireframe/AutoCAD 3D-ish dimension and on the "surface", the "blocks" are basically hollow outlined squares that comes in the primary colors of the rainbow whereas the "underground" is all in shades of grey. Obviously you wouldn't be able to take anything in or out of the dimension unless Notch introduces The Gauntlet to his repertoire of armor pieces and makes a crafting recipe of a Leather Gauntlet surrounded by five iron swords in order to make a Freddy's Glove which will allow you to take only one block at a time inbetween dimensions, so you could hypothetically take in a dirt block and bring out a pink outline of a cube. Oh and you can only "leave" the dimension by "waking up", i.e. falling or getting killed by some poor wireframe representation of a creeper.

I got the weird floating biome glitch thingy in my world, so I did an experiment. I was running Firefox and Reason and Steam and a couple of other processes as well, so I closed out EVERYTHING but Minecraft and reloaded the world from a back-up, and it generated fine. Do you think that would have something to do with the terrain being glitched? I know that sometimes I just start up new worlds without entering any seeds and when I have a bunch of other poo poo running, the likelihood of 2-3 floating dirt blocks up in the air increases.

I demand this be added.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Bat Ham posted:

Notch should re-introduce Endermen stealing blocks, but now it'll just be in retaliation for players loving up blocks even worse in the Ender.

Who is the real monster?!

I hope Enders are building houses and have farms in the new zone, so I can ruin them.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Nenonen posted:

There's a twist to the new portals: they actually connect you to a random SMP server, where you see everything as having swapped textures and models. Meanwhile everyone else sees you as an Ender.

The meta-est troll ever made.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Jetsetlemming posted:

I thought the suit over Scrolls WAS about trademark.

It is, but the person he quoted is misusing the term copyright.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure he was asking if there was a way to set some players to Survival while others are in Creative on the same map (and also remove the hostile mobs for the ones in Creative). A plugin to do that would be pretty neat but it doesn't exist as far as I know.

Bukkit does this? Or maybe it's the MCMyAdmin?

I am able to /mode #playername 0|1 and that player will be creative/survival.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Boat posted:

Wow. That's super retarded. GG de-adfly guys.

there is a better plugin for Chrome that has been around a while and does this and other ad sites better. IHPL (IHatePaidLinks).

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

im a girl btw posted:

Lose yourself in learning java!

Yeah, that's the ticket. Make him even more depressed.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

DONT CARE BUTAN posted:

Even scrolling text would have been tolerable if it was just "You planted the Netherdragon's head on your wall as a pretty cool accessory. Then a creeper blew up. Great job!"

But no it's really dumb and pretentious.

It's like something i'd expect forwarded from grandma who just figured out email and ends it with MAKES U THINK....

It comes across like Ayn Rand's retarded brother found a pen she dropped.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Boat posted:

Does anybody know if starting to use RC2 is going to gently caress up my 1.9pre5 world? I'm not concerned about terrain generation, but I really don't want opening chests to suddenly crash my game or something. :ohdear:

Also, while villagers opening doors is cool and all, I guess I'll need to put a steel door on that house in the village I commandeered, otherwise they'll be letting mobs in while I'm trying to sleep or something.

Also, I fenced in all their fields like a good omnipotent being. Wonder if they can manage fence gates. It'd be loving awesome if I could harvest the wheat for my bread and then just gently caress off and have them do the planting.

Back up the world and your .minecraft and find out.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, I figured this was the cause...but there are mods out there that have the same functionality as redstone wire but allow attachment to walls. There's no reason why they can't steal it from one of those.

Replace the entire redstone system with RedPower mod.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Lord Twisted posted:

I know I'm being a dick by just asking rather than reading the threads but I've been away for the last 3 days and haven't been able to update on MC.

I have a server running 1.8 currently, if I change the server to be running 1.0 will I get all the updated stuff (enemy HPs, nether mobs, etc)? I understand if I'll have to go and spawn new chunks, but just wanted to know if that will work or if I'll need to go and make a new map.

Thanks guys :)

The answer to this is ALWAYS; make a backup of the server files including the map and test it.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Lord Twisted posted:

Thanks guys, I've of course backed up the server, just wanted to know if it was a definite no like with the 1.7-1.8 transition :)

I would still backup everything. A bug might crop up later on and ruin everything. Odd poo poo happens a lot.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Neither of them need the other to be a success (anymore).

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Soon we will have more information....

"As The World of poo poo Nobody Should Care About Turns....."

Maybe the ending of this will be a really long senseless post...so excited for the conclusion!

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Ah cool, so they do have some anti-grief system. Nice one, might give it a try.

It is (Bukkit) a framework with several plugins written by users.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

I think it's just video games in general that make people want to recreate 9/11. Look at any open world game that will let you get in a plane.

I was flying planes into buildings far before 9/11. Am I a hipster terrorist?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

It is.

Not being able to play on some multiplayer servers doesn't change it.

100% false!

You're like a Republican who calls anything he doesn't like communism.

Many server mods for preventing people from ransacking other players' houses and chests rely on the name to verify access. It's kind of a big deal to a lot of server owners.

It's not DRM but it is stupid.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Can this get added to the OP?

With so many images being posted in this thread and the timg tag is broken in chrome (shows up red box, have to open in new tab to see).

There is a fix for it, written by a goon.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427084&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post401078785

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

He's still wearing that loving fedora? I guess money doesn't buy you taste. It buys you a shitload of pork pies though, apparently.

lol a fat joke, so funny

Boat posted:

You should probably watch this video where they replicate the Lost Woods from Ocarina of Time doing exactly that.

Yeah, part of worldgen. You'll have to craft your own (or you can attempt to just grow a tree in a hole, not sure that it would actually work/be less effort).

That is awesome.