Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Dominion posted:

Notch just tweeted that the "thing he tweeted about earlier" was a secret and he wasnt supposed to talk about it, so he removed the tweets. Anyone catch them before he got rid of them?

He said something about those going to MineCon getting a unique cloak.

e: Yep, https://twitter.com/#!/t_matthews/status/116253324403159040/photo/1/large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
Can't you just reset the password? I'm pretty sure the email address can't be changed.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
I run a server and see those errors all the time. It's probably just a connectivity issue. I don't think there's anything wrong with your game or the server.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
Gotta love the minecraft wiki.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Blocking posted:

Blocking allows for the slowest movements possible in Minecraft. This can occur when the player blocks, sneaks, and moves backward while under the effect of the slowness potion while going through cobwebs placed on top of Soul Sand that is placed on top of ice. This causes the player to move at about 1/32 blocks a second,(needs recalculation after new additions) or 1/2 pixel a second on a default 16x16 texture pack. Blocking while sneaking and with the additional events (but without slowness potion) allows lets the player go at roughly 2.38549618320 x 10-2 blocks per second.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
I think you deserve a little bit back from ~the community~, kas. Are you ending the texture requests when the grid on your website is full?

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

R.L. Stine posted:

I don't know if people still play adventure type maps but here's a thing I did. This was my first time making one of these so sorry if it's poo poo. Please tell me if I made a bunch of mistakes.

Download it to your personal computer

I haven't played an adventure map (let alone MC) in some time. That was a fun use of 10 minutes! I really liked the use of maps.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Mofeta posted:

:O The sheer size of that is impressive. I can't wait to see some builds from bedrock to the sky limit.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
That's really well done, JamSessionEin! Looks like theres a lot of space inside to build a pretty complex rail system, too.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
I guess I missed it, but can someone sum up the story with hey0 and Bukkit?

Also, this merger should have happened long ago. It's just going to be harder for modders to adapt now that the mod scene has grown so much. Overall, I'm thinking this will be for the better. As a server developer, I really dislike the idea of users having to install some client mods in order to log into a modded server. The integration of client and server modding API hopefully means some more complex "out of the box" capabilities!

Of course the drama is going to be fantastic too. :munch:

[Edit] Really, all I want out of Minecraft now is an official client-server API.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
Just check out the Minecraft or Bukkit forums and you'll see that a lot of the usual people are freaking out about this right now. Most people are pretty upset that their Bukkit plugins will be useless in 1.3. I think though that it might be pretty easy to make a plugin/mod for this new server API that emulates Bukkit's plugin loading system.

The developers working on Spout have mentioned "BukkitBridge," some system for compatabiliy as well.

All in all, I can't imagine that this merger will make anything worse. It can only mean more possibilities for client-less mods.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Pumpking posted:

Do we know when the full 1.2 update will be out yet?

According to mojang, tomorrow!

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

KakerMix posted:

This is the sort of stuff Bukkit pretends doesn't exist.

SMP mods that require client-side mods are out of the scope of the Bukkit project. The goal of Bukkit, I believe, was for a good server API to provide a better server experience. A huge portion of why I develop using the Bukkit API is because my users don't have to install anything in order to play. Hopefully now that the Bukkit team is working for Mojang, they'll be able to throw in some really useful tools for making client-server mods easy to install. My hope is that a user will be able to connect to a server for the first time and get prompted to install some mod that it requires by simply clicking a button.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

KakerMix posted:

You are talking about Spout for the connect-and-get-the-mods, and in the mean time we've got the Technic Launcher which does one-button mod installs that match the server we put out...

Yeah, some day I hope that functionality will come right out of the box without the need the pre-install a mod. I can understand why people are doubtful about the Bukkit guys taking on the official API, but this isn't going to be Bukkit 2.0. I know it's going to take a while to get it functional, but when it is I'm pretty confident a new age of Minecraft will dawn!

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
I just noticed this in 1.2:

Abandoned mine shaft floors are made of wood over gaps like ravines. This is definitely an understated update!

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

JamSessionEin posted:

drat, thats pretty impressive.

As for the land mass on top, I would go the route of ancient city/ruins. The tree idea is cool, but doesn't leave too much room for exploring and has also been done before. I can imagine a spread out Stonehenge-like ruin with some old smaller trees.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
This, combined with this and this would pretty much give us the same experience that is going on in the Minecrack competition.

I have a server that we could use, but it is currently broken :( (e: to be fixed in the next week). Does anyone else have a vacant server we could use?

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Coach Sport posted:

I don't know, SA is full of dudes that cheat at minecraft. Look at all the guys that have been banned from the Keepcraft server for x-raying and other hacks, its ridiculous the lengths some people will go to win at block game. You'd just end up with dudes digging straight to diamonds in the first 10 minutes and then tracking down the other players through walls and ruining their poo poo.

Maybe we could get the other goon servers to pool a whitelist/blacklist?

Wrist Watch posted:

Ultra Hardcore isn't just a map. It's also a mod which basically has you replace your .jar ...

It wouldn't be hard to merge a couple of mods together given some time in advance. I was thinking of using just server-side mods anyway so that no one has to mod their jar's.

Captain Zeroth fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 25, 2012

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Dibujante posted:

Run both maybe? One with PVP on, one with PVP off? I'm not enough of a MC god that I wouldn't find hardcore PVE difficult.

It's not hardcore without PVP. :yarr:

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
What if we limited each hardcore player on how many hours they could be logged in for per day? That way no one can significantly control the competition because of excessive adderall consumption and we don't have to coordinate time slots.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Narciss posted:

Can someone repost that story where a goon had his autistic little brother play Minecraft, and it ended with the brother beating a wolf to death while crying?

I must hear this story.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

ToastyPotato posted:

Question!

What is the simplest, most straight forward design for a mob grinder? The minecraft wiki has a bunch of designs, but the page also says that it contains out of date information that might have been since changed or removed from the game. :saddowns:

Also, I guess I could ask the same for an XP farm, in terms of simplicity. I would guess that a mob spawner in a a dungeon somewhere would be the simplest way to XP farm, but so far, I haven't found any spawners near my current home.

For an XP farm, you'll definitely want a mob spawner. I usually do my designs like this. It's pretty easy to make compared to other designs, and you can tweak it a lot without impacting performance too much. Just make sure the death drop is 22 blocks and that the water just before it doesn't touch the edge.

Designs like this wont net you any XP, but you could probably figure out a way to combine the types into something that works. You might as well just go exploring for a mob spawner, though.

Captain Zeroth fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
I was watching old videos of the Keepcraft server and they really got my nostalgia juices flowing. Does anyone know of similar PvP or faction-like servers? Particularly I'm thinking of the TNT mechanics. Every other factions server I've played on requires you to make obtuse TNT cannons to attempt Keepcraft style raids.

For those who never played on the goon run Keepcraft server, you could place and detonate TNT in enemy territory, but it wouldn't blow holes like in vanilla MC. Instead it would deteriorate blocks, blast by blast. It was a really unique method of attack that I haven't seen attempted anywhere else.