Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Vib Rib posted:

Bethesda could actually gain some PR if they agreed, though.
It's not professional or very serious. But it's something that appeals to the customers and the fanbase because it's a stand against the buttoned-down world of bullshit legal cases so many people already have a problem with. If Bethesda were to look at the lawsuit they've started almost reflexively and recognize their case was absurd, agreeing to this would be the best way to cover their asses in terms of PR. Gaming/news sites around the internet would run coverage of the story, that Bethesda was unorthodox and sporting enough to take him up on the offer. It would generate incredible buzz, and even if they lost it would be a graceful way of dropping the whole lawsuit which seems frivolous to begin with and has generated some backlash already.

Doesn't matter if it's amateurish, it has the chance to be spun into great publicity. For both sides. In a way it's sort of a genius proposal, and Notch comes out ahead no matter what Bethesda's response is.

Just one problem. What happens when they want to file a lawsuit that has an actual basis? That person/company will demand that they be treated the same and allowed their deathmatch. And, should Bethesda lose, they have now lost control of actual intellectual property.

Notch really has put them in a lose/lose situation. Doesn't change the fact that the lawsuit is bullshit, but Bethesda now has no way to withdraw gracefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Boat posted:

Is it wrong that the fact that this uses Painterly makes me extremely happy? :shobon:

No, but it looks like the regular Minecraft texture pack. How can you tell it's Painterly?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Beige posted:

The new "good guess" for a Beta 1.8 release date is 12th of September (this monday) =( *takes cover* -Jeb

I'm probably in a minority, but I'm glad about the delay. I'm hurrying up and trying to finish my floating island before the 1.8 shift so I can switch with a clean conscience. Anyone else got hurried projects here?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I'm posting this as a farewell to my old creation. Starting in 1.3, I resolved to make a city that was impregnable to hostile mobs. Not just "they can't spawn here", I wanted it to be "They can't get here." And thus was born:

My floating island. From the other side:

It's

really

big. Did I mention that it's solid? According to my calculations, there are approximately 61,000 blocks just in the cone of the island, nevermind including the buildings. The exterior alone is roughly 7,125 blocks. And the only way up is on these docks:

This ladderway here:

Is in place of the old water elevator that I had to scrap.

:argh:

Before I post the pictures of the random buildings I populated this island with, I want to show one thing. A friend asked, "Where the gently caress did you get all that stone?" Well, if you go to the second picture, you'll see what looks like a dirt house with trees on it. That was essentially where I spawned and it was my first house on this map. So many mobs ambushed me from above this door:

This was my original sleeping and storage while I accumulated materials:

Which I got by making this staircase:

Which leads

down to

The Vault.

It's roughly 115 blocks by 70 blocks and 7 blocks high. There are 228 columns and 912 torches, thus ensuring mining safety. It's not big enough to give me all the stoneI needed, but I got enough by getting bored occasionally and heading out to adventure.

Screenshot for depth:

Which is necessary, because a lot of people were asking how to get slimes. This thing is almost a slime generator. Every second time I came down here, there was at least one slime and once I almost got killed by a loving mob of them. Here are the pelts of a couple (easy) kills:

And that concludes the informative part of the tour. Those three of you who're still interested, here are (in order)the guard tower/anchor building, restaurant, incinerator, granery, construction supply storage, lighthouse, and inn.

Farewell, old friend. I shall remember you as I upgrade to 1.8.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Megadace posted:

This is absolutely incredible, how long did it take you to make all of this?

As best as I can figure, I spent about 100 hours on this seed. That includes mining, building, and exploring when I got bored. I've found that listening to books on tape/CD/mp3 helps a lot.

Nita posted:

Why not MCedit your island into a new world? It's what I did with my floating island when the Halloween update hit and broke the terrain. Whenever I get bored of a world I save my island as a schematic and put it in a new one. That way I have a nice base to start on with new world to explore.

I'd considered that, but I think I want to move on to a new slate. If I end up editing the island in, it'll be after the Beta's done and will probably be in whatever area I end up using as a showcase (and I definitely plan on finding a seed that'll give me a large plains biome that I can use just to show off creations).

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I went exploring in my first mining complex ever. The mine was only accessible by a hole in the ocean (fortunately right near the surface). Over the course of an hour and a half, I explored a grand total of about a third of a kilometer of linear paths (never going below about y=35), filled my inventory, and ran screaming like a little girl from a spider rush when I decided to try to take out just one more spider spawner and my last sword broke on a loving cobweb.

I remember my first time playing back around 1.2. Mining had me on edge, granted, but I was more curious about what was around the corner than scared. My roommate came in half way through this most recent trip to ask why I had screamed. I had to explain that a spider had dropped on my head while I was mining in what I had previously assumed was a safe area.

I haven't enjoyed exploration this much since I started playing the game. Time to go hunt down more clay and start building my own town. Am I the only one that takes an odd amount of pleasure in finding, harvesting, and baking clay?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Right, I've looked through the last two dozen pages, can't find the answer, but I know it's been posted at least once before. How do I switch from survival to creative? I need about 2000 m2 of lava, and gently caress heading to the Nether that much. Bastard pig-men ganged up on me twice when I tried to shoot down a harassing Ghast and one of the pig-men stepped in front of my arrow.

And besides, I also need to dig up a desert and I'm only doing 1 stupid-long project for this.

Also, can we get the answer put into the OP? I've got this feeling that I'm something like #10 to ask this.

Edit: Still on 1.8 if that matters.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

PalmTreeFun posted:

That'll take an eternity even in Creative. Grab MCEdit and fill a huge selection with lava, or use WorldEdit and use its fill command.

Nah, it's just a 50x60 ellipse. I need an obsidian floor and wall section.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Before harvesting iron:

1) Harvest lots of trees.
2) Use saplings to plant more trees
3) Harvest those trees
4) Split the wood up so you have a 50/50 mix of sticks/charcoal
5) Create three or four stacks of torches

Now go mining and just light the hell out of any place where you're digging. Keep an eye around you when you've found a seam and you might to even be able to adventure without armor.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I have to admit that since I finished my first (and only) large project, I've kinda been just futzing around in MC. Fly around a bit in creative, maybe throw a house together and wander an area for about a week, explore a cave here or there, but that's it. It's gotten kinda... dull.

What I like is the crafting bit, assuming I can find a decent seed to craft in, but I also like having to be careful about it and I like the element of danger that the mobs bring.

How do you guys keep from getting bored with the game, and (since the seed thread seems to have disappeared) does anyone know a good seed that has tall, thick mountains? Not just the spines that are 10-20 across, I mean at least 40 or more blocks thick at the top.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
For my last project I did the "Gigantic Mine" method of getting stone and decided to try a cobblestone generator for my new one. Right now I've got it set up like so:
code:
W W C L
    B
from the top and:
code:
W W C L
  W
from the side.
W = water
C = cobblestone
L = lava
B = Blank (where I stand to harvest)

My question is this. I probably lose 1/3 to 1/2 of all the stone I mine to it bouncing into the lava. Is there a way to alleviate that? Or at least reduce it? I know I can't avoid it happening completely, but I'd like to get it down as low as possible. I know I can build these relatively large and elaborate structures but I'm hoping there's a more space-efficient method.

And either way, I know it'll take a while. I'm going to need at least 7000 (which I then have to cook into smoothstone) for this project.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Maybe I'm unusual, but does anyone else load a Creative seed, fly around to find a good build site, write down the coordinates, and then make a new map with the same seed in Survival?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Anyone know of a seed that has a raised lake near a section of plains? I'm looking to build a Roman villa complete with aquaduct but even finding plains in general has come up as a complete miss.

Plains next to mountains would be acceptable as well.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

bango skank posted:

Is there any kind of resource site that has pictures of different types/styles of buildings to use for ideas in building your own? I'm planning a small town/city(~500x500meters) that I'm going to build by hand on the server a friend and I have and need lots of building ideas and different design elements to make sure there's variety to the place. I've got a perimeter wall, a central cathedral, residential district, a jail of some sort, a park or two, and maybe a barracks planned, but that still only takes up at most a third of the space so I've got plenty of room to fill and don't want it to be all just generic box buildings.

Give each neighborhood or block its own feel. Maybe all of the houses have black roofs or have sandstone walls or are all circular or something. Make a neighborhood where all the houses are up in big trees. Make a rural neighborhood where there are like three houses and an absolutely staggering amount of wheat, sugarcane, and livestock.

This way you can say something like, "Hey, meet me over in the Black Roof neighborhood, I wanna show you this house that came out perfect" or something. You'll have good landmarks for navigation and wandering around will show diversity.

Also, if you're on a river or ocean, you should definitely have a dock and warehouse section. And off of that dock, you can build boats.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
You can see a couple people standing off from a structure a ways for a little while a few times. I think they're seeing how some idea or design looks. Also, you can see a few times (especially in the beginning) where some things get built, taken down, and then rebuilt.

So probably one or two people putting a little bit of construction work in but mainly acting as "architects". Like I think people were told to "make something boat-shaped" in the harbor and as long as they used wood no one made any comment.

As for cooperation, just play with folks on your server for a few months and those that are on or have shown commitment to group builds get invited to the super-awesome Aquila map. Those that don't or that grief just aren't invited.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

a starwar betamax posted:

I've noticed this thread has slowed down A LOT compared to last year. New posts, where there are any, tend to be about complaints or the latest silly thing notch has said. Screenshots of neat castles or cool in-game finds are now the exception rather than the rule. Seems a lot of people, myself included, have burned out on the game itself, but are still interested in following it's development to the (hopefully comedic) end.

I this sentiment unique to Somethingisawful.com or is the same thing happening elsewhere?

I'm just busy building my plane. I'll drop some screenshots whenever I get it done.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

CJacobs posted:

...What do I do? :ohdear:

My therapist might be able to shed some light on your problem. Here she is, just let me know if you want a referral:

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

a starwar betamax posted:

Screenshots of neat castles or cool in-game finds are now the exception rather than the rule.

What's this thing I've made?

I've finished your mom's dildo!

Actually, it's a rather large airplane, roughly 1/3 done.

Your mom's dildo is much bigger.

Animal pen on the bottom deck towards the rear, with the place where the park is going to be right above that.

The five decks under construction, looking towards the front. The upper part of the nose will be replaced with glass.

Framework under construction, this part made entirely with mined and cooked stone.

Insert goatse jokes here.

Mods used: TooManyItems and the Painterly Pack.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Met posted:

As I recall, the Yogcast people were fairly inappropriate and disrespectful while there.

Since you regged just yesterday, I will provide this link for you:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430275&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=227#post397830549

Start reading here. It contains the entirety of the debate on this thread, including a great many links to other things directly related. As much as I hate hearing the bashing, I'd really much rather hear current problems than a rehashing of the old ones.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

babies havin rabies posted:

As in... You only need to place every other ladder to make a climbable surface? Because I thought that looked horrible.

I think that's as in the ladder hitbox extends up a block so you can climb out of a trapdoored hole.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I think that's as in the ladder hitbox extends up a block so you can climb out of a trapdoored hole.

Install Gentoo posted:

That's not how it used to be, it used to have a hitbox, period, and you could stand on top of its 1 block high hitbox to get out.

I think that's as in the ladder has a hitbox so you can stand on the top and climb out of a trapdoored hole.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

simosimo posted:

I'm trying to discern the two play styles of both world types in Minecraft.

One, Survival is fun to scrabble the first few nights and avoiding monsters, but when you're set up, things become a bit tedious. I love looking at a big cave system that I have mined out, knowing that I have chipped away at it much like a felt tip pen colouring book or a jigsaw, but sometimes I think, I just want to get building!

So I played creative for the first time, but I felt it spoiled the game, having everything to hand with no consequence/reward. I can see it being cool, pretty much like lego but can't help but feel like a creative world would be a cheat world. But I look at a survival world, which could be the same in terms of end product, except I have wasted hours crafting stuff and achieving the same result.

I keep trying creative, but something turns me off about 10 minutes of play, but I'll go into survival and think, gently caress this.

Am I burnt out on Minecraft?!

I decided to snag TooManyItems. It's a nice halfway point. If you don't want to go look for enough clay to slowly bake into bricks, you can just get yourself as many bricks as you drat well want.

And if you don't want to scaffold your way up to the roof of your church to put up that solid gold cross, switch over to Creative for a minute, fly up, fly down, and switch off Creative. This is important, because if you're hovering a foot off the ground and switch off Creative, you will insta-gib upon contact with the ground.

Also, you can see what something looks like at night or in the rain just by clicking a button.

If that doesn't do it for you, yeah, you might be burnt out.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Coleman posted:

Considering how common Abandoned Mineshafts are, I think you're doing yourself an injustice by caring one around. When you're down in a cave just try and find a mineshaft, knock down a couple of the wood planks, make a new crafting table. That's what I usually do, it doesn't always work because you're not *always* in an Abandoned Mineshaft but they're common enough that you can usually find one.

I think the complaint is that you need to go out of your way to do something to craft things that are used all the freaking time. Why not have "basic" recipes, such as all tools and weapons, be createable in your inventory and have the "advanced" stuff like minecarts need a separate crafting table? If all I'm doing is going on a stone-mining expedition, I'd like to be able to carry a stack of sticks and save the rest of the space for tools, a stack of food, and all the freaking stone I'm going to be hauling back. Or hell, if I'm doing an extended build (a bridge for example), that stack of 64 can add up if I'm making multiple trips back to my storage hut.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Estel posted:

My house is now a fort:

Very nicely done, dude! Looks pretty cool. How do you deal with what appears to be a lack of storage space?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Orv posted:

Sounds like the John McClane catch-phrase for the Die Hard reboot.

Sounds like it came from this Brian Regan bit.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Cicadas! posted:

Sorry about how it's all smushed together, I couldn't get it to save the spacing.

Can't help you with the main problem, but if you use the [ code ] tags, it'll save any spacing you put in.

code:
Just

This

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

MiracleMouse posted:

Curious... Is the 256 ceiling a mod or is that standard now? When I played MC it was 128 from the bottom of the map to the top, but that was back in alpha and a lomg time ago. So, and If I am correct, the water level was at about 64 and the sky topped off at 128.

E: increase clearity of my question

It looks like Jeb is changing the game so it naturally has a 256 ceiling with water still at 63 or 64. More room for upwards statue and skyscraper building. There's also a mod that will increase the height limit, but you'd be better off heading to the mod thread to find it.

Edit:

FidgetyRat posted:

Will be standard when the new version drops.

0-64 = Below Sea
64-258 = Above Sea

:argh:

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Why not just select these things on world creation? Yes, I want monster difficulty increasing with Nether/End breaching, no, I don't want monsters spawning inside structures, etc.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Enzer posted:

It is all wild speculation where everyone is assuming the worst, wouldn't it be better to with hold judgement on this change until we actually get something to test? :/

This kind of poo poo doesn't happen in real life. What makes you think it'll happen on the internet?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

kas posted:

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

drat that stuff looks good, kas. As usual. I always find myself coming back to Painterly, no matter what other packs I try. Definitely going to send something your way come payday.

Edit: Jesus fuckbudget, that's a lot of flowers, kas!

ItalicSquirrels fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 21, 2013

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Gianthogweed posted:

Minecraft is like the rock and roll of video games.

You're so square, you're a cube. Now get out of my mineshaft, old man. I need to finish this build before my graduate classes start back up.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

I would take that over and turn it into a flowing set of terraced farms.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Jamesman posted:

Well, yeah... There's already a road, and I'm going to add trees and grass, but I don't know how or where to add them to improve the flow without furthering the contrast between the buildings. Generics advice like "add trees" doesn't help much.

Keep some common theme between houses. Same roof material and style, same front, something like that. Look at the big suburban communities in the US. Those all have some pretty striking similarities. Same general shape but half have the garage on the opposite side of the first half! Or whatever thing you think is similar but not boring-as-hell. I usually try to stick to things like a similar shape but with different woods for the structure.

Actually, try looking at some Let's Builds. I prefer Sjin from the Yogscast. Lately he's been building Dale/Erebor, and I think he did a pretty good job with Dale (he starts building houses around 4:30). If you don't like his style, try another, I know they're out there.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Alright, so I get the min/max height part. Spawn size I'm going to assume is how big the average blob of resource is (like iron's 8 or coal's 20-30 stream). What is "spawn tries"?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

xzzy posted:

Number of attempts to make before giving up. Basically the terrain generator picks a random spot in a chunk and runs a number of tests (probably special rules for each feature type) to see if it can place a feature there. If that fails it will try somewhere else until it succeeds or exceeds the maximum number of tries.

So like if a crevasse or part of a mine shaft is in the way, that kind of thing? Does that mean that ores are generated last?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
"Minecraft convinced me to put down video games and go outside."

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Enzer posted:

Well, in a way, 1.8 enchanting is like that since what enchantments you have access to are dependent on the total number of levels you have, but the cost to enchant is never more than three levels and enchanting now costs lapis. :v:

That aside, I really like the 1.8 enchanting system.

So, just so I understand, enchanting will work like this?:

I need both 30 levels *and* enough bookshelves to get the level 30 enchants.
The truest "cost" of an enchant is now measured in lapis, with an XP tax as well.
Other than that, nothing's changed?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Actually, the more important question is what could you use as an ingredient? Everything's already taken!

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
The longer you go without sleeping, the more likely you are to not stop or start moving the instant you press a key. This isn't an always thing, just a growing random chance that your sleep-addled "brain" won't react right away. Have fun on that cliff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Triskelli posted:

E: gently caress it, let's open this to discussion. If you could distill Minecraft down to a two word phrase, what would it be? Phil and Lord did that for LEGO, and the answer they came up with was "Play Well."

"Time sink", mainly because Ciaphas posted my first idea already.