Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Sassy Dog posted:

It would be Valve's decision whether they wanted to sue or not. Maybe the game wasn't even an FPS? Maybe it was a little tower defense game and they didn't feel any threat from it.
The thing about trademarks is that, to maintain your legal ownership of a trademark, you have to
1) actively use it yourself
2) defend it from becoming genericized
Often you don't have a choice to not send someone a legal cease-and-desist when it involves trademark, even if it's a little indie studio making a tower defense game.

If Bethesda owns a trademark for "Elder Scrolls" is the area of "video game title", it is actively harmful to them for someone else to use "Scrolls" as their video game title. If they don't make any objection to this, when someone else makes a game called "Ancient Scrolls" a year later, then either Bethesda or Mojang would have a more difficult time preventing it. Bethesda would be in danger of losing their trademark, something which is pretty valuable to them, being the supertitle to a very successful franchise.

quote:

The corruption lies in the actual intent of the registrant/developer and the actions that follow in the years to come.
The line between abuse and normal defense of trademarks can be really thin. You have things that are obviously abusive, like Monster Cables suing anyone they see using the word monster, even if it happens to be "Bob's Monster Bait Shop", or that guy who said he owned the word stealth. But in a lot of these cases, this one in particular, it only seems abusive if you're a fan of one of the parties or there is a big underdog component.

---
In this case, what would be best for both parties would be if they enter into some sort of legal agreement about the mark where both win. IE Mojang surrenders the mark to bethesda subsidiary to their "Elder Scrolls" mark, and bethesda licenses it back to them. Good PR for bethesda, and Mojang doesn't have to rename their game. I would bet that was what happened in the Southwest case linked above, behind the scenes in the legal departments.

Do the quake-off thing as well, just like the Southwest arm wrestling. Great cross-promotion for zenimax (owns id), maybe bethesda can bring some id guys into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DoubleDown11 posted:

I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread or not but I'm going to ask anyway:
I'm looking to buy a mini-pc, and since the only thing I really do with my desktop nowadays is play minecraft I wanted to get one that ran the game better than my current lovely computer. The one I'm looking at (the dell zino 410) has an AMD Phenom II X4 P960 Quad Core Processor 1.8GHz, 6 gigs of ram, and an AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5450 MXM Discrete Graphics Card.
I am pretty stupid with computers so please forgive me if these are not the stats that would actually be usefull. Will this setup run Minecraft well?
From a page back but wanted to say: this will play minecraft well, but not super great. It's a laptop system packaged into a little box. I would predict you won't be able to use far draw distance without lag spikes or occasional low fps, though that may depend of your screen/window size.

I would only get the Zino if you *really* want a tiny box computer, as the normal mini- or slim-tower has ridiculously better performance for the same money. But if you are, the cheaper Athlon II X2 cpu will actually perform better in minecraft (and most day-to-day tasks too). It only has 2 cores vs the phenom's 4, but at 2.3ghz is much faster. Minecraft needs mods like optifine just to use 2 cores, so it can't even use half the Phenom X4.

lizzyinthesky posted:

Throw an SSD in that and you should be fine. The Phenom there is a bit slowish but should be plenty for minecraft.
Huge disagreement here. An SSD is not going to improve the performance of a computer like that -- and I doubt would ever help minecraft in any computer under normal circumstances.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vanderdeath posted:

I still say 'Ay-ther' for aether despite knowing that it's incorrect. I feels better and more mythological that way (in my opinion.)
Interestingly, that's just about the only wrong way to say it.

Long i (eye-ther): Classical latin / greek
Short e (eh-ther): Imperial & medieval latin
Long e (ee-ther): Modern english pronunciation of the æ ligature.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RossMan4Life posted:

Just for the sake of this lovely dialogue, I think the question of whether there's enough diamonds for you is pretty much dependent on whether or not you know that diamonds are best ground from the earth at 12-18 height using a spergy efficient method.

In my case it also depends on if I want to use that tactic, which I find extraordinarily boring and cheesy.
I absolutely agree. Digging out a speg-wastika is about the most boring and tedious way to spend one's time. And it feels dumb since it is neither fun gameplay nor anything like realistic mining.

A mod that I would highly recommend for people who want a legit experience but more entertaining prospecting is finder compass. It adds additional colored lines to the compass that point at diamond or other (user-configured) blocktypes. Since it has limited range, it doesn't feel nearly as much a cheat as xray or other instant diamonds. You still have to mine or explore a bit to find them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HardDisk posted:

I don't know how this didn't raise any red flags earlier in development. Or right before launch, actually.
"It's an alpha! You can't expect everything to be perfect, but we're paying for future development. Support indie games!"

"It's a beta! They're making a lot of new features. And sure, they've sold a lot of copies, but that means they can afford to hire some *top* talent!"

"It's a... well poo poo."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The thing is there are only 32k max blocks per chunk, that is so loving trivial. 99% of blocks are static, they don't require any math beyond populating and z culling. Other people are making cube-based engine demos, some with full physics environments(!), and they don't have poo poo fps on good hardware. Minecraft has java and bad coding, both are a problem, but the bad coding is much worse.

Edit: infiniminer didn't have poo poo performance three years ago. It had the same issues to deal with, could deal with maps larger than the draw distance, and didn't have eleventy-million dollars for development.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 30, 2012

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ixjuvin posted:

Can anyone provide or point me to a step-by-step guide to setting up an adventure-type map for multiplayer? I have no experience with setting up minecraft servers and somehow I haven't found any helpful information.

Follow the basic instructions on setting up a server.

Then, once you and your friend can connect to the basic server, copy the adventure map to the folder where your server is running, and edit server.properties in notepad. At the minimum you change level-name to the name of the folder that the adventure map is in, but also do whatever the adventure tells you for difficulty etc.

Note that you can run a server on the same computer you're playing on, but you'll need a somewhat beefy machine. Especially for adventure maps, which often want longer view distances and do fun things with tnt, lava traps, dozens of pistons, and other high-cpu stuff. If you have a 2nd computer, even a pretty old desktop can run a 2-3 person server quite well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Slickdrac posted:

I've been using localhost, this is what I have to do. Once I get in, I can play for hours with no issue. My wife hasn't had this problem at all from her computer.
If you're running a server at home or other private location, set "online-mode=false" in server.properties in your server folder. A string of disconnects like that are sometimes from failed login verification.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

just keep scrolling posted:

GIF's ahoy; they might take a while.

You know there's this amazing thing called video that they invented recently. You should look into it. It's kinda like those animated images you're using but more efficient, and it doesn't freeze people's browsers as they try to load 30mb of loving gifs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Corky Kraptrucker posted:

So are people who don't know much about computers going to be able to play it, or will it be like Minecraft with way harder and mandatory redstone?
Kinda yes to both. (Though the "redstone" will be way easier because even though it's words instead of lines on the ground, it won't have redstone's idiotic inconsistencies and limitations.)

The basic idea is that in the early days of personal computers, tons of kids (and adults) got their start in coding by getting a C64 magazine with 5 pages of code you could re-type into your computer and play Frogger. Then maybe you started modifying it so you had more frogs, or the cars move differently, and eventually you know how to code and you're making your own game.

0x10c is trying to replicate that experience -- except that instead of entering code for Frogger you're writing code for flying the ship or mining an asteroid or whatever. And you probably won't have to type it by hand from a magazine, you can copy & paste from a wiki. But eventually you might start modifying those programs some that they do this instead of that, and you'll learn something about coding.

Further metaphor: getting Frogger to run on your C64 was one of the rewards that made the "learning to code on a C64" meta-game worth playing. Will the in-game events and rewards in 0x10C make that game fun and compelling for someone who does not initially know how to code or take pleasure in doing so? I hope so, but Notch is trying to do something much harder and more abstract than digital Lego.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, that's not really what the game is about. The spacecraft is meant to be manned, by at least you, and possibly other players too. It's more like a sandbox space sim where instead of directly controlling the spacecraft, you're a guy inside of it doing stuff, including operating the computer systems and poo poo.
I don't anyone including Notch really knows what the game is going to be.

Right now he's got a simple virtual IC (easy), a lightly-interactive 3d engine (easy), and a bridge between the CPU output and a dynamic texture in the 3d environment (not hard but still interesting). The actual hard poo poo is the rest of his feature list. I predict he'll have the same sort of difficulties with this game that he had with Minecraft, even though he's learned a lot since the MC alpha. It seems he wants it to be very sandboxy, but for a sandbox to be satisfying the environment has to be highly interactive. If it becomes a more linear or directed experience (like some people mentioned FTL), many things are easier.

Allen Wren posted:

You say this now.
An emulated virtual CPU is ironically much easier to do than the weird virtual circuitry that is redstone. If the DCPU in 0x10c ends up having a float bug I'll bet on it being intentional, not accidental.

quote:

(Insert bitter complaint here about how some people just don't get programming, no matter how programming-types dumb it down for us and said programming-types just don't get that.)
You can definitely learn to program, even if you think you can't. You just haven't been taught in a way that jives with how you learn. Some people learn programming as a form of math, some people learn it like a very particular foreign language. You just need to find the right combo of language and tutorial and it will click.

OTOH 0x10c may not be the best learning environment, because the programming language is a form of assembly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the problem is that, even if he fences them in, reloading the game will eventually cause some of them to spawn on the wrong side of the fence. Given enough time, you'd lose all of your idiot villagers to this.
Yep. They've been working on this block phasing bug, but it still happens with fences, particularly if you have two mobs colliding.

If you're building a jungle village with tree houses, I'd only grab specific guys like the priest or librarian to put up in the trees. They can have a tree temple or library with solid walls, and no other villagers to push them off the edge. All the villager peons can have little jungle huts on the ground.

Villagers will walk into cacti because no mobs have any sort of pathfinding avoidance for cacti (which is why people used to build mob fences out of them).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
My problem with this new function is that they're doing transistors wrong. That "locking" behavior is not how transistors work, and it would be awesome if 2 repeaters equaled a transistor. This is how it should work:
a) place a repeater with redstone input & output.
b) place a second repeater pointing at first repeater. The first repeater immediately updates itself to that new graphic of a "barred repeater" and changes it's method of operation.
c) the barred repeater is now a transistor, and only passes power when the second repeater is powered. Bam, you have a 1-tick AND gate with no torches, and an additional tool for making more complex gates smaller and faster.

I don't like this power locking, I think it will cause a lot of difficulties when implementing complex circuits because its behavior is non-linear. IE, the sequence of power & de-power events matters to the output.

KrautHedge posted:

It would be nice if instead of making us build each gate using half asked binary logic and instead gave us a block that performed each function.
Urgh I actually hate this idea. First of all, they aren't "making" us implement logic gates, they're just making a semi-faithful recreation of electricity, and this is a thing that electricity can do. If Notch had never added redstone and instead put all his attention into a fluid dynamics system, with pipes and pumps and water wheels and hydraulically-operated pistons & doors, we'd be using completely different principles.

Second, gate-blocks would make things easier and could bypass some redstone bugs and weirdness. But it also feels boring. And if you're adding gate-blocks, why not just make blocks that do full operations on their own? Yeah it kinda sucks that if you want a simple piston door you have to build a bigger wall to enclose the circuitry, and if you want a bunch of cool automation stuff in your house you need a huge basement to put it in. But if there was a 1-block door-control block, would it actually be any fun to use?

Also a lot of the bulk of redstone could be reduced if they added direct verticals & insulated wire. It's not like they have to implement all or redpower or the other redstone & tech mods. Just those two things!

PS thinking about this is just reminding me that Zachtronics, creator of Infiniminer, also made KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People, a "game" that really just a pure EE Circuit Design 101 course. I've always wondered if Notch's reason to create an extremely half-assed implementation of faux circuits as "redstone" was because it was another thing Zach had done.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Iacen posted:

Something that would appeal to me, would be an implementation of something like Ugocraft, where doors, elevators and such are managed by clever mechanisms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGYaQPIiq84

I would actually be able to build a door with these things. What I'm essentially after is an Easy Mode, something that doesn't make me look like a drooling idiot.
Right. I totally support those things existing, and I'd never say that everything has to be hard because it builds character. But I personally prefer those types of things being available as mods, and the base game staying general-purpose. I'd rather they spend their developer time implementing the loving API system and other things that would make mods better and not require decompiling obfuscated source to update. Maybe cherry-pick a few things from popular mods that fit well in the base game (pistons, vertical redstone), but I'd rather Technic and Ugocraft stay as mods.

It's not like I'm a vanilla purist, I use mods plenty.

Someone else, many pages ago, made a "It would make redstone easier and less interesting!" as an argument against circuit blocks, and I still disagree.
I feel like you're only looking at how it would affect the current level of practical redstone applications, and not how it would make some of the more impractical applications suddenly much more practical. I think it would do a lot to promote even more experimentation and discovery.
Maybe you're right. I don't know, I'm just really against the idea of gate-blocks that slot into the existing system, redstone lines leading into and out of them in a condensed but less interesting replication of what we have now. You know what every redstone contraption more complex than a door would look like? A grid of gate-blocks spaced 1 apart, with redstone connecting them and some I/O lines. Something mega-huge might even be a 3d grid :aaa:. Dull as heck, and honestly just as incomprehensible when looked at from outside. Just smaller.

I could get behind the idea if it was some new game design, rather than old game design but more boring.

quote:

First of all, slippery slope arguments are bogus. Mojang could easily draw a line.
But that's the point. For someone that doesn't understand binary logic, gate-blocks are just as bad as torches and repeaters. You'd like gate-blocks, but Iacen wants door-hinges and other elements that just do a thing without having to make a computer to do it. Mojang can draw a line, but someone is still going to be on the other side of it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jamesman posted:

Started setting up the skybridge hub for the jungle village, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Thoughts?
It looks like a building, not a network of bridges. I would:
  • Make your hub / main area a lot higher, like based around the middle leaf layer of the big jungle trees. Plant more of the big ones in a group to be the "frame" of your hub. Maybe even make an artificial megatree that's even taller as the central tree.
  • Get rid of the wood pillars. Stuff should look suspended from trees, not connected to the ground. If you use stairs at all, they should wrap around a tree, not be a staircase. Anything that descends to the ground should be skinny to emphasize tallness.
  • Give the bridges a bit of arch or sag to them so they look like real objects. Slabs look better than full blocks for small bridges.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I guess there is climbing repair costs every time you do a repair.
Every time you do anything to an item in an anvil it gets 2 levels more expensive to do the next thing. So if you want to name your cool item you'd best do it in the process of combining or repairing it. Also never do a 1 diamond repair to "top up", wait until it's well worn and shove as much repair as you can fit in one go. It also limits how much you can combine enchants, otherwise the way to make good stuff would be to spam level 1 items and stack them.

Finally, the penalties for multiple enchantments are huge. The last page a guy was complaining about not being able to make a 4 enchantment sword. Well, it absolutely is possible, you just have to hit the right combination. It's easy to go over when stacking enchants, and you won't get many repairs out of it before that get too expensive as well. I'd rather have a repairable sharpness 5 + looting sword and take 2 swings at poo poo than a 4 enchant wonder-sword.

I agree with the escalating costs idea, but I think it could have been better. Maybe have repair and enchanting to be on separate tracks, so repairing costs more materials each repair rather than more levels. Repairing a low-level enchanted item could then take way fewer levels. Also it would be cool if anvils were modified by material so you could dick around making cool leather armor or iron tools for less levels.

The Mojang people seem to be against the concept of mob grinders and xp farming, but the anvil pretty much requires them even for someone who didn't grind out a bunch of 30s to start with.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boat posted:

Pretty sure carried items always drop. Had a bunch of zombies running around a swamp carrying slime balls. :3:
Carried rare items that they spawned with will sometimes drop. (Zombie carrying a shovel occasionally drops a shovel, zombie wearing chain mail occasionally drops a piece of chain mail.)

Carried items that they picked up off the ground by walking over it will always drop. (Zombie wearing a complete set of enchanted diamond armor & sword, because you fell to your death and it happened to be nearby? All of it will drop. Good luck if you're doing a naked corpse run though!)

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I just got my first dropped bow since the patch and it was just about broken. I'm 3 levels into my Etho styled XP grinder and it still isn't pumping out many mobs. I had a bunch more cave unexplored than I thought and lit it up, but I am sure there is probably much more. I probably picked a bad spot for this grinder. I built it way in the sky in the hopes it would help. In any case, I figure I would add about 3 more layers and see if that helps.
Lighting up caves will help more, think of it as the ratio between unlit block surfaces in your tower and unlit blocks in the rest of the world. It's hard to build enough levels to compete with even one dark cave. If you can't light up like 99% of caves within 7 chunks, you're better off using a spawner for XP.

Building it up in the sky makes no difference because spawning is done across loaded chunks, ground to sky. Putting it too far up can actually be counterproductive because if you are more than 128 blocks (true distance) from a monster it despawns immediately, also mobs won't spawn above z240.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Disappointing Pie posted:

Uhhh, so did anyone read the contracts before they signed, there is a poo poo ton of I don't know what's going to happen in there.

There's a poo poo-ton of I don't know because the contracts are that microsoft owns their poo poo. Microsoft can do anything they want with it.

However, in microsoft's press release:

quote:

Microsoft expects the acquisition to be break-even in FY15 on a GAAP basis.
Prepare your anus for the cash-shop / paid DLC / $40 Minecraft 2 / whatever the gently caress else they plan to do to make back 2 billion dollars in less than two years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hacking minecraft for unauthenticated play is the easiest thing, but the downside is that it hurts the server communities a lot. You lose whitelisting and most other good anti-griefing tools if you don't have authenticated names.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Apparently Sweden has a 79% tax rate on these kinds of things, so no Notch probably isn't a billionaire, but Sweden is making bank!
He's probably not getting the money in cash, and maybe microsoft threw in a free consultation with their lawyer-accountants on how to keep his money untaxed. They're world-class experts at that subject after all.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let's try to be fair, though: Notch has spent the last five years taking a lot of poo poo from eight-year-olds and/or sperglords, pretty much all day every day.
When you take poo poo with one hand and piles of money with the other, I have a hard time being sympathetic. And some of that poo poo was deserved and he could have done things to reduce it. I'll reserve my sympathy for the indie devs who take a lot of poo poo but make about one ten-thousandth of the money Notch has cumulatively gotten from eight year olds and sperglords.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tiran Dirth posted:

A game that old cannot be shifting that many copies any more
Wrong. Oh so wrong.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Crappy Jack posted:

No, you see, you have to keep helping those old ladies, because if you aren't constantly helping them, they're going to yell for not doing enough work, even though helping old ladies shop was just sort of a thing you did as a hobby for a while.
And if he had been giving minecraft away for free all this time, asking only for the occasional donation to keep the lights on, your analogy would stand up.

Nobody gives the dwarf fortress guys poo poo (well probably some people do because people are shitheads, but the volume is likely ignorable).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sword_man.gif posted:

Ha ha ha, you think the people working on Minecraft now will still be working on it.
The main coders probably will, keeping the people who know the code during a transition like this is super important. Especially when half the comments are likely in swedish. Microsoft is probably giving them an instant raise in fact. But longer term MS is for sure going to move development to seattle area.

Chalks posted:

I assume it's people trying to illustrate the obvious reason notch would want to cash out. I mean holy crap imagine having to deal with this abuse 24/7 then someone comes up to you and says "hey buddy I'll give you 2.5 billion dollars and you'll stop having to deal with this stupid poo poo" - anyone who thinks he'd turn that down is completely insane.
Oh for sure it's a reason. Hell it's 2.5 billion reasons. But it's not a reason for me to say "Oh poor sad Notch, it was our fault that he sold. We have driven him out!" Not one bit.

Notch was a big fan of sticking his nose into other people's business and criticizing them for selling out. Now the boot is on the other foot.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fondue posted:

"If you push the red button you will get 2.5 Billion dollars ... but be called lame for the rest of your life. Do you push it?"
But in this case there's also a blue button you can push that gives you 200 million plus 20 million a year for the next X years plus you keep control of loving Minecraft. People mostly think you're cool except some shitheads on the internet, and maybe you get some blowback if you write a particularly dumb opinion piece. You don't have to wear the dumb fedora if you don't want to.

I think I'd take the blue button.

edit: but also I've never been in charge of anything that touched more than one or two hundred people at the very most, so god knows if I'd actually hate pressing the blue button.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 15, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Magmarashi posted:

Unless you want to wash your hands of the entire thing and bank 2.5 B, which looks exactly like what he wanted. He clearly didn't give a gently caress about 'keeping control' since he handed it off once already.

This dream world Notch that actually cared about Minecraft died a long rear end time ago
Yeah I'm responding to the idea that anyone not-Notch who wouldn't take the 2.5 billion is an idiot.

Notch chose what he did, he's free to do so. I, personally, think that he's gonna regret it in five or ten years based on the fact that every ideal that he's expressed before now was against this sort of thing. But if he couldn't take being in his position, he maybe had to get out in the most extreme way possible. I, personally, am disappointed in him selling out to Microsoft. Not angry, just sad that a video game cultural phenomena gets absorbed by a corporate giant in exchange for a pile of cash.

What I really dislike is the concept that assholes on the internet are responsible for all bag things. I'm anti-rear end in a top hat, but not all harsh criticism is indicative of rear end in a top hat-itude. And anyways, if the assholes on the internet are the worst thing in your life that's a pretty loving charmed life.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcon2001 posted:

I dunno. I think the enormity of being that big of a figure is not something you can just deal with with cash, because it's a mental thing. I personally just could not handle being called an rear end in a top hat or an idiot or a manchild everywhere I go on the internet because I made a virtual lego game a few years back. It would literally be unbearable for me personally; that doesn't mean my followup is 'and that's why notch is perfectly good and justified', but I think people way underestimate the mental impact of that sort of constant negative commentary wherever you go.

No, cash doesn't cure it. But being poor is even more stressful than having some people call you bad names, plus you have no money.

Again, if his life was intolerable either because of assholes yelling at him -- or more likely just the stress of being in charge of an enterprise like Minecraft Inc -- he had to make a change. I think a smarter and more mature person could have done in a way that wasn't playing quake at the office for months and then throwing his hands in the air and selling the whole thing. But that's notch for ya.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jin Wicked posted:

Not angry or anything, but I think it's okay to be a little sad. I've had a lot of good times playing Minecraft with my husband and IRL friends over the last couple of years. I don't really have any faith in Microsoft. My impression of the 360 is a fickle box for serving up advertising with a side of video games. When it seems like everything in the world is owned by a handful of huge companies, it's disappointing to see yet another property get gobbled up.

This, and then I think even more about all the kids that play the game. Everyone would have had a really lovely opinion of Mr Rogers if he had sold out. Notch is no Mr Rogers, but at least he had a philosophy that it isn't ok to exploit people, particularly kids, via his game. Microsoft has done the opposite in the past, though at least not so much in their kids / "family" targeted games.

jivjov posted:

They're already getting their "crumb of the pie". Their paycheck. They aren't entitled to any of the corporate sale money, any more than Microsoft employees would be to direct percentages of profit.
They aren't entitled, but in fact many Microsoft employees do get crumbs of the pie. You can get stock options above a certain level, and even low level people get bonuses which get bigger when the company is doing well.

OTOH nobody in video games gets that stuff, and I'd wager that Mojang's supposedly lovely wages aren't terrible by industry comparisons, even when you factor in the cost of living in Sweden. Plenty of people who are game devs are renting apartments.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OwlFancier posted:

It does? I thought it had a reputation for taking its games studios to bits and wrecking the IPs?
Yeah but while they're doing it you're well compensated.

Up until the moment you get fired when the studio is closed down after losing money for years because you've been churning out nothing but bad Kinect games, and Microsoft corporate were the ones who told you to make Kinect games.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

d3rt posted:

in the same vein, why couldn't(didn't) infiniminer sue the gently caress out of mojang/microsoft?

ToastyPotato posted:

(assuming anything related to MC and block games is up for grabs.)
You can't protect basic ideas like "terrain made from blocks you can place or remove" or "crafting with blocks harvested in the world". Game rules and concepts have long been determined to be un-copyrightable. Trademarks are stronger but Minecraft and Infiniminer are obviously different from the perspective of trademark. Some of the most obvious Minecraft ripoffs on the other hand might be.

With really deep pockets you can file lawsuits on pretty flimsy pretexts, ala Apple's "design patents" for smartphones. But that requires starting out by abusing the patent system by using all sorts of tactics to push bad patents through the system first. Microsoft can't take their new acquisition in that direction, it's too late and there's prior art.

OTOH I would be very careful with a mod team for minecraft that says they're going to turn that mod into a full product. Microsoft is gonna be watching very closely for the chain of code use from Minecraft to their program.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vib Rib posted:

I feel like the whole Infiniminer situation has become really warped over time, and I remember back in the day when people would rage on Minecraft for being an Infiniminer ripoff, stealing profits, etc.
But I'm pretty sure Infiniminer was designed as little more than a tech demo, and there was no interest in pursuing the concept or making a real game of it, even when people asked, and no hatred was ever harbored towards Notch for his work. It always felt like people were just eager to imagine a narrative of theft and betrayal for the underdog, but Infiniminer was pretty much closed before Minecraft even hit the scene.
Yeah, Zach Barth had quit development of Infiniminer by the time Minecraft came out.

(Though the story was a bit different from it just being a tech demo: he stopped because it was a .Net program that got disassembled and people were making cheats and hacks and complete forks of the game. Since it was a competitive game that kinda ruined it. So he made SpaceChem instead. Zach is a chill guy, has always said Minecraft didn't steal from his game.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Schweinhund posted:

Do any of their games support mods as in programmed mods, not just skins or sound packs? I'm not familiar with any of their games so I don't know.
Aside from flight simulator back in the day (which had huge mod support), they've generally been about the industry baseline for mods: no extra effort to make games moddable, but not taking heroic measures to block modding either. But that's all based around mid-2000s stuff, who knows what their policy would be these days. They don't do anything for the PC these days. Sony makes more games for the PC than MS does. Almost all the MS Studios stuff that comes to PC is independent dev published by MS, aside from a few things like the Fable re-release or Halo phone game shovelware.

Keep in mind that the only reason Minecraft "supports" code-based mods is that interpreted java is easy to hack, and there's a whole cottage industry built around making that easy for the end-user. There's no API, there's no direct access. Aside from their intent to "support" modding, the end result isn't that much better than plenty of games that don't support modding, and lots worse than Bethesda or KSP.

But you probably don't need to worry about Minecraft 2 not supporting mods -- they'd be idiots to do that.