Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I bought Minecraft for the PC ages ago and then kinda forgot about it. I came across the Mindcrack UHC videos and would throw those on when I was doing something around the house, and later picked up Pocket Edition, which was great back when I was taking a bunch of public transit and had lots of time to kill.

I've started playing Survival on the desktop version. In the game I'm playing now, I've set up a base around a village, built a Nether portal (quite lucky with that, it came out right next to a Nether fortress), and just finished up building an enchanting table/surrounding it with bookshelves. I've been playing semi-blind, only looking up stuff as I need to.

Couple questions:

1) It was getting hard as poo poo to find cows for the leather I needed for the books. Should more spawn eventually, or can you really hunt an animal to extinction in an area? Fortunately I had a pair of them I'd trapped in a pen on a whim much earlier, so by commandeering the village's wheat crop I was able to force-feed them into great enough numbers to finish the library. (Set up a sugar cane farm for the paper, which worked nicely.) I don't even bother harvesting the wheat anymore, have a few stacks chillin' in a chest. Ditto on the sugarcane.

2) Have been to the Nether, grabbed soul sand/wart and got a Blaze Rod for my brewing stand (not too hard, just beaned the poo poo out of it with snowballs). Only found one Magma Cube big enough to drop the cream for fire resist potions so far.

3) I'm level 34 now and have that enchanting table, but I'm basically all outta diamonds. I've found enough to make a pick and an enchanting table, but only have one left over. (Did find a desert temple, but accidentally set off a booby trap and blew the treasure room to kingdom come before I could check out the loot.) I've poked around in a few deep crevasses I've found and mined down to bedrock two or three times, still only came across it once or twice. Have almost two stacks of iron, 14 gold, and a decent amount of lapis/redstone. Should I just keep digging? It's more likely to be near lava, right?

On that, what order (tools, armor, weapons) is generally recommended for enchanting stuff? I was reading the wiki page on enchanting and my eyes started to glaze over.

4) Most efficient way to get flint? (Note: not yet to the point where I care to gently caress around with redstone machines and the like) I have a ton of feathers from keeping chickens, flint is the usually the limiting factor when I make arrows.

edit:

5) In an earlier game, I tried to make a lovely solar mob grinder. Basically, covered a valley with a ceiling of alternating glass and cobble (rows of each). Nothing ever spawned in it overnight though. Any particular reason it might not have worked?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Peaceful mobs don't spawn if there are too many other peaceful mobs nearby, so if you've got a pen full of chickens, you won't get any cows spawning for a fair distance in any direction.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "solar grinder". Mob grinders in general are pretty fiddly things. Could you post a screenshot?

Ah, that could be it. Got a fair shitload of chickens in my base, may thin them out for a while that I've got two or three stacks of feathers.

I don't have it anymore (deleted the game... was caving with all my stuff not and fell in some lava, just decided to try a different seed). Basically it relied on having mobs spawn there at night, then get toasted by the sun through the glass ceiling. I'm pretty sure I got the idea from something I came across online, but I built it without a guide or anything, so I'm not terribly surprised it didn't work.

Since my post I've found my first spawner (spiders), which netted me a pair of saddles in the chest! There are a shitload of horses around (village where I've set up shop is in a savannah biome) that have been taunting me since I started this seed :getin: Took a while to pinpoint where the spider/lava noises were coming from, turned out I was like one block shy on one of my branches.

Still no more diamond yet, spent a while mucking around branch mining off my original shaft. Shitload of iron and coal though, and did find a vein of gold piggybacking off an iron ore deposit.

edit: holy poo poo, thank you, much more lucid and helpful than anything else I've read!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 6, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I don't have an iron farm yet, so iron isn't renewable/plentiful like stone is.

I mean, neither do I, but I've got almost 3 stacks of iron from my various caving expeditions. I'm pretty stingy with it (stone tools for everyday stuff, usually leave the armor back in my base), to be fair.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 6, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

However, I'm going to say "seriously, gently caress diamond mining" because diamonds are needlessly rare. Seriously, finding diamonds takes way too goddamned long no matter how you do it.

Yeah, seriously. It makes it really cool to find them, but I think it's outside the tedium/reward curve.

Curious, has anyone made a "divining rod" type item in any of the mods?

Tried out that saddle and holllly poo poo! Got some serious above-ground exploring to do, only gone about a day's walk in every direction so far.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Naturally I fall down a loving mineshaft at level 34 before I can have my first go at enchanting stuff. Been grinding XP around my base to get back up to 30 - run around all night stabbing mobs and whacking grass for seeds, spam-feeeding my chickens and cows once the sun comes up. Savannah behind it looks like a moonscape with all the creeper craters.

Rode pretty far on the horse and started setting up a second base on the edge of a big rear end marsh I found... had actually started building bridges across the first few rivers, have kept that up so it's relatively straightforward to ride out there, with lit nerd poles marking the way. Think I might try another Nether portal and see if I can use that as a shortcut, it's still like a day or more on horseback.

Edit: oh gently caress me. Creeper spawned in my rabbit pit, blew my rear end up at level 27.

Edit2: Rabbits didn't even have the decency to drop a foot. :saddowns:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 7, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jamesman posted:

This is one of those rare drops that only has a chance of dropping if you personally kill the mob yourself.

Ah, feel slightly less bad about it now.

xzzy posted:

Even that might not work, I had a decent rabbit farm going at one point before I realized rabbit stew was not a stackable food and was cutting bunnies apart by the dozens. Never got a single rabbit foot.

Mine was pretty modest (probably no more than 12 at peak), although I usually tried to kill a rabbit whenever I passed one (which was often). So far I've gotten... one. Need to go lure two more back with my carrots and start over.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you don't have a swamp nearby you can cover the water with slabs before you plant.

Yeah, I made the :spergin: kind I found on the wiki article:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I made a second base a decent distance away from my main one, dug out a 5x5 shaft down to bedrock (just for aesthetics really, easy to build stairs going around it with a 3x3 hole in the middle). Once I hit bottom I just dug straight out in the four carinal directions, hit diamond in each branch within 5-8 minutes or so of tunneling :hellyeah: I've left 'em there for now though, have died a few times (mostly from creepers sneaking up behind me) so getting back up to level 30 so I can try for Fortune III on a pickaxe to maximize my harvest. I may just suck it up and get Fortune II though, I spent a while trying before with no luck.

I changed the language to Australian English, it's pretty tongue-in-cheek. (Furnace = Barbie, Netherrack = DownUnder Rock, Ender Chest = dropbox, etc).

edit: I guess I missed it due to my lovely reading comprehension; was going to settle for Fortune II when I finally go it, when I go to put a fresh diamond pickaxe on the enchanting table it was Fortune III (came with Effeciency III as well). With that I was able to mine those diamonds I found to give me almost a stack, got some diamond Depth Strider boots now, might pimp out a helmet with the Aqua Affinity and Respiration III books I have too so I'm good to go whenever I find an undersea monument.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 29, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Maybe just from not trying it enough, but you can get Silk Touch on a diamond pickaxe, right? When I put an iron one on the enchanting table it was there as a Level 1 enchantment, when I put the diamond one on it disappeared.

Also, damned if I can find a jungle biome. A sad, melon-less and ocelot-less game.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

A lot of it just has to do with situational awareness/ability to gear up fast. And dealing with mobs like skeletons and witches properly, because of how UHC works.

I actually got into Minecraft through UHC (was linked in a thread in Games somewhere, became my go-to background noise when I was cleaning my apartment or whatever), and I was hilariously conservative fighting mobs at first in Survival just from watching them :v:

About how long does it take them to put up new eps? Never followed a season live before.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

People who practically play MC for a living for the last few years apparently do not know this though. They take tons of damage in caves because they are tip toeing around every time they encounter a dark passage or hear a mob. Anderz is a great example because he blitzes through gave is is notorious for finding tons of gold and even diamonds. Pause routinely will be the only person willing to wander around outside during the night time looking for people.

I was just watching Anderz do this is S19E2, so much less tedious than the other players. Also, blitzing the Nether after he meets up with his other teammate.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 12, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
UHC S19E3 is up already! Anderz is pretty good as before, watch VintageBeef and then Pause's. Coestar also looks like he's stalking another victim for E4

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Serifina posted:

This season is the best I've seen so far. Just so many great moments. The most recent had some absolutely astounding moments. MCGamer's meetup with Seth was great - dude sounded completely panicked and it was just hysterical. Vechs and jsano leaving the netierh, and Vechs getting out of the portal at the last second as he sees jsano burn and then panics because ov voices and is just... oh, the entire last third of that video was just something else - I actually feel bad for Vechs, particularly since he's tried so hard to play this season straight, too. Pakratt racing by MCSeth on a horse without noticing was great. Milbee and goddamn coca beans, man. Just... what the hell. How do these people Minecraft, I swear! Just so much hilarity and the battles have been great.

Haha man, I'm glad I checked out the last Vechs/jsano videos, that was pretty great. Who trapped it? Or did their portal link to Team Anderz's? (Can't remember if they trapped the regular world side on their way out of that base)

ToastyPotato posted:

Milbee had one of the funnier moments this season so far for sure.

Also These people need to learn to not go to the nether without the ability to make additional exits.

I'm pretty new to Minecraft and even I couldn't believe the :doh: of that moment. Also didn't realize that healing potions were allowed, thought it was just golden apples... which most people I've watched seem to have in ample supply, for once.. Then again, I haven't watched much since the single-digit seasons.

Are there any other portals (that aren't trapped) Vechs could use? Otherwise yeah, could see his team getting picked off and then everyone coming in to the Nether to crush him at the end..

edit: ahahaha Nebris and his teammate saw Pakratt pass on that horse either right at the same time or juuuust before mcgamer & Seth also saw him and were trying to flag him down. They started chasing after Pak, when Nebris & co saw that Pakratt wasn't alone they faded back since they didn't have bows.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 17, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So I was playing my Survival game tonight, and rambled off in a direction I'd avoided due to some annoying forest/low mountains, mostly in search of a jungle, which I haven't seen heads or tails of. Go pretty far, found a village with a massive chasm running through it. I lagged a bit and fell down on a ledge just a few blocks down, was digging a staircase up for me and the horse, mounted up (didn't want the thing to get away), then quickly suffocated to death, hadn't kept a close eye on my health.

:negative:

Had been a little while since I logged my coords (was juuust about to put the village in when I fell), got back to the general area but can't find it. I assume if I wandered into the chunk I died in the 5 minute countdown started and my items rotted, right? Not really a huge deal since I left all my diamond/enchanted gear back at base for what was a semi-disposable exploring setup, although I'd found another saddle in a desert temple along the way, so I was out two instead of just the one I set out with. Still have two left in my Ender chest, at least.

Silver lining: was farting around the coast I'd been following, and climbed up a tall hill to get a look around, hoping I could see the village. I didn't, but I looked out to sea and *bam*, undersea monument. I started digging down on the coast because I had almost no cobble or anything to build with (was gonna try building a walkway out to it), got about 6 blocks down and found a pretty deep chasm. I staircased down and cleared it out, then started tunneling towards the monument, thinking I could be all sneaky and maybe get in that way. Nope, guardian dude popped up and mining-fatigued me through the rock.

UHC reminds me, speaking of portals re-routing: I brought obsidian with me on my recovery mission, built a portal at the seashore near the monument, intending to shortcut back home through the Nether. Took a quick look around and came back, spit me out in a new portal up on a hill within sight of the one I'd built, although not super close. Was that portal already there (generated by the game) and I came through it because I'd unwittingly built mine too close to it, or was it generated after the fact for some reason? Thanks to Jsano in the last episode, knew I could decommission the rouge portal with a bucket of water, which I did.

Best way to cross big lava lakes in the Nether: nerd pole up and tunnel through the ceiling? Feel like a bridge would leave me really exposed to Ghast attacks.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 18, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
UHC S19E06 is pretty boring across the board. Vechz started off kinda interesting, then barricaded himself in a room after making audio contact with teammates, think they're trying to hatch a plan to get him back. Everyone else just bumbles around doing very little.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

My cows still escape their pen every time I leave and come back. :negative: How many patches is this going to continue for? I have never had this problem elsewhere. I am going to try ONE more thing to see if it fixes it.

I just put my animals in a hole or a room with a regular door.

Hermsgervørden posted:

Watching UHC is my favorite thing about minecraft, and it still hurts me to watch my favorite players fail utterly to manage inventory correctly. Why does everyone carry like three stacks of cobble and a stack of dirt and never dump that poo poo when they are trying to free up slots? Why is it that when someone gets a kill they don't instantly craft some chests and sort things in a small fraction of the time they spend tossing one item after another? Stuff like gold bars get left behind, and these ~professional video gamers~ run off with four different kinds of food in their inventories. Ow my stupid OCD guts.

I think it was Coestar this season that was pretty self-aware of this, making bemused commentary about himself as he kept putting stacks of cobble into chests, calling it a "key strategy in UHC" or something like that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CJacobs posted:

"What's up Youtubers this is JimButtBallsack and welcome to Let's Watch Minecraft UHC Part 17, part 3. You may remember I was eliminated in episode 2 of the series, well don't worry, in this next half hour or so you'll get MY perspective on what's currently happening in the UHC world. Looks like Popular Minecrafter 1 is mining some cobblestone so he can make more furnaces..... looks like Popular Minecrafter 2 is creating a bench right now..... according to my exclusive spectator mode stats, generic white guy in his mid-20s to early 30s #3 is only 40 km (Kraftmeters) away from 1 and 2! RIVETING STUFF."

Haha, basically. They might be able to make it interesting if they introduced some sort of afterlife mechanic though, like repawning them outside the wall, where they have to compete to build the biggest cobbledong or something.

I watched (skimmed) most of the interesting E07 PoVs, one ended on Vechz's teammates building a portal, one going through just as the ep ended and it being trapped, though he's not tried to cross the lava yet. Also, mcgamer and Seth met up with Anderz's crew, so there's now five of them together, should be able to steamroll the others.

CJacobs posted:

In this case, however, fortune favors those who spend a million episodes in the series doing nothing because that's a million episodes people will click to give them money.

You could make one really awesome edit of all the PoV's together (I've seen a few relatively short, half-assed ones) with a good narrator providing commentary, but yeah, there go all them views for the individual streamers.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

You realize its because they make their living off minecraft and dying in their most lucrative video series fucks with their money.

They ought to start UHC like 2-3 beers in to lower their give-a-poo poo, and have to drink another one for each teammate they lose.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Speaking of bugs, I encountered this over near my undersea monument portal (can just barely not see the surface/sky):

Just a random rectangle of the world... missing. I tried placing a waterfall along the edge, but it acted like there was an invisible surface and flowed out over the air rather than downwards. Arrows shot across it underneath the surface kinda glitch out. As you can see, torches adjacent to it only light up the block they're placed on. I haven't jumped into it myself, but I did push a cow over the edge and it disappeared.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Infinity bows still exist in 1.8, right? Admittedly I'm kind of a casual player, but I have literally never seen it show up on the enchanting table with maxed out bookshelves/level 30.

Best way to find slimes? In my entire time playing I've seen maybe... 2. Would my best bet be to find a swamp, use cobble or something to make a big flat area to fight 'em on, and wait around for a full moon?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
*Finally* got a drat Infinity bow. I was honestly starting to think they didn't exist and the internet had gotten together in an elaborate troll or something. I'm not sure I understand the repair mechanics: how many times could I repair it (also came with Power IV)? I read that it lasts about the equivalent of ~6 stacks of arrows, so I suppose if I ever find a skeleton spawner it wouldn't be as useful. Seems easy enough to get a Power IV enchantment on its own, at least.

I also started setting up a blaze grinder at a fort in the Nether for later, just getting the spawner boxed off and the funnel set up (I still don't have the slime to make sticky pistons). I put some glass in the top part (in view of the spawner) and noticed some of the blazes will look at me through the glass and fly up, but not shoot. Best off ditching the glass up top (or moving it so it's out of the line of sight of the hallway I approach it from, if I absolutely feel like I need to be able to peek in there from time to time), I take it.

Main thing was despite making the slopes of the funnel a vertical drop of two blocks, it didn't seem like many of them were wandering off and falling down into the lower levels though. Aside from the glass, is there anything else I should be aware of, or do I just need to be more patient? I suppose I could use sticky pistons to push them from the 3x3 layer (decent number of them wind up down there) into the 1x1 to speed things up, but again, living in a slime-poor world for now.

This seed's a little annoying; I've been tripping over abandoned mineshafts when caving and and ocean monuments whenever I cross a sea, but no deserts and very few plains or other "open" type biomes to explore, mostly just dense forests and some big mountains thrown in. I guess I'll see about exploring more in the nether and plopping down gates to see if they spit me out anywhere cooler (until recently have only been building overworld -> Nether gates). Speaking of which, plotted out the Nether on graph paper (just noting gates, tunnels, and the fort I've found, not actually lava or other landforms), which makes it a lot easier to figure out getting around. So tempting to put it into Creative and just fly around the overworld to scout, but trying to play this game without using anything like that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SeventhSeven posted:

I have a stack of about 100 diamond ore mined with Silk Touch, and for the life of me I can't enchant a fortune III pickaxe to save my life.

That's my story.

I've found Silk Touch to be a lot more elusive than Fortune III :argh:

Like EtM said about gold, some materials are better for enchanting, or at least cause the table to re-roll when you put the same tool of a different material on it. I've never messed with gold tools, but I recently lost my diamond Silk Touch pickaxe after taking an unexpected swim in some lava. On a whim I stuck an iron one in my inventory on the table and Silk Touch was available (whereas the diamond one I was hoping to enchant only had Unbreaking III or something available). I just went ahead and enchanted the iron one for now, it's still got about half its durability, I mostly use it to grab diamond ore (lets me keep my sweet Fortune-enchanted pick back at my main base where it's not at risk of getting lost) or glowstone.

You could also combine Fortune I/II pickaxes on an anvil, not sure what your current supply of diamonds is though.

Mzbundifund posted:

I want underground biomes real bad but they'd have to change the way biomes are defined, add a Y value consideration. This is an unsolvable programming problem.

Would it necessarily involve adding a Y? Rather than try to add in a provision in the game's engine to also generate biomes vertically, maybe you could create new "underground varient" biomes under the existing system, like Plains_Underground, Taiga_Underground, etc. At surface level they look like their normal one, but are coded to generate big caves with other underground landforms (big mushrooms, glowstone, Endertowns, etc). Since the game already can limit mob spawns/feature generation by Y-value, it shouldn't be an issue to keep underground-specific mobs and other structures from generating in the surface parts of these biomes.

Also throw in the bit of code that signifies to the game that the "~_Underground" biomes should tend to generate adjacent to one another (the same way it knows to keep deserts and taiga from generating next to each other), which would likely lead to even bigger cave systems.

I could be way off here, I know very little about the game compared to most of you guys.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I finally broke down and loaded up that slime chunk viewer and there was a pair of them adjacent to my main base, where I'd already tunnelled down. Hollowed out one level of the chunks in question and have already gotten two big slimes to spawn, looks like I'll be set for Magma Creams and sticky pistons from now on, the former of which should make Nether adventures a lot more trivial. Should probably get around to figuring out how redstone works so I can finish that blaze grinder.

It kiiinda felt like cheating, but OTOH I think finding a slime chunk naturally is kind of an unreasonable crapshoot given how rare they are, and that Goldilocks spawning mechanic (have to be "no closer than ___ but no further than ___").

Also peaked around on the biome viewer and might make a trip 6,000 blocks away to check out the nearest Mushroom Island, think that's the only biome I haven't seen yet.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's also more space-economical for long expeditions. A Fortune III pick gives you 2 diamonds per ore block on average so you can bring stacks of ore blocks back to mine down at home and bring back twice as much on one trip. Which only matters if you're playing vanilla and aren't teleporting around or expanding your inventory space, but it's something.

Hadn't even thought of it from that angle, like that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I finally got around to tackling one of the ocean monuments near my main base (got careless building a blaze grinder and accidentally fell off the fort and into lava, figured I might as well do it when I didn't have any additional XP to lose by dying again).

With potions they're... pretty trivial, I couldn't be bothered to fight all the guardians so I just swam around with invisibility looking for the Elder Guardians. One thing I hadn't realised was the bucket of milk removing beneficial statuses as well; at the end I thought I'd be clever and use one rather than wait for the last mining fatigue to wear off, whoops. Didn't seem to be a sponge room at the first one, so I moved on to the other one nearby and killed 2 out of 3 of the Elder Guardians (ran out of potions before I could find the last one). Did find a sponge room there, so need to go back and find that last guardian so I can grab the sponges.

Am noticing how easy potions make the game: the Nether becomes pretty chill once you get potions of fire resistance (I've started swimming across lava seas, laying cobble bridges to create shortcuts between portals/forts), and pretty much the entire challenge of ocean monuments can be negated with water breathing/invis. I guess it makes the game more accessible to inexperienced players, but I think a better balance mechanic would be to make the more game-breaking potions (Regen II, fire resistance, invisibility, probably water breathing as far as ocean monuments go) only available after defeating the Ender Dragon, or some other late-game milestone.

Speaking of that, I guess I ought to start looking for an End Portal. I'm not sure how much more I'd want to do in vanilla after defeating the dragon, what are some good mods to look at for single-player content? I guess I'm looking for something kind of quest-y, or at least with objectives, as opposed to adding more bells and whistles to the core sandbox mechanic.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Have there been any updates to the way redstone connections work in the last ~2 years that would have broken this blaze grinder? Despite doing the half slab next to the upper sticky piston like he says at 11:56, the lever for the holding piston (upper) still activates both the upper and lower sticky piston. The button for the suffocation piston also causes the holding piston to briefly activate (after a number of ticks). Pretty sure I copied it exactly...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Have there been any updates to the way redstone connections work in the last ~2 years that would have broken this blaze grinder? Despite doing the half slab next to the upper sticky piston like he says at 11:56, the lever for the holding piston (upper) still activates both the upper and lower sticky piston. The button for the suffocation piston also causes the holding piston to briefly activate (after a number of ticks). Pretty sure I copied it exactly...

So I rebuilt this at another spawner and it's working fine. Or at least, the redstone components are.

I forgot about blazes being able to see you through walls and trying to attack in 1.8 (I don't know how, with all the drat racket as I was building it :saddowns:), which keeps them flying around and not falling into the bottom to get ground up. Is there anything I can do to keep them from spotting me, while staying close enough for the to spawn? Just hang out in an invisibility potion?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 17, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So I rebuilt this at another spawner and it's working fine. Or at least, the redstone components are.

I forgot about blazes being able to see you through walls and trying to attack in 1.8 (I don't know how, with all the drat racket as I was building it :saddowns:), which keeps them flying around and not falling into the bottom to get ground up. Is there anything I can do to keep them from spotting me, while staying close enough for the to spawn? Just hang out in an invisibility potion?

For whatever reason, this seems to be working fine now (blazes don't see me through the walls and aggro/fly up. They will sometimes start fighting each other, but they seem to reset if I duck out through the portal and back in again.

I was actually lucky enough to find two blaze spawners pretty much right next to each other in this fort, so I've built a pair of grinders below. The amount of XP you get just by going AFK for a few minutes to let the spawns build up is pretty awesome, at this point I don't really have to worry about levels for the anvil/enchanting table anymore. I did skip making the spawner on/off toggle with the lava and hoppers, which I'd recommend for anyone who wants to do non XP-farming/enchanting stuff near their grinders, as all the spawns start really lagging the game.

I still have yet to come across a skeleton spawner, but the game seems to have finally broken its stinginess with Infinity enchants (I went ages without seeing one, then after the first it seems to be regularly recurring) so I suppose it's immaterial now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Smoked the Ender Dragon (not really even a challenge with enchanted diamond armor, I think I used two Potions of Healing II for the whole fight?), figured it was time to move beyond Vanilla.

I went to install Forge, 1.8 seems to work fine, but when I tried installing 1.7.10 (which seems to be the version most mods require), the launcher spits this at me when I try to launch with the 1.7.10 Forge profile I created:

quote:

17:27:30] [main/INFO] [STDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:464]: at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
[etc]

The 1.7 Vanilla profile I created works fine, for whatever that's worth. Any ideas?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Thought I'd try SkyBlock. After one false start (messed up the lava generator) I was going pretty good. Decided to slab my way over to the sand island to collect the other chest... once I put a slab towards the bottom to start getting ready to collect it, the sand blocks suddenly realised they shouldn't be hanging in midair with nothing underneath and the whole thing fell away into oblivion.

Also mobs started spawning on the slabs that weren't lit up, I thought they weren't supposed to do that?

Minecraft :argh:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, it's been a long time since I've played this game, is it still possible to make those giant structures that spawn and then kill enemies, dropping off their loot at the end of the treadmill-like structure?

Mob grinders? Yeah, still possible. You can build ones that spawn mobs on their own (use darkness) but I usually just wait until I find a spawner. I found a pair of blaze spawners in adjacent rooms of a Nether fort and built a grinder on each one, XP for enchanting is now a non-issue. :getin:

Have found a number of spider/zombie spawners in the regular world but still no skeleton one. My enchanting table finally started coughing up Infinity enchantments after what seemed like forever, so I guess a bottomless source of arrows isn't all that necessary anymore, anyways.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

Is there a way to tweak large biomes worldgen? I like the idea of large biomes, but I actually think they might be a little too large. There's no way to quickly travel ocean (boats just aren't that fast) and they become massive.

The wiki says Large biomes are 16x bigger, but I'd sorta like to see what 4x and 8x look like.

Edit: I had thought this existed, and was right, but only in version 1.8 and up. Tekkit, why won't you updaaaate :argh:

Oh, good idea! I just tried a large biomes seed (wanted horses to be useful, instead of "whoops, there's a forest/mountain biome" after 1-2 minutes in any direction) and they're just too big.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Frobbe posted:

yeah, what i really meant to say was, people using portable can play against people on PC using the win 10 version.

Oh, whoa, really? So would this let you create a world in Win10 PC and have the PE users connect to it locally over wifi? Would it then be possible for the PE users to download copies of the map to their iPad, by any chance?

I'd really like to use Minecraft PE for a timeline activity my students have to complete over the rest of the year, where they're supposed to be adding events and pictures from the various civilisations they study. Rather than do it physically, I was thinking of using MC and having each block be 50 years, and use different coloured ones along the line for the different civilisations they're looking at, to help get a sense of the proportion and scale of the time range they're studying. On their own, they could research and build stuff from the various civilisations/eras. But I think if I left building the line itself to them, there'd be a decent chance for error in setting it up, and even if there wasn't, it's a lot of time on something tedious and not really history-related, makes it hard to justify from an educational standpoint. Basically, I'd much more rather they spent their time researching, designing, and building rather than counting out blocks of coloured wool, if you get my drift. Also I thiiiink there'd be Indigenous Australians on there, so we'd be talking ~50,000 years, and with no coordinates in PE they'd have to count out 1,000 blocks at my proposed scale. 1:50 years seems pretty much the only one think would work well, 1:100 would be too coarse for some of the Greek stuff, honestly even 1:50 is pushing it there, but any finer than that and the line would get ridiculous.

I'd be happy to do a template they could build off of on some rainy day, but I guess (until now??) you couldn't get a pre-made map in PE without jailbreaking or other tomfoolery. The local saving is important as I've used Minecraft in class before, and while the students *really* got into it, some of them couldn't resist the urge to grief. Also I'd like them to mostly be working on it outside of school, and I don't have the resources to set up a stable server, even if griefing issues didn't exist.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 9, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Lava pools exist at level y=12, hunt for your diamonds above that and below y=20.

Edit: Disregard y=20, but refer to this:

I like going through caves at diamond levels with a water bucket. Place water on stone and it will flow over lava turning it to obsidian. Then walk through and get all the diamonds out of the walls.

LABEL YOUR AXES :catstare:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've forgotten how capricious and mean this game can be sometimes. Had just found diamonds for the first time in my new game, was mining out some obsidian between two pools of lava at the bottom of a chasm, and had a creeper drop on my head and pretty much instantly explode, destroying my platform of cobble, killing me and melting most of my inventory. :argh: There must be some pretty memorable breakdowns at the end of permadeth games.

edit: hahahaha, it just happened again in the same spot, but since it dropped in front of me instead of behind was able to whack it back and get mostly out of its blast radius. Guess I need to find out where they're dropping from and plug it up.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 10, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Boat posted:

The fact they added in a "mobs won't jump to their deaths, but creepers? Yeah, they totally will, and also instantly explode on impact" dynamic to the mob AI is pretty much the best thing.

And do mounted skeletons not get burned by sunlight? I just got done playing "Run Lola Run" to get my stuff back when 4 of them (!) camped out near by base/spawn.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
At the rate this game is going it's gonna take forever for this to be an issue*, but would I be correct in assuming there is a pretty limited number of Elytra's per game? I read up on the wiki and they seem to only appear in the item frame on the Nether ship, seems tough to get to more than a few Nether cities via the portal thingie.

* Spawn is in a giant swamp, seems surrounded by Big Hills, I am probably just gonna shortcut through the Nether to get out.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just how unstable/buggy are the snapshots supposed to be? I've been putting up with a fair bit of glitchiness and block lag in single player that exiting and re-running MC would usually help.

I finally made a second portal out of the Nether at roughly 400, 50 (nether coords, found a fortress) and I got spat out at overworld (400, 74, -6)... inside a goddamn mountain taking suffocation damage, with no portal in sight once I broke the surface.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bat Ham posted:

Having some simple way to move a full chest would make my building projects 10x easier, I swear. Make it so that you can't do anything else while you're carrying it, or that you need a horse or something if you want, Mojang, I don't care. Or at least work some of those nice temporary scaffolding mods into the base game so that I don't have a justification for 8 double chests of dirt!

You can kinda do that with mules and saddlebags, right?

I kinda want to see a nomad playthrough with a mule train.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

quote:

Rabbits: Throwing this stuff in here cause it's cool and I didn't know about these changes. Rabbit health dropped to a heart and a half, and they're smaller than before. They also have a a 25% less chance at dropping the Rabbit's Foot when killed, and the biome they spawn in affects the skin type they have.

Wait, people were killing rabbits and thought: "hang on, these things are dropping waaaay too many rabbit's feet?" :confused:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Enzer posted:

Sounds like like it fits with the villager noises. :v:

hoa

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm doing some volunteer work at a school with some Year 8's, and wanted to try and take advantage of the fact they've got a computer lab with 30 MinecraftEDU licenses.

Right now they're starting a unit on landforms in their Geography class, so it seemed like as good a possible place to work it in as any.

If you have any ideas for activities that would be great (although as the teacher I should be able to think of some), I'm also after technical information and ideas on what sort of Minecraft resources are already out there that we could use.

Do you guys have any seeds to recommend (the school's version is 1.7.10) for showing off different types of landscape features, or could you link me to some downloadable world files that show off different landforms? Are there any mods that emphasise things like geological processes in world generation?

There is also a fair bit on disasters (avalanches, volcanos, etc), as well as human impact/degradation of natural environments, if there are any good ideas there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I never got into the game during its heyday (thanks to owning a subpar computer), so the game is still new-ish for me :shobon:

I did a vanilla playthrough at a leisurely pace a year and a half ago and have dipped in again a bit recently. I finally upgraded the cruddy graphics card in my desktop and gave installing shaders a whirl... what a difference! I also installed Biomes O Plenty while I was at it, something I should have done before starting my new world, but had just kinda forgotten existed.

Aside from the graphics overhaul and BoP, I was thinking I'd like a bit more than vanilla. I don't know that I'm after a tonne of new game mechanics -- stuff like "make crafting more realistic/annoying" or introducing a bunch of new crops doesn't really seem that appealing at this point. I tend to enjoy exploring, so things that add to that aspect would be good. It's cool to find stuff like towns, desert temples, etc... are there any mods that add new randomly generated structures? Twilight Forest looked like it'd be right up my alley, but unfortunately hasn't been updated since 1.7.

I was also considering trying a saved world that had stuff pre-built in it, but didn't really know where to start with that. I don't want to be tripping over people's stuff at every turn, but it'd be cool to be able to find stuff beyond the standard village/temple/witch hut while out exploring.