Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

treat posted:

Sorry if this has been done to death, I've been out of the loop for a long while, but I'm wondering if NOW 1.6.6 works with the latest version of Minecraft.

No, it won't. Mods are version specific. Now That's What I Call Minecraft had some drama and is now the Yogbox. See the modding thread for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Wouldn't you be able to keep the function with just the top four repeaters or am I missing something?

That will just delay the input. This sustains it. By the time the lowest is done, the next up is active and so on.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

White head, a suit, and you're done.

What do people do for train switching stations? I can do the switching part and launcher. Is it worth building a long powered rail section to launch? The last one I built used the glitch boosters and could launch the cart basically any distance (it looped an occupied cart for almost 40 minutes). Powered rail doesn't seem to give enough boost to make it worth it.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Koos Chup posted:

Nope.

You aren't Broseidon (who was permabanned), but you are almost certainly Koos Group. This account will be banned for evading probation.

Koos Chup posted:

The advantage of the powered rail is with the amount of resources they use and time they take to build.

Glitch boosters required only carts and rail. They were easy to construct as long as you knew how and could give basically infinite boost. The last time I constructed a rail station, it had 16 destinations. Each destination had a booster big enough for the return. I'm probably going to start a new server with friends a little after 1.8 launches and realizing that unless every track is two lane there's no point to a large powered rail section at the station since there has to be enough boost for the return trip on every track anyway. Though I'm trying out a 2 lane design that shares powered rail sections.

Jervas Dudley fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 21, 2011

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Gaspar Lewis posted:

It works... but you can get way more furnace power from the original wood, broken up into sticks.

1 log = 1 charcoal = 1 fully "cooked" object
1 log = 4 planks = 8 sticks = 4 fully "cooked" objects

You're wrong. One charcoal provides 8 fuel, exactly like coal. 7 when you account for the cost of making it.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Repeaters, note blocks, dyes, shears, world gen seeds, unlimited world saves, cakes, maps, leaf decay, 2 new trees, different terrain generation with underground and mountain ponds, powered and detector rails, and cookies. I started playing after the nether update so I might be missing some. Multiplayer has all the same features as singleplayer, including the nether.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Didn't see this posted. In response to: "@jeb_ Will we ever see dynamic torch light like in Terraria?"

jeb_ posted:

@CaptureCraft Only if you mod it, most likely

I'm a little disappointed, but a little relieved since the dynamic light mod tanked my FPS. Would have been nice for adventure maps though.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

When I die, recovering my stuff in the time limit is either trivial or basically impossible. I think the death chest is a good middle ground. Tossing everything on the ground would be fine if it didn't despawn. It sucks to find where you died too late.

Jeb tweeted the new icons.png:

I'm intrigued by the reception bars. It looks like there are different food icons too.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Mystery solved. They're for the new server list:

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm really liking the midsized island in the new gen code:

How did you get custom water? Minecraft default water looks lovely with any other texture pack.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

In 1.7.3, I think it tries to spawn you at x:0, z:0 with certain conditions (pretty sure you always spawn on sand), if that doesn't work it chooses another one. If 0,0 works, the spawn is the same every time. For example,"gargamel" has always spawned me in the cave beach at x:0,y:66,z:0, but I generated 3 worlds with "Jessica" as the seed and spawned in three different places since x:0,z:0 is a grass block.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

I'm having really mixed feelings about this update. Apparently snow biomes won't be back until 1.9, Notch was/is rewriting all the biomes and hadn't finished them. Rewritten biomes is exciting, I loving love these oceans. I've been playing on this seed:

CJacobs posted:

So I spawned in the middle of an island and figured that it would eventually have to lead to land.

I was wrong.

This game is still loving awesome after all these months. :swoon:

CJacobs posted:

There you go, right from the spawn island. Enjoy! :)

Now imagine the water is all ice. Little islands of dirt, trees, and snow in an ocean of ice. That'd kick rear end. I'm a little annoyed that seeds might break again with 1.9 though.

That aside, the only issue I've had with the ocean biomes is there are no animals. No feathers, no leather, no meat, and no wool. No arrows, no cheap armor, no quick food, and no beds. No arrows isn't too bad since enemies are rare. No cheap armor would hurt more if armor sucked less. I almost starved getting a farm going, but that was impatience. My first bed was made from cobwebs, I guess it would make exploring harder, but the only way to explore is caves, so time of day is irrelevant.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Jeb posted:

The two small changes I'm making to armor is 1) slightly better durability and 2) simpler armor value calculation (not based on durability)

Yes. This sounds good.

E: Also:

Notch posted:

Jens is working on some content for the Nether

Jervas Dudley fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 15, 2011

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

I'm a little confused and seeing conflicting info. Are snow biomes not in 1.8? Or are they in, but not currently snowy?

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Getting a weird issue with spawns in SMP. We originally spawned in a forest. Now we're spawning in the ocean a few hundred blocks away.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

OpenGL fix for OS X 10.5.x. I think I saw someone asking about this problem earlier. I don't have a Mac, so I don't know if it works.

It looks like someone wrote a detailed explanation of hunger on the wiki. This should clear up some of the confusion. The biggest detail is "food saturation" which is an invisible variable raised by food that is depleted before the visible food level. This is why the meter seems to tick down more slowly from full. If both the food level and the food saturation level are full than it takes the same amount of activity to lose the first half a point as it does to lose all the points.

Different foods increase the food saturation level different amounts. Cooked pork, steaks, and mushroom stew all restore 4 hams. Pork and steak both add 12.8 to your FSL, but mushroom stew only adds 9.6.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

It was saved in the RSS, MineCon attendees will get a unique cloak.

e:f,b. Did you know that you can craft stone bricks? Four stone in a square makes 4 stone bricks.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

I'm very happy they're adding some kind of water breathing. I'm sick of drowning to get clay.

Has anyone done that survey graph for the new terrain generation? I'm almost ready to give up and start strip mining for diamond. I've found 2 in caves.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

And yet somehow everyone un-ironically and non-sarcastically ignores it and blames the whole company! I'm not defending Bethesda's lawyers TOO hard because I mean, it's still a really dumb thing to sue over, but still, both sides have terrible points and the lawsuit makes no sense in the first place, and Mojang parading it around just makes it worse.

What is Mojang's terrible point exactly? Notch has actually personally said that it's Zenimax (or whoever). He has said he's excited about Skyrim and told people not to boycott it over the stupid poo poo their lawyers are doing. If people miss that point that's their problem, not Mojang's or Notch's. Kind of like how the dumb lawsuit isn't really related to Bethesda. It's a dumb lawsuit and mocking it as publicly as possible is the correct response.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Score is XP.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Notch posted:

There are two more major things we want to add to Minecraft. We'll do a code freeze on the 18'th, then polish for a month before MineCon.

I'd assume one of them is a purpose for the villagers. The other may be potions. Polish sounds promising.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Haven't seen any mention about the changes to armor in 1.9. Armor no longer decreases in effectiveness with damage. Different materials provide different protection. Values in order: Head, torso, legs, feet.

Leather: .5, 1.5, 1, .5, total 3.5.
Gold: 1, 2.5, 1.5, .5, total 5.5.
Chain: 1, 2.5, 2, .5, total 6.
Iron: 1, 3, 2.5, 1, total 7.5
Diamond: 1.5, 4, 3, 1.5, total 10.

No idea if the values translate to the same level of protection. I like the change, but it does make leather armor even more useless.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

There's also dungeons or you can listen to them in creative mode.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Anyone have a link to the newest FPS fixer optimine or optifog whatever is the most current?

I think there was a specific fix for something in the first pre-release, but you're probably looking for OptiFine. Which is for 1.8.1.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Still no way of making chain armor?

There should be, if it was something like four iron for six chain links it'd fit into the progression. If there were an actual progression. In theory it should go leather>iron>diamond. In practice you'll just use iron forever.

You get 0-2 leather per cow. You have to kill about 24 cows for a full set of leather armor. If you're breeding them that's 48 wheat. On top of that leather is weaker, less durable, and harder to gather than iron.

Iron is really common now, I've made three full sets of iron armor and have two stacks of iron. That's just today in about three hours, most of it not even spent spelunking.

Diamond is so rare, I've found five between all my worlds post 1.8. That's a hat.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

From yesterday:

jeb_ posted:

Potions are delayed because *add to cauldron, pick up, look at tooltip, pour back into cauldron, repeat* was extremely tedious

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like they're keeping the cauldrons as an aesthetic option at least.

Also:

Notch posted:

How does enchanting work in Minecraft? Well, you open a magical book and pick a random spell, not quite sure knowing what it will do. MAGIC!

Huh. Not sure about that, but when he was talking about potions I thought it would be much simpler.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

So that's NOT a feature?
You.. Youtube lied to me
:negative:

In 1.9pre2, you can throw ender pearls to teleport you to where they land, this hurts you.

In any other version they're useless.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Got sick of the default textures in 1.9pre3, so I made images with just stuff added since 1.8.1 as a temporary solution. Thought other people might get some use from them.
terrain.png

gui/items.png

gui/inventory.png

Just add these as a new layer in the images in your existing 1.8.1 pack using photoshop, GIMP, or whatever. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the modding thread, I figured most people using the pre-release would be here.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

1.9 doesn't really have any of the major textures packs updated for it. Also, a lot of mods don't have texture support period.

You don't need a complete texture pack. Just edit "moon_phases.png" and "sun.png" put them in a folder called "terrain" in "thatsnomoonitsaspergstation.zip" and use it as a texture pack. Should play nice with mods as far as I know, everything else will just be the default. You don't need to even install a mod or anything, it's already supported with texture packs.

The moon phases are neat, I tried it just now and you can use whatever you want.

This is the file, each moon is one of the 8 phases. You can have whatever you want as each phase.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Red_October_7000 posted:

I've got another, possibly :downs: question: Is it possible to have two instances of Minecraft on your machine? Because I'd really like to gently caress about with a mod like Industrialcraft but I've got 1.9 prerelease 4 on right now, and simply installing a copy to gently caress about with mods on seems the most straightforward thing to do, but given how I remember it installing, I am not sure if such a thing is possible.

Minecraft Profile Manager and Maximum Minecraft (Mac only) can do this. They're in the OP of the modding thread.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

I get the same thing, you could ask about it in the modding thread. If you're using Windows XP, there was someone else with the same problem. I think it's just incompatible with XP.

A few things have been bothering me with 1.9pre4. First, pigs are useless. Pork and beef have identical properties. Both seem to have the same drop rate. Cows also drop leather and provide milk, so why raise pigs?

Second, leather is useless. Iron is so common that there's no reason to use anything else. Leather is harder to gather, less protective, and wears out quicker. Unlike stone tools, you have to go out of your way to gather it and it has no other use.

Third, chickens are the best. Eggs make setting up a new farm simple, they're the only source of feathers for arrows, and the meat is about as good.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Tardcore posted:

This makes me wonder what playing Resident Evil at age 5 did to me.

Minecraft stuff: Kind of sucks we wont be getting whatever boss Notch was referring too in 1.9. Does a feature freeze mean he wont be working on new things at all or just for 1.9?

It's in:

Notch posted:

Feature freeze! The boss fight is technically in the game. The fact that it sucks can be considered a bug, right? =D (right?)

I assume he intends to make it not suck. Also:

Jeb_ posted:

Finally fixed the long due "not getting resource for last tool use" bug in SMP. Yes, "I'll do it later" actually happened
Hurray!

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Yeah, water only freezes in daylight. A warning for people on 1.9 pre4 (and the earlier pre-releases) in snow biomes snowfall will destroy torches, saplings, redstone, etc. It's a bug.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

tinaun posted:

I thought that got fixed in pre4?

Maybe? Wiki doesn't say it's fixed, I saw the warning in the op for that skyblock map and thought I'd pass it on. I've mostly been playing on an island map since the 1.8 pre-release so I don't have any firsthand experience.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

jeb posted:

@ChronicBit With the added item info for enchantments, it will be possible to add features such as notes and books, but after Minecon

Good news for adventure maps and multiplayer servers.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Boat posted:

E2: Welp, spent an hour and a half working my way through the painterly chooser, clicked a preview image instead of the radio button and the whole page reloaded, losing everything. :suicide:

Same here (not an hour and a half, but it did reset). Love Painterly, is there more I can give as far as feedback? I'm using Chrome on Windows XP.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Jeb has said they're rolling water physics back. Hopefully they'll try another solution. I'm glad that he acknowledged there's a problem at least.

For people playing the pre-release, :siren:BIG WARNING::siren: enchantment tables and brewing stands both break quickly with no tool, but don't drop unless you use a pick.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

JamSessionEin posted:

So, quick favor to ask of the thread. I'm in the process of setting up a serious-business dedicated server for community super building - basically a server with subdivided worlds devoted to specific projects. For example, we may be making Gotham City on one world, or Columbia from Bioshock: Infinite on another. The whole server then is very specifically designed to encourage community work.

The only obstacle I'm having right now, of all things, is the name for the server. Once I get that figured I can get the site/server rolling in short order.

I beseech you, goons: anyone have any good name suggestions?

Operation: Infinite Neckbeard.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Is it possible to change your position in a saved game without loading the world?
I have just discovered that when I stand on a thaumcraft 1 crucible as it's powering a portal that it automatically saves my game and then crashed. Since I always load on top of the same crucible, it's rendered the world entirely unplayable.

MCEdit could do that, don't know if it works with heavily modded saves. Might ask in the modding thread.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've figured out a really simple solution to lighting glass structures: lava trapped behind glass. It's so obvious, I don't know why I didn't think of it before. The only disadvantage is that you're going to want to build everything vertically, since it makes the lava lighting more efficient, but that isn't really that much of a disadvantage since you should already be using glass to build big awesome towers.

Do liquids and glass work better now? Last time I used lava and glass, it was kind of spotty. It was a part of an inverted pyramid and it wouldn't flow downwards correctly. It was uneven and annoyed me, also killed me multiple times. Any large project tends to become the "Jervas Dudley Memorial [Whatever]."

God that was so long ago that when I started there weren't hostile mobs in smp and then it was full of monsters after the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Iacen posted:

That trailer for the Super Hardcore thing made me interested. Is there a prefered viewing order that makes it enjoyable?
(And more importantly, where can I find the videos?)

This playlist was linked earlier, it has all the episodes in some kind of order.

Danzou posted:

Hell, if you want to dick around with a bit of Redstone, you can build up momentum on a circular track and open it up to the main line on a time delay. This is much easier to do with repeaters than it was back in the old days.

Does this top out? A functionally infinite distance cart launcher was the one thing I missed since powered rails replaced booster carts. Seriously, four carts and a bit of rail let you propel an occupied cart for 40 minutes. It was pretty hard to refit the rail lines after that. Also made a 16 destination subway switcher overkill.