Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
beagle bagle is a popular one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know I'm probably in the extreme minority here, but the reason I want food to heal over time is because of PvP. Currently playing against a skilled player is pretty frustrating because they have practiced and mastered the ability to have a billion food items to heal themselves. I think it would be a lot more fun to have this un-fun advantage removed. I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

A Sassy Dog posted:

I find it more likely that you are in a minority thinking PVP in Minecraft is good than thinking instaheal food makes Minecraft PVP unfun.

I wouldn't call Minecraft PvP good, but I would call it fun. The idea that someone's out there trying to steal your poo poo adds something to the experience that I can't really replicate with another game. The persistent nature of Minecraft servers is pretty critical to this.

I spent my first few weeks playing Minecraft on the Goonimati server. I never actively hunted anybody but best believe they hunted me. I lost everything 7 or 8 times before my will was finally sapped and I was defeated. It was pretty great.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 29, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In regards to item/weapon degradation, I think a simple way to repair your items would go a long way towards making the game feel a bit more involved. I think this could be combined with a simple leveling up of tools in order to give those tools a bit more value to the player. Perhaps a way to name them or customize them slightly. That way when you do die you're not just losing a pickaxe, you're losing your pickaxe. In a way it'd almost be like new items to collect, I can already imagine people grinding out tool levels so they can have a chest full of max level swords for the day that will never come.

edit: I'm thinking small gains like 5 levels with like a 5% dig/damage increase per level.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 6, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone else that runs servers having any issues with users trying to figure out what they'd rather have, IE: Creative mode or Survival mode? We're having a hell of a time debating which we want to run.

Pretty sure through mods you can have one map be survival and have players TP to a creative type map.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shnakepup posted:

EDIT: I'm at work, so I can't check it, but can someone with the leaked version check out how the Gargamel seed looks? I'm just curious.

This was the first thing I did. It looks completely different, so all the old cool seeds are now useless.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Cool seeds won't catch on unless its a small word or phrase. So get typin' people :colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I kinda like the idea of being able to kill other players in SMP and take their xp. Could lead to some fun arena type events if you're not into the pvp servers.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

bout it flautist posted:

I wish there was a mod that added blood moon style events. Maybe every third night or so, mobs would spawn twice as often and be twice as powerful. It would certainly make survival more difficult! The endermen are a little disappointing. :(

This is a great idea, but the problem is to not make it irritating (as it eventually became in Terraria). I wish I was smart enough to figure it out because thinking up ways to make this game harder without being tedious is pretty difficult in itself

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Javid posted:

It's like jeb thought "you know what's missing from single player? Griefers!"

This exists, they're called creepers. Especially if they somehow destroy a chest you JUST made and JUST stuffed with poo poo in preperation to make a minibase... :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FirePhoenix posted:

I don't know, I just see a lot of pictures from a lot of different seeds here and most look similar. Someone was just remarking that all the seeds have crazy mountain ranges now, instead of us having to search seeds for them.

I know what you mean. I foolishly ventured into MinecraftForums.net to search for posts about seeds. There's a lot of them, but they all show normal 1.8 features that people are mistaking for unique.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
quote is not edit, goddamn it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Super Dude posted:

There really isn't an excuse not to be running a 64 bit OS now.

I don't run one because I don't have it. I also use a CRT monitor and a wired mouse and keyboard! And only 2 gigs of RAM :(

Newer poo poo's expensive.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ThndrShk2k posted:

Question: A while ago I had a pickaxe replace itself with one of my other pickaxes of the same type in my inventory without me doing anything. I thought this was a cool thing.

Problem: It hasn't happened again, was I hallucinating?

This is a feature of the InventoryTweaks mod, if that helps at all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Schwarzwald posted:

That's it. That's the one item Minecraft needs to complete itself:
Lightning rods.

I don't want to be forced to put uglyass lighting rods all over the place though. having a hundred open flames light your house is impractical enough.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remember once looking up a guide on how to get double-doors to open on a pressure plate using redstone. I took one look at it and decided I'd rather just live with single doors.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Actually it's more I don't really want to dedicate the time to learning it for the sole purpose of applying it to a block building game.

edit; I guess my point is the average player wouldn't have much use for it. The only reason I was ever interested was because I was playing on the Lost Shard server, where you really really need to lock up your poo poo. Seeing people make things like combination locks was mighty impressive. Maybe I'm not creative enough to see the applications of it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 28, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Light Gun Man posted:

but I have the best furniture in town far as I'm concerned. I got pinball, bitches.

I'd love to see some pictures. After seeing JamSessionEin's amazing town (I don't have any pics sadly, maybe he'll see this and post some) a while back, I'm always on the lookout for creative furniture use. Someone posted a fencepost chandelier earlier that I thought was pretty awesome for instance.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Azurius posted:

I've used the same loadout since notch first added survival mode, since when it was first introduced you started with tools, and I got too used to the way they were arranged when you spawned then to ever change:

1. Pick
2. Shovel
3. Axe
4. Sword
5. Bow
6-8. Food/crap
9. Torches

I was really hoping to find someone with my identical loadout for some reason. You are not alone! 7 or 8 usually has dirt for making bridges/nerdpoles. The weird thing though is I don't do this loadout for the same reason you do, I had no idea that was a default once.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I guess I never really thought about it but the Survival Island video series from Yogscast was what convinced me to buy the game. However I ran across the video by reading this forum, and my initial interest came from reading the thread about it. Since Yogs came from here anyways I'd say the real person behind the success of Minecraft is Lowtax. To say nothing of the Yogbox and now Technic...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

truncated aardvar posted:

Man, you can tell when you've been playing this game too much. EVERYTHING reminds you of Minecraft.

I work in warehousing, so it makes it worse. That tall pallet over there? Looks like a creeper. Removing large, square boxes from the load face of a shipping container? I'm mining. Using crates and some steel tubing to build a quick and dirty dispensing system for some continuous length cloth? Redstone and piston contraption!

I like to think that somewhere, in the back of the warehouse where nobody ever goes, one might find an entrance to quite the impressive box fort...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

That is one ugly texture pack. I know everyone's about Sphax and all and it's pretty OK I guess, but my favorite one has always been Dokucraft. It reminds me of old-school SNES RPGs like Chrono Trigger or something.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 15, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MooCowlian posted:

If I'm stuck in a cave without a bow and all I have are stone swords and leather armour, or I'm low on food, it's an entirely different game.

Am I the only one that never uses bows? I don't want to waste those precious arrows. What if I need them later? :ohdear: I'm also the guy who beats Final Fantasy games with like 15 megalixers in my inventory. Or Fallout constantly collecting stimpacks that I will never use over a Sunset Sarsaparilla

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 7, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How exactly does one Minecraft with zero trees? Find a natural cave that leads to a natural abandoned mineshaft and loot that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

But, ah, what if the enemy could block, as well?

This made me imagine some kind of ridiculous combination of Minecraft and Dark Souls. A man can dream...