Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I tend to come down on the side of the need for risk outweighing the need for frustration free play. Worrying about losing your junk is a pretty big part of the SSP experience and I think the game would suffer if it was diminished much.

That said, I could get behind a less powerful version of the death-chest, particularly if it had some use aside from just making the game less cruel. A backpack would come closest to fitting the bill in my mind. It could have a very limited capacity, maybe 4 slots or so tops, but they are in addition to what you get in your regular inventory. On death, the backpack drops wherever you were killed with its contents intact and never despawns. Any items in your regular inventory would be scattered like usual. It would be equipped like a piece of clothing/armor so you could only ever use one at a time and it would have its own damage meter so that it could only be dropped and picked up a couple of times before it would fall apart.

So, you can keep a couple of important tools you don't want to lose in there and some valuable materials you might find, but you can still get stung if you aren't careful about managing your belongings. This way you also have to earn the luxury of having a few safe inventory items by gathering materials and crafting the pack yourself (I would make its cost reasonably steep), rather than just making death a minor inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU