Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting endless out-of-memory errors every few minutes on my desktop which is getting really annoying. Anyone have any tips? The OP's tips seem to focus more on FPS which I have in the 120 range so no problem there. I'm running no mods, 1.8.1 Win 7 x32 with java 32 and more ram than a 32 processor can handle ( :doh: ) so I'm out of ideas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vatek posted:

Hit F3 in-game and look at Minecraft's memory usage. It allocates 989mb by default, if you're constantly near that limit due to the size of your world or whatever you might want to look into using a .bat file to start MC with a higher memory limit in Java.

32-bit OS means you've only got 3.5gb total to play with though, so don't overdo it.

It sits around 10% all the times I check.
Edit: left F3 on until it crashed- stayed at 9-10%, popped up to 20% sometimes, crashed with the screen frozen at 9%. The screen freezes, holds a few seconds, then gives the out of memory error.

VVV No, I'll look into that.
E2: This is SMP, I don't think I can change version :smith:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 14, 2011

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Crosscontaminant posted:

Are you using an nVidia card? There's a bug which causes out-of-memory errors when the draw distance is set as high as it'll go (which it is by default). Turn it down a notch level.

That seems to have fixed it! Is there a better way to fix it (drivers etc) or am I stuck on Normal view for now?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Strudel Man posted:

...why is it mirrored?

Prevents automatic copyright removal, apparently (according to the uploader comment)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sword
Bow
Pick
Shovel
-Blocks (cobble or dirt)
-Blocks
-Blocks
Food
Torches

One mousewheel click to get between sword, bow and torches and just one more reaches pick and food- everything used in caving. I typically only bring one stack of blocks caving (for blocking extinct tunnels or building bridges), the rest is easy to pick up while in the caves.

VVV drat right VVV

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 21, 2011

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My theory is that FPS players are the ones who put swords in the melee slot (1) and ranged in the next (2) since that's how it's been since time immemorial. I'd wager anyone who doesn't go sword-bow (or sword-pick-bow) was never a big FPSer.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Akliz has a Twitter feed that says they [minecraft.net] are having server woes.

http://twitter.com/#!/aklizhosting/status/128194789819686912

AklizHosting posted:

You maybe unable to login to your server. http://minecraft.net is experiencing some difficulties: http://twitter.com/#!/search/minecraft%20down

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PalmTreeFun posted:

I know this is supposed to be an old fantasy thing, but it's also really annoying because it makes poison potions even more useless. Unless you really like killing animals. I guess it would work in SMP, but then you even have to have separate traps for players and mobs. Or actually, separate traps for creepers/players and other enemy mobs. Or players/spiders/creepers if you're using instant harm. :psypop: Good luck getting that to work without mods.

Would it really kill to make the potion do what it says on the label?

They are going to be killer in SMP. Nothing else is threatening enough to warrant heavy weapons and splash damage except players, and basic monsters are warded against with simple torches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a schematic for an extremely compact vertical minecart track? I don't care if I'll be suffocating the whole way but I have about a 1x4 area to work with and very little leeway. I'd like to just push a button and it goes to the top- or ideally, the minecart at the top is sent to the bottom and the one at the bottom is sent to the top (I can handle the redstone).