Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Emong posted:

Mod blocks will vanish, and the game will crash if there are any modded items in your inventory, or if you open a chest with modded items in it.

in my experience, modded items in the inventory just disappears.

also emailed about the chain world, apparently i forgot item 1 in your list and asked about in the email, but all's well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Danyull posted:

So in the last thread I started a chain world thing and kind of started forgetting to check it and it fell apart (because I am a forgetful dickbag), but I guess I'll take another shot at it now that it's a new thread.

Rules:

If you want to sign up for it send an e-mail to somethingawfulmcchain@gmail.com (Please include your SA username) and you'll be put on the list.

List of Players:

Danyull
Intl Cron (TURN) (missed him the first time, sorry)
Fishylungs
Abortion is yummy
Estel
Thomas Petersen (whatever the hell you call yourself here) Frobbe
Tinuan
Paul Sheckarski (same as Petersen)
Boiled Water
Arkitektbmw
Rack
kinghotpants
Nekoxid
AzMiLion
Nettle Soup
Marux
Raar_Im_a_Dinosaur

if you'd looked at the email adress that would've been made clear to you :colbert:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Intl Cron posted:

Welp, true to form I was creepered while exploring so the chain world is passing along soon to Fishylungs.
I did a ton of infrastructure on the main house Danyull began, though there is still no roof... Although I managed to get a bed so spawn is set to the house now.

Enjoy the newly finished storeroom (w/ labeled chests) and the armory - I tried to get a good starting stockpile and foundation for the rest of you folks to work off of.

Post pictures! Kind of sucks I wont get to see what becomes of it.

well, once the map is done (the chain ends) we could host it on a server or something for a bit?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
can't wait for my turn either. i need to vanilla the minecraft install on this computer, somehow i've made the current install completely gently caress up my graphics card whenever i play, yet i run world of tanks just fine!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
so what's the status on the chain world? please don't let it die people!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
hey danyull, when will i be receiving the map? i need to create glorious things already!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
It appears it was too much for danyull to find a map program for the chain world, as it it's been nearly a week and i've yet to receive any emails from him, and as far as i know i'm supposed to have the chainworld now.

drat you danyull, stop being all goon project stereotype.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
notch just tweeted he's removing the fog toggle key (normally F) why he would do this, i've no idea. i use that often to make the game redraw itself if there's unloaded blocks of graphics or similar.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Zorak posted:

Except... no one in reasonable circumstances needs to do it. Like if Notch keymapped to the letter "T" the ability to restart entire game; I'm sure this would be a Key Thing Useful To Some People due to some dumb circumstances, but it doesn't mean it's really that necessary or a "key gameplay feature" that, being moved to the control panel, would actually matter other than for people with fringe computer problems.

Presumably he moved it off of F so he can use the key for something other people may actually find useful, perhaps some kind of gameplay feature. Even still, it was kind of an annoying placement for the key anyway!

actually i've had a quite reasonable use for it, as do many others whenever graphics doesn't load when a chunk loads, or when you're flying fast.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
hey danyull, take a look at http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_editors and then get your act together, it's been over a week since estel returned the chain world to you.

estel, if you still have it in the shape you left it, maybe you could just email it to me at frobbe@gmail.com if danyull doesnt get back to me?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i've received the chain world and have made my first tentative steps in it. i liked spawning in a bed hella high up! great view from here.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i've just returned the Chain World to Danyull. had an entertaining few hours and made a nether portal for any future people to explore (going to the nether is dangerous!)

faceplanted into a lava lake. the portal is located in the island tower's top floor, nice cozy building btw.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Vib Rib posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right! Finally, a modless craft-all key. This is awesome. Doesn't seem limited to stacks either, which could be good or bad.

be careful using it and shift to move items quickly from inv to chest. if either is full it blanks the game screen and then crashes. luckily no item loss happened for me, but i always play on a local server.

in other news, the "Something Awful" seed is brilliant, the village closest to spawn has a dark secret beneath it, which is why i assume the villagers fled! (or the fact that 2 houses had doors up in the air, the other had a door hidden beneath gravel)

there's also at least TWO ravines beneath the village.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Go to 120,120, see the town there, and look for a big obvious cave on the outskirts (there's a road that kinda leads to it). Once inside, keep left.

haev you managed to find the stronghold in that map? when running it on the server, it goes "illegal biome placement" at "59, -18" and i've scoured the gently caress out of those coordinates.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Go to 120,120, see the town there, and look for a big obvious cave on the outskirts (there's a road that kinda leads to it). Once inside, keep left.

in that particular village, try digging out the well. it drops you right into a ravine beneath town.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

hogofwar posted:

Illegal biome placement or whatever means a stronghold was genned/tried to gen in an ocean biome. Those coordinates are chunk coordinates so if you want to get the real coordinates (the one you see in debug) you just times them both by 16.

that's the weird thing though. there's a little puddle next to the coordinate but that's it. no ocean or anything like that.

and what do you mean by debug? is it the F3 menu?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
new stuff i've noticed in 1.8 pre2.

when you move your view about, your arm slowly swings in the same direction.

The Fog Toggle key has returned! hurrah!

related to the same, i tried a zombie survival run in the Something Awful seed (hiding on rooftops, using bows, it's great fun) and had the fog set to max to increase ambience. even then, endermen still showed up as ghostly apparitions at what was normally max view distance, and they were all whitish too. until you looked at them and then everything goes wrong.

silverfish are still dicks.

i also want to rep this seed: 1662097789 as it starts you on a tiny island with two trees and lots of grass so you can get farming right quick. if you dig down on the same island you'll soon hit an abandoned mine network that's bloody large.

there's also an underwater ravine right near it.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
quick testing of cool 1.8 seeds reveal that the "Something Awful" seed is now rather dangerous. largeish island, giant ravine, no trees. at least there's plenty of sheep and an abandoned mine in the ravine.

i need a seed that spawns you close to a village in 1.9!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

A Sassy Dog posted:

Welcome to my world.

A man can dream.. a man can dream..

why's there a flipped over car in that car park. is it a yugo?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Goddamnit jeb, why'd you make it so fence attaches to blocks on all sides of it. this ruins everything :(

should've made it so it only attached at the end block, instead of just copy/pasting the window pane/iron bar mechanics.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

urf posted:

I don't understand, didn't fence pieces already work that way?

this is from 1.9 Pre 2. fences now act similar to window panes/iron bars, in that they attach to everything next to them, which also looks silly.

i'd be happy if fences just attached at the end point, sort of like redstone.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Client side crash bug: don't shiftclick stuff with an enchantment table open. that'll make it do bad stuff.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Anyone able to make much sense of the brewing yet? It seems changed from what was apparently hidden in previous versions; unless I'm missing some ingredients, it seems like there isn't much to do with it yet, although it's fun zooming around with a speed II potion. Most ingredients can't actually be used a lot of the time.

I managed to get spider eye and water potion to combine into a potion of weakness. not that useful :(

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Frobbe posted:

I managed to get spider eye and water potion to combine into a potion of weakness. not that useful :(

quoting myself here. apparently the starting point for quite a lot of potions is to use netherwart to make an awkward potion and then add ingredients from there.

also gently caress notch for using Standard Galactic, that poo poo makes no sense. Enchantment table has a nice animation though.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Nettle Soup posted:

It's just php and it hasn't, I've never programmed anything except autohotkey before really, that's why I chose it as a project. I have a year to refine it, and it wasn't half as complicated as I thought it was gonna be, so now I have to find ways of making it complicated!

Suggestions are on the to-do list (along with a nice site layout) pictures sound fun!

i know these are gonna get old real fast, but this one owned

quote:

You know what would be nice? It would be nice if you created a reasonably sized tower out of mushroom blocks. Put it in a stronghold, and make sure there's a ravine nowhere near.

There should be a death pit covered with still water behind

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Every time I've tried to get on this game, for the last 6 months, it's told me that I "can't connect to Minecraft.net". Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but I haven't been able to download any updates since I was able to connect last. I've looked on several other websites for answers, and I seem to come across "it forgot your password, change it", "wait for the servers to stop being so busy" and "reinstall" most, all of which I've already done. I'm really, really sorry if this has been asked a dozen times, but at this point I really have nowhere else to turn. :(

Check if your firewall for some reason has decided to block minecraft.exe.

secondly, go to minecraft.net and download the minecraft.exe again and delete the one you have, i think they did some rejiggering of it.

thirdly, if this doesn't work, get someone to have a look at your .hosts file and network in general.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Oggumogoggum posted:

Since 1.8 there are no memorable, unique seeds. The age of Glacier and gargamel is over.

i dunno, i've found the seed "crackerjack!" to be quite cool, especially with technic or yogsbox. you start out near a giant smattering of ravines, and if you travel to the nearby desert you'll find some really cool terrain.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

FPzero posted:

Oh boy here we go. Is this "premium" thing the beginning of charging those who didn't buy it in alpha even more money? I don't want to pay more money but I know I'll end up doing so.

any user that's bought minecraft is a premium user. that's all there is to it.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

HauntedRobot posted:

An asphalt block that you travel faster on, perhaps?

because that's never gone wrong before :V

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

MikeJF posted:

Put a big glass dome over the top first.

just build a copy of

I just went there this weekend, that place's insane.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
every server i attempt to connect to gives me
code:
Internal exception: java.net.socketexception: connection reset
is the auth server loving poo poo up?

UPDATE: apparently every server i attempted to connect to haven't bothered to update yet. slowass fucks.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 4, 2012

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Goddamnit, any workarounds if the auth server is down? can't log in to any servers :(

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Babe Magnet posted:

What song is this?

yeah i really wish he'd said it in the video description instead of leaving it blank

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Minecraft for windows 10 is now cross compatible with Minecraft portable edition. that's pretty drat neat!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

MikeJF posted:

It wasn't already? It's basically the same program. Still, good to have.

yeah, what i really meant to say was, people using portable can play against people on PC using the win 10 version.

I have an issue with some old minecraft stuff, i've got this save from around 2010/2011 http://www.mediafire.com/view/jb7eb49dud8699z/FrobbeCorpV8 that i've tried loading in the latest snapshop. this fails and the world loads with me floating in the aether.

any tricks i need to do in order to load this in?

EDIT: okay, the trick is, i had to do it in minecraft 1.7.10.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/864011528403644418

Now get back to arguing about something else