Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Vinigre posted:

The other is probably to make single-player and multi-player work off the same code so that changes and mods are easier to make.

That does seem like the most practical thing. So there's no way in hell it's going to happen.

I'm betting the 'two major things' are just going to be more features...potions and villagers sounds about right considering the direction of this last update, though of course cool things have been introduced and then immediately and completely abandoned before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Before we get off on another lawsuit drama derail, I want to share a world I found, seed -8170650930111185462.

This one isn't all :aaa: OMG mountains, but it's really nice regardless. You start off clinging to the edge of a steep hill, with a river that winds all around several others. There aren't a whole lot of super dramatic views so pictures don't really do it justice, but it would be nice for building Lego Venice or whatever. If you poke around there are a few hidden little pocket valleys and such too.

Bonus points if you can find the terrifyingly deep underwater pit that turns into a waterfall and leads to a hidden cave with this intriguing little lava fountain sitting all by its lonesome. The perfect spot for an altar to a dark god!

Or, if you're interests are of the less demonic sort, right across the river from the pumpkin in one of the previous shots is a lovely little cave that makes for an excellent starter home.

And right around the corner from that is a convenient but somewhat irrationally located desert for all your sand and cactus needs.

But but but I hear you say, what about mountains? Yes okay, if you swing a right from spawn there are a couple of decent ones, complete with American flag and tiny plane. :patriot:

The tree with vines to the left is the edge of a swamp with loads of mushrooms as well. I really love all the different biomes and having everything I need just a couple minutes apart. I'm going to try really hard to get over my new world-creating ADD and do something cool with this one.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 29, 2011

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Jesus, I'm just never going to get used to how huge the underground is now. The old caverns were challenging but manageable with the use of markers, these just go on and on and on and on. I'm currently inching my way along the edge of a ravine praying I don't plummet into the lava below, I have no idea which way the exit is anymore and I have no idea if I'll ever see the surface again. Just digging up isn't really an option anymore since dumping an entire ocean on your head is no longer a thing you can just shrug off.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Bellend Sebastian posted:

aVo's videos are generally pretty funny, but Krysk has outdone himself for making new griefing tools this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IUONiBd5E

Awesome video, this is the correct way to do griefing.

I felt a little bad for the people who had their houses messed up at first but then once 'friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family lol heil hitler' started up I got over it real fast. :)

I'd love to see the aftermath and find out how much of it was repairable. Also, drat but I wish I could have a tree growing out of my couch.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
drat it, I've been getting the urge to play multiplayer again for the first time in forever, but on all the goon servers I've looked at everyone is just so good I'm too embarrassed to build my derpy log cabins and farms. :sigh:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They're "Shadows of Israphel" thing is basically like a super long and elaborate DMed live adventure map built just for them that they record. They also do videos of other games that interests them and they're funny, so that's pretty much it.

In some ways I actually prefer the LPs of adventure maps to the SoI stuff, though the latter's amazing in itself just because of all the ridiculously awesome locations their friends build for them to bumble around in.

Here's all their Minecraft stuff collected together, though they do have videos of lots of other games too. I think they're funny, but apparently they irritate the hell out of some people, so YMMV.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 10, 2011

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Enzer posted:

Unless the patch completely altered the game on a whole new level instead of adding a new mob or more potions, there is no way in hell I would pay for anything and I could see an issue with the mod community just making "similar yet distinctly different" mods mimicking DLC.

I agree with you if we're just talking about pig armor DLC or whatever, but I would happily pay for an official set of tools for making adventure maps. Like something that would let you put in proper NPCs, trigger events, etc.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kortel posted:

I have to ask.. what purpose does gold serve? The pickaxe makes Smooth stone and.. that is basically it? Really don't see a reason to ever use gold for anything. Vanilla version of the game.

If you're using painterly (like Jesus intended) you get to be a mighty king.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

MikeJF posted:

Well I always thought that the world should be stacked like:

SPAAAACE
SKY ISLANDS
NORMAL WORLD
CAVEWORLD
NETHER

And instead of being other dimensions you're just going up or down.

SPAAAACE should also be accessible by digging out the bottom of the Nether. It's SPAAAACE after all, it's under the planet too.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So is it the official word that a stable 1.9 release is just not going to happen? It seems I went and got readdicted to multiplayer at the worst possible time. :(

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

It would be cool if SPAAAACE's terrain generation has the same limit as the minecraft world, but instead of an "endless ocean" with an invisible wall, you would come upon a transparent shell with a phlogiston beyond that which would contain an infinite amount of other Minecraft universes.

How long have you been waiting for an excuse to use the word 'phlogiston'?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I was just catching up on the Yogscast and I am so over those dumb Minecraft videos, I just want the Further Adventures of Bob and Jim forever. :allears:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Guys how do I fill my JRPG style dungeon with nothing but high hopes and thin air? This is important.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Cheap Shot posted:

this is a link ^

It's been a while since I've done Minecraft art. I felt like going for it again so I made a webcomic. Please read it oh god!
I plan to keep going with it. Feedback appreciated. I went to post this on the minecraft forums but stopped when I realized the art section was nothing but fan fiction, so I'll be posting this here for now instead.
:psyduck:

I never thought a creeper could be cute. Poor little guy.

(the third one is kinda horrifying)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The eyeball moon is creepy as gently caress and going to be the default one I use from now on. I suspect I won't be going out at night anymore.

Nthing the love for the painterly pack (even though I'm sorry to admit I do occasionally cheat on you with SMP) and after all this work on the new stuff I'll definitely be throwing another donation your way as soon as I'm unpoor again.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

a cock shaped fruit posted:

What if you could alloy Metals.

So you find 2 diamonds, but you throw in an iron ingot to your pickaxe recipe to complete it, and result in a lesser diamond pick?

So it would be:

D I D
X W X
X W X

Or the other way around, combine a single diamond with an iron pick and get a diamond-tipped pick.

Cooking iron into steel would probably be the easiest solution. (but the most boring)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
1 Sword
2 Pick
3 Torches
4 Shovel
5 Axe
6 Bow
7 Dirt
8 Whatever
9 Food

Switch the axe and pick if I'm exploring above ground or chopping wood.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Wolfechu posted:

The order people put these in probably reveal something about personality, like a particularly nerdy Myer-Briggs test. Sword in slot 1? Aggressive. Pickaxe? Creative. Or something.

I'm not aggressive, just paranoid. I live in constant terror of spiders jumping on my head.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Trivia posted:

With creepers you just never know when they'll pop out.

They're called 'creepers' for a reason you know.

Nyyen posted:

I'm floating an idea for a server for anyone interested. I have a 300mb map using the "Wasteland" seed that I am developing towards what is essentially an enormous SP exploration map. I'm not really to into the big ridiculous constructions you find on most maps, preferring more subtle creations. Instead I have been building ruins and partially collapsed dungeons spread across the map. I have heavily focused on traps and hidden entrances and the like so that instead of cresting the hill and finding some huge land mark, you could instead be bushwhacking through a jungle and stumble across a long lost civilization filled with traps and baddies. No cities, but plenty of scenes strait out of Indiana Jones/The Lost World.

I don't think I would have the time/am talented enough to really contribute, but this sounds amazing and I want to explore the finished map so bad right now.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 24, 2011

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
That sucks dude, I'm sorry. :(

And drat, I hadn't realized the game was already over :20bux:, how much higher is it going to go? I was thinking it was still $13 or whatever.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Boat posted:

Well at least it's actually cool looking. I've never built anything above ground at all. I'm stuck on an endless loop of:

1) Tunnel down at 45°
2) Find cave system
3) Remove everything but stone (likely go to 2)
4) Carve remaining caves into symmetry (possibly go to 2)
5) Add paintings/stairs/half-steps
6) Go to 1

That actually looks pretty cool. Hell of a lot better than I can do anyway, usually I just go with the typical wooden retard house or else find a cozy little cave and fill it with furniture. I always tell myself I'm going to build something awesome once I fill enough chests with materials but I usually just wind up getting bored and going 'huh, I wonder what THIS seed will do'. :sigh:

Only thing I'd suggest is building out of stone bricks or smooth stone next time, cobblestone always looks like rear end from a distance.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't care that much about the release itself, I'm just happy bukkit finally has a stable version to work off of, I miss multiplayer something fierce.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Gotten back into this recently. I haven't updated yet, but have caves actually been removed (or at least made more infrequent) in the latest snapshot? ...I'm probably the only person that hopes that's not a bug.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Awesome. I don't mind abandoned mines still being there, I think stumbling across the occasional underground feature can be interesting and all, but not when you literally can't dig a tiny basement for your house anywhere without stumbling into a vast sprawling underground cavern system that goes on forever and ever.

I will build my own vast sprawling underground things and they will be awesome. :colbert:

(too bad about villages but oh well, I can build those too and populate them with happy pumpkin men...)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Yogscast did a video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y49K_4XrO6g
It's probably been worked on a lot more since they did this, but it probably gives you a pretty good idea of the feel of the game.

There's a newer video here...still pretty ugly, but you get a better idea of how the "action" is supposed to be.

That said, I don't really see the point of including Minecraft-esque graphics in the first place unless building with imaginary legos is a big part of the gameplay, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 24, 2012

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think the better question is why everyone in the entire game tries to hunt you down if you smack one guy.

That there is just its CRPG roots. NPC villagers are always all connected to vast psychic networks, it's a staple of the genre.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Downloaded the demo, and Blockscape definitely looks great, but actually building things is a lot more finicky. (and undo key would definitely be useful) I fiddled around trying to build a newb house a few minutes but couldn't get the slopes on the roof to do what I wanted so I gave up. I have no doubt somebody who actually knows what they're doing is going to be making some truly bitching adventure maps with this thing someday if it ever does take off though.

So, being too impatient to build anything, I basically just ran around looking at things. No real caves in the Minecraft sense but there were small ones here and there, and I did find a cool little hidden underwater tunnel. Right now the landscape seems to be made up entirely of forested hills broken up by mountains, with little strips of sand on the beaches.

There is a snow biome.

Another interesting thing that I did not get a picture of, it seems that there's an actual water table. Dig into the sand on the beach and water will automatically fill the hole. Dig down deep enough from the top of an inland mountain and you'll eventually hit it as well.

In my case, I just kept digging...and digging and digging and digging, and learned that if there's a bedrock equivalent in this game it must be VERY deep, because I sure couldn't find it. As for height limit, I didn't actually get around to nerdpoling, but there were a couple of impressively tall mountains. It's kind of fun climbing them - movement in this game feels like you're bouncing around on the moon.

So anyway, I think this might be the most promising clone I've seen so far...really I just wish there was a little more substance to the site, like a blog or something. It's like this site just popped up and is already for money right off but I can't get any real feel for the developer or the pace of development. Can't even see a way to contact him from the site for questions, etc.

We all know Notch is horribly unprofessional but with Minecraft (and indie games in general) a big part of the appeal was the personal touch there, being able to follow along as it developed and seeing him just as excited about new stuff as the players.

And I know Notch started charging for Minecraft back when it was literally just creative mode in a tiny area, but that feels like a mistake here. It would have been better to build up a little good will through word of mouth first, IMO, but oh well...we'll see what happens if Phase 2 ever materializes.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 24, 2012

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Rabidsamba posted:

All this Blockland stuff is making me wonder, does no one remember Sauerbraten? http://sauerbraten.org/

How have I never heard of this? :stare:

Downloading now.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Maybe this will mean that desert areas will be swarming with creepers in a future update?

I hope not. Ancient ruins in the desert are for skellies. Thick green forests and jungles are clearly where the creeper belongs. Notch, you are going contrary to all fantasy logic here. :(

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Revol posted:

Divided by the approximate 25 employees listed on their website, that is a bonus of $120,000 dollars. I assume some, if not most, of the employees don't even make that in a year.

holy crap okay now I feel slightly bad for automatically giving a mental :rolleyes: whenever I hear about something Notch did.

...would've been even classier if he hadn't publicly advertised it though. :colbert:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
'tyger tyger burning bright' spawns you in a jungle snuggled up with a swamp and a desert. Which...doesn't make a lot of sense but there's a fairly large village really close by in the desert, with a hilly area behind it that would be perfect for a castle with a good view of the worthless peons laboring below.

e: hole in the ground cave entrance for some quick iron at 344, 72, 321, right behind village.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 4, 2012

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

FlashFearless posted:

Okay I've been following these 2 chucklefucks around for a while now, and it's always the same thing. Occasionally, they will stop and do the socialize thing with each other. Hearts erupt from one, but the other one never gives a poo poo.

Obviously they're both males and one is gay.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

a starwar betamax posted:

Also, regarding the industrious chaps building better minecraft-likes in this thread, have you considered the feasibility of having "minions" or something like that in your game? I've always thought the tedium of building large structures in minecraft could be lessened if you had little workers you could put on tasks. Plus, if your game emphases gameplay and progression over creative building (I hope they do), then having the ability to put workers to building your castles re-enforcements could be a big deal.

A long time ago I remember actually seeing a mod that let you 'hire' lumberjacks and farmers and stuff. I think you had to make a specific building for each one before they would show up. I thought it was a neat idea but I came across it just after it got broken by an update so I never did get to try it out.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

flatluigi posted:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what's the best way to get news about the game that isn't this thread? I'm kind of tired of all the talk about how poo poo the game is and how various people are making games that are better. :shobon:

Try the official forum, it's a fun place. :)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is there an actual bug that's causing villagers to disappear or are they just really fragile and stupid?

And I'm just not satisfied with these tiny little villages anymore, I think this weekend I will build a vast empire and fill it with Testificates until my computer melts/I get bored/they all die.

...I just wish there was actually some way to interact with the little guys though, singleplayer Minecraft can be so lonely. :(

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I just got two emails saying someone had requested a password reset for my account, should I be concerned y/n?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I can't really explain why but Minecraft has basically become a quaint little fishing village building simulator for me. I find a scenic bay, maybe with some nice hills in the background. I build some little shacks, a dock, couple boats and lighthouse. Then I fly away and do it again somewhere else. Later I might connect them with roads. It's oddly relaxing but it gets a bit samey, so I am inordinately excited about the possibilities the new wood planks open up, I can't wait to see what textures kas comes up with.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Just started watching those Ultra Hardcore vids. Baj's commentary is pretty entertaining (especially considering he had to stand around and literally watch wheat grow for almost an entire video). Too bad it looks like he's about to die, but drat, he really got screwed over as far as starting positions go, didn't he?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
One thing I haven't seen anyone suggest that might be interesting is an adventure map setup, with all the usual rules about only being able to break certain kinds of blocks. The only supplies would be in chests, with most of the good stuff hidden away or guarded by monsters and traps. It could be either a straight PvP thing, or else being the first one to collect X amount of [item] and get it to a special location...which I'm sure would also involve a lot of murder.

(a free for all on something like the Canopy Carnage map would be awesome)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
you guys need to stop posting cool stuff, you're making me feel bad :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Bat Ham posted:

Maybe you could have something like, on the last 3 standing or so, players start getting periodic prompts as to where the other players are? Or compasses start pointing to them or something.

Maybe some kind of plugin that blurts out the coordinates of each player every thirty minutes or so. That would be a nice way to keep them on their toes (and make them paranoid as gently caress)